ADVERTISEMENT

An unbiased look at the upcoming 1A State Playoffs!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
Well it's that time of year that gets us all excited, and ready for some playoff football...I must admit that I haven't seen every team play, but I have seen several teams play in the West, and have read a lot about the teams in the East, so here's my unbiased view of the playoff pairings and possibilities...

1A West
-------------
It just don't seem the same without Murphy who has been a fixture in the 1A playoffs for several years, but it does open up a lot of different possibilities with the Bulldogs playing in the 1AA playoffs...

The teams with the 4 Byes(Mitchell, MICS, TJCA and Cherokee) are all capable teams of making it to the state finals, but the road will run through Mitchell County which will be a tough and generally cold trip to make this time of year for opponents...The fact that the 4 above teams will get a week to heal and rest up before their 2nd round games, is also an advantage that hasn't been in the 1A playoffs prior to this year, and that can't be discounted either...

I expect Mitchell County to be waiting in the 3rd round for either Robbinsville or MICS....I would love for my Rosman Tigers to surprise the Black Knights and Raptors on their way to Mitchell, but that is really too much to ask for a team that has struggled for most of the season to stop any opponent they've faced....If it is a Robbinsville/MICS 2nd round game, it will be a game of two different styles, and I have seen both teams play....MICS is a very dangerous team if you can't control the QB or RB because both can, and will take it to the house in a hurry....Did not really get to see much from the WRs for the Raptors as the QB didn't have the time to find them at Thomas Jefferson due to the pass rush, and bad snaps from the center who put Graham in a bad position on passing attempts on many occasions that night, but make no mistake, the Raptors Wrs are big and atheletic, and will pose a serious problem for opponents in the playoffs....As for Robbinsville, they are big and tough up front on both sides of the ball, and it's very difficult to run the ball between the tackles against the Black Knights...The Sophomore RB has really come into his own late in the season, and had a breakout game IMO against Cherokee with over 100yds rushing that night, and the QB Bridges has also really improved since the beginning of the season, and has a definite target in Orr who seemingly catches everything thrown his way....It would really be a great matchup if it comes to pass between the Black Knights and Raptors, and both would pose a challenge to Mitchell, but they would also have to stop the twin "Bees" as I will call them in Ben Young and Ben Robinson who both weigh about the same, and both are tough as nails runners...Young also has a great arm, and has several good targets to throw to who know how to catch the ball...It would be a very difficult game for either Robbinsville or MICS in the 3rd round to knock off the Mountaineers who are a veteran team, but nothing is impossible when the 3rd round rolls around...

In the other side of the Bracket, Elkin definitely turned some heads when they knocked off previously unbeaten East Wilkes a couple weeks ago, and it's obvious that the Bucking-Elks are playing their best football at the right time of the year, so I expect them to travel to Thomas Jefferson for the 2nd round....The Gryphons are a senior dominated team who have a very talented QB who is capable of putting the team on his back when healthy, but that is the question?....How healthy is McMullens after the loss at the Union Academy, since he was apparently injured in that game?....Fortunately, he does have two weeks to heal up before his first playoff game....I have not seen Elkin play, but they could pose a serious challenge if Mcmullens is not healthy enough to run the ball which is a strength for the team for sure...The RB Lane is also a tough little runner who is low to the ground, and hard to locate before he is 4 or 5 yards down the field, so that will be a challenge for Elkin in stopping the running efforts of both McMullens and Lane if both are healthy...

Cherokee will be a difficult opponent for either Elkin or Thomas Jefferson as the Braves if healthy are tough to run on, and their offense is tough to defend due to the scambling and throwing ability of Mintz who is a 3 year starter at QB, and has a familiar target at Wr in brother Cade who runs good routes, and catches just about everything that his brother throws to him....The Evans kid if healthy is a big and mobile RB who runs the ball well between the tackles, and does have enough speed to make it tough on the LBers to close on him....

As I stated above, I could easily see any of the 4 top teams in the West advancing to the state title game, and I would not discount Robbinsville with all their Senior leadership and recent playoff success...

1A East
-----------

In the East, North Duplin is the early favorite, and will have home field advantage throughout the playoffs which gives them an advantage along with the play of their QB, and they seem to know how to win the close games as the Caroliina Conference was one of the more competitive 1A conferences in the state this year with the exception of Hobbton who didn't win a game this season...It will be interesing to see which team wins the Southside/Northside-PT first round game, and gets to play the Rebels in the 2nd round...Northside seems to be playing really well right now, so they could be a tough 2nd round matchup for the Rebels, but we will see?....I expect North Duplin to be standing when the Eastern 1A final is played, but who will be their opponent....Northampton has had an incredible and historic season winning their last 10 games, but the Jaguars played in a terrible conference which didn't really challenge them....The 1A school that did challenge them early in the season was Plymouth who just so happens to be in their part of the bracket....The Vikings have been there and done that so to speak as they have played in the last 5 straight 1A Finals, winning twice, so they will not be intimidated one bit....I expect Plymouth to challenge Northampton for the right to play North Duplin, and would not be surprised to see the Vikings in the state title game again, but they or Northampton will have to play their best game of the season to beat North Duplin IMO....

Well folks, that's how I see it, and I welcome comments regarding the upcoming playoffs...

Good luck to all the 1A teams and especially those Rosman Tigers...

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Well it's that time of year that gets us all excited, and ready for some playoff football...I must admit that I haven't seen every team play, but I have seen several teams play in the West, and have read a lot about the teams in the East, so here's my unbiased view of the playoff pairings and possibilities...

1A West
-------------
It just don't seem the same without Murphy who has been a fixture in the 1A playoffs for several years, but it does open up a lot of different possibilities with the Bulldogs playing in the 1AA playoffs...

The teams with the 4 Byes(Mitchell, MICS, TJCA and Cherokee) are all capable teams of making it to the state finals, but the road will run through Mitchell County which will be a tough and generally cold trip to make this time of year for opponents...The fact that the 4 above teams will get a week to heal and rest up before their 2nd round games, is also an advantage that hasn't been in the 1A playoffs prior to this year, and that can't be discounted either...

I expect Mitchell County to be waiting in the 3rd round for either Robbinsville or MICS....I would love for my Rosman Tigers to surprise the Black Knights and Raptors on their way to Mitchell, but that is really too much to ask for a team that has struggled for most of the season to stop any opponent they've faced....If it is a Robbinsville/MICS 2nd round game, it will be a game of two different styles, and I have seen both teams play....MICS is a very dangerous team if you can't control the QB or RB because both can, and will take it to the house in a hurry....Did not really get to see much from the WRs for the Raptors as the QB didn't have the time to find them at Thomas Jefferson due to the pass rush, and bad snaps from the center who put Graham in a bad position on passing attempts on many occasions that night, but make no mistake, the Raptors Wrs are big and atheletic, and will pose a serious problem for opponents in the playoffs....As for Robbinsville, they are big and tough up front on both sides of the ball, and it's very difficult to run the ball between the tackles against the Black Knights...The Sophomore RB has really come into his own late in the season, and had a breakout game IMO against Cherokee with over 100yds rushing that night, and the QB Bridges has also really improved since the beginning of the season, and has a definite target in Orr who seemingly catches everything thrown his way....It would really be a great matchup if it comes to pass between the Black Knights and Raptors, and both would pose a challenge to Mitchell, but they would also have to stop the twin "Bees" as I will call them in Ben Young and Ben Robinson who both weigh about the same, and both are tough as nails runners...Young also has a great arm, and has several good targets to throw to who know how to catch the ball...It would be a very difficult game for either Robbinsville or MICS in the 3rd round to knock off the Mountaineers who are a veteran team, but nothing is impossible when the 3rd round rolls around...

In the other side of the Bracket, Elkin definitely turned some heads when they knocked off previously unbeaten East Wilkes a couple weeks ago, and it's obvious that the Bucking-Elks are playing their best football at the right time of the year, so I expect them to travel to Thomas Jefferson for the 2nd round....The Gryphons are a senior dominated team who have a very talented QB who is capable of putting the team on his back when healthy, but that is the question?....How healthy is McMullens after the loss at the Union Academy, since he was apparently injured in that game?....Fortunately, he does have two weeks to heal up before his first playoff game....I have not seen Elkin play, but they could pose a serious challenge if Mcmullens is not healthy enough to run the ball which is a strength for the team for sure...The RB Lane is also a tough little runner who is low to the ground, and hard to locate before he is 4 or 5 yards down the field, so that will be a challenge for Elkin in stopping the running efforts of both McMullens and Lane if both are healthy...

Cherokee will be a difficult opponent for either Elkin or Thomas Jefferson as the Braves if healthy are tough to run on, and their offense is tough to defend due to the scambling and throwing ability of Mintz who is a 3 year starter at QB, and has a familiar target at Wr in brother Cade who runs good routes, and catches just about everything that his brother throws to him....The Evans kid if healthy is a big and mobile RB who runs the ball well between the tackles, and does have enough speed to make it tough on the LBers to close on him....

As I stated above, I could easily see any of the 4 top teams in the West advancing to the state title game, and I would not discount Robbinsville with all their Senior leadership and recent playoff success...

1A East
-----------

In the East, North Duplin is the early favorite, and will have home field advantage throughout the playoffs which gives them an advantage along with the play of their QB, and they seem to know how to win the close games as the Caroliina Conference was one of the more competitive 1A conferences in the state this year with the exception of Hobbton who didn't win a game this season...It will be interesing to see which team wins the Southside/Northside-PT first round game, and gets to play the Rebels in the 2nd round...Northside seems to be playing really well right now, so they could be a tough 2nd round matchup for the Rebels, but we will see?....I expect North Duplin to be standing when the Eastern 1A final is played, but who will be their opponent....Northampton has had an incredible and historic season winning their last 10 games, but the Jaguars played in a terrible conference which didn't really challenge them....The 1A school that did challenge them early in the season was Plymouth who just so happens to be in their part of the bracket....The Vikings have been there and done that so to speak as they have played in the last 4 straight 1A Finals, winning twice, so they will not be intimidated one bit....I expect Plymouth to challenge Northampton for the right to play North Duplin, and would not be surprised to see the Vikings in the state title game again, but they or Northampton will have to play their best game of the season to beat North Duplin IMO....

Well folks, that's how I see it, and I welcome comments regarding the upcoming playoffs...

Good luck to all the 1A teams and especially those Rosman Tigers...

Roar Tigers Roar!

Thanks for that breakdown

Reactions: jh60
As always Rick-great articles and perspectives! If I were a betting man I would definitely put my money on your selections!

Reactions: jh60
Almost perfect. Plymouth has been the last 5 straight years. I agree that it should be Mitchell vs Plymouth or North Duplin in Raleigh next month for the title.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Almost perfect. Plymouth has been the last 5 straight years. I agree that it should be Mitchell vs Plymouth or North Duplin in Raleigh next month for the title.

My apologies....I've edited the original post....It's quite an accomplishment by your Vikings, and most definitely it's the best run to the title games since Robbinsville won 5 straight titles between 1979-83...Of course, Murphy has played in 5 of the last 7 title games themselves which is also a great accomplishment...Stability in the coaching staff is always a big plus, and both David Gentry and Robert Cody know how to Coach in the big games when the lights come on.....Good luck to your Vikings in the playoffs....

My unbiased opinion that 1A west is just really bad! Mitchell will steam roll through it.

My unbiased opinion that 1A west is just really bad! Mitchell will steam roll through it.

I don't know that I would say that the 1A West is "really bad" as you put it....Afterall, Both Cherokee and Thomas Jefferson shared their respective conference titles, and both finished 10-1` on the season as did Mitchell County....MICS and Robbinsville are both very talented teams that can beat any of the above 3 teams on a given day....The rest of the playoff field have all had their struggles this year, but Elkin did hand East Wilkes their first loss of the season a couple weeks back, and the Union Academy did the same to Thomas Jefferson last week, so there are some teams capable of springing the upset if the ball bounces right.....Mitchell is the number one seed, so it's not really a stretch to think they would run the table since they will be at home as long as they win, and they are 1 of the 4 teams that does have a BYE in the first round which is a big advantage....Don't sleep on Robbinsville because the Black Knights are more than capable of putting together a run, and they are also a veteran team with more size up front than probably any 1A team in the playoffs....I've seen them play 3 times, and I've seen Mitchell play twice, and I think it will be a close game if they match up....Same for Cherokee who is also a veteran team as is Thomas Jefferson....Of course, you've got your opinion, and I have mine....Guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out...

Roar Tigers Roar!

It's really bad compared to the rest of the classifications. Just a few decent teams and a LOT of bad ones. That is what I meant to say.

I love how these guys come on here and love to bash 1a . Well we do with what we have 300 kids compared to 800 is a huge diff. Why don’t you go play shelby or crest or Charlotte big schools ? That be about as compareable. It’s pretty awesome that these small schools get that many kids to play and are usually competitive . Schools like rosman and hsyesville have bad records but there isn’t anyone smaller for them to play they alway are against bigger schools

Don't worry some Texas and Florida 6a schools say the same about our NC 3 and 4a schools versus their quality and size.

People don’t understand I think it’s funny Swain always beats there chest for beating Cherokee but heck what you expect. I hate to say this but that’s what make Robbinsville pretty special they year in an out are really good with small enrollment . I love watching 1a football it’s pure the kids play qb then play linebacker then punts the ball then returns kick offs . I respect those kids we finished the year several seasons ago wth 15/16 players . Those kids weren’t good but never quit

Andrews 228? Wow.

The makes me think something WILL happen with the Cherokee county schools combining.

I bet andrew could beat any team in the state with 228 or less kids.
I agree, but people don't need to feel too bad for Andrews, they have some legit talent on the way. 'Cats had a real good JV and a real good Midget team this year.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
My apologies....I've edited the original post....It's quite an accomplishment by your Vikings, and most definitely it's the best run to the title games since Robbinsville won 5 straight titles between 1979-83...Of course, Murphy has played in 5 of the last 7 title games themselves which is also a great accomplishment...Stability in the coaching staff is always a big plus, and both David Gentry and Robert Cody know how to Coach in the big games when the lights come on.....Good luck to your Vikings in the playoffs....

No problems about that, we're just proud of what we have accomplished. Besides, if I need to correct someone in the future they will believe your post before mine. Lol Thanks for the good vibes, we will need them I'm sure. I think the kids are starting to get it. We lost our entire defense from last season, but seeing them shutout Manteo last week revived hope. Thanks for all the work you put in as I enjoy reading your post.

It's really bad compared to the rest of the classifications. Just a few decent teams and a LOT of bad ones. That is what I meant to say.

Hate to say this but I agree, Mitchell is the only decent team, hoping Murphy would have been small 1a.

Just saying Andrews would beat any school same size. Settle down

It is about overall competition. Why not combine 1A and 1AA and get rid of all the really bad teams in the small 1A. You take a pretty decent team like Murphy or Mitchell and put them in with that lack of talent and they have a field day. Just look at the at competition at the 2A level and up. You will possibly have two 10-1 teams playing in the 2nd rd. I am not saying 1A should play 2A talent and above because that would be a total mismatch. I am just saying they need to strengthen the small 1A playoffs somehow. It is just really bad.

Andrews new ADM number is 228. They played most of the season with 22 kids, some of them injured at times. They were only shut out 1 time, by Fannin County(Ga)

Hard to imagine a school with just 228 kids in the whole school. Why don't they combine with Murphy and have a 2A school. Would hurt football wise but makes sense.

So your snswer is to make Andrews play eveb bigger tesm to compete.

450 and under would be good for 1a. Every school could compete.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Why would any team want a bye?I know it might be good if you have kids who are hurt but you also lose that revenue for a home game.Just seems to me like you are penalizing a team for winning their conference.

I love how these guys come on here and love to bash 1a . Well we do with what we have 300 kids compared to 800 is a huge diff. Why don’t you go play shelby or crest or Charlotte big schools ? That be about as compareable. It’s pretty awesome that these small schools get that many kids to play and are usually competitive . Schools like rosman and hsyesville have bad records but there isn’t anyone smaller for them to play they alway are against bigger schools
Andrews has its lowest numbers ever at 226

If only somebody had thought of that already...
It’s a thing called PRIDE !! Pride of school, Pride of community & Pride of the game. Evidently something that a lot of people will not understand. Especially Piles !! Andrews, Murphy & Hiwassee Dam are happy just the way it is and proud of our teams just the way they are. But to many parents, athletes and yes coaches that recruit will never understand the concept in a world full of Me instead of TEAM. Piles go troll on 4 A

Last edited:
Hard to imagine a school with just 228 kids in the whole school. Why don't they combine with Murphy and have a 2A school. Would hurt football wise but makes sense.
Even harder to believe a little ways down the road from Andrews is Nantahala, a school of just 27 kids. I do not know the scope of the consolidation and splitting Cherokee Co. but I know I'd be hurt losing out on my high school team that I rooted for my whole life.

It is about overall competition. Why not combine 1A and 1AA and get rid of all the really bad teams in the small 1A. You take a pretty decent team like Murphy or Mitchell and put them in with that lack of talent and they have a field day. Just look at the at competition at the 2A level and up. You will possibly have two 10-1 teams playing in the 2nd rd. I am not saying 1A should play 2A talent and above because that would be a total mismatch. I am just saying they need to strengthen the small 1A playoffs somehow. It is just really bad.

It's obvious Piles that you and a few others never attended a small school, or understand the challenges that they face in just fielding a team much less winning most of their games against bigger class opponents or larger 1A schools with more enrollment...Team depth as mentioned above, is always a problem, and reason why so many kids play on both sides of the ball, and a couple injuries can make all the difference for a small school team and their overall record.....At small schools such as Andrews, Hayesville, Rosman, Cherokee, Robbinsville and many others throughout the state, good teams run in cycles for the most part because some classes have more girls than they do boys in some years, and talent runs in cycles more so at small schools that bigger ones....Robbinsville stays competitive due to the fact that they have the best established tradition for a school their size in the state of North Carolina, and most of the boys with any skill or size want to play for the Black Knights as did their fathers and their grandfathers before them, and they still have a link to that past tradition in Head Coach Dee Walsh who played for Bob Colvin who is largely responsible for starting that tradition that became second to none for a school that size...Schools in remote areas also have trouble keeping kids in their district, due to the fact that good paying jobs for their parents, are not as common as they are in other more densely populated areas that offer more opportunities for higher paying jobs....Transylvania County where I live used to have the lowest employment rate in the state, and had 3 large industries that employed over 3,000 people combined at one time when they were at their peak....Brevard used to have a student body in the 1960's thru the 1970's and 80's that was near or over 1500 students at times,, and the football program was very successful during those eras, but now have half or less than that, and great teams are not as common as they were back then....Rosman's student body has stayed pretty close to the same in recent years around 350 students, and it's true that Brevard and Rosman could consolidate if the people of the county wanted that to happen, but a majority don't because they love their two schools, and would lose that pride and identity if that were to happen....

I railed against the previous playoff system since it's inception back in 2001 when the state doubled the playoff field from 32 to 64 teams, and then subdivided to create two 1A Champions because there were a lot more schools than there are now that made the playoffs, and shouldn't have, and that's probably still the case even with 48 teams, but it is at least better than it was last year or since 2001....I played football in an era where if you didn't win your conference, you generally didn't make the playoffs, and there were some very deserving teams back then that were at home come playoff time because of that....That all changed in 1985 when the playoff field was expanded from 8 to 32 teams, and that was a great and balanced formula IMO until the state changed it again in 2001 to include more playoff teams....Andrews has one of the longest and most storied histories in 1A Football, and I'm sure that their fanbase would hate to see that disappear by consolidating with other Cherokee County Schools even though they only have 228 kids in that little old school this year.... Murphy also has a long storied history in football, and has had the same Head Coach since the early 1980's...Same for Swain County who established a tradition under Boyce Dietz in the late 1970's, and have carried that foward by hiring his assistants and former players thru the years, so both of those programs have been able to continue that success and tradition, and have won recent state championships in spite of having less or around 550 kids in school most years....

Again if you didn't attend a small town school, you probably don't understand what it means to play or watch kids grow up, and represent that school on a friday night in that small town...It's different than any other classification because generally everyone that lives in those little towns get to know those kids on a personal basis, or are related to them, and either know or played football with their fathers or grandfathers on that same High School team....That's why it's so special for many of us who follow 1A Football...I know this doesn't answer yout question to why there are teams with losing records making the playoffs, but I think the NCHSAA appears to be tweaking that formula this year by reducing the playoff field from 64 to 48 teams,and is beginning to reward those 1A schools who play a tougher schedule....A lot of these smaller teams generally have to play teams that are much larger than themselves to just fill out the schedule, and the records of a lot of those teams reflect that...

Just my two cents!

Rick, which Mitchell games did you see?

I of course watched the Thursday night game on WMYA when Mitchell traveled to Polk County, and my brother and I attended the Mitchell/Mountain Heritage game earlier this season...Seen Mountain Heritage play 3 times this year...Once on TV vs Erwin, and the game against your Mountaineers and the game at Rosman against the Tigers....

Reactions: wormyone42
Not sure what you mean by that statement BK.
Just saying Andrews would beat any school same size. Settle down
Thought that's what you meant. I'm cool. Problem is there's no school in the SMC with our numbers so we have to play who's in front of us whatever their size. We regularly play against schools 2 or 3 times our enrollment. Some years we can compete fairly well some not so well. Once every 10 years or so we can even give Murphy or Swain a good game. I wasn't looking for sympathy just explaining to this Piles character why 1A is "weak"(his words not mine). It sounds like he doesn't want any schools in the playoffs unless they have winning records.

Thanks Rick, love your insight on all things 1a. Heritage took us completely off our game by dominating the LOS they have a great line this year.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Even harder to believe a little ways down the road from Andrews is Nantahala, a school of just 27 kids. I do not know the scope of the consolidation and splitting Cherokee Co. but I know I'd be hurt losing out on my high school team that I rooted for my whole life.
My mother graduated from Andrews a long time ago when the student only had to complete 11 grades. My father quit at age 11 and went to work with his father logging and hauling acid wood and tanbark to the local tannery. Me and all my older siblings graduated there as did my children. Now my grandchildren are in school and I would like to see them graduate from Andrews. I'm against consolidation but am told that it's inevitable, probably sooner than later

I'm an old-school guy too.Remember when here in Haywood county we had Canton,Clyde,Bethel ,Waynesville and Reynolds high schools.Saw some really good games back then.One of the reasons I still try to see a few SMC games every year is because it reminds me of some of those Haywood county games years ago.

I also remember when everyone was against combining those schools into just two.Some said it would never work.Now they never mention that.It has worked O.K.Went to the Canton ,Bethel middle school game this year.Bethel fans on one side Canton fans on the other side pulling for their team.After the game was over we had a JV game.All those Bethel fans got up went to the other side to pull for the Bears.Do I miss the way it was before ,sure I do. But I kinda like it now too.I am sure they will eventually consolidate some of the SMC schools mainly because of the cost.Some will be against it but in the end it will work out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT