ADVERTISEMENT

1A-Teams Struggling with low numbers

Wow71

Jul 5, 2015
Anyone having low numbers in spring ball and workouts going into 2017 season? Thoughts on S Davidson and N Stokes fielding a team this year, since they didn't finish last years regular season out.
What needs to happen at a school struggling that bad to get kids out? If being small in enrollment was a major factor, then why do the SMC teams field solid Varsity teams and a JV with 200-400 kids in the entire school?

What needs to happen at a school struggling that bad to get kids out? If being small in enrollment was a major factor, then why do the SMC teams field solid Varsity teams and a JV with 200-400 kids in the entire school?
Well a big part of the reason that SMC teams can field JV teams is because their JV teams are 8th and 9th graders (even some 7th graders). But yes, even at the 10th, 11th and 12th grade levels there's better participation in the SMC than at many of the schools with similar enrollment numbers.

It's a cultural thing, the SMC is made up of small towns where high school football is king on Friday nights. The tradition of winning at Murphy, Swain and Robbinsville will also give those schools a numbers boost over many of their peers.

Anyone having low numbers in spring ball and workouts going into 2017 season? Thoughts on S Davidson and N Stokes fielding a team this year, since they didn't finish last years regular season out.

I think a reason for the low turnouts are based on players that are in multiple spring sports, especially in the 1A classifications. I know we had kids playing baseball, track and lacrosse, which decreased our numbers tremendously. Also a lot of kids don't seem to see the value in spring workouts. Due to them being voluntary, a lot of kids choose to opt out. In some of the more successful programs kids strive to be at each and every single workout. I know we are trying to change that culture at Bishop McGuinness from a football stand point and hopefully we are able to get the numbers back up to where they use to be in past seasons. Coach Jones left us with a great foundation and we need to build off that.

Reactions: Wow71
Saw this on another board:

North Stokes head football coach Mitch Reeves has stepped down to accept a coaching and teaching job at Walkertown. He'll be a good addition at Walkertown where he reunites with another fellow Starmount alum Josh Pardue.

It's always tough to see an already struggling program lose a coach this late in the year, but in this situation I don't blame Reeves a bit for the move.

Saw this on another board:

North Stokes head football coach Mitch Reeves has stepped down to accept a coaching and teaching job at Walkertown. He'll be a good addition at Walkertown where he reunites with another fellow Starmount alum Josh Pardue.

It's always tough to see an already struggling program lose a coach this late in the year, but in this situation I don't blame Reeves a bit for the move.
Wow, this will definitely set them back, but I will bet he gets a bump in pay even as an Assistant.

The early college is a different campus so no need to count those kids.. Kids from Andrews and Hayesville also attend the EC.

Murphy has 500 not counting the EC kids.
The early college draws kids from Murphy, Andrews, Hiwassee Dam and Hayesville. They have their own campus and their own sports teams. Has absolutely nothing to do with Murphy High, just like it is nothing to do with Andrews or Hayesville High, get over it already.

Last edited:
Well a big part of the reason that SMC teams can field JV teams is because their JV teams are 8th and 9th graders (even some 7th graders). But yes, even at the 10th, 11th and 12th grade levels there's better participation in the SMC than at many of the schools with similar enrollment numbers.

It's a cultural thing, the SMC is made up of small towns where high school football is king on Friday nights. The tradition of winning at Murphy, Swain and Robbinsville will also give those schools a numbers boost over many of their peers.
With the SMC JV teams having a mix of Jr. Hi. and high school grades, do they play the JV schedule or a Jr. Hi. schedule?

Can you imagine how the charters and privates would dominate a 8 man football league!!!!????

Can you imagine how the charters and privates would dominate a 8 man football league!!!!????

For several years now there has been a private Christian school playing in Kernersville. They play at Kernersville Elementary where the Pop Warner team plays.

I think it would be hard to have a decent schedule if the school did not play standard eleven.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT