ADVERTISEMENT

#6 Murphy (12-2) at #1 Mount Airy (13-0)

Who wins?

• Murphy

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • Mount Airy

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters
The game can be played in the minds and opinions of the posters all week and means nothing, but the players play the real game Friday night and the better team will win. There is a better team and it will be on that field Friday night. Murphy have a save 5 hour trip minus 10 minutes as Mount Airy is 10 minutes closer than the trip from East Surry and the best team will win.

Last edited:
Hummm. That's your opinion Nole. Bessemer City didn't belong on the field with Mt.Airy either. Yet they beat Swain, and Swain beat yall. These are all highschool teenagers, and from week to week no one can be completely sure of which team will actually show up. Mt.Airy and Tarboro are in the driver's seat. They're the only teams that don't have a bunch of excuses as to why they lost, because they haven't.
Swain had fumble fest against bc, vice versa with Murphy v swain

How is Mount Airy in the driver's seat? I would never consider having to face Murphy in the finals in football to ever be in the driver's seat. You will see that Friday night.

Neither team is in the drivers seat. Both teams are storied, tradition rich programs who both expect to win anytime they take the field. It is asinine to use prior scores against each teams rival to gauge a prediction for Friday. None of that matters. These teams are evenly matched. Greene will be the best athlete on the field but Curry will be the best football player on the field. Nothing but respect here for both programs, players, and coaches. Turnovers and penalties will be the deciding factor in my opinion. Good luck to both of these well deserving teams on Friday.

Neither team is in the drivers seat. Both teams are storied, tradition rich programs who both expect to win anytime they take the field. It is asinine to use prior scores against each teams rival to gauge a prediction for Friday. None of that matters. These teams are evenly matched. Greene will be the best athlete on the field but Curry will be the best football player on the field. Nothing but respect here for both programs, players, and coaches. Turnovers and penalties will be the deciding factor in my opinion. Good luck to both of these well deserving teams on Friday.

Mctaggert is a game changer for the Dogs on both sides of the ball. In my opinion, he is on the top line along with Curry.

Reactions: Illuminati704
No other games this season matter period. What happens on Friday night is all that counts.

Greene is the best athlete in the field. But to me, No. 32 is the best player. Like I said it another thread, I would take 11 of that kid and happily hit the field any day.

Just like it's irrelevant to say Swain is better than East Surry when this game has clearly nothing to do with either team. Like i said always excuses when teams lose..fumble fest..injured players...i had excuses when EW faltered big time down the stretch and guess what nobody bought my excuses either. Murphy lost to Swain because they were the better team on that night on the field. East Surry lost games too because teams were better than them on that particular night. I will say this, this is the match up that everyone wanted. Time to show and prove. Both teams come in with a wealth of confidence. Mt.Airy is def in the drivers seat with an unblemished record and homefield advantage. Doesn't guarantee a win by any means. But who wouldnt want those advantages in the Western Finals? Reminds me of when Swain came to Starmount maybe in 2014 for the Western Regionals...similar hype surrounded the game. Starmount Pulverized them by about 40 pt and Swain left shocked. Very very similar situation.

Reminds me of when Swain came to Starmount maybe in 2014 for the Western Regionals...similar hype surrounded the game. Starmount Pulverized them by about 40 pt and Swain left shocked. Very very similar situation.

“You’ve got your parties muddled up.”
—Bullet-Tooth Tony

Murphy has a lot more post season experience than Mt. Airy but I think Mt. Airy will have a slight edge.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Stylistic dream match up!!! Gonna be a good one. Two of the greastest high school coaches in north carolina, and two totally different ball clubs , both can run it and throw it, and both have play makers all over the field, not a one or two player squad like most teams in 1a . A stylistic dream matchup to say the least. In my eyes its a toss up, even money .

What a great game this looks to be. After reading everyone’s comments it should be fun. Pulling for the smc .

Reminds me of when Swain came to Starmount maybe in 2014 for the Western Regionals...similar hype surrounded the game. Starmount Pulverized them by about 40 pt and Swain left shocked. Very very similar situation.
Ok, if you think this is a similar situation I'm not sure we have anything left to discuss. That was a 3rd place SMC team Swain brought to the field and not even remotely comparable talent wise to this year's Murphy team, the talent discrepancy is huge. That Swain team got absolutely destroyed by Murphy that year (a worse beating than Starmount gave them) and Murphy did not even win the SMC that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cold Biscuit
I know everybody probably gets tired of hearin me say this but!!! If mt airy ain't physical then Murphy is gonna put a few more on tha board with explanation marks!! Murphy is very gritty!!!! Pullin for our SMC brother in this en tho!!!

The entire SMC is just very very physical. Murphy just brings it every play, relentless.

Hilarious. You are hung up on that word physical. I watched the N Stanley game film. Didn't see anything physical in that game unless you are talking about late hits,and personal fouls.

Reactions: Fargo2017
Won't see anything that we haven't already seen. Physical games played many times. If sportsmanship was played then you would only win 42-35. Why score when you were up 7 and only needed to take a knee. Lace up the pads and put on the uniforms and come on to Mayberry. We are ready for your dogs. You will see another runner like Davis Fri night.

Reactions: Fargo2017
Won't see anything that we haven't already seen. Physical games played many times. If sportsmanship was played then you would only win 42-35. Why score when you were up 7 and only needed to take a knee. Lace up the pads and put on the uniforms and come on to Mayberry. We are ready for your dogs. You will see another runner like Davis Fri night.

Of course you're going to boast that being from M.A. Davis is probably one, if not the best, running back in 1A. I'm sure Greene is a great athlete, and will most likely get his Friday night just like Davis did against Murphy. So I'm not sure what you're getting at with the whole "oh ya'll just wait till Friday and you see another one like you did last week!" I mean ok but where is North Stanley this coming Friday? Murphy will see plenty of Greene all over the field Friday night but that won't equate to a win for M.A. It's going to take a lot from both teams to win Friday night. I'm looking forward to driving up from Scotland County to watch it.

Sportsmanship? Last time I checked they don't give state championships for "sportsmanship". Dogs are there to win and take no chances in the matter. Pound another touchdown in to put the nail in the coffin and continue their playoff run with the kids confidence at a high for a two touchdown win versus a one in a game where they played their tails off or take a knee to appease angry fans and shout a banner of sportsmanship? Now you tell me what a championship coach is gonna do in that situation? What he thinks is best for HIS players. Ummm duh dude...and if you think the opposite then round ball will be calling you early every year...but hey you have your sportsmanship.

Greene isnt all the Bears have , the Bears have multiple weapons, they will be most balanced team the dogs have seen this year. Mt Airy is a multi faceted team, they can hurt you in many ways. Keep on thinking what you think, boasting about this physical this physical that. Bring what you got to the granite city, bet the Bears will show up , and bet there will be a football game. Who ever wins on friday night will go up 3 - 2 in the head to head stats. But make no mistake about it , you will be playing the best football team , most athletic , and against the best coaching staff you have seen this year. Im expecting a great game between to traditional powerhouses and a lot of respect for each other from the two.

Reactions: sbbbfan
It is ok gdawg they think all that tough talk will scare the Bears into just giving up. Lace up the boots boys. Fri will be best game of the year for both teams.

Reactions: gdawg74
Agreed, last weeks unsportsmanlike penaltys etc to me were the refs being a little flag happy, both teams doing alot of mouthing. The cards had five ejected , aparently for two flags against each of them. All 5 were starters, loss of edwards kid early was big. I guess when the flags were flying both ways that they flew to the same 5 of the cards 2 times apiece and multiple players for the dogs had 1 each , who knows , who cares , i like a little swagger and smack on the field. Thats just me , refs were way out there on some of it. You want find a bigger murphy fan than me WHEN YOU AINT PLAYING THE BEARS. We will see how the cookie crumbles, even money on this one snd a stylistic dream matchup. Its what we wanted and friday night its what we get

Well this escalated quickly . I'm just looking forward to a hard fought game and whoever win to come out of it injury free . That trophy needs to come back west and its been awhile since it has .

Agreed, last weeks unsportsmanlike penaltys etc to me were the refs being a little flag happy, both teams doing alot of mouthing. The cards had five ejected , aparently for two flags against each of them. All 5 were starters, loss of edwards kid early was big. I guess when the flags were flying both ways that they flew to the same 5 of the cards 2 times apiece and multiple players for the dogs had 1 each , who knows , who cares , i like a little swagger and smack on the field. Thats just me , refs were way out there on some of it. You want find a bigger murphy fan than me WHEN YOU AINT PLAYING THE BEARS. We will see how the cookie crumbles, even money on this one snd a stylistic dream matchup. Its what we wanted and friday night its what we get
I have NEVER seen that from a coach Diamont coached team. 5 players ejected ????? Something stinks high Heaven.......I know these refs were not SMC and was not Murphy's falt ,but were they all western NC refs ? Game film don't pick up any talk on the field ... Were they all 2nd string or some 1st some 2nd string ? I was not there and we will never know what if anything not right took place on that field...... Can anyone remember half the kids on the field got ejected 1 or 2 at a time. It is beyound me ! If East Surry got out of had and did not listen to their coach, then they should have been ejected but the coach I have know would have chewed out the team after the first or second player got ejected unless he got mad and told them to go at it but dought that. May have got one ejected to fire up the team but again 5 players ???????????? about that....

Last edited:
Only one was tossed in the first half the rest were tossed in the 4th qtr. Almost all of them were walking towards a ref and jawing specifically to the ref when they received their ejections .

Won't see anything that we haven't already seen.You will see another runner like Davis Fri night.
Murphy by far the best team Mt Airy has seen this season. And win or lose Murphy will not see another runner like #20 Friday night.

Reactions: Griddie
Only one was tossed in the first half the rest were tossed in the 4th qtr. Almost all of them were walking towards a ref and jawing specifically to the ref when they received their ejections .
Thanks for the clarifycation smcdogfan: second string can make sense and bet there was a lot of A$$ chewing in ES fieldhouse and maybe still going on. LOL

Not to compare scores since east is a rivarly game as is swain for the dogs. Bessemer city beat swain and from what i hear the bears could have hung a hundred on them by the end of the 3rd if they wanted to. I was at the east / murphy game, it was indeed a mis match all night. ( im eating crow from the smack talk last week ) about 6 . East Surry could be 1-10 and still give the best bear team in history the game if there life , just how it is here in surry county. The Bears aint East Surry and the Dawgs aint bessemer city. If i was a betting man i would bet on a close game friday night. Unlike east surry the bears have success in the post season and a coaching staff that has had post season success and success against the smokey mountain conference. They are well aware of the physicality and style of football. There will be no surprises friday night in the granite city by either team or coaching staff . It will be standing room only and the atmosphere will be static. The bears are at home and that is a good place to be , safe travels to all and whoever is left standing --- PLEASE GO SHUT TARBORO UP

Bears!!! Gonna show everyone why they're undefeated!!
A 1-10 North Surry or East Surry can give Mount Airy a good game as Swain can Murphy or vice versa because of a rivalry here over the last 50 or 60 years of these teams knowing each others game like a book and same goes for Murphy ,Swain,point this years Swain win over Murphy at Swain. Different story on two teams that have only played 4 times in memory and neither have won more games against the other as they are 2 & 2. East Surry's close game means nothing against Mount Airy played at East Surry no more than Swain's Win over Murphy played at Swain.... If these games were played at Mount Airy or Murphy it could have been a much different story as will the Mount Airy Murphy game WILL be won by the best TEAM on The Wally Shelton Field on this Friday night . Hope they take a moment in rememberence of AD Donald Price.
Again,Murphy have a safe 4 hour 50 minute bus trip to Mount Airy !

Last edited:
True statements. I looked at MA’s schedule. Even looked at their opponents’ schedules. The best team MA played all season was 10-2 North Surry, and they just barely beat the same ES team (24-20) that just got ran out of the stadium by Murphy last week. Outside of North Surry and East Surry, MA has played absolutely nobody all season, or at least certainly nobody on Murphy’s level. I’m not really even convinced that MA is any better than North Stanly to be honest (and that’s not a knock on MA because N. Stanly was a very good team this year). Anything can happen on any given night, but I can promise some of these posters on here that Murphy will come to play, and that they will not be intimidated playing in Mayberry this Friday night!
Good point and as I said in the previous post ,the Mount Airy,North Surry, East Surry rivaly scores mean nothing. 2A North Surry beat East Surry 24-20 as you said but Mount Airy beat North Surry 42 to 10 then Mount Airy beat East Surry by only 10 points 31-21. This is quarter finals of the state playoffs and you are leaving out Mount Airy 1st string blowing out Polk Co. & Bessemer City with the Bears leaving their first string scoreless.And Bessemer beat a team(@ home) Swain that beat Murphy. BUT this is a different game and I am SURE Mount Airy will not be intimidated either. When playing Mount Airy, no team hits them any harder then North Surry or East Surry. I am sure Polk and Bessemer hit hard to ,ask Swain I am sure as good as Swain is year in and year out they will admit Bessemer was no push over and hit them hard or Swain would still be in it. Saying this with respect to both Swain & Murphy. No one on this board is going to talk their team into a win. That will only happen on Wally Shelton Field in Mount Airy Friday night by the team with the most weapons and not by hard hitting as both will hit hard, that is part of the game and intimidates no team that has made it to the Quarter finals. I also don't see either team worried about being hit hard by Tarboro or Holmes the next week......

You’re right, nobody is gonna talk their team to a victory. The best team on Friday will win it on the field. But tell me it’s not fun firing off on here leading up to the game! It gets people riled up and makes things even more exciting. I can’t wait for this game! You said something in your post that makes me even more confident about Friday when you stated that both teams will hit hard, but the team with the most weapons will win. The reason that makes me confident is because there isn’t a 1a team in the state (at least in the west) that is deeper or has more weapons this year than Murphy!
Not having depth does not get any team this deep but to much bragging gets players hurt and only makes the other team mad. Got to be healthy to face the Eastern champ. Right ? That's all I will say because I am not bragging as you have seen. The Western Championship will be won at Mount Airy's Wally Shelton Stadium only by the best athletic team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT