ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle @ Concord

If there is no JV team this year, that's a shame. Don't think that's ever been the case in my lifetime.

One of the reasons Gaster's teams were so successful is because he and his staff really built up the JV and middle school programs. While other kids were learning X's and O's and seeing the inside of a weight room for the first time in ninth grade, the AHS kids were already well along in those areas by the time they got to high school.

If the issue is that there just aren't enough interested kids to field a team, then I understand all the debate about consolidation/closing schools. I have lived away for years and haven't really followed that discussion, but it would be better for the kids and their futures to benefit from the resources of a bigger school, rather than keeping tradition alive for its own sake.

Last time would have been 1979 before the ninth grade moved to the senior high campus. I would do everything I could to field a JV team even if they only played five or six games. The players can play on the varsity when there is not an opposing JV team and they can do the eight quarter rule. Coach Smith is smart enough to take care of the paperwork. Believe me, he is a sharp guy and an excellent administrator.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Bad news at practice today. Isiah is done for the year. Stanback will find out his fate tomorrow. We didn't dress out today. In shorts. Because we are dinged up. Seems like the injury bug has hit early this year. Now I know how Murphy felt last year. May have to slow the offense down and not run as many plays. Some of the kids are going to have to step up and help out more. Friday night could get ugly. Don't know what else to say.

Not real sure nation. Smith did a cool thing at end of practice. He brought the whole team over to where Chad and I were sitting and they took a knee. He told them about fans like us that care about them. I may have the injury report wrong but said he had never seem a player get hurt like Isiah in warmups. Said Stanback would learn his fate tomorrow. Sorry Nation but Smith talks low and my hearing is almost non existent. Will try to get the straight of it tomorrow. Sway may know more than I do.

I went up there today and didn't see anybody. I did see Albemarle boys soccer getting took to the "Wood Shed"

As far as Isaiah goes, I just heard 6 weeks, but not sure at the moment.

Emery is going to get 20 carries he is going to get 4-5yds per carry, if Isaiah is healthy they will be able to open the playbook up. This offense will control the clock especially with Steinbach and emery in the backfield.

Defensively we will be stronger IF we avoid the mistakes aka INT.

That tville game was the first game and losing Isaiah right before game time and then Steinbach who sat the entire 2nd quarter. I believe we have to offer some leeway. Additionally in the 2nd half we outscored them 20-12 (including the td fr tville at the end of the game) only running 4-5 plays.

My pick comes from me believing Isaiah will be healthy and he will make a impact on D as well as allow them to open up the playbook offensively. Additionally I believe Coach Smith will have #11 ready for a wider selection of plays.

Like Sleeh stated predictions are a guess. Disagree or agree we won't know until the end of the game Friday. But I am backing the dogs in this game. The kids are not happy they are fighters and I believe they will come out fighting hard Friday night. So I will back them until they give me a reason not to. And everything I have seen I believe they will control the clock and limit concord opportunities to score. With that being said it's hard to score 50 when your offense is on the sideline.
Running against Concord will be tougher. It's okay to accept a loss even before the game is played. We may be surprised and play Concord to a closer score. I don't think Concord will come out to injure Albemarle but I do realize that these are young Guys that want to look good on the field. Brown probably didn't help Us much by beating Concord

I went up there today and didn't see anybody. I did see Albemarle boys soccer getting took to the "Wood Shed"

As far as Isaiah goes, I just heard 6 weeks, but not sure at the moment.
Thanks sway. That gives me a little hope. We really need him. They came out about 4 in shorts and practiced a couple hrs. Smith said the reason was because we are banged up.

Don't have the schedule in front of me, but it might be North Stanly.

Also heard that T-Ville was throwing up gang signs to our players and played real dirty. That's the reason why they are dinged up! Need to take the off the schedule if that's true. Player safety is a must.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
AJ has a swollen ankle from fri night. Will have x-ray tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

Nope! We'll be fine after Concord. Just need to come out healthy. AJ probably just got a bruised ankle. I still saw him play afterwards. Not sure if he stayed in the full game.

I think coach smith wanted to run a fast paced offense but with injuries pileing up and so many going both ways he will probably use more of the 25 second clock.

I think coach smith wanted to run a fast paced offense but with injuries pileing up and so many going both ways he will probably use more of the 25 second clock.
Yeah absolutely. I mentioned at the game Friday night to a former player it looked like they were chop blocking he agreed. They definitely took some shots after the ball the refs missed

Just wanted to take a minute and say I really like Coach Smith and what he trying to accomplish with this team. He came in late and took a team that is low in numbers and now is having to deal with a rash of injuries to key players and seems to be taking it in stride. Nothing seems to faze him although I'm sure it does, he just doesn't show it. I liked the way he talked to the kids at the end of practice today. We are now facing some adversity after our first game with the injuries and guys going both ways and he seems to be a reassuring voice in the mist of this. He is one cool cat. Thanks Phil.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
What is Smith's coaching background? Did he coach at another school before coming to AHS or was he already employed by the county and just elevated to HC?

What is Smith's coaching background? Did he coach at another school before coming to AHS or was he already employed by the county and just elevated to HC?

Yea he coached at north back in the late 90's and he came from CATA. I believe he has 20 years of coaching experience maybe more.

Bulldog nation 20 there is nothing wrong with supporting your team the way you do. Come Friday we will see if that offense of Albemarle can keep Concords off of the field.Like I said I was born and raised in Albemarle and every chance I get to see the Bulldogs I go to see them.I'm not bashing your dogs but with what I saw out there Friday night you could play Concord the last game of the season and it wouldn't matter. Albemarles offensive line will be out weighed by 30 or 40 lbs a player. Like I said before Coach Padget will be the only one to keep it from being a blowout. Good luck to the Bulldogs this year and I hope they have a great season.

Just wondering if the golf cart ride to the vistors side is still an option spiderdad. Its the only way I will come.

I think this team can probably compete with any team in their classification. That being small 1A. You can't compare this team to big1A, small 2A or even 3A. And that's a lot of the teams we are playing. We are playing at least 5 games against teams in a higher classifaction. As I'm not sure if some of the teams in our conference are big 1A or small 1A, there could be more. Come on guys lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Last edited:
Yes the golf carts will be running. I hope you will enjoy your visit to Concord on Friday. I agree they should be able to compete with teams in their classification but when you make this big of a jump you have to have a defense that can shut teams down and an offense that can put points on the board on almost every possesion. With what i saw Friday night i don't think Albemarle can put up the points.I understand with the coaching situation that it going to be hard on them but i think the kids played hard and never give up. I do wish the best for Albemarle this year and years to come.With the injuries and the lake of time to to adjust to the new coach i just don't think they will be able to keep this game close. I'm not bashing the team i'm just stating what i believe.

Reactions: atucker2
Thanks spiderman. Then I will be there. I really don't know who the clown is that keeps putting the DD's, the CC's and the Concord's on our schedule. It's really not fair to the kids.

I think you need to be better prepared when you start playing these teams.When your dealing with kids this young you never know how they will respond to games like this. You can only hope it makes them better.

I don't agree with our scheduling these big teams. I don't think we should schedule cupcakes but some where in the middle.

From a scheduling standpoint a lot of smaller teams won't play us in football or basketball (now). I seen this first hand this year. Our non conference bball schedule is brutal with the likes of sun valley Monroe Salisbury Xmas tourney where we could see peidmont and west meck both boys and girls. I know one small team bball wise said "we are not ready for your level". Keep in mind boys lost 10 seniors girls lost 4 starters. Sometimes you just have to schedule what you can. Football atleast it's a larger conference bball wise it was almost impossible to schedule 1a outside of conf.

To Spiderdad. Wonder if you have been a long time resident of Concord. If so you might know a long time friend of mine. Jerry Goodman. Is a musician and I played many years in his band. Lives on Louise Ave. I think. Plays accordion and keyboard. Just wondering.

Don't know him personally but have heard of him.Been in Concord since 1982. Both sons played football for Concord. Been helping out with football program since 2001.I played football at Albemarle that's why this game is a little tough for me. I want Albemarle to do good against us but at the same time i am a die hard spider fan. Got to experience championships with both sons so it don't get any better than that.

I just really don't see this as much of a game. With Concord's numbers and understand they outweigh us quite a bit I really don't see how we can compete with them. Even if we were healthy which we are not. One of our best backs will not play and our other back is nursing a sore ankle. That leaves us with Emery as the sole back. We also have 7 or 8 guys going both ways. We have to slow the tempo of the game down by using all of the 25 sec clock. Doubt if we throw the ball at all what with a brand new qb, who is starting only his second game at the position. Our defensive front 4 are pretty good , but linebackers and the secondary are new and inexperiended. However I do expect our kids to give it all they have. I can almost guarantee that. My main concern is injuries. Many more to key players and we could have a long, long season. I really don't see us gaining anything by playing a team the caliber of Concord. But it was scheduled and we will show up. If it gets ugly early I believe the Concord Coach will call off the dogs (pun intended). I look forward to coming to Concord and enjoying the experience. Go Dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldog nation2014
This game is not logical. When you place someone on your schedule, your basically saying you have a chance to win. Albemarle needs to focus on West Stanly next week.

One thing they can't say about Albemarle is, we haven't played anybody...

AD and principal decisions like this always are troubling. They schedule large schools often for the gate. You can argue that if Albemarle was 2-0 to start the season, more fans would support you in later games. Reality is that the YVC is so spread out that big gates are hard to find. Last year for example, CC played at NS during our open week. I would bet that CC had about 20 fans show up. When your home crowd is small (Albemarle lately) and the visitors don't come (because the NCC folks beat them by 60 last time)...you are in a bind. At St. Pauls, we always played Lumberton (largest 4A in the state at the time) at their place as an opening game. They paid us $$$ for the right to keep it a home game. When we beat them 32-0 in 2003, suddenly they were willing to rotate the series. My AD back then was happy to take the guaranteed $$$ ...win or lose.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
We have a pretty good home schedule this year.
Thomasville--Decent crowd
West Stanly---Should be a really good crowd
CC-----Yuck
WM---Another really good crowd
NM---With their upsurgeance might be a good crowd
SS---Always a pretty good crowd.
A lot of this depends on how well Albemarle does this year and what our win and loss record is.
Probably the biggest crowd of the season will be when Albemarle travels up to NS.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT