ADVERTISEMENT

All-time top 4A Teams

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Fun topic that should get a lot of attention and comments. Now, I know some teams have played some years in different classifications, but this is for their time in 4A.

Who are the top 4A programs of all-time?

There are a few criteria that should be looked at when determining this

All-time winning %, overall wins, and # of State Championships

Just off the top of my head, I would say.. Richmond County, Page, Butler, Indy

Last edited:
Richmond County Raiders
520-117-5
81.4% Winning Percentage
7 4A State Championships

Page Pirates
483-218-9
68.7% Winning Percentage
5 4A State Championships - 2 4A Runner-up

Independence Patriots
412-250-2
62.2% Winning Percentage
7 4A State Championships - 1 4A Runner-up

Butler Bulldogs
262-76-0
77.5% Winning Percentage
3 4A State Championships

Mallard Creek Mavericks
157-46-1
77.2% Winning Percentage
3 4A State Championships - 1 4A Runner-up

Rose Rampants?
I don't have accurate overall wins and winning percentage on them, but 5 4A State Titles and 1 4A Runner-up

Wake Forest Cougars?
I don't have accurate overall wins and winning percentage on them, but 3 4A State Titles and 3 4A Runner-up

Last edited:
As soon as I saw this thread these teams came to mind. Richmond County, Independence, Page and Greenville Rose.

Richmond County Raiders
520-117-5
81.4% Winning Percentage
7 4A State Championships

Page Pirates
483-218-9
68.7% Winning Percentage
5 4A State Championships - 2 4A Runner-up

Independence Patriots
412-250-2
62.2% Winning Percentage
7 4A State Championships - 1 4A Runner-up

Butler Bulldogs
262-76-0
77.5% Winning Percentage
3 4A State Championships

Mallard Creek Mavericks
157-46-1
77.2% Winning Percentage
3 4A State Championships - 1 4A Runner-up

Rose Rampants?
I don't have accurate overall wins and winning percentage on them, but 5 4A State Titles and 1 4A Runner-up

Wake Forest Cougars?
I don't have accurate overall wins and winning percentage on them, but 3 3A State Titles and 3 4A Runner-up
62% winning percentage while having a winning streak that was over a 100 tells me at their peak Indy was special for 8 years outside of that time period they were pedestrian. They had a great coach, players and run but is Indy a great program? I don’t think so but I went to Butler so I might be biased.

62% winning percentage while having a winning streak that was over a 100 tells me at their peak Indy was special for 8 years outside of that time period they were pedestrian. They had a great coach, players and run but is Indy a great program? I don’t think so but I went to Butler so I might be biased.

It was great for eight years lol

Really depends on what the criteria is. I've never really thought won loss % was a good metric. Way different levels of competition both in conferences and out.

Based on championships New Bern is in the conversation, for sure. It's just harder to base what they've done on wins because of different classifications.

Reactions: 87SwO
Not real sure of our records or win percentage but from 1980-present we have been to a at least one state championship game in each decade (‘89, ‘99, ‘02, 09, ‘17) 3 4A titles and having 2 runner up finishes. I feel that is sustained winning program. Probably not to be considered the best but surely among the best.

Edit: We haven’t been to state title game in the 2020 decade yet, but have been successful in the playoffs this decade.

Not real sure of our records or win percentage but from 1980-present we have been to a at least one state championship game in each decade (‘89, ‘99, ‘02, 09, ‘17) 3 4A titles and having 2 runner up finishes. I feel that is sustained winning program. Probably not to be considered the best but surely among the best.

Edit: We haven’t been to state title game in the 2020 decade yet, but have been successful in the playoffs this decade.
I was super close to adding AC Reynolds but I just wasnt sure based on the data I had.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
New Hanover
538-403
57% winning percentage
4 State championships
I do not feel NH is one of the best programs in the state but here are some interesting numbers. They are one of the oldest and when they have had good coaching they have always been solid. Four championships is four championships.

Can the the

The Dboyz is like Crest , we've also had success in the 4A ranks. I know we're not a 4A team currently, but since we're also speaking on the past I'll throw Dudley's 2013 and 2016 4A state champs hat in there.
Went against both those teams. Both really really strong teams. Well coached and disciplined. I do agree with comparison to Crest with 4A success

It is a shame there isn't a place to find historical information regarding programs. Carolina Preps is still a good source. Rose and New Bern basically have years missing when it comes to season records. Wish there was a centralized data location. Maxpreps only goes back so far. So I agree with what has been said about hard topic to discuss with so many variables and possible criteria.

Being the homer I am, Richmonds numbers are ridiculous. They have had 2 losing seasons in 50 years. Butler is the only school that is close to that, with 1 losing season in 25 years. 7-1 in Championship games and lost to the Champ in 5 of their 7 Regional finals loses (2 to Indy in 03 &04).

This pains me to say this but.....even though they don't have the titles....Scotland county is 434-212 with only 7 losing seasons since 1967. That is pretty stout.

It is a shame there isn't a place to find historical information regarding programs. Carolina Preps is still a good source. Rose and New Bern basically have years missing when it comes to season records. Wish there was a centralized data location. Maxpreps only goes back so far. So I agree with what has been said about hard topic to discuss with so many variables and possible criteria.

Being the homer I am, Richmonds numbers are ridiculous. They have had 2 losing seasons in 50 years. Butler is the only school that is close to that, with 1 losing season in 25 years. 7-1 in Championship games and lost to the Champ in 5 of their 7 Regional finals loses (2 to Indy in 03 &04).

This pains me to say this but.....even though they don't have the titles....Scotland county is 434-212 with only 7 losing seasons since 1967. That is pretty stout.
CP is being updated weekly. One man show and it is a bit tedious.

CP is being updated weekly. One man show and it is a bit tedious.
Chris and Deana both do an amazing job grateful for their passion and contributions. Didn't mean to infer any slight regarding their work. I wish the schools themselves were more forth coming and better historians to make their jobs easier. It is a big state with new schools popping up throughout so i do not envy the task they face.

Chris and Deana both do an amazing job grateful for their passion and contributions. Didn't mean to infer any slight regarding their work. I wish the schools themselves were more forth coming and better historians to make their jobs easier. It is a big state with new schools popping up throughout so i do not envy the task they face.
I know you were not knocking CP! People have asked so just a good spot for an update.

I think game is Saturday. I just got back from five weeks out of town so I am a bit noncommittal at this point. Some good games in the area , too. There was a time I would have been there without question but getting old is hell.
I hear ya....plus, so damn hot

Reactions: btango

There used to be a site headed up by a guy from AC Reynolds. It may have just been western NC but it had great data. The guy who ran it passed away a few years ago.

Yeah, gobiggreen.net was the site, it only went so far back though. I think to 2002.

Last edited:
There used to be a site headed up by a guy from AC Reynolds. It may have just been western NC but it had great data. The guy who ran it passed away a few years ago.
Thanks for the kind words on my brothers website and his hard work to make it the best it could be. I remember him spending all weekends updating scores and records for each conference. It was his life and he so enjoyed it. I miss him so much not being on the sidelines doing stats with me. Sorry to be a downer but he was my brother! Thanks again for the kind words, we all miss him.

Thanks for the kind words on my brothers website and his hard work to make it the best it could be. I remember him spending all weekends updating scores and records for each conference. It was his life and he so enjoyed it. I miss him so much not being on the sidelines doing stats with me. Sorry to be a downer but he was my brother! Thanks again for the kind words, we all miss him.
I loved that site. Used to look at it a lot. I even tried going to it a few days ago when I was looking for some statistics for this thread, and quickly remembered it wasn't up anymore, and I remembered your brother. He was a great piece of our NC HS FB community and will always be remembered fondly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT