ADVERTISEMENT

AHS to become a magnet school?

This is where I think they are not looking at reality. West stanly does not have room for 600 more kids and North really does not either. One of the plans calls for the closing of south and Albemarle which is about 1000 kids if I am not mistaken. Plus kids coming up from the middle school. Albemarles 8th grade class that would be moving up to the hs is a big class from what I have been told.

I don't think they are looking at this in detail and saying ok we have this many kids from the HIghschools and this many kids coming up from the middle school. I think this is a situation where you won't have enough space meaning essentially your classrooms are going to be ridiculously large.

Sorry I am for the Albemarle to become a city school.

I just think everybody was much happier when we had 2 school systems 20 years ago. Now that time has pasted and it's way too late to go back to a 2 school system. Like btango said the state wouldn't let us do it anyway. I guess you think closing down AHS is a good idea. I don't. There has got to be another way. That's the reason I'm going to the board meeting tues night. Am I selfish. Too some degree, yes. Are'nt we all. A magnet school will never work there. Hell they might as well tear it down or better yet why not make apartments out of it for the aged like they want to do with the old central elementary school building and the old Albemarle Hotel. After all Albemarle is fast becoming a city of nothing but old retired people anyway. Merger was the worst thing that ever happened to all thee schools in stanly county. Just ask anybody. Have a nice day.

Attend the school board meeting. Listen, take notes. Do not get up and rant. I have seen too many people make statements that are false or spread rumors, it is already that way on social media.

If you are a school employee I would not post anything on a social media site that you think to be correct such as the district lines changing is why this problem has occurred. I am not busting on you coach but if you put out false information and it is refuted it hurts the cause. If you are a school employee you should be well read on this and know the facts. Speak with some of the older teachers. Al Andrew could be a great source of knowledge on this. Dave Bright if he comes around, Bob Johnston, and some others that were there when the county / city merger took place. I am sure there are some teachers that will have insight.

Here is an example. The previous board member from western Stanly has went on a social media rant. He has always been a bag of hot air and he is pissed because he got voted out. He wrote that the "other" side of the county is the one that gets everything. Does not take into account that Albemarle may close an elementary and their flagship. Also, threw stones using the new field house. That was needed and built due to a potential Title 9 lawsuit which West Stanly had to make some upgrades to the girls softball field due to it being inferior to the baseball field. Sad thing is the former longtime baseball coach worked his butt off on the field and fund raising. Albemarle has the least amount of athletic facilities of any school. Other than the football stadium/facility they are inferior to the other schools facilities wise. It was the same way when it was city system relying on municipal facilities which is fine but they are not near the school.

Give the school system the respect to present their plans. Research the plans and develop questions. One thing you cannot do is scream that is crazy and think what is in place now is going to work. That is a true disservice to every student that walks the halls.

But here again you are comparing a 3800 student population to a 1700 student population. The clinton county schools has 3 excellent ratings and one f the elementary's was awarded the blue ribbon award. (Putman Elementary) FYI that is the poorest SD I believe.

S Stanly kids will be the most impacted by the closure. Look how far students who live on Hwy 731 going into Mont County will have to travel to get to W Stanly. They could spend spend well over an hour one way to get to school. I would love to see a bond referendum building 2 new high schools; changing existing HS's (except Alb) into Middle schools. As Btango said build one on the Northeast connector and one located closer to current S Stanly district.

I would vote for that in a minute exsshs. This should have been done a long time ago. Is it too late. I don't know. Maybe not. Only problem is you will have to get a bond passed to do it. Its got my vote. As you said if they close SS, busing is going to be their worse nightmare come true.

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
This is where I think they are not looking at reality. West stanly does not have room for 600 more kids and North really does not either. One of the plans calls for the closing of south and Albemarle which is about 1000 kids if I am not mistaken. Plus kids coming up from the middle school. Albemarles 8th grade class that would be moving up to the hs is a big class from what I have been told.

I don't think they are looking at this in detail and saying ok we have this many kids from the HIghschools and this many kids coming up from the middle school. I think this is a situation where you won't have enough space meaning essentially your classrooms are going to be ridiculously large.

Sorry I am for the Albemarle to become a city school.
Albemarle and South have 900 this school year.

Where are you coming up with your numbers? The plan does not call for two high schools. How would West get 600 more students? If they close Albemarle that would be 470 sent to three schools with West getting very few. If Albemarle stays open as a magnet we do not know how many will opt to attend but at that time I think you gradually bring the county school enrollment up as less will attend Greystone and privates opting for AHS. My guess is they would be close to 300 with just the students from the students that are in the system the second year which would be the first with a full senior class.

The middle school eighth grade class will almost always be larger than the high school senior class. Look at any school and that is common. Look at the numbers for each grade at each county school. All the freshman classes are about 20% larger than the senior classes.

I have spoken to many people. A city school using a city park is not at all uncommon. I'm not sitting here saying there doesn't need to be changes. I am saying and have said what I have proposed should be a plan. Shutting a city school down the size of albemarle will hurt the underprivileged kids. I believe stanly county schools could be great. There are a lot of great kids most definitely. But let's be clear on the fact that they can and should look at ALL pros and cons of ALL options prior to closing a city school. I believe they have been wanting to close Albemarle And they have not fully researched all options that are available. My team got the team scholar award last year and will probably get it again this year. I know and see what these kids are capable of.

I believe what I have discussed is of concern to a lot of people my kids attend stanly county schools so this is of concern to me especially. I love AHS, I love the parents and fans of AHS. IMHO they are the best around.

To my knowledge nobody is disagreeing there needs to be changes but closing this school that is the heart of this community is drastic. There are other options.

Originally posted by exsshs:

S Stanly kids will be the most impacted by the closure. Look how far students who live on Hwy 731 going into Mont County will have to travel to get to W Stanly. They could spend spend well over an hour one way to get to school. I would love to see a bond referendum building 2 new high schools; changing existing HS's (except Alb) into Middle schools. As Btango said build one on the Northeast connector and one located closer to current S Stanly district.
Albemarle would become a middle school with East Elementary moving into the current middle school most likely. If they close East they would need to redistrict Central bringing Endy and Aquadale into the mix and possibly Badin and Norwood (SSMS). Central is almost 40 students over capacity right now.

Are you considering the alternative schools and these are generalized numbers not specific numbers that I am discussing. And again the plan I have heard most talked about was closing Albemarle immediately and south after next year as they want a 2 school system. Even was told names they are considering of northeast and southwest and they would be changing mascots as well.

Are you considering the alternative schools and these are generalized numbers not specific numbers that I am discussing. And again the plan I have heard most talked about was closing Albemarle immediately and south after next year as they want a 2 school system. Even was told names they are considering of northeast and southwest and they would be changing mascots as well.

The plans are A and B.

A: Close South and Albemarle becomes a magnet.

B. Close Albemarle and South stays open.

There is not plan currently on the board that calls for two high schools.

But here again you are comparing a 3800 student population to a 1700 student population. The clinton county schools has 3 excellent ratings and one f the elementary's was awarded the blue ribbon award. (Putman Elementary) FYI that is the poorest SD I believe.
It was not 3,800. It was 4,800. I used this as an example of what we are seeing in a lot of areas of the south. One reason I used it was because of Valdosta's football history. The people in Valdosta are building a new state of the art school but their main issue is they can only pull students from the city limits which is causing them to shrink and the county school to grow.

If you want to see examples I used Thomasville and Elkin city schools. Elkin is the only city system I can think of with less students. I though Thomasville was relevant and probably closest to Albemarle after Elkin.

Close the current AHS for a non district high school and south next year leaving 2 public county high schools :). That's two high schools can't count the magnet as a part of the county system just like gray stone isn't. It would be non district leaving two district hs.

I have spoken to many people. A city school using a city park is not at all uncommon.
I agree with that. I think you missed the whole point that I was attempting to make. My point was you have people attacking Albemarle when in reality Albemarle has less than the others.

I am fairly knowledgeable about many high schools in NC. I have been to over half of them. A friend has been to every school in the state except any that opened this school year.

Do you teach at Albemarle or just coach? If you have a class that can do research why not have the students gather some information. Group them up and have them go the library and get old articles from the county/city merger. Do some models. Have them get some help from city administrators.

Close the current AHS for a non district high school and south next year leaving 2 public county high schools :). That's two high schools can't count the magnet as a part of the county system just like gray stone isn't. It would be non district leaving two district hs.
A magnet school will be part of Stanly County Schools just as SCC Early College is. Greystone like all charters are not part of the LEAs and overlap several school systems.

Originally posted by Buddy Rich:

Guys I'm getting a really bad headache. Think I'll go to the Y. LOL
Buddy remember when we all thought the YMCA would close when Wiscassett stopped supporting it. Better than ever but it took a lot of people to step up and big changes to keep it going. Not even remotely like it was.

I just coach. Like I said before I am a simple mind but having been in the business field for as long as i have I know there are only solutions. I think this is drastic and the problems have not been addressed and there are critical details that must be looked at. I believe that Albemarle has gotten a bad wrap. The schools can be better and do better for the kids but I just dot think that has been the focus here. That's what it feels to me but I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.

I just coach. Like I said before I am a simple mind but having been in the business field for as long as i have I know there are only solutions. I think this is drastic and the problems have not been addressed and there are critical details that must be looked at. I believe that Albemarle has gotten a bad wrap. The schools can be better and do better for the kids but I just dot think that has been the focus here. That's what it feels to me but I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
Great post Coach. Go whip the "Bullettes" tonight!

Ok guys here is my question. Is plan A and plan B the only options on the table? Did the board come up with these 2 options at their recent workshop? Did the state have any input into these? Are they ready to make a choice in the immediate future. Sounds to me like they are. I understand they only have one holdout. But doesn't the majority rule. Or could it be a hung board like in a courtroom.

Yessir from what I have been told it's plan A or plan B. There is a meeting Tuesday but the official vote will be March and from I have been told they will tell the kids of albemarle where they are going in April is the plan.
I'm not sure about the state question.
This post was edited on 1/30 10:59 AM by bulldog nation2014

Buddy I revert to my conversation that I posted about here. I do not think the school board came up with that in two months. May be I am wrong.

Often in political situations things are presented as the most extreme but are gradually whittled away. I think we are a long way out from seeing the final product. Also, I am thinking that if a decision is made this will not start in the 2015-2016 school year but the next one. I think there are too many logistical hurdles to overcome both with a decision and implementation before this happens.

Is the holdout Mike Barbee? If so, he be very western Stanly friendly and will also be very anti Albemarle. My guess is if West Stanly and the western elementary school are not touched in this he may vote to shut Albemarle and go to three districted high schools.

Here you go Buddy. Some info for you that I found on line.

At the bottom of that link are two work session PDF. I am going to link them below where you can copy and paste or just click on the PDF at the bottom of the page on the left hand side.

I am going to read up on this tonight. Spoke to several folks today about this, Greystone, and the county/city merger. Will try to post some of it later.

http://www.stanlycountyschools.org/home/reinvest

December BOE Work Session

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=c3Rhbmx5Y291bnR5c2Nob29scy5vcmd8c3Rhbmx5fGd4OjViNjhkNDhmMWJhZDZmZTA

January BOE Work Session

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=c3Rhbmx5Y291bnR5c2Nob29scy5vcmd8c3Rhbmx5fGd4OjI5MjBlNzViZTc5YjZjNzY

This post was edited on 1/30 4:46 PM by btango

Funny btango. I just finished reading it on facebook. Did'nt see anything I didn't already know. Looks to me like they mean to implement this in the fall, unless I misunderstood. See what you think.

I haven't been on the board for sometime because of health problems,so I have only 1 thing to say to this so called school board,kiss my old ass now and kiss my ass in the next world as well.!!!!GOODBYE!!!!
mad0013.r191677.gif

Come on Bluebones. Why don't you tell us how you really feel!!!! LOL
This post was edited on 1/30 5:18 PM by Buddy Rich

I have no bulldog in the fight, other than to support my friends across the pond. But if this was thrown out to see what kind of response it would get, it sure is getting one!

If bad comes to worse foot this would mean the end of AHS as we now know it. No more football, no more WM/Albemarle match ups. NC PREPS has been my hobby and especially the people I have met on here, like you. If this happens I'll just have to find another hobby. Would'nt be any fun on here with no team to support. But it hasn't happened YET, so I guess there's still hope. Hope is a wonderful thing. Maybe the best of things. Anyway good luck to your Warriors this year. It could be THE year. Go Dogs

I don't see how in the world a high school can all the sudden be CLOSED down. I hope not, keep the faith my albemarle friends, the boards would suck without yall........

It would be a great thing to see all people from all schools including west mont to come out stand against the people wanting to do this. There is a petition as well out there. This would be a terrible thing to happen IMHO. Game tonight we had a great crowd of bulldog supporters showing support for our kids. The kids love it. SS fans showed as well making it a great atmosphere. Love the Bulldog community (parents, fans, and kids). Go Bulldogs!!!! I want to say the kids are having a hard time with this. Having all the fans out to the games loud and proud truly means a lot.

There is one side to this that is not being discussed. Amhurst & the bulk of the football athletes at AHS will be moved North so they are basically combining both teams. Depending on who becomes the HFC at the new school, those kids WILL play football and the Northern Stanly team will be better than West Montgomery from day one! The NCC & the Grade Pro Crew will be on the same team and have plenty to talk about.

TW

Also TW it mentions that it eventually would become a 2 school system with new mascots and everything. How do you combine a comet and a bulldog and come up with a new mascot. There would be lots to talk about for sure. Still hope it doesn't happen, but in this day and time anything is possible. Go Dogs.

Supposedly, the "rebranding" concept will mean a different school name with new colors & mascot plus a tremendous coaching shake-up in all sports. There has been a lot of planning by the board & school admin on the academics portion but not a lot of thought on athletics. Not surprising considering the bulk of them are clueless on the logistics involved with running a sports program.

TW

I truly believe there is a lot of pressure being put on this board from outside to improve the academics in the SCSS or else. Therefor that is where they are focusing instead of athletics. jmo

I also believe that what has hurt the academic scores at AHS is the fact that a lot of the better students are now attending Grey Stone, therefor the scores have taken a hit. If the Magnet school does become a reality some of these students may return to AHS in the future. Just a thought.

The Students at AHS should get the first opportunity to get into the Magnet School. The History of AHS shouldn't be overlooked because it started in 1925. I can pull for a Northern Stanly County Team and hope they They will be successful.

Buddy, A part of me still thinks it was put out there to see how big the fight would be. I don't think it is a done deal by any means. I agree with improving academics. That is a necessity everywhere, not just Stanly County. America is falling behind what used to be (and in many ways still are) third world countries like India and China. But there has to be a way to do that without wiping out the rich tradition of 2 Stanly County High schools. There has to be other alternatives. It is possible to have a district and a magnet concept at a school.

TW, If they put ALB and NS together, they should be better than WM. It would be a 3A school. And WM would be playing them non-conference I would assume. How in the world would that work next season?

Originally posted by Buddy Rich:
I truly believe there is a lot of pressure being put on this board from outside to improve the academics in the SCSS or else. Therefor that is where they are focusing instead of athletics. jmo
The pressure part due to poor performance is probably true but the reality is there isn't enough money to sustain the number of partially filled schools especially the condition of some of these buildings. Your AHS is in good physical shape but it is dying academically & re-zoning won't fix it. From a business sense, this is a no brainer. No doubt this causes concerns, discomfort, & flat out hard feelings. There will be growing pains & a bunch of "I told you so's" but if this consolidation is done properly, in 5 years Stanly Co Schools will be light years ahead of where it is now.

This movement effects my own kids but I've been in the education business for over 25 years so I have the ability to look at both sides. In my opinion, the biggest mistake I see is not offering at least a limited sports program at the new Magnet school. From their own statements in meetings I've attended, this is SCS attempt to compete with Graystone in getting good students to stay in the system. The same administrator then said that providing sports at the Magnet is "not a priority" and "the students can always return to their home school to play sports!" The tone was that sports are an after thought. As a parent that would consider sending my own son to the Magnet, that would be his "Home" school!

As a former coach, I can tell you that having students attend one school during the day, then traveling to another school for sports is a logistical nightmare for schools, coaches, & parents. This isn't feasible in a county as spread out & rural as Stanly Co. This will be the main reason that this attempt to compete with GSD will be a failure. The type of students attracted to Magnet & strong academic Charter schools play the kind of sports offered at GSD. Apparently the board & SCS isn't aware that nearly 90% of the students at Graystone play at least one high school sport & a good portion of those play more than one. As far as overall athletic programs are concerned, GSD is at the top of the YVC. The Magnet school will have to provide sports of some sort to compete with them. JMHO

TW

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT