ADVERTISEMENT

3rd round: North Rowan (9-3) at Tarboro (12-0)

TarVikes

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2017
Lets get it started. North Rowan looks like they have some big boys. Will they be able to spoil the Vikings thanksgiving?

Think we’ll get more of a fight than we’ve had in a while, but in the end I think we come away with a three score win

NR isn't any push over that's for dang sure...they always have play makers with speed and some good sized kids,I'm really surprised they haven't won a state championship by now,believe the only one they went to was in 92 against Cummings in 3A

NR isn't any push over that's for dang sure...they always have play makers with speed and some good sized kids,I'm really surprised they haven't won a state championship by now,believe the only one they went to was in 92 against Cummings in 3A
I noticed that on the game I watched on YouTube from earlier this year - they have some big dudes and like a 6’5 WR that’s a playmaker

They'll come out fired up, maybe play y'all even for a couple series, then reality sets in and Tarboro's on them like a hobo on a hamburger.

Well. It’s true, boring or not. My honest question and this isn’t a cut, how does that happen. Eastern N.C. should have great athletes, farming towns with hard working kids, and fan bases like ours. Why aren’t y’all seeing competition down East?

Well. It’s true, boring or not. My honest question and this isn’t a cut, how does that happen. Eastern N.C. should have great athletes, farming towns with hard working kids, and fan bases like ours. Why aren’t y’all seeing competition down East?
Probably economics. Poor counties can’t afford to keep good coaches and people with the money tend to find alternatives to public schools. Just look at Pamlico. They had a great season last year and plenty of momentum, but Coach Nowell took the New Bern job and Pamlico is back in a rebuilding mode. Nowell made a good decision based on the turn around New Bern made, but it sucks for Pamlico.

Williamston was a pretty strong team until Martin Co consolidated the schools. All that history and success is simply gone. Riverside hasn’t carried any of that tradition over. Also see Washington Co (Plymouth) for how consolidation hurts tradition.

Some strong 1A schools just grew into 2A size. Ayden-Grifton, Wallace Rose Hill, SW Onslow, East Bladen and James Kenan all gave 1A East some strength but have gone up to 2A in the last decade. It’s all pretty complicated, but in most cases if you are a 1A sized school in the East, it usually means economics are working against sustainable success.

Last edited:
True. I guess mountain teams are fortunate hometown guys come back here to raise their families and coach

True. I guess mountain teams are fortunate hometown guys come back here to raise their families and coach
I had to laugh a little. As much as the mountain folks give folks hell for the "hillbillies" cracks, the stereotype of farming towns took me back like 40 years. Most of the farms down east are now run by corporations and staffed with migrants. The last time I saw hard working farm boys was in the movie Footloose.

Well. I had a buddy went to ncsu and there was a boat load of hog farmers from down East there.

What the hell are you talking about?
Mitchell county is drying up faster than a piss puddle on a hot day. NO ONE is sticking around to raise their families, unless they are methed up. I'm a rare occurrence, seeing as I'm young, chose to stay and raise a family here. Hence why the school had a near steady adm of 900-1000 students for the first 35 years, now under 500...

Coaches Mountie. Not whole community. He said their coaches move around a lot. Ours come back here to coach.

Mitchell Mountie. You should read “Hillbilly Elegy”. By JD Vance. Tells us some things happening in our area!

Reactions: Mhsneer
I honestly don't get how one can say the east is weak and the west is not. Based on what? Is Tarboro and Holmes undefeated while every other team is 5-5 or worse? Is every team in the west 12-1? Is it because the west sends a new representative to the championship every year? Because that just shows me that there isn't a dominant team there and SOMEBODY has to go. And somebody has to win the whole thing, so the west winning the majority doesn't mean much. I would understand if in all classes the west was 8-0 or 7-1. So what exactly shows that the east is weak and the west is superior? There are just as many sub .500 teams in the west as it is the east. Has to be. For every win, there is a loss.

Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
The east usually gets blown out in the 1a title game. After Plymouth the east didnt have much

Tarboro will score 50 plus...not because North is bad, but because they are Tarboro. I saw NR last week. They are solid for 1A. I saw Tarboro in the third round last year. They could win 3A titles or better with their depth and discipline. I doubt that has changed. I think the NR offense can keep it respectable, but the 50 plus will happen....imo. Maybe 55-18. (NR has no extra point kicker.)

Their d-line has really good size. Probably the biggest we’ve seen this year. It’ll be interesting to see how we handle that.

Tarboro will score 50 plus...not because North is bad, but because they are Tarboro. I saw NR last week. They are solid for 1A. I saw Tarboro in the third round last year. They could win 3A titles or better with their depth and discipline. I doubt that has changed. I think the NR offense can keep it respectable, but the 50 plus will happen....imo. Maybe 55-18. (NR has no extra point kicker.)
Lord, please don't get people started on the Tarboro being able to win 2A, 3A, 4A titles as currently constructed. I, for one, think they could win 3A, but am not sure if they could win 2AA over Shelby. Probably, but I can see Shelby winning, too. Pretty sure they can beat Reidsville in 2A. It's not like they are far removed from winning all those 2A titles anyway. I know they can compete and be at least 3rd round participants in 3AA.
All I'm saying is, people hate to hear talk about them being able to win higher classes. Get all defensive about it.

Lord, please don't get people started on the Tarboro being able to win 2A, 3A, 4A titles as currently constructed. I, for one, think they could win 3A, but am not sure if they could win 2AA over Shelby. Probably, but I can see Shelby winning, too. Pretty sure they can beat Reidsville in 2A. It's not like they are far removed from winning all those 2A titles anyway. I know they can compete and be at least 3rd round participants in 3AA.
All I'm saying is, people hate to hear talk about them being able to win higher classes. Get all defensive about it.
You make it hard for this Tarboro fan to pull against SWE!

Reactions: SWE'98
Had a couple ejections in the Princeton game. Our D-Line got smaller. :(
Both guys got tossed for unsportsmanlike conduct? I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one guy ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct, much less two in the same game. I guess there was an official that didn't forget his hearing aids?

One was unsportsmanlike. One was a very questionable targeting call that is being appealed. My fingers are crossed. We really need him.

You make it hard for this Tarboro fan to pull against SWE!
Well jump aboard and pull for us! It's all Edgecombe County love. Heated rivalry, but most of the time, SWE and Tarboro only pull against each other once a year. Not like those guys next door in Nash County. They'll fight you depending on who you represent.

One was unsportsmanlike. One was a very questionable targeting call that is being appealed. My fingers are crossed. We really need him.
I read the article from the Salisbury Post. I guess the writer wasn't sure what the call was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT