Votes: 1 1.4%
  • #5 Swain County

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • #6 Murphy

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Two questions for anyone who is familiar with North Stanly: 1) How does North Stanly compare to the Albemarle teams from say, 2009-2013? 2) They are 10-1, which is excellent, but is that a product of a weak schedule, or are they just "that" good? I have no idea about the strength of the YVC outside of WM, and stopped keeping up with it much when Albemarle went on their down swing.

NS is a sound football team with great special teams. Not sure how they compare to those teams from Albemarle in the past but definitely a solid team that will be difficult for anybody to beat. They impressed me against north Rowan. They dominated them in every phase.

......And North Rowan has always been super athletic if thats a measure of N.Stanley's potential.

I saw North Rowan once. I believe it was in 2009. Murphy beat them by a couple of TDs that year.

I'm not sure if NS can beat Murphy or not but they are a good football team. From what I have heard about Murphy I think they will win that matchup but I think it will be a close game and a mistake or two by Murphy could land NS the win.

Murphy's coach is as crafty and organized as it comes. North has to play their A game. Think this could be a classic!

SS is not the same mid-season team. Heard they having problems with attitudes, injuries, parents, suspensions, coaches talking about other schools players, JV folded. Big mess. Murphy will have running clock early. NS is an unknown. Their D has been nice all year and their O getting some help from the QB. Just not sure if their O will help keep them in a slugfest with Murphy. NS can't run #20 every down. NR might Wake-up in playoffs. WM should coast into Tarboro. Alb back in playoffs? Good experience for the young guys. Short one. Next will be better for this group.

Swain & Mt A are 2 teams that can be scary and nobody is talking about them. Swain has about all back from a team that went toe to toe with WM last year & beat Murphy this year. Mt A is one of those sneaky good mountain teams that I haven't seen and nobody is hyping much. Wouldn't be surprised if they handled the West.

Swain has a great chance. They have a huge line and one of the most dangerous QBs in the West who runs their offense to perfection. They started off as usual with a tough out of conference schedule but as usual this time of season are clicking on all cylinders

I don't see it from Swain this year. Just too inconsistent to make a sure bet on them. If the middle of the line opens up and lets somebody run all over them like Cherokee did, we might not see the 3rd round. But having 84 back for the playoffs should bolster our receiving core hopefully a little more once the nerves calm down for him.

And don't look at Murphy as a 6 seed. That was pure luck of the draw that got them that low. A great QB and a RB that does great following blocks and a LB corps that gets into the backfield with ease.

I bet Coach Gentry from Murphy is one unhappy camper. They finally have some competition in the playoffs and wont get a cakewalk like most years.

Lol if you think Murphy coaches and players are worried about being in 1AA. You must not have kept up with the 1A playoffs last year. MIC and Mitchell weren't exactly cakewalks. But I would expect a post like this from a hater such as yourself.

Lol if you think Murphy coaches and players are worried about being in 1AA. You must not have kept up with the 1A playoffs last year. MIC and Mitchell weren't exactly cakewalks. But I would expect a post like this from a hater such as yourself.

I seen both teams you mentioned play last year. They were average at best. You guys will finally get a taste of what real playoffs is like this season. No more 3rd games vs some pushover from your own conference. 1AA is certainly not on par with the competition seen in 2A and up, but it is a heck of a lot better than small 1A.

I seen both teams you mentioned play last year. They were average at best. You guys will finally get a taste of what real playoffs is like this season. No more 3rd games vs some pushover from your own conference. 1AA is certainly not on par with the competition seen in 2A and up, but it is a heck of a lot better than small 1A.
That’s ridiculous saying that. So that means 3A thinks 2A is not good football and 4 A doesn’t think 3A is good football. They have the 4 divisions for a reason. For any student athletes that might read your comment would be a shame. Each player, team or coach will be offended by the disrespect of 1A football. It’s a game for kids and they give it their all no matter what division or school they play for

I bet Coach Gentry from Murphy is one unhappy camper. They finally have some competition in the playoffs and wont get a cakewalk like most years.
I dought he cares, there use to be no big or small,. , Just as swain Murphy robbinsville ect , we played who ever, so I'm not sure where this he is upset about it,

Murphy has the best chance to come out of the west with the experience they have and the coaching staff, but don’t sleep on a team like Swain with a very athletic QB who beat them earlier this season!

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Wow Murphy looks like the fan favorite to come out of the West with Mt. Airy running a close 2nd. Most people agree that the Bulldogs will have the toughest road with North Stanly 3rd place in the votes. Very surprised that Swain County has yet to receive a single vote!

I think Swain has enjoyed being the underdog team this season. I believe they will be a hard out. They have as usual a massive line and a Qb that really knows how to run their offense. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds

I remember having to wait an extra week for the playoffs to start last year due to the flooding out east. That was a very looooooong 2 weeks!

Wow Murphy looks like the fan favorite to come out of the West with Mt. Airy running a close 2nd. Most people agree that the Bulldogs will have the toughest road with North Stanly 3rd place in the votes. Very surprised that Swain County has yet to receive a single vote!

Swain may surprise a lot of people... just depends on which Swain team shows up for the playoffs, the one that beat Murphy and Robbinsville or the one that lost to Cherokee. And depending on how the other games work out, Swain could be hosting 3 games out of 4, including the regional final... and it's hard to win in Bryson City if your name doesn't start with Swain. If we get that far, though, and Murphy does too, the 'Dogs will have revenge on their minds. Could be interesting.

OldMaroonDevil, I've said it before on the forum and I will say it again... Out of all the teams that we played in the SMC this year, y'all impressed me more than any team we played y'all impressed me more than any.
GO GET IT!

Reactions: OldMaroonDevil
Two questions for anyone who is familiar with North Stanly: 1) How does North Stanly compare to the Albemarle teams from say, 2009-2013? 2) They are 10-1, which is excellent, but is that a product of a weak schedule, or are they just "that" good? I have no idea about the strength of the YVC outside of WM, and stopped keeping up with it much when Albemarle went on their down swing.

This will be a good game that I plan to attend. The YVC was pretty good this year and North Stanly handle them all... WM looks like a 3rd rounder as well as North Rowan. Comparing them to past Albemarle teams is difficult, I’ve only heard people say they looked like the “Old Albemarle”.. Now I’ve seen Murphy play in the past and you guys don’t make to many mistakes and if North is on their A game, so be a good one.

But honestly I believe North wins...

Going on record after seeing the Pisgah/WC game, in which Pisgah outworked WC, and kind of nullified WC's athleticism, and knowing that Murphy handled Pisgah pretty good. The Western side of the 1aa playoffs may just be theirs to lose. Yep, I'm not afraid to back pedal when i see true proof of things. WC did dominate the MVAC including the EW Cardinals. I was just shocked to see WC speed not really be a true factor or advantage against Pisgah. It will take a 1aa team hitting on every cylinder to beat Murphy, and I'm basing it on seeing Pisgah beat a really good WC team last night. Styles do make fights though.

that’s 2 straight years WC has wrapped it up in the 1st round; just not a playoff team

Was there a point you were trying to make?

Its not always about speed..sometimes it's more about angles. Pisgah studied plenty of film on the Boles kid..and frankly he didnt perform nearly up to his usual standards Pisgah gang tackled him all night. It was clear that WC had a speed advantage at the skill positions..but not in physical toughness last night.

I did a little research on North this week. They handled most of the competition pretty easily and judging from the stats, it appears that as #20 goes, so goes North's offense. If the Dogs can slow him down I like their chances. North's D will have it's hands full with Murphy's deep stable of running backs, and then there's QB Joey Curry and Murphy's passing game to worry about as well. The Dogs played their best game of the year last week and shut down Cherokee on the road, handing the braves their first loss. Murphy appears to be peaking at the right time. If the game was at Murphy I would favor the Dogs by about two TDs, but it could be tricky on the road. If North hits a couple of big plays early or gets a couple of turnovers or makes a couple of plays on special teams, it could be interesting. Then there's penalties. You never know how they might affect a game.

Make no mistake about it, North Stanly has a Defense and really good athletes..I don’t think North can beat Albemarle’s 2009 team, but they’re probably on the level of the 2011 team y’all faced...I’ll be at this game for sure. Good Luck

Reactions: 4yds-cloud-dust
Its been about 5 years since Murphy has had to travel any long distance for a playoff game. I believe 2012 was the last time @ Albemarle.

Make no mistake about it, North Stanly has a Defense and really good athletes..I don’t think North can beat Albemarle’s 2009 team, but they’re probably on the level of the 2011 team y’all faced...I’ll be at this game for sure. Good Luck
Not that it matters, but talent wise this Murphy team is better than any of the Murphy teams that played Albemarle.

Well, I'm pulling for Murphy and Polk County just so the path to the West will go through Bryson City (if Swain beats Bessemer City, that is... nothing's a given this time of year.) I want to be sitting in the stands the night after Thanksgiving. Been too long since I've seen a game live. :)

Big games coming up in this 2nd rd. Everyone is pretty much a worthy opponent of each other in 1AA. As I always say, styles make fights. There will be no gimme's, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Can't judge by the Pisgah game. The whole mtn valley conf was weak this year. Starmount was most improved team and they gave East Surry all They wanted last night. I expect ES to take the cardinal crown come Fri night

East Surry should be added to this list or should have been on there. I just don't think East Wilkes will beat them. May be wrong ...

I think people are so sold on the two losses by EW that they are completely forgetting how dominant that offense can be when they're clicking and everyone is back from injuries. You guys do know that it was a month ago that EW put 50 on the Rams. Matter of fact a 50-7 thrashing..so keep sleeping on EW. Elkin is showing everyone that with their change of offense the last 5 or so games that they are one of the hottest teams going..Yep EW let a 25 pt lead melt away at the hands of the Elks..but Ew will still be a tough out for East Surry at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT