ADVERTISEMENT

1A West Regional Picks

Xman8balla

Oct 5, 2006
Charlotte NC
This year West regionals are at Wake Forest University Arena like the old days. These are the Teams I see making it there. Please feel free to post yours and add comment.

Albemarle , Winston Salem Prep , Starmount, Avery County depending on how they seed or matchup also can see Lincoln
Charter

Albemarle is my pick to go to States out of the West they have depth and play a nice style and pace on offense and they play defense the whole game. They have a good mix of upper classmen and young talent. With this maybe being the last year in the school history being open and fielding teams it would be a dream season to see them go all the way. I am pulling for them. Avery County team is a dark horse team I cant wait to see what they do in the playoffs.

The Hayesville boys were one of the early favorites this year then had a few slip ups and struggled. All along though the team has had the talent and ability they just needed time to gel and come together. I truly believe that they can go very far and have the ability to win a state championship, people thought that Cherokee had an off night when they played at Hayesville that was not the case in my opinion they are just that good when they are playing at their best.

What other teams do you think will make it to the regionals? Can Hayesville win on the road and do they have the bench depth to hang with the top teams? Can they shoot the ball well if teams go zone?

I think Hayesville, Starmount, Albemarle, and Winston Salem Prep granted that may not be possible because of seeding but I think they are the four best. Hayesville has grown a lot this year and played some really tough road/neutral site games teams like Broughton (#2 in 4a NC), Rabun Gap (a good prep school in GA), Johnson (#2 4a GA Undefeated) Cherokee,and an overtime win at Robbinsville so while they have lost several these were against elite competition mostly which were against schools that are in much higher classifications. They go about ten maybe eleven deep in which players get consistent playing time so they are using a large rotation which helps gets players rest and stay fresh as well there is much drop if any when they use even the tenth player in the rotation. Lastly to finish your last question I would say there biggest strength is shooting and probably have up to six players that can consistently hit threes teams would be dumb to zone them I think.

Good stuff i cant wait to see ill be sitting court side at the regions with ms king looking forward to seeing who makes it.

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
What other teams do you think will make it to the regionals? Can Hayesville win on the road and do they have the bench depth to hang with the top teams? Can they shoot the ball well if teams go zone?
Pretty good depth. Usually play about 10 guys, including freshman D-1 prospect PG as 6th man and a few other 6-4 kids off the bench to give depth in the post. And they can definitely shoot it. Hit 16 3's in a game against Hiwassee Dam few weeks ago, and hit 11 when they beat Cherokee.

They had a rocky start, partly due to a brutal schedule and partly, I think, because they were figuring themselves out on offense. But they've won 12 in a row now, and that stretch has included blowout wins that avenged 2 of their losses. So it looks like they're hitting their stride at the right time.

If the brackets end up looking like I think they will look, the bottom side of the bracket will be much tougher than the top part. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but the bottom side sounds scary.

Toughest teams in each part of the bracket (forecasted)

top side of the bracket would include 1. Albemarle 4. Lincoln Charter 5. East Montgomery 8. Hiwassee Dam 9. Cherokee

bottom side would include 2. starmount 3. Hayesville 6. Avery 7. WS Prep 10. Alleghany 11. Mt Airy 18. East Surry

The second round could include games between Alleghany and Prep, Mt Airy and Avery, East Surry and Starmount. After the 2nd round, there will likely be 3 teams gone that would have a reasonable chance of winning the top half.

Again I mean no disrespect to anyone, but the only team on the top half of the bracket that has a chance of winning the title is Albemarle, and to be honest, based on their schedule how do you even know about them.

Based on the above seedings, I offer you the following guesses.

In the top half Albemarle will continue a season of avoiding quality teams to reach a regional against Lincoln Charter.

In the bottom Half. After East Surry upsets Starmount and Alleghany surprises prep, Alleghany beats East Surry to make the regional. And Avery County beats Hayesville in a nail biter to set up a regional rematch from last year.

If the brackets end up different than I projected I reserve the right to change my mind, but based on what I think the brackets will look like, these are my picks.

Based on my screen name, obviously I am biased, but I think there is a legitimate chance that this happens.

If like our chances if that bracket holds up .., third round trip to albemarle stands in the way of cherokee and regionals ...

Observeandreport I think that good shooting teams will do well this year come playoffs a lot of teams playing zone this year. The rims and floor is way better at Wake Forest arena. The year we won states at Olympic we had to attack the rim those rims in Greensboro were tough to shoot on our shooters manage though.

the NW 1A teams will be more than prepared for the playoffs.....MA, Prep and East Surry could all be playing in sectional finals and if Bishop could get healthy they could be in the mix.... Gonna be interesting next week....

I want to see if Cherokee can get back the hot streak they had early in the season. One thing I have learned about the playoffs is you can throughout records and what you did in the regular season doesn't matter. On any give night if you don't show up to play you will get beat. I see top seeds lose all the time in the first or second round.

One game we was way off ... The other had terrible foul trouble ..... Be our luck to go to third round and have buck come to albemarle and call 20 more fouls against us .... He is the most biased refs I have ever seen.... Ask anyone in the smc ...

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
Observeandreport I think that good shooting teams will do well this year come playoffs a lot of teams playing zone this year. The rims and floor is way better at Wake Forest arena. The year we won states at Olympic we had to attack the rim those rims in Greensboro were tough to shoot on our shooters manage though.
Greensboro wasn't bad for 1A because it was in Fleming Gym on the UNCG campus. But yeh, it would have been miserable for you guys in the bigger classes that had to play in the Greensboro Coliseum Annex. Terrible basketball venue. Not sure what the setup will be back in Winston this year, but the last time regionals were in Winston you kind of had the same situation...one venue (Joel) that was good for shooting teams and one (Joel Annex) that was not.

You think Cherokee can come into albemarle and win? Keep in mind albemarle went through the northwest last year and lost to prep. And they are better this year.

Originally posted by bulldog nation2014:
You think Cherokee can come into albemarle and win? Keep in mind albemarle went through the northwest last year and lost to prep. And they are better this year.
Cherokee is interesting. Remind me of the steve nash suns from back in the day. Undersized but quick with a dynamic point guard and some great shooters to push the pace and keep the pressure on you. They're a team that can be very dangerous depending on how well they are shooting the ball.

I tell you someone you better watch out for is rosman ... They play no defense but if they get hot they will shoot you out the gym. Sub 5 in 5 out every 2 min ..... Looks like they shot more than 30 3s against us ..

Any team that has the confidence to launch 30 3's in a game is dangerous. Last year when albemarle girls played MA, they(MA) shot 12/24 from 3 and it changed the game. So yes if a team gets hot like that it can definitely swing it.

"Went through the Northwest"?

Come on now bulldog. They got to regionals which was a great accomplishment, but let's not pretend like they didn't need a banked in 3 from the corner (statistically the most difficult shot in the sport) just to get out of the second round against Bishop.

LOL now Dave a win is a win :). And I'm sure he practiced that shot in practice plenty of times.

And you can't say that but your girls hit 12 3's on 50%. How many times has a girls team hit 12 3's on 50% from the floor lol. I bet the banked 3 has happened more often lol.

And Bishop needed a half court Heeve to win state. (Girls)

Albemarle beat MA, Beat Bishop, lost to prep. Wasn't exactly a cake walk was my point. It wasn't a knock on those teams at all.

Xman8balla...I do think Avery may get to regionals...I overlooked them and that was stupid...they have a solid team...so take it back...Avery, Albemarle, Alleghany, Lincoln Charter....I have seen all of these teams play this year and they are all worthy teams to win it all. Avery is deep and they have some nice players. They are athletic but not all can shoot the ball great.. They play solid defense as well. Albemarle is very fast an athletic. They try to go deep but there is a drop off when they go to bench personnel. But they are good and on a roll right now. Alleghany plays tough. They have the big boys who bang down low and have a shooter capable of putting in numbers on any given night. Plus, they are a veteran team that is hungry to make it back. Anytime you play defense like they do you are going to be successful. Lincoln Charter can simply go. They are young but very skilled. They shoot the ball all over the place plus have size on defense. Their PG is one of the best around but I saw them play Cherryville and they hit 14 3's. I also saw them beat a Comenius team that is as good as any 4a team and beat private school New Hope so they are tested. But they play solid defense as well. That is my regionals and I'm sticking to it. Good luck to all

Trojan so you think prep will get beat prior to regionals? I haven't see prep play but you have interesting pick. I have trouble betting against a 2x state champ just like on the girls side I have a problem betting against Bishop as a 9x state champ. Doesn't mean it can't be done or won't be.

So much of basketball is matchup based and situational that picking like this before the brackets comes out makes for good conversation but is kind of meaningless.

LOL!! You are right. Some of these teams mention may face each other before the Regionals.

Just to make sure we are correct MA Girls were 12 for 27 from the 3 land. These stats are via Max Preps.
My questions is who will be the four girls teams that make it to Winston?
My Guess WS Prep, Atkins, Hayesville and West Montogmery

unless I am wrong about my bracket projections Prep and Starmount both will not make it. Prep will be a 7 and starmount will be a 2 so they would play each other before the regional.

Besides whoever the Little Smoky representative is, which of the top 8-9 seeds are most likely to get upset in the first two rounds?

On the girls side:

Top section - Cherokee or Bishop (unless HD wins the flip and gets the 1 then either of the 3 could make it).

2nd section - hayesville or Albemarle (don't discount Albemarle just yet if these two meet in the second rd it will be a battle)

3rd section - Prep

4th section - Atkins or MA ( if HD is in this section just from what I have heard they could be in mix.)

The one seed will come down to a coin flip between West Mont and HD

4,5,6 is a 3 way tie between Hayesville, Gray Stone, and Comm school of Davidson

*** girls bball fan lmao sorry off 3 shots lmao way to be cool though lmao point still the same. As I can see you didn't have anything about that just wanted to say something maybe because nobody pays attention to you I don't know. Here is the point I was making:

When a team has the ability to make a bunch of 3's it can change the game. Even at 12/27 that's pretty close to 50%. Teams that are good 3pt shooting teams are tough especially the ones willing to shoot 30 3's a game as when you hit 12 in a game it can really change the game.

Avery County is tough! Probably could play in a 4A league and win consistently. And they do it with a boundary because of a tremendous coach and dedicated players. They will definitely be one of the regional finalist unless they end up playing Prep.

Bulldog just want to make sure that you were getting the information correct. That MA team made 9 three pointers or more in 10 different games that season so it was a big part of their game just want to make sure your information was correct. I would say that team would have beat the bulldogs 7 out of 10 games.
It will be interesting to see who comes out of the West and if the teams get a chance to play and practice this week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT