ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle @ Concord

Buddy Rich

May 24, 2005
Might as well get this started. Albemarle will be a huge underdog in this game. When I was in hs we were in the same conference and played every year. Was always a good game. But over time Albemarle shrunk in size and Concord pretty much stayed the same.
Would appreciate any Concord posters on here to give us some input. Think spiderdad is one poster I have seen on here. I'm sure they will be hungry after the loss to Kannapolis. Understand that their D is one of their strong points. With Albemarle running a new offense that could be a problem for us.
I think practice should be interesting this week after our loss to Thomasville. I think we kept our offense pretty simple last fri night in order to avoid mixups in the backfield. All in all we did a good job. Will we pass the ball more. Not sure since we have a new qb who played his first game at that position. Thought he did a good job but passing is not his strong point. When he did try to pass there was a lot of pressure on him and he just threw it up for grabs. Have to correct that. Hats off to Bird as this was his first time ever playing qb in a game.
On defense we have to shore up our cornerbacks. That's where Thomasville killed us. The interior defense was solid. A lot will depend on how bad the injury was to #21. He is one of our best defenders and athletes and we really missed him being on the field. I think at practice this week that is one area that will get a lot of attention.
I think the coaches and players have done a great job in a short amount of time getting this team ready to play. As we all know we are short handed and just have to get the most out of what we have. The injury bug could either make or break us this year.
I really don't expect us to beat Concord, but I do think the kids will be up to the challenge and give it all they have. What more could we ask for.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Love that these schools are playing each other in football again after a 33-year hiatus, but this one won't be close. Concord's just got too much talent.

Very proud that AHS continues to schedule tough OOC games. Got to beat the best to be the best! Or at least test yourself against the best if you want to get better. Also a lot of fun for the fans. Hope that a lot of AHS fans will travel and support the team this week.

I'm saying 31-17 concord. HOWEVER I will say this it would not surprise me if we pull the upset. Factors are if Isaiah is healthy and turnovers. We will move the ball offensively, our D needs to come out fired up and hit people. With not being deep our O needs to step up and limit mistakes keep that ball moving.

Been trying to get an update on Isiah's condition all week end with no luck. Should know tomorrow when he is evualated. If he is able to go fri night I give us a wee, little, small chance for the upset. If not I don't think we have any chance. I think he is that valuable to this team, especially on defense. In fact he could be the best athlete on the team. JMO

There will be no update until he is re evaluated probably tomorrow. They will get the backup up to speed and more prepared

you do know when Concord sees the Thomasville Film they are going to go wide on us just like Tville did.

Let's break it down. Yes they went wide on us however let's look at the second half when Steinbach was back in there. Up until the last two minutes when they scored the final td to give them 31 (not sure when they scored I left with 2:30 left after the big run) we were outscoring them 22-6 in the second half. Additionally we were knocking on the door when #17 got the personal foul which drove us back and essentially ended the drive.

Point being our defense held for the most part. Our kids have to have the focus on the next play mentality this is part of the maturization progress. Somebody on another post said tville would finish 1 or 2 in our conference. First game bad mistakes that led to scores for tville and a key injury to a team that's not deep already. Additionally both INT's were when we were driving the ball down the field and I believe Bird learned his lesson there.

Overall I felt that coach smith and staff made great adjustments at half and our kids battled hard. Isaiah and Steinbach out in the second quarter had an obvious negative affect on us.

Looking at concord here is what I see from the scrimmage and the first game. We will move the ball we have to limit our turnovers and dumb penalties. If we do that our D will hold and our O will control the clock. Fact is the less opportunities you give concord the less they score. Our ability to move the ball and control the clock is why I can't rule out an upset.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Excellent post Nation. I was just about to post a lot of what you said. I think we won the second half but as coach smith said after the game we let the game get away from us in the second quarter. I was really impressed with our second half effort. I think that shows conditioning and some great adjustments by coach smith at half time. If we can stop teams from going wide on us we will be in good shape. All Bird has to do is learn to eat the ball when he has a lot of pressure. After all a 5yds loss is better than an int.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Another thing. That long run where the kid was tip toeing the sideline I feel if we got him out of bounds they don't score that TD. I have no idea what that kid was doing but tville straight made him back pedal into the end zone.

All this is fun but Thomasville made the plays they had to, to win the game. So hats off to them.

Yessir absolutely. I'm not wanting to take anything away from them either. They won that game. My point is we are young and we will get better. Those items listed are simple things we can correct. That second quarter beat us but the adjustments were made at half and we played 100% better in the second half now we just need to play 4 like that.

Here is the bottom line, we play smaller football than 2a Thomasville, Big 1a West Mont, Big 1a North Stanly. We are in the smallest 1a league in the state and that is who we will play for a state championship. Concord has 1,300+ and we have 400. They are three times bigger than us. We should lose this game and hope that half of our team doesn't get hurt. We have to get ready for our county foes, which are 2a West Stanly, and small 1a South Stanly. North Stanly is obvious as we have won the past 22 meetings. We have to keep the North Streak alive, beat the county teams and all the other conference teams, besides West Mont and get to the playoffs. Then we can fight Murphy and the bunch for a championship. This is a long season fellow bulldog fanatics! I still think we are small 1a champions.

You make a good point spiketomandjerry. This is a very good team. Just hope the same thing doesn't happen to us that happened to Murphy last year. My biggest fear is injuries. But no sense worrying about them until and if they happen. All teams have injuries. It's a part of the game.

Until this team is able to throw the ball and keep defenses honest I don't see them going very far in the playoffs. I was pleased with the effort on Friday night and they didn't quit when they fell behind. Another positive was they had very few penalties which is unusual for the first game. I do believe the offense will improve as the season progresses but the one thing we can not have is injuries. Hopefully we can get through the Concord game without any and get ready to play teams that we can compete with.

I understand what you are saying Dogs9 but I just don't see us throwing the ball much this year. I think coach Smith is trying to develop the DW as a power offense. Think JK pretty much runs it all the time with hardly any passing. Anyway Bird looks very uncomfortable when he drops back to pass. Maybe some swing passes out of the backfield or against teams not as athletic as Thomasville. Just remember Gaster used to throw the ball very little. I really think we can run the ball even against 9 in the box against most teams. As spike said we are going against bigger schools in our first 3 games so when we start playing schools our own size I think we will be just fine. The offense will be fine we just need to fine tune the defense somewhat. I think this coming fri night will be interesting.

Last edited:
You've got a point but Gaster's teams for the most part always seemed to have a back that if he got in the open he could break it for a touchdown on any play. Another thing you know as well as I do that Thomasville team Friday night was not a typical Thomasville team. I still think Coach Smith might have to play Emery and Stanback some on defense.

I also agree to a point Dogs9. No we do not have a break away threat so we will have to grind it out. And no this was not your typical Thomasville team but they still have athletes. Like you I was impressed with our effort in the second half. If we stop the big plays we win the game. I really think we have the makings of a very good team at Albemarle this year and I like what the coaches are trying to accomplish.

@spiketomandjerry4 I don't see a SC this year....no way no how. I believe we can make it to the 4th round.

After thinking about the game Friday and looking at both teams. Thomasville will be lucky to win 4 games this year.

When Albemarle went small 1A in 2011, we still beat bigger schools like "Big 1A" West Montgomery, West Stanly etc. It's not the size of the school, it's the players on the field. We don't have the talent to compete like we used too...but that's o.k. Even Independence has had it's bad years when they split up that "Monopoly".

If you guys go to the Concord game, I'm telling you, it's going to be dreadful, but the kids need the support. I hope none of our players get injured.

Yeah playing competitive schools like Concord or Davidson Day are good, but only when you have the athletes to compete. You think South Davidson or CC benefits from playing schools like Albemarle or WM, they are still getting beat like a drum and never make it to the playoffs.

Still, I'm going with an 8-3 record. By the time we get to the bread and butter of the conference, we should be fine.

I believe this concord game will be within 14 pending the injury status. I think if Isaiah goes an upset could be brewing

Predictions are guesses...but following a loss to open the season, Concord will make a statement this week. 60 plus. The question is will Albemarle score? (Okay...I admit it. I just put this on here to aggravate the NCC.) :) Hang in there gang....the YVC is coming.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I'm going to step out on a limb and change my pick. I originally picked concord 31-17.
I'm switching that to 24-21 Albemarle Bulldogs with the upset. They win with a late td in the 4th. I believe the Dogs will get on track and be healthy walking into this game. I think they will control the clock and With everyone healthy as well as our backups will have alittle more knowledge on the playbook allowing us to open it up. Keep in mind that second half we only ran a handful of plays as that's all our backups knew we have over 60. That's a huge difference and we still avg 5yds per carry on running the same 5 plays for the entire half.

Go Bulldogs!!!!

Reactions: sway1532
EZ Smith coached at Concord.Coach Padget came in when EZ left. I was at the Albemarle game friday night and left disappointed.I attended Albemarle and still care about how they do.This game against Concord Friday night may get ugly and I'm thinking Albemarle may not even see the endzone.Concords strength is there defense and if Albemarle runs the same offense against Concord it will not work. I was shocked that they didn't put any receivers on the field. You can't be one deminitional in football now days unless you have a defense that can shut down the other teams offense. Albemarles defense can't do that.The only thing that will keep this game close is Coach Padget don't like to run up scores on another team.I'm not knocking Albemarles football team just going by what I saw Friday night. If Albemarle don't try and pass to help open up the run game its going to be a long night.

I'm going to step out on a limb and change my pick. I originally picked concord 31-17.
I'm switching that to 24-21 Albemarle Bulldogs with the upset. They win with a late td in the 4th. I believe the Dogs will get on track and be healthy walking into this game. I think they will control the clock and With everyone healthy as well as our backups will have alittle more knowledge on the playbook allowing us to open it up. Keep in mind that second half we only ran a handful of plays as that's all our backups knew we have over 60. That's a huge difference and we still avg 5yds per carry on running the same 5 plays for the entire half.

Go Bulldogs!!!!

24-21 Albemarle???? You could probably sell whatever it is that you're taking on the street. Sleerat is being conservative with a 60 pt spread if Concord chooses. Albemarle will not beat a team with a winning record this year. Talent cycle is WAY down at all levels in Albemarle. JV team was weak last year compared to years past & the middle school was horrible. No JV team this year is proof that the program is history and the numbers are dropping. NCC should be behind the consolidation effort!

So we can put it in the end zone 2x on the Latin starting d but we won't be able to on Concord? Being able to open your playbook compared to only being able to run 5 plays is a huge difference.

I'm switching that to 24-21 Albemarle Bulldogs with the upset.

Nation you can't be serious here lol. We should be sitting at 1-0 and going into West Stanly 1-1. This is going to be a pillaging! lmao! And WM is going to drop 50 on us I know....

If Albemarle runs that same offense Friday against Concord it will not work. They will be kept out of the end zone.I'm going by what I saw out there Friday night, and what I saw Friday was an offense that will struggle against most teams they will play. If you can't pass the ball it going to be hard to beat anybody.

Emery is going to get 20 carries he is going to get 4-5yds per carry, if Isaiah is healthy they will be able to open the playbook up. This offense will control the clock especially with Steinbach and emery in the backfield.

Defensively we will be stronger IF we avoid the mistakes aka INT.

That tville game was the first game and losing Isaiah right before game time and then Steinbach who sat the entire 2nd quarter. I believe we have to offer some leeway. Additionally in the 2nd half we outscored them 20-12 (including the td fr tville at the end of the game) only running 4-5 plays.

My pick comes from me believing Isaiah will be healthy and he will make a impact on D as well as allow them to open up the playbook offensively. Additionally I believe Coach Smith will have #11 ready for a wider selection of plays.

Like Sleeh stated predictions are a guess. Disagree or agree we won't know until the end of the game Friday. But I am backing the dogs in this game. The kids are not happy they are fighters and I believe they will come out fighting hard Friday night. So I will back them until they give me a reason not to. And everything I have seen I believe they will control the clock and limit concord opportunities to score. With that being said it's hard to score 50 when your offense is on the sideline.

If Albemarle runs that same offense Friday against Concord it will not work. They will be kept out of the end zone.I'm going by what I saw out there Friday night, and what I saw Friday was an offense that will struggle against most teams they will play. If you can't pass the ball it going to be hard to beat anybody.
They ran 5 plays of the 60 or so in their playbook. The quarter where tville really hurt them Steinbach and Isaiah were on the sideline.

@Trench Warrior, I haven't followed Albemarle J.V. team in years.....like since I was in middle school. But your wrong on the talent not being available. It's just the change of times, and we can get it through these kids "Thick" skulls that education is the answer.

24-21 Albemarle???? You could probably sell whatever it is that you're taking on the street. Sleerat is being conservative with a 60 pt spread if Concord chooses. Albemarle will not beat a team with a winning record this year. Talent cycle is WAY down at all levels in Albemarle. JV team was weak last year compared to years past & the middle school was horrible. No JV team this year is proof that the program is history and the numbers are dropping. NCC should be behind the consolidation effort!
If there is no JV team this year, that's a shame. Don't think that's ever been the case in my lifetime.

One of the reasons Gaster's teams were so successful is because he and his staff really built up the JV and middle school programs. While other kids were learning X's and O's and seeing the inside of a weight room for the first time in ninth grade, the AHS kids were already well along in those areas by the time they got to high school.

If the issue is that there just aren't enough interested kids to field a team, then I understand all the debate about consolidation/closing schools. I have lived away for years and haven't really followed that discussion, but it would be better for the kids and their futures to benefit from the resources of a bigger school, rather than keeping tradition alive for its own sake.

Reactions: sway1532
@steady99. I spoke to a family member who used to play for South Stanly. Graduated at the same time. And your statement is exactly what he said. Consolidation might be the best option for all schools. I myself have too much "Pride" to agree to such a thing. But it may better a better option for the kids sake, especially the ones who play sports. I've said before, I would love for South Stanly and Albemarle to merge into 1 school, but logically that isn't feasible, more like Albemarle and North Stanly. Albemarle is an old town, and we just don't produce like we used too, and that's due to the economy.

I still feel we will be a lot better next year and years to come.

Can anybody tell me the last team to hold Emery under 5yds a carry?

Emery himself is the only one that can hold him under 5 yds a carry ideally. He needs better ball control and better blocking. Friday, I saw him carry 3 or 4 defenders 3 yards a least. Teams like WM and DD can key on him because no one else can step up at the moment.

We will have to get this passing issue down to keep teams honest. I knew T-Ville was going to stack 9 in the box... gotta know how to pass in that situation.

Well the double wing by design pulls people in the box. I not am expert by any means on it but the film I have seen it's set that way all the time. I would honestly be surprised if we threw the ball 1x Friday. I hope that we are 100% healthy just so we can see what this offense looks like completely opened up. Win or lose that's what I want to see. This is a great week to see what we have.

@spiketomandjerry4

When Albemarle went small 1A in 2011, we still beat bigger schools like "Big 1A" West Montgomery, West Stanly etc. It's not the size of the school, it's the players on the field. We don't have the talent to compete like we used too...but that's o.k. Even Independence has had it's bad years when they split up that "Monopoly".

If you guys go to the Concord game, I'm telling you, it's going to be dreadful, but the kids need the support. I hope none of our players get injured.

Yeah playing competitive schools like Concord or Davidson Day are good, but only when you have the athletes to compete. You think South Davidson or CC benefits from playing schools like Albemarle or WM, they are still getting beat like a drum and never make it to the playoffs.

Still, I'm going with an 8-3 record. By the time we get to the bread and butter of the conference, we should be fine.

8-3 is most likely, 7-4 a possibility. Concord will dominate this game. They are going to be pissed off after last week.

Albemarle should never have scheduled Davidson Day. AHS and their fans thought they got a cupcake up to the point the first series rolled down the field. At least with DD you are not going to physically get beat up like can happen against a Concord.

Note that Indy sent 60 % of their students to the new school, Rocky River, and about half of those were replaced with Butler students. The enrollment dropped but the demographics changed drastically. Indy had improved greatly in some sports but football has suffered. Also, Tom Knotts retired with 30 years service and ends up in three straight Big 4A title games in SC. Think coaching makes a difference?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT