ADVERTISEMENT

3rd round: North Rowan (9-3) at Tarboro (12-0)

Well jump aboard and pull for us! It's all Edgecombe County love. Heated rivalry, but most of the time, SWE and Tarboro only pull against each other once a year. Not like those guys next door in Nash County. They'll fight you depending on who you represent.
I have no problem liking SWE the rest of the year. They are kind of like North Edgecombe. I have no ill will toward our little brother schools.

Reactions: thsvikes
Well jump aboard and pull for us! It's all Edgecombe County love. Heated rivalry, but most of the time, SWE and Tarboro only pull against each other once a year. Not like those guys next door in Nash County. They'll fight you depending on who you represent.
One thing I know for a fact is I’m definitely pulling for North Edgecombe & SouthWest this week! #EdgecombeCountyLove

I had to laugh a little. As much as the mountain folks give folks hell for the "hillbillies" cracks, the stereotype of farming towns took me back like 40 years. Most of the farms down east are now run by corporations and staffed with migrants. The last time I saw hard working farm boys was in the movie Footloose.

Probably economics. Poor counties can’t afford to keep good coaches and people with the money tend to find alternatives to public schools. Just look at Pamlico. They had a great season last year and plenty of momentum, but Coach Nowell took the New Bern job and Pamlico is back in a rebuilding mode. Nowell made a good decision based on the turn around New Bern made, but it sucks for Pamlico.

Williamston was a pretty strong team until Martin Co consolidated the schools. All that history and success is simply gone. Riverside hasn’t carried any of that tradition over. Also see Washington Co (Plymouth) for how consolidation hurts tradition.

Some strong 1A schools just grew into 2A size. Ayden-Grifton, Wallace Rose Hill, SW Onslow, East Bladen and James Kenan all gave 1A East some strength but have gone up to 2A in the last decade. It’s all pretty complicated, but in most cases if you are a 1A sized school in the East, it usually means economics are working against sustainable success.

Has there ever been any talk of Tarboro and North Edgecombe consolidation?. I notice that North Edgecombe has less than 200 students and the 2 schools are about 10 miles. I hope not. Tarboro has too much pride in their program. I notice that Tarboro numbers have dropped over the past few years.

Has there ever been any talk of Tarboro and North Edgecombe consolidation?. I notice that North Edgecombe has less than 200 students and the 2 schools are about 10 miles. I hope not. Tarboro has too much pride in their program. I notice that Tarboro numbers have dropped over the past few years.
I don't know if there is any discussion among the school board, but there seems to be some from the fans at both schools. Each side is proud of its own history and really doesn't want to see it happen. Then you need to factor in the Corning and Triangle Tire plants being built at the Kingsboro site. Projections are between 2500 and 3500 new jobs will be available by the end of 2020. I am pretty sure the school board isn't going to make any decisions on consolidation until they know what affect this will have on student populations.

This kind of growth has folks hoping for an economic rebirth. Edgecombe County lost numerous textiles after NAFTA and the county's biggest employer, Carolina Telephone was acquired by Sprint and those jobs moved to Wake Forest. Hurricane Floyd was the last straw for a lot of people that got flooded out of their homes. Watching our proud little town get punched, kicked around and discarded has been difficult. But our area does have some geographic advantages. It's located on a major, limited-access 4-lane US highway just 15 miles from I-95. CSX will be building a sizable rail cargo terminal in the area also. The new plants are an enormous investment in the area that isn't likely to be tossed aside anytime soon, so hopes are high.

Last edited:
I think they were close to pulling the trigger on consolidation a few years back. So glad it didn't happen. People don't seem to realize that NE has just as much championship tradition as Tarboro, with a few past and current professional athletes themselves. Victor Worsley and Montrez Harrell (nba) come to mind. But Jr is right. Thousands of jobs are on the way that will boost the economy and population of Edgecombe County. Tarboro will be 2A again before long.

I think they were close to pulling the trigger on consolidation a few years back. So glad it didn't happen. People don't seem to realize that NE has just as much championship tradition as Tarboro, with a few past and current professional athletes themselves. Victor Worsley and Montrez Harrell (nba) come to mind. But Jr is right. Thousands of jobs are on the way that will boost the economy and population of Edgecombe County. Tarboro will be 2A again before long.

Old timers like myself remember when Tarboro was 3A.

Had a couple ejections in the Princeton game. Our D-Line got smaller. :(
For what? I saw the delay in the 4th quarter, but what official would eject and not just disqualify when a team is heading to the third round? What did he do? I didn't see a flagrant hit. SMH....

Old timers like myself remember when Tarboro was 3A.
Oh yes. When I came along, it was the Big 8 3A conference. Hunt, Fike, Beddingfield, Bertie, Hertford County, Southern Nash, SWE, and Tarboro. Was a bloodbath. Those behemoths at HC made me quit football.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
It’ll be a while before Tarboro becomes 2A again.

Oh yes. When I came along, it was the Big 8 3A conference. Hunt, Fike, Beddingfield, Bertie, Hertford County, Southern Nash, SWE, and Tarboro. Was a bloodbath. Those behemoths at HC made me quit football.
A friend of mine posted the playoffs from 1993 and that schedule was CRAZY!! Is it someway I can post the picture of it?

I obviously have a few years on you. The conference I remember was Ahoskie, Bertie, Holmes, Plymouth, Roanoke, Roanoke Rapids, Tarboro, Washington and Williamston. Just look at what became of those schools. Ahoskie became Hertford Co. Roanoke is now South Creek, Plymouth is Washington Co. Williamston is now Riverside. Ahoskie was always the toughest nut to crack, so things haven't changed much there, but the others took major steps back in football after consolidation.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
I obviously have a few years on you. The conference I remember was Ahoskie, Bertie, Holmes, Plymouth, Roanoke, Roanoke Rapids, Tarboro, Washington and Williamston. Just look at what became of those schools. Ahoskie became Hertford Co. Roanoke is now South Creek, Plymouth is Washington Co. Williamston is now Riverside. Ahoskie was always the toughest nut to crack, so things haven't changed much there, but the others took major steps back in football after consolidation.
Yeah, Ahoskie High School was before I knew anything about football. It's always been HC to me. I'm 39. The conference you mentioned was an interesting collection.

Being considered poor in the west and poor in the East are completely different. And some of y’all may not understand what I mean by that. It wasn’t long ago Plymouth High School was playing for 1A State Titles in donated uniforms. These communities have no support! And because of that, fewer kids want to play. Washington County will be fine, they have someone who is going to succeed for a while in place. It’s just gonna be an adjustment period for him and the kids. I have heard for 15 years now the East was so weak, and in that time I’ve watched teams like Plymouth, Tarboro, WRH, James Kenan Clinton just to name a few, compete year in an year out . And if we want to argue about depth, then maybe the west has an argument. But since 2009, in 1A and 1AA, the East leads 11-9... and in 1AA, the East has won 7 in a row! that’s a far cry from all the chatter I constantly hear about the East being weak. And just to give my opinion. As much as I like the subdivisions.... the 8 years leading in to subdivisions, the East was 5-3 in 1A titles... the first 6 years after subdivisions, the west won every title in 1A and 1AA... who do you think was helped by subdivisions? I’ll let y’all figure it out.

We must be about the same age.

Being considered poor in the west and poor in the East are completely different. And some of y’all may not understand what I mean by that. It wasn’t long ago Plymouth High School was playing for 1A State Titles in donated uniforms. These communities have no support! And because of that, fewer kids want to play. Washington County will be fine, they have someone who is going to succeed for a while in place. It’s just gonna be an adjustment period for him and the kids. I have heard for 15 years now the East was so weak, and in that time I’ve watched teams like Plymouth, Tarboro, WRH, James Kenan Clinton just to name a few, compete year in an year out . And if we want to argue about depth, then maybe the west has an argument. But since 2009, in 1A and 1AA, the East leads 11-9... and in 1AA, the East has won 7 in a row! that’s a far cry from all the chatter I constantly hear about the East being weak. And just to give my opinion. As much as I like the subdivisions.... the 8 years leading in to subdivisions, the East was 5-3 in 1A titles... the first 6 years after subdivisions, the west won every title in 1A and 1AA... who do you think was helped by subdivisions? I’ll let y’all figure it out.
Well it doesn't sound like the east is weak at all!

yall better hope the SMC boys don’t open this thread! They will go crazy at those stats!
No, they will come on here and try to somehow defend how strong they are. And because we are in the East, we know nothing. And one poster in particular will be the first to point that out... I’ll let him make himself known. I don’t need to point him out, LOL

Tell me about it. They think the M is an E and the east is the Big East. You know...no football.

I thought about responding to the west always blowing out the east in 1a....but then decided it isn't worth it. Excluding last years murphy pamlico game the 1a state championship has been very competitive over the last 10-15 years. The west does hold the lead but for the most part over half the games have been decided by a t.d. or less and maybe 5 by 3pts or less.

I was in Craven County back then. West Craven always had to play one of those schools in the playoffs. It was always a fist fight. Except for Tarboro. Couldn’t find the damn football against them. LOL

No, they will come on here and try to somehow defend how strong they are. And because we are in the East, we know nothing. And one poster in particular will be the first to point that out... I’ll let him make himself known. I don’t need to point him out, LOL
Funny how that works.

I was in Craven County back then. West Craven always had to play one of those schools in the playoffs. It was always a fist fight. Except for Tarboro. Couldn’t find the damn football against them. LOL
Funny how that happens. It’s like a right of passage for Tarboro’s opponents through the decades.

I disagree. I'm just curious about him saying a few won't understand. I'd like to know his viewpoints on the differences between the east and west.
Well, I'll share mine. I think the mountain schools tend to have a bit more stability and a sense of community than schools in the east. The east is such a hodge podge. You have coastal areas that lean a lot on tourism, larger cities like Greenville, Jacksonville, Wilmington, Rocky Mount, Kinston, Fayetteville, etc that have some economic identity. The 1A East in most cases are remote counties with very little in common with each other save their limited resources. They are spread out over such a wide area that there is little in the way of true rivals. Its really hard to get excited to play football against conference opponents you have no natural rivalry with. Mountain schools have been playing each other for years and they seem to hang together.

Well, I'll share mine. I think the mountain schools tend to have a bit more stability and a sense of community than schools in the east. The east is such a hodge podge. You have coastal areas that lean a lot on tourism, larger cities like Greenville, Jacksonville, Wilmington, Rocky Mount, Kinston, Fayetteville, etc that have some economic identity. The 1A East in most cases are remote counties with very little in common with each other save their limited resources. They are spread out over such a wide area that there is little in the way of true rivals. Its really hard to get excited to play football against conference opponents you have no natural rivalry with. Mountain schools have been playing each other for years and they seem to hang together.

Even the State government short changes the areas east of I95, except four laning the roads so Raleighites can get to the beach quicker.

Reactions: 35Lead and JAHAces
It was tried once to build an interstate highway through the mountains, the state has been cleaning up rockslides ever since.

Haha I guess everyone's got problems. There's an area of Mitchell county called Henson creek. It's only accessible by Avery county because the state never finished Cane Creek road to access it.

Haha I guess everyone's got problems. There's an area of Mitchell county called Henson creek. It's only accessible by Avery county because the state never finished Cane Creek road to access it.
Lol, only the upper part. The rest is in Avery county. A friend of mine had to get Mitchell county to sign off on his son going to Avery schools every yr he was there. The only way off Henson creek was through Avery county. Lol.

One was unsportsmanlike. One was a very questionable targeting call that is being appealed. My fingers are crossed. We really need him.
I’ve been thinking about this one for a day or two and this has got to be maddening for the coaches. From what I’ve heard, this is a solid team with no reputation for poor sportsmanship or carelessness. I can’t imagine getting the opportunity to play the #1 team in the state but you are doing it without two of your best defenders due to ejections. Crazy bad luck there.

Reactions: Green & Gold
.....The first year of that conference was 1973.....Ahoskie won in 73 and 74 and Edenton won in 75. You had to win the conference back then to get into the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT