ADVERTISEMENT

Are all schools about titles or academics?

Ben-Badd

Sep 26, 2016
Just curious, are some schools content with mediocraty, or do they want titles when its obviously to no avail...just curious.maybe the kids academics are first

The US is behind most developed countries in education so you might as well go for the titles. Being the smartest of the dumb is no accomplishment. Hopefully Devos will turn it around?

The US is behind most developed countries in education so you might as well go for the titles. Being the smartest of the dumb is no accomplishment. Hopefully Devos will turn it around?

Devos??? You mean the women that has never even seen the inside of a Public School??? Don't sell the US short no matter what your perception of being behind might be. We are still the Worlds Super Power and ALL Countries look to us for leadership no matter the Educational scale... Why do you think the world is reacting the way it is to #45 who is obviously as you say "behind" in his intellectual development..

I can't believe this is even a question. Schools are about education first and foremost in this state. Athletics are an extra curricular activity. Very important but getting an education is #1. Some schools place more emphasis on football, give better resources to be successful, have a good demographic of students for success, strong booster club support, in school weight training, etc. For most student athletes, academic success will take them further in life than a good HS football career. And I don't think anybody is content with being mediocre in sports. Everybody wants to win.

Reactions: Ben-Badd
I can't believe this is even a question. Schools are about education first and foremost in this state. Athletics are an extra curricular activity. Very important but getting an education is #1. Some schools place more emphasis on football, give better resources to be successful, have a good demographic of students for success, strong booster club support, in school weight training, etc. For most student athletes, academic success will take them further in life than a good HS football career. And I don't think anybody is content with being mediocre in sports. Everybody wants to win.
Well said.....nuff said...

There is a link between highly successful athletic programs and high-performing academic schools. I was taking about this at work today. Good athletics leads to higher school spirit, and high school spirit makes kids care more about school. The more you care about school, the higher the academic achievement. The better you perform in athletics and extra-curricular activities, the higher the academic achievement.

Thanks for all that input... I sorry a understand better. Just something to throw out there besides sports.I know only a small percentage move on in athletics while at the same time some schools don't win very many athletic titles at all... not completely stupid here ...just something different.We need Drs. Lawyers..Indian chiefs too. Please forgive my ignorance...just somethin for the off season.

There is a link between highly successful athletic programs and high-performing academic schools. I was taking about this at work today. Good athletics leads to higher school spirit, and high school spirit makes kids care more about school. The more you care about school, the higher the academic achievement. The better you perform in athletics and extra-curricular activities, the higher the academic achievement.

True, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a school with high academic achievement that values athletics over academics. Looking at this years state champions. How many would you say are stellar academic institutions? WF, Weddington, South Pointe, Shelby, Reidsville, Dudley, Wallace, and Murphy.

How many head football coaches take a job because of the teaching assignment that goes with it?

Just something to talk about...NO. I'm not a coach, or, or teacher, or professor, or anything like at, just a fan...regular joe... but thanks again guys.

How many head football coaches take a job because of the teaching assignment that goes with it?
I would say a bunch. Most would much rather be in the weight room than teaching a science class. Or, if you're real lucky you can land one of those jobs like RC where you don't actually have any classes. Is it the same for Bailey at Scotland? This allows the HFC to recruit the halls during lunch, etc. And have some dedicated coaches to run the weight room for you.

Are you serious man Devos never been inside of a public school to realize what the teachers have to deal with on a daily basic. All teachers need more pay especially in NC. It's shame what the teachers salary are in NC compare to other states in the south. Why they don't organize and get a strong union to negotiate for them is beyond me because as long as the politicians makes the decisions about salaries they are never going to be compatiable to other states and believe it or not things in the south aren't that much cheaper than things in the north like food,clothing,utlities,medical insurance,etc. the only thing more expensive is housing in the north.

True, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a school with high academic achievement that values athletics over academics. Looking at this years state champions. How many would you say are stellar academic institutions? WF, Weddington, South Pointe, Shelby, Reidsville, Dudley, Wallace, and Murphy.

Murphy is actually a top school in North Carolina. Weddington is as well. Wake Forest is a great achiever. The only school on there that's marginally below-average would be Dudley. The rest are decent-good schools in their districts. Trust me, I teach at one that's nowhere near these schools academically or athletically.

Just curious, are some schools content with mediocraty, or do they want titles when its obviously to no avail...just curious.maybe the kids academics are first

The question should be "Are parents about chasing championship and athletic dream, than education?" Schools can only do so much, you still need parents at home to enforce homework or extra work. I do it with my kids all the time. And having my kids later in life, I can see even were the working parent will have to juggle a lot to get things done around extra curricular activities. But believe me when I have had many conversation with parents about "they cannot no anything with their kids" and if your kids are constantly getting into trouble, what is the punishment? Buy a new IPHONE? I mean if my kid is struggling in school, I can find a tutor, instead of spending money on that agility workout or going to AAU practice. Google SMART goals and see how many of us use these concepts when making decisions. The "R" is for REALISTIC, meaning their must be some "trade-offs" or "opportunity cost" in setting goals. What is given up to achieve what we want to achieve.

It is the coaches job to lead the parents and the kids to water, if they are thirsty enough. But we cannot make them drink it when they want Gatorade. I still have high school seniors, regular kids not athletic kids, that say they want to go to college but have not taken the SAT yet. And the only reason they have taken the ACT is because it is a state wide test now for free per school system. Now as coaches we preach to do this before the end of your junior year. We also show the parents and the kids what it takes to go to college when they arrive on campus. But when the parents do not know one of their kids teacher's name in four years and especially their guidance counselor of 4 years, then we have issues.

Let me stop the rant. Have a great Tuesday

The question should be "Are parents about chasing championship and athletic dream, than education?" Schools can only do so much, you still need parents at home to enforce homework or extra work. I do it with my kids all the time. And having my kids later in life, I can see even were the working parent will have to juggle a lot to get things done around extra curricular activities. But believe me when I have had many conversation with parents about "they cannot no anything with their kids" and if your kids are constantly getting into trouble, what is the punishment? Buy a new IPHONE? I mean if my kid is struggling in school, I can find a tutor, instead of spending money on that agility workout or going to AAU practice. Google SMART goals and see how many of us use these concepts when making decisions. The "R" is for REALISTIC, meaning their must be some "trade-offs" or "opportunity cost" in setting goals. What is given up to achieve what we want to achieve.

It is the coaches job to lead the parents and the kids to water, if they are thirsty enough. But we cannot make them drink it when they want Gatorade. I still have high school seniors, regular kids not athletic kids, that say they want to go to college but have not taken the SAT yet. And the only reason they have taken the ACT is because it is a state wide test now for free per school system. Now as coaches we preach to do this before the end of your junior year. We also show the parents and the kids what it takes to go to college when they arrive on campus. But when the parents do not know one of their kids teacher's name in four years and especially their guidance counselor of 4 years, then we have issues.

Let me stop the rant. Have a great Tuesday

You're not ranting, you're preaching that good word.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
jmho, both can be done. It takes a large effort from players, coaches, school(admin) and community. However, if all schools want are titles, then coaching and preparation of student-athletes takes priority. Let a head coach bring in his coaches and do the things he wants to do. If things don't work then let the coach know.

Devos??? You mean the women that has never even seen the inside of a Public School??? Don't sell the US short no matter what your perception of being behind might be. We are still the Worlds Super Power and ALL Countries look to us for leadership no matter the Educational scale... Why do you think the world is reacting the way it is to #45 who is obviously as you say "behind" in his intellectual development..
She tried to enter a public school in DC and the anarchist leftists physically blocked the way in and assaulted her on the way back to her car and one kept standing and moving in front of her car so she couldn't leave. There would be one less leftist anarchist in the US if I were driving Kids go to College and come out brainwashed by Liberal Leftist Professors. That's why regardless of academic level, US ranks so low in education.....in the thirties World wide. The US spends more per student than any other nation in the World!!! Hopefully Devos can rescue us from the brink!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT