ADVERTISEMENT

All-time top 3A Teams

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Fun topic that should get a lot of attention and comments. Now, I know some teams have played some years in different classifications, but this is for their time in 3A.

Who are the top 3A programs of all-time?

Reactions: RealStihl
Shelby is the TRUE DYNASTY of all time regardless of classification in North Carolina.

There are a litany of unsolicited testimonials from their fan base on all boards stating it, so it must be true.

After them. It’s a toss up and it’ll just boil down to who someone pulls for or general areas of the State.

Last edited:
1987 Shelby
1988 Burlington Cummings
2003 South Point
2012 Northern Guilford
2014 Crest

Also Weddington but I can’t remember which team. All of their championship teams were good but one of their championship teams was elite across the board. I thought this particular team would have challenged for a 4A title if it was playing there.

Last edited:
In 1972, the 3A Shelby Golden Lions went 13-0 and won the WNCHSAA Championship Title
At season end, Shelby was voted the # 1 team in the state by the state’s Associated Press, over all associations and classifications.

We are not sure if that has ever happened before or since.

14 of the starting 22 position players were All Conference in 1972, and 4 of the other 8 were All Conference in 1973. That is 18 of the 22 were All Conference performers.
At that time, it was a 10 team conference that included Shelby, Crest, South Point Belmont, Burns, and Kings Mountain.
5 players from that team went on to start on Division 1 college football teams, 3 others on Division II teams and one started on a Division 1 college baseball team.

Last edited:
“Team” was in your thread title, so we responded to that.
Now we see you wanted “programs”.

Competing in the 3A classification, Shelby has won State Championship Titles in the following 8 years;
1947, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1975, 1976, 1986, and 1987.

3A Shelby has lost 6 State Championship Title games in;
1924, 1944, 1963, 1969, 1974, and 1988.

The Golden Lions’ dominance of the 2A classification since going 2A in 1997 is unmatched. Coupled with the above 3A stretch of consistency, we question why discuss separately?

Competing in the 3A classification, Shelby has won State Championship Titles in the following 8 years;

The Golden Lions’ dominance of the 2A classification since going 2A in 1997 is unmatched. Coupled with the above 3A stretch of consistency, we question why discuss separately?

Do you and your group of 20 gang attend Shelbyville games? I'd love to meet the faces behind this weirdo story telling stuff y'all do? Were you at the title game when SWO curb stomped Shelbyville?

Funny with any list you'll have to reference some of their time in other classifications and titles. Shelby has to be up there even if they haven't been 3A since the 90's. Hard to deny these squads:

Crest
Havelock
South Point
Asheville
Charlotte Catholic
AL Brown

Shelby is the TRUE DYNASTY of all time regardless of classification in North Carolina.

There are a litany of unsolicited testimonials from their fan base on all boards stating it so it must be true.

After them. It’s a toss up and it’ll just boil down to who someone pulls for or general areas of the State.

when I read the first sentence, I looked at this post, then left at the name and avatar I thought there was a glitch on the site. I was in a trance like wth is going on with ncpreps.

1987 Shelby
1988 Burlington Cummings
2003 South Point
2012 Northern Guilford
2014 Crest

Also Weddington but I can’t remember which team. All of their championship teams were good but one of their championship teams was elite across the board. I thought this particular team would have challenged for a 4A title if it was playing there.

That team was ahead of it;s time for NC football. They ran the ancestor to the spread(run and shoot), and had world class talent to use it.

2011 havelock
2013 havelock
2014 crest
2009 west Rowan
2010 west rowan

These are my all time teams in 3a
I’d also throw in Charlotte catholic

I may have missed some teams but this just for me recently the best teams I’ve seen

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
That team was ahead of it;s time for NC football. They ran the ancestor to the spread(run and shoot), and had world class talent to use it.
Yes I was at the state championship game when Cummings played Shelby in 88. Chuckle Burnette the quarterback was the real deal. Shelby was running the option out of the wishbone and Cummings was running no huddle 4 and 5 receiver sets with great talent at the skill positions. Those guys could have hit a hundred on Shelby if they wanted.

We know this is your calling in life and intend to keep you busy.

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24 and 87SwO
2008 Dudley team wasn't nothing to sneeze at. They went 15-0 with Rickey Lewis at QB/RB and that vaunted defense with the four horseman and Major Bryant roaming the middle at LB. If not one of the best teams in 3A at least the best defense I've seen. This the same squad that went into 4A Richmond County and came away with the W. They played Kannapolis Brown that year in the State Championship. I'll put that team up against any of the 4A schools also that were strong at the time around 07-08.

I did it on purpose. I know shouldn’t have but there was just something inside me that had to do it.

I feel almost prophetic. Or better yet I’m a ventriloquist. That’s it!
I think we all knew he was going to take your bait. Hook, line, and sinker. We were just waiting lol. Most of us are hoping that we do not get that 192 page ‘real dynasty’ documentary. Again.

I think we all knew he was going to take your bait. Hook, line, and sinker. We were just waiting lol. Most of us are hoping that we do not get that 192 page ‘real dynasty’ documentary. Again.
My goodness bro. That was epic. Pure gold in my book. I make myself believe that it’s all real. What I mean is that those dudes sit around and really believe all that stuff.

I often think there is a joke to it all but I’m not getting it. Then I think, those cats are loooooony! Like pull a knife on you and make you admit Shelby is the True Dynasty or else loony.

My goodness bro. That was epic. Pure gold in my book. I make myself believe that it’s all real. What I mean is that those dudes sit around and really believe all that stuff.

I often think there is a joke to it all but I’m not getting it. Then I think, those cats are loooooony! Like pull a knife on you and make you admit Shelby is the True Dynasty or else loony.
The most hilarious or insane part to me is that he went on the 4A board when those guys were debating about who were the best 4A teams and regurgitated that “One True Dynasty” manifesto to them. I felt sorry for the 4A board because he went on for DAYS 😂. It’s like he was determined to waterboard the 4A posters into submission with the one true dynasty posts. He basically had people screaming at him through their posts that they didn’t care but that did not stop him from going year by year explaining how the ‘one true dynasty’ is the greatest program ever introduced to the game of football. The 4A posters kept asking if they were being pranked 😂

The most hilarious or insane part to me is that he went on the 4A board when those guys were debating about who were the best 4A teams and regurgitated that “One True Dynasty” manifesto to them. I felt sorry for the 4A board because he went on for DAYS 😂. It’s like he was determined to waterboard the 4A posters into submission with the one true dynasty posts. He basically had people screaming at him through their posts that they didn’t care but that did not stop him from going year by year explaining how the ‘one true dynasty’ is the greatest program ever introduced to the game of football. The 4A posters kept asking if they were being pranked 😂
I have to be honest. That was some of the best stuff ever on this site. No joke. I belly laughed a lot when that was going on.

We can say whatever we want. Those cats are dedicated do or die religious about that stuff IMO.

If it’s a prank. Kudos to them.

I feel sorry for them to be honest…They honestly sound as if they worship Shelby more than God…If that is the truth, then I feel sorry for them. Atheism or not, it’s high school football…wake up old men

Reactions: 87SwO and beamer24
Has Ragsdale been mentioned. I watched one year when they had Toney Baker as RB. He was something else.

In 1972, the 3A Shelby Golden Lions went 13-0 and won the WNCHSAA Championship Title
At season end, Shelby was voted the # 1 team in the state by the state’s Associated Press, over all associations and classifications.

We are not sure if that has ever happened before or since.

14 of the starting 22 position players were All Conference in 1972, and 4 of the other 8 were All Conference in 1973. That is 18 of the 22 were All Conference performers.
At that time, it was a 10 team conference that included Shelby, Crest, South Point Belmont, Burns, and Kings Mountain.
5 players from that team went on to start on Division 1 college football teams, 3 others on Division II teams and one started on a Division 1 college baseball team.
There’s 60 pages of horse manure on the Cleveland county thread…and they’re throwing Dynasty in the ditch?

“We” ain’t having it!😂

It was that Ashbrook loss in 2002. Those guys had no business winning the title.
The 2002 crest team Asheville beat is probably the best high school team I’ve ever seen personally. I remember crest was ranked 2 among all classifications only behind Chris leaks team that had a 100 game winning streak. During the pre game warmups I remember half the crest guys just watching us and kind of screwing around. There was almost a fight before the game and I know for a fact that really fired our team up. We blitzed the outside linebackers all night. Damn near every play Travis Lee was running for his life. Once the game got into the second half we got up 17-7 and you could tell crest was kind of looking around like “is this really happening?” In the handshake line after the game, a a few crest guys said “y’all will win it all. Good game, y’all will win it all”

The following week we had ashbrook at home. We were up 16-3 with 2:30 left and lost in OT. It’s seems impossible doesn’t it? One of the many chokes we’ve had, but when that 2002 team showed up, we were really good

• Wow
Reactions: CHEERDUCK
2008 Dudley team wasn't nothing to sneeze at. They went 15-0 with Rickey Lewis at QB/RB and that vaunted defense with the four horseman and Major Bryant roaming the middle at LB. If not one of the best teams in 3A at least the best defense I've seen. This the same squad that went into 4A Richmond County and came away with the W. They played Kannapolis Brown that year in the State Championship. I'll put that team up against any of the 4A schools also that were strong at the time around 07-08.

I always see Dudley as 4A for some reason. Might be an over qualified category for this thread. Like if West Charlotte won it all undefeated I would put them in that same over qualified category. But you have a strong point.

I always see Dudley as 4A for some reason. Might be an over qualified category for this thread. Like if West Charlotte won it all undefeated I would put them in that same over qualified category. But you have a strong point.
Dudley has always toed the line between 3A and 4A since "09" due to the academy, middle college and overall ADM. It's a few 3A schools that won championships in both classes.

Last edited:
03 Carver went undefeated beating Wilson Fike 30-7 in the state championship. That team had a college size oline and dline.

This is a tough, tough call. There are so many contenders.

Dudley and Catholic immediately come to mind. So does Havelock and Crest. As much as I hate to say it....the early Northern Guilford teams deserve a nomination. Present day........Weddington.

Going back a little bit.......AL Brown, the Cummings and TW Andrews teams from the late 80's/early 90's, Williams (from 70's to 90's)

Regardless of any classification, they were the best team in the state that year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT