ADVERTISEMENT

3A Prelim Brackets

f-ball-ace

Apr 20, 2021
Somebody needs to start a prelim brackets for 3a. Man y'all are way behind the little ole 1a thread and 2a.. lol

I don't think Ashbrook will be much of a threat (edit - to Kings Mountain), but next week they will face Crest, that will be a test of fortitude. If they make through the regular season healthy, they will be tough, as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyreeseram
Based off the preliminary RPI's... (I have no clue on some of these teams and whose leading the conference so it's probably wrong). If you guys know of conference leaders/champions we may be able to figure it out. Obviously it's all pretty fluid right now.

3a West
1. KM
32. West Henderson

2. Pisgah
31. West Meck

3. Statesville
30. West Cabarrus

4. Ledford
29. North Henderson

5. Smoky Mountain
28. Lake Norman Charter

6. Dudley
27. Freedom

7. Central Davidson
26. Forestview

8. Crest
25. North Davidson

9. Rockingham County
24. Cramer

10. Franklin
23. Hibriten

11. North Lincoln
22. Tuscola

12. Eastern Guilford
21. Parkwood

13. Oak Grove
20. Concord

14. East Lincoln
19. Erwin

15. South Point
18. West Charlotte

16. West Rowan
17. Hickory

16 Automatic Births- 1st of 2nd in the conference as well as split conference results. So 16 wildcards
If Pisgah beats East Henderson this week, they will at least be co-champion of the Mountain 7. If they beat North Henderson next week, they will be outright champion. Smoky and Tuscola are playing this week. Whoever wins should finish in 2nd place.

Last edited:
Hard to project anything with RPI being involved, I mean with it taking into account your opponent’s record and your opponent’s opponent record who know what can happen the last two weeks. Someone you don’t even play could move your team up or down depending on how they do the final two weeks. 🙄🙄

Reactions: PisgahBear9975
Based off the preliminary RPI's... (I have no clue on some of these teams and whose leading the conference so it's probably wrong). If you guys know of conference leaders/champions we may be able to figure it out. Obviously it's all pretty fluid right now.

3a West
1. KM
32. West Henderson

2. Pisgah
31. West Meck

3. Statesville
30. West Cabarrus

4. Ledford
29. North Henderson

5. Smoky Mountain
28. Lake Norman Charter

6. Dudley
27. Freedom

7. Central Davidson
26. Forestview

8. Crest
25. North Davidson

9. Rockingham County
24. Cramer

10. Franklin
23. Hibriten

11. North Lincoln
22. Tuscola

12. Eastern Guilford
21. Parkwood

13. Oak Grove
20. Concord

14. East Lincoln
19. Erwin

15. South Point
18. West Charlotte

16. West Rowan
17. Hickory
seed conference #1 then conference #2 then wild cards. Ledford will be a wild card. They are 3rd or 4th in their league.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
1 thru 10 will be the #1's then 11 thru 18 the #2's then 19 thru 32 wild cards
There are 10 conferences including the split conference.
Therefore 10 conference champions and 8 2nd place finishers.
Then wild cards

Last edited:
seed conference #1 then conference #2 then wild cards. Ledford will be a wild card. They are 3rd or 4th in their league.
According to NCHSAA seeding in after the #1’s are seeded all others will be seeded by RPI regardless of conference finish. See below:

• Conference champions will be seeded before any other qualifying teams by RPI rating
  • All other teams will be seeded after the conference champions by RPI rating of the school, regardless of conference finish
  • Each region (East/West) will be seeded independently of one another, utilizing the RPI rating of the school

Automatic Qualification •
Each conference will be allotted playoff berths based on the number of schools fielding a team in a particular sport
1-5 Teams = 1 Berth (Conference Champion)
6+ Teams = 2 Berths (Conference Champion + 2 nd Place) The highest finishing team from a given classification in a split conference will automatically qualify, regardless of overall conference finish (minimum of 2 schools per classification) • Addition of RPI rating to Handbook for conference tie-breaking procedure as the final tiebreaker

Some 2nd place teams will be automatic qualifiers because of the number of teams in their con but they will be seeded by their RPI with the rest. Also for split con I believe you have to finish in top 3 and have a .500 record to automatically qualify if you don't its left to your RPI if you get in. It also looks like you have to win your con even in split to get one of the top seeds. That eliminates a situation where you have a team win 1 con game and get a top seed like we have seen in the past. If I counted right, there are no 3A teams leading a split con so its possible you only have 6 con champions to seed first.

Again that was how I understood what I read but as it has been in the past with the playoff$.....who really knows?

A lot to still shake out in these last 2 weeks.

Yes, the first place finishers will be seeded, then all other teams will be seeded. 2nd place finishers will be seeded with the wild cards based on RPI. Therefore, you can have wild card teams seeded higher than 2nd place finishers.

Some 2nd place teams will be automatic qualifiers because of the number of teams in their con but they will be seeded by their RPI with the rest. Also for split con I believe you have to finish in top 3 and have a .500 record to automatically qualify if you don't its left to your RPI if you get in. It also looks like you have to win your con even in split to get one of the top seeds. That eliminates a situation where you have a team win 1 con game and get a top seed like we have seen in the past. If I counted right, there are no 3A teams leading a split con so its possible you only have 6 con champions to seed first.

Again that was how I understood what I read but as it has been in the past with the playoff$.....who really knows?

A lot to still shake out in these last 2 weeks.
Hibriten is leading their conference which is a split conference as of today

Reactions: beamer24

3a West
1. KM
32. West Henderson

2. Pisgah
31. West Meck

3. Statesville
30. West Cabarrus

4. Ledford
29. North Henderson

5. Smoky Mountain
28. Lake Norman Charter

6. Dudley
27. Freedom

7. Central Davidson
26. Forestview

8. Crest
25. North Davidson

9. Rockingham County
24. Cramer

10. Franklin
23. Hibriten

11. North Lincoln
22. Tuscola

12. Eastern Guilford
21. Parkwood

13. Oak Grove
20. Concord

14. East Lincoln
19. Erwin

15. South Point
18. West Charlotte

16. West Rowan
17. Hickory
Pretty sure West Cabarrus is 4A!

Reactions: Hon Dines
As it stands at the moment and if they were making brackets today for the 3a West, this is who would be in. I suspect there will be some change after this Friday however, you could expect top 20 to be in the playoffs.

CLASS 3A WEST

1 Kings Mountain
2 Pisgah
3 Ledford
4 Statesville
5 Smoky Mountain
6 Dudley
7 Crest
8 South Point
9 North Lincoln
10 Eastern Guilford
11 Central Davidson
12 East Lincoln
13 Concord
14 Oak Grove
15 Erwin
16 West Charlotte
17 North Davidson
18 Hickory
19 Parkwood
20 Hibriten
21 West Rowan
22 Franklin
23 Rockingham County
24 Cramer
25 Tuscola
26 West Henderson
27 Forestview
28 Freedom
29 Northwest Cabarrus
30 Lake Norman Charter
31 Enka
32 Ben L. Smith

Scariest team in that whole bracket is West Charlotte!! The level of competition they have faced in conference is probably better than the other 3A teams easily
That should make things interesting come round one and maybe round two. Those underdog's can be heartbreakers!

Reactions: Crestuff
Ledford is in 4th place in the MPC? Why are they ranked so high?
Good question. Looking at their RPI, the only thing I noticed was they have very high OWP, not sure if that's why they are 4'th or not? Overall 7-2 and 2-2 in the conference with 4'th place in their conference of six teams...?

Good question. Looking at their RPI, the only thing I noticed was they have very high OWP, not sure if that's why they are 4'th or not? Overall 7-2 and 2-2 in the conference with 4'th place in their conference of six teams...?
Ledford went on the road and whipped Providence Grove and Clinton on consecutive Friday nights. That’s hard to do especially this season when PG is really good. Ledford is a very good football team

Reactions: f-ball-ace
I hope someone can help me - what if there is a 3 way tie? We are in a split conference so, Rose, Jacksonville and Havelock might end up 4-2 in this split conference. That's good enough for 2nd overall but all three are tied for 1st in the 3a portion? What tie breaker is used? We're all 1-1 against each other but only Jacksonville has beat New Bern, the overall conference champ.

I hope someone can help me - what if there is a 3 way tie? We are in a split conference so, Rose, Jacksonville and Havelock might end up 4-2 in this split conference. That's good enough for 2nd overall but all three are tied for 1st in the 3a portion? What tie breaker is used? We're all 1-1 against each other but only Jacksonville has beat New Bern, the overall conference champ.
Below is what I read on HighSchoolOT

*J.H. Rose could fall into a three-way tie if it were to lose on Friday. If there is a three-way tie with Rose, Jacksonville, and Havelock, Jacksonville would win the tiebreaker by virtue of "best win" -- being the only team to knock off first-place New Bern.

Below is what I read on HighSchoolOT

*J.H. Rose could fall into a three-way tie if it were to lose on Friday. If there is a three-way tie with Rose, Jacksonville, and Havelock, Jacksonville would win the tiebreaker by virtue of "best win" -- being the only team to knock off first-place New Bern.
Dang!!! That's one helluva situation there!! Bet Rose takes the cake though Friday!! We shall see though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT