ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Round: Salisbury @ Burns

With all due respect- these comments bother me. By saying “We will get ‘em next year” we keep a positive attitude that is nessary to be real competitors. Not quite making it- whether it be the state championship or beating a particular rival, is disappointing of course but most of this comes from the situation we continue to endure in our county. 1st/There is Shelby- who forever has been successful, has competed in football for over 100 years, has had resources and facilities available to them that outshine most high school programs of any other NC school their size. They have so many championships, it only wets everybody else’s appetite to an unhealthy obsession. However, we have also beaten them several years when they went on to win some of those championships. We have beat them several years in a row more than once. There is no better feeling than beating Shelby, plus when we do, we know we can beat just about anybody else. 2nd- Then there is Kings Mountain. They always have good teams. I can think back and count up many times we have beaten them when they were suppose to be unbeatable. In recent years, their teams and facilities have also risen to “another category.” We have still beaten them as many times as they have beaten us. It’s a pretty even rivialy. How terrible it must have been for them when we had to play all our playoff games in their stadium because of the goat ordeal. They too have had opportunities to win the state but still have not. Even with a team this year who many said had little to no weaknesses they didn’t do it. They even struggled to beat Shelby who was supposed to be a little down this year but before the season many spoke of how good they would be again, especially their solid defense, perhaps one of the best ever. We should have beat Shelby this year, came close, and had to play them twice last year but as good as we were they were a notch better. Gotta hate it- but it’s just the truth. Add another “not quite” to the long list. As good as they have had it- most of what I’ve heard this year from their supporters is complaints. That is sad. 3rd- Then there are the beloved Chargers. We were sister schools in the beginning. Both new county rural schools, we had never played football before and we were just happy to have teams. Slowly boiling springs grew and Crest became the “other Shelby High.” They simply outgrew us. They became the largest school in the county, built a strong program, and have seen a lot of success as well. They have been our biggest nemniss, we have beaten them the least of the 3. It’s a head game, David and Goliath. We have had great “almost” games but perhaps the best win is still the one in 1980 when no one had scored on them and they had already badly beaten Shelby for the first time ever and we played at Crest that year where we beat them 7-3. I have been a bulldog from the beginning. I have been to most Burns games over the last 50 plus years. A great deal of frustration comes from our environment, our community, the successful programs all around us. Of course we want what they have. Remember -It is a very unusual situation. Let’s get real. We will probably Never catch up with them. But what adventures we have with them, unlike anywhere else. How dull it would be without them. Burns has been very successful. We have lost to eventual state winners several times. We have won many games with great talent and some luck- even when we probably should not have and even in the last seconds like we just lost this past weekend. Try not to focus on the disappointments. What a privilege it has been to be a Bulldog- often underdogs, sometimes Topdogs, always redheaded step-dogs but uniquely Maddogs. Winning is never so good as when you’ve fought your way from the distant Northern part of this county. The other schools have our respect- and I know we’ve also earned theirs.
That is a correct statement.

Yes he certainly is and I’m glad for it. But this is the mentality that constantly kills burns “we’ll get em next year”

that has to change period or we will never do anything more than what we’re doing now.
With all due respect- these comments bother me. By saying “We will get ‘em next year” we keep a positive attitude that is nessary to be real competitors. Not quite making it- whether it be the state championship or beating a particular rival, is disappointing of course but most of this comes from the situation we continue to endure in our county. 1st/There is Shelby- who forever has been successful, has competed in football for over 100 years, has had resources and facilities available to them that outshine most high school programs of any other NC school their size. They have so many championships, it only wets everybody else’s appetite to an unhealthy obsession. However, we have also beaten them several years when they went on to win some of those championships. We have beat them several years in a row more than once. There is no better feeling than beating Shelby, plus when we do, we know we can beat just about anybody else. 2nd- Then there is Kings Mountain. They always have good teams. I can think back and count up many times we have beaten them when they were suppose to be unbeatable. In recent years, their teams and facilities have also risen to “another category.” We have still beaten them as many times as they have beaten us. It’s a pretty even rivialy. How terrible it must have been for them when we had to play all our playoff games in their stadium because of the goat ordeal. They too have had opportunities to win the state but still have not. Even with a team this year who many said had little to no weaknesses they didn’t do it. They even struggled to beat Shelby who was supposed to be a little down this year but before the season many spoke of how good they would be again, especially their solid defense, perhaps one of the best ever. We should have beat Shelby this year, came close, and had to play them twice last year but as good as we were they were a notch better. Gotta hate it- but it’s just the truth. Add another “not quite” to the long list. As good as they have had it- most of what I’ve heard this year from their supporters is complaints. That is sad. 3rd- Then there are the beloved Chargers. We were sister schools in the beginning. Both new county rural schools, we had never played football before and we were just happy to have teams. Slowly boiling springs grew and Crest became the “other Shelby High.” They simply outgrew us. They became the largest school in the county, built a strong program, and have seen a lot of success as well. They have been our biggest nemniss, we have beaten them the least of the 3. It’s a head game, David and Goliath. We have had great “almost” games but perhaps the best win is still the one in 1980 when no one had scored on them and they had already badly beaten Shelby for the first time ever and we played at Crest that year where we beat them 7-3. I have been a bulldog from the beginning. I have been to most Burns games over the last 50 plus years. A great deal of frustration comes from our environment, our community, the successful programs all around us. Of course we want what they have. Remember -It is a very unusual situation. Let’s get real. We will probably Never catch up with them. But what adventures we have with them, unlike anywhere else. How dull it would be without them. Burns has been very successful. We have lost to eventual state winners several times. We have won many games with great talent and some luck- even when we probably should not have and even in the last seconds like we just lost this past weekend. Try not to focus on the disappointments. What a privilege it has been to be a Bulldog- often underdogs, sometimes Topdogs, always redheaded step-dogs but uniquely Maddogs. Winning is never so good as when you’ve fought your way from the distant Northern part of this county. The other schools have our respect- and I know we’ve also earned theirs.
nemesis- spelled correctly
-ˈone that inflicts retribution or vengeance
a formidable and usually victorious rival or opponent

Great post....I wasn’t sure if that 1980 game was at Burns or at Crest. Thought we might have played them at Burns in 1984 and 1985. Of course we still lost the conference to the Chargers that year because of two late losses.

In high school someone on the newspaper staff asked me who our biggest rival was...I said Shelby. I think it was after the state championship. It was probably because we were in the same conference...and Burns and Crest had more respect for each other because of the simultaneous state championships and being sister schools. 10 years later I would’ve said Crest. Now it’s probably Shelby again. These things tend to be cyclical.

Last edited:
Great post....I wasn’t sure if that 1980 game was at Burns or at Crest. Thought we might have played them at Burns in 1984 and 1985. Of course we still lost the conference to the Chargers that year because of two late losses.

In high school someone on the newspaper staff asked me who our biggest rival was...I said Shelby. I think it was after the state championship. It was probably because we were in the same conference...and Burns and Crest had more respect for each other because of the simultaneous state championships and being sister schools. 10 years later I would’ve said Crest. Now it’s probably Shelby again. These things tend to be cyclical.
This will be the only season ever where we can say "we will get em this year " 😀

Trust me when I say that I know how bad the program was after Coach Beam left. But it doesn’t matter what happened then. It don’t matter what happened in 1994 or 1980 or 2010 or 2016. What matters is today. What matters is those kids having their best chance. I love Devine and think he is doing a great job and have never thought different. I’d have rather ran 4 plays in that goal line situation with the ones that took them down the field and not scored than to put in wildcat with a guy that hasn’t ran it all year. To the people who think that just because they are involved a little bit financially and they have some sort of control is crazy. But people that actually pay attention to what is being done on a week to week basis realize that there is a change that needs to be made. Players can make you look good, especially that #8 that hangs on the wall at the high school now. The seasons going forward will get easier BUT the playoffs will get tougher. The last thing we need is to have a coach getting away with very poor play call and then get to playoffs and get put on the shelf.

it’s bad when players and kids in the stands question what is going on. When the players notice it that leads to them not trusting in you. Not a good combination at all.

Trust me when I say that I know how bad the program was after Coach Beam left. But it doesn’t matter what happened then. It don’t matter what happened in 1994 or 1980 or 2010 or 2016. What matters is today. What matters is those kids having their best chance. I love Devine and think he is doing a great job and have never thought different. I’d have rather ran 4 plays in that goal line situation with the ones that took them down the field and not scored than to put in wildcat with a guy that hasn’t ran it all year. To the people who think that just because they are involved a little bit financially and they have some sort of control is crazy. But people that actually pay attention to what is being done on a week to week basis realize that there is a change that needs to be made. Players can make you look good, especially that #8 that hangs on the wall at the high school now. The seasons going forward will get easier BUT the playoffs will get tougher. The last thing we need is to have a coach getting away with very poor play call and then get to playoffs and get put on the shelf.

it’s bad when players and kids in the stands question what is going on. When the players notice it that leads to them not trusting in you. Not a good combination at all.
I don’t disagree. I don’t understand it either. We marched all the way down the field and then changed it up, and came up with 0. And just one comment about Beam. He came in at a perfect time to coach an idea group already in place. That’s why when that group all graduated I was excited to see what kind of coach he really was because he was going to have to build from the ground up.
He bailed. I don’t care what everybody else says- he could have stayed but he did not choose to. David is an alumni. David wants to be there. David is a good coach. We need a good offensive coordinator, and we need extra attention on special teams- kicking needs to be an emphasis. We need a couple really good kickers. We need to bone up on the little things and change what needs changing- whatever that is.

So when you say change are you talking about the OC? When Dave came in 2016 it was a blessing and bringing Steven Pack and coach Goss along was genius. I know pack is at NC and I doubt Coach Goss was involved this year.

One last statement about coach S who came after Beam. He was a good man- but I think he thought he was coming from a 4a school to a smaller school to chill a bit and raise his young children. The powers that be -did him an injustice by not preparing him for the reality of the challenge he was stepping into. We had a couple skinny years plus we lost a few important players to neighboring schools due to the fact that some influential people did not get the coach they wanted. There is so much crappy politics to deal with behind the scenes. Believe me- I know. And yes- history always matters. We know where we are headed only when we remember where we’ve come from. Please let’s not become ignorant like so many people today. Where we have been is very important to our future. Every team in this county is disappointed with their season this year in some way. Heck-some Crest and Shelby big wigs go into panic mode when the football gods don’t bless them with perfection every year. At Burns- we know better or at least we should. I’m done for this year.

One last statement about coach S who came after Beam. He was a good man- but I think he thought he was coming from a 4a school to a smaller school to chill a bit and raise his young children. The powers that be -did him an injustice by not preparing him for the reality of the challenge he was stepping into. We had a couple skinny years plus we lost a few important players to neighboring schools due to the fact that some influential people did not get the coach they wanted. There is so much crappy politics to deal with behind the scenes. Believe me- I know. And yes- history always matters. We know where we are headed only when we remember where we’ve come from. Please let’s not become ignorant like so many people today. Where we have been is very important to our future. Every team in this county is disappointed with their season this year in some way. Heck-some Crest and Shelby big wigs go into panic mode when the football gods don’t bless them with perfection every year. At Burns- we know better or at least we should. I’m done for this year.
While those years were bad…at least we didn’t have to forfeit any games.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT