ADVERTISEMENT

Allen Brown....Hall of Fame

Congratulations to Thomasville's Coach Allen Brown for his induction yesterday into the NCHSAA Hall of Fame. Perhaps now the association will amend its record listing to show Coach Brown as winning the most games in state history at one school....331.
Great job Coach!

OC, why not credit for all wins?

OC, why not credit for all wins?
The NCHSAA was never a friend to Coach Brown. I won't speculate on the reason.
I keep hearing that the school needs to submit the information. It's well documented by many newspaper articles over the years. Some of those were sent to the association by one of the Preps posters. I suspect the record was mentioned in the induction ceremony.
Keep in mind that, for much of his tenure, Coach Brown was the athletic director. I can promise you that personal recognition was (and still is) farthest from Allen Brown's mind.
Add to that the fact that the last superintendent never spoke to Coach Brown, even though he was still coaching in her first year.
If submission of the record by the school is the holdup, it needs to happen immediately. I plan to make that call today. Hopefully, it will help.

The NCHSAA was never a friend to Coach Brown. I won't speculate on the reason.
I keep hearing that the school needs to submit the information. It's well documented by many newspaper articles over the years. Some of those were sent to the association by one of the Preps posters. I suspect the record was mentioned in the induction ceremony.
Keep in mind that, for much of his tenure, Coach Brown was the athletic director. I can promise you that personal recognition was (and still is) farthest from Allen Brown's mind.
Add to that the fact that the last superintendent never spoke to Coach Brown, even though he was still coaching in her first year.
If submission of the record by the school is the holdup, it needs to happen immediately. I plan to make that call today. Hopefully, it will help.
Thanks for info, keeps informed on how it progresses.

Congratulations to Thomasville's Coach Allen Brown for his induction yesterday into the NCHSAA Hall of Fame. Perhaps now the association will amend its record listing to show Coach Brown as winning the most games in state history at one school....331.
Great job Coach!

Congratulations to Coach Brown and the great Thomasville program. I know a few Thomasville alumni who knew Coach Brown quite well, including my friend O.C. Davis. I asked someone if O.C., might have played for Coach Brown, but I was told that he played for Thomasville hall of fame coach George Cushwa, of whom the Bulldogs impressive stadium is named after. Coach Cushwa, was inducted along with Ashley (now Ashbrook) High Coach Everette Carlton, a Lincoln County native who is buried just north of Lincolnton at Daniels Church.

The record keeping and updating at the NCHSAA has been lacking over the years. The record book is in terrible need of updates and corrections by someone with basic knowledge and common sense for each sport.

Reactions: rambbq
Congrats to Coach Brown and AMEN to btango's comment....being saying that for years....slow to update if ever and don't really seem interested in providing accurate info.................

Congratulations to Coach Brown and the great Thomasville program. I know a few Thomasville alumni who knew Coach Brown quite well, including my friend O.C. Davis. I asked someone if O.C., might have played for Coach Brown, but I was told that he played for Thomasville hall of fame coach George Cushwa, of whom the Bulldogs impressive stadium is named after. Coach Cushwa, was inducted along with Ashley (now Ashbrook) High Coach Everette Carlton, a Lincoln County native who is buried just north of Lincolnton at Daniels Church.
Great to hear from you, Lincolnton. Hope all is well with you, my friend.
Actually, both of the above. I was one of the few fortunate folks to play for Coach Cushwa and Coach Brown. Coach Cushwa was my head coach, and Coach Brown was my position coach as an assistant.
Forty plus years later, I consider Allen and his family to be my friends, but have too much respect for him to claim to be his peer. Like hundreds of guys younger than me, he'll always be my coach.
Seven state championships, 331 wins and coach of the first team in North Carolina to go 16-0. He has nothing left to prove and deserves all the accolades he can get. More importantly, he commanded and was awarded respect by those around him. Neither social status, athletic prowess nor skin color mattered to him. He gave and expected that respect from his players and it didn't matter whether it was the star qb or the manager. A dying breed, unfortunately. We should all aspire to his integrity, his dedication and his passion.

OC, thanks for the information.Two great mentors, and I can only imagine whom else might have had an influence on you but it shows in your deep sense of character.
Two hall of fame coaches whose guidance spanning so many football seasons is what I call tradition.
Good luck to the Bulldogs against the, well, Bulldogs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT