ADVERTISEMENT

1A Matchups

Tarboro has been hanging 60/70 on "P" teams so long it's hard to remember which took the worst whooping. I can guarantee one thing I'm right about....Once Tarboro goes back to 2A yall can whine about other 1A opponents yall might ACTUALLY have a chance to beat. It's a silly debate anyway. What difference does it make if they win by 3 tds or 5? Yall are big losers against Tarboro either way. Lol
Keyboard Macho Man. Keep guaranteeing what you don't know. Always catches up with you.

Keyboard Macho Man. Keep guaranteeing what you don't know. Always catches up with you.
And keep assuming how bad you would lose. Calling names because of someone's opinion really proves your point.

Last edited:
Well, it would be kinda hard to have those two teams meet in Greensboro now...you know, since it’s summer time and both schools have had their graduations. Neither team would be the same now. But anyway....

Murphy dropped 60 plus on Pamlico without even having their starting RB available for the game, and could have scored 80 plus easily had they not called off the dogs. Your post has zero logic.
First of all I never said during summertime so adjust your eyes when your reading a post. I’m so tired of hearing about Murphy didn’t have their star RB I mean is he D1 material and all that because I haven’t hear anyone being recruited up there to play any collegiate sport especially football. I can assure you some of Tarboro’s worst teams could roll some of Murphy’s best! Bank on it

First of all I never said during summertime so adjust your eyes when your reading a post. I’m so tired of hearing about Murphy didn’t have their star RB I mean is he D1 material and all that because I haven’t hear anyone being recruited up there to play any collegiate sport especially football. I can assure you some of Tarboro’s worst teams could roll some of Murphy’s best! Bank on it

Read the post again. He said starting running back not star. Murphy had a really good group of running backs and their strength as a unit was that each had a unique skill set. He would of helped the offense but was really missed on defense. He was a very good linebacker. You want to talk D1, maybe we don't have many D1 recruits but we win a lot of games by producing good TEAMS.

Reactions: BK13T-$
because I haven’t hear anyone being recruited up there to play any collegiate sport especially football.
For the record Murphy has multiple D1 athletes walking the halls right now. A rising junior softball player committed to UNC, a rising sophomore girl's basketball player that will be one of, if not the best player in 1A this year and will play D1 somewhere and oh yeah one of the highest rated football recruits in 1A/1AA in the last 20 years.

The kid who took the snaps (most people call that person the QB, but what do I know???) against Murphy did not play against Tarboro. He was far and away Pamlico’s best weapon. As for the rest of your post (or whatever the hell it was), first off, Murphy has a 2a title (1974) to go along with eight 1a titles, and finally, “clueless” is saying stupid things like Tarboro’s second string would be favored over Murphy. It never ceases to amaze me the level of intelligence (or lack thereof) of some posters on here.
Let's remember who is defending how much their team would lose by before we get into someones intelligence. I'm not going to insult your intelligence again and tell you what that makes you look like.

Thank you for the correction. Ever since they have been called Washington county. I sometimes get them confused with the Washington Pam pac which is 2A but two totally different programs.

It is easy to get the two confused. Now there is Charlotte’s Vance High and Vance County High.
Hard to avoid the name for the two new schools though.

The one that I don’t understand is why there is a second Riverside High School. Durham had it first. No reason to make that confusing.

Reactions: bud33345
I kind of laugh at this whole thread devolving into Tarboro/Murphy. Tarboro is a school with a ton of football tradition. Murphy is a school with a ton of football tradition. They have never played each other and they have never had more than one common opponent in any given year. As a Tarboro fan, I expect to see the Vikings win. I'm sure with their track record, the Murphy fans expect the same. A reference for Tarboro fans, these are not a bunch of North Stanly fans showing up 6 days before the game with chests puffed out talking about their D1 caliber team only to disappearing forever after getting totally outclassed. Murphy has been doing this football excellence thing as long as Tarboro has. This will not go away until they matchup in a playoff game one day. Of course, there are the trolls that accuse Murphy of skewing ADM numbers to avoid being in 1AA which I am sure pisses them off. There are also trolls that accuse Tarboro of moving kids around so the Vikings can play down. Seriously? We are both good programs! Both have put in the time, the work, the sweat and have the hardware to back it up. You can have some fun with it, but there's no need to continuously keep trolling each other. When the day comes these teams play, it should be quite a show.

The issue was never about who would win or lose. We both agree on who would win. The issue is with you making moronic posts about how Tarboro could trot out their back ups and blow Murphy out. I say a Murphy/Tarboro matchup would be a competitive game with about a two TD difference. What you said is just plain dumb, and you are indeed dumb, if you truly believe what you posted.
Nope I said it would be competitive with the second string and that Tarboro would still be favored to win. The same second string that is favored to see the 1AA championship game this year.

Last edited:
I kind of laugh at this whole thread devolving into Tarboro/Murphy. Tarboro is a school with a ton of football tradition. Murphy is a school with a ton of football tradition. They have never played each other and they have never had more than one common opponent in any given year. As a Tarboro fan, I expect to see the Vikings win. I'm sure with their track record, the Murphy fans expect the same. A reference for Tarboro fans, these are not a bunch of North Stanly fans showing up 6 days before the game with chests puffed out talking about their D1 caliber team only to disappearing forever after getting totally outclassed. Murphy has been doing this football excellence thing as long as Tarboro has. This will not go away until they matchup in a playoff game one day. Of course, there are the trolls that accuse Murphy of skewing ADM numbers to avoid being in 1AA which I am sure pisses them off. There are also trolls that accuse Tarboro of moving kids around so the Vikings can play down. Seriously? We are both good programs! Both have put in the time, the work, the sweat and have the hardware to back it up. You can have some fun with it, but there's no need to continuously keep trolling each other. When the day comes these teams play, it should be quite a show.
I agree with this. One major difference, Tarboro has won multiple championships in 3 different classifications matched by no other school. The closest to that would be Charlotte Catholic if they made a push to 4A.

Quality post. Agree.

I agree with this. One major difference, Tarboro has won multiple championships in 3 different classifications matched by no other school. The closest to that would be Charlotte Catholic if they made a push to 4A.
Charlotte Catholic won the 4A championship back in 2015.

Nope I said it would be competitive with the second string and that Tarboro would still be favored to win. The same second string that is favored to see the 1AA championship game this year.

Well I still totally disagree lol. Nobody’s second string would beat or be favored to beat Murphy last season. Of course I’m talking about nobody in 1a or 1aa. There might be some bigger schools that could pull it off. For you to even suggest something as ridiculous as that is total and complete disrespect to a proud program like Murphy, which has a long, rich, winning tradition.

OK, lets back up. There isn't any disrespect intended toward Murphy or anyone. What bud was saying is with last years's large graduating class, last year's backups are essentially this year's starters and they are still expected to win it all. Tarboro has so much depth. The postseason roster last year had 55 players, I think. Tarboro just has so much depth compared to other 1A schools. How many schools at 1A can field 77 players from grade 9-12? Roughly 1 in every 4 boys at Tarboro High plays football.

Then there's the playing time you get as a 2nd string player at Tarboro. The starters rarely play beyond the 2nd quarter. The 2nd string gets more work throughout the year against the opponent's 1st string. Even the JV call ups last year were getting snaps against playoff caliber teams in the 4th quarter.

Again, its not meant to be insulting to anyone. Tarboro kids grow up playing Pee Wee ball wanting to be state champions at Tarboro. Their fathers played for Tarboro. Their uncles played for Tarboro. Their brothers. Their cousins. Their friends. Its the Tarboro way.

Charlotte Catholic won the 4A championship back in 2015.
Yes. But my case for Tarboro is they won MULTIPLE titles in 3 different divisions. For catholic to win MULTIPLE titles in 3 divisions they would need to jump to 4A and win another title was my point. Catholic is the closest to doing this with Tarboro.

Nobody in 1A is going to beat Tarboro
With them playing by the rules as they are now, the state might as well just send them the trophy. They have more of an advantage in the adms than we do

Well I still totally disagree lol. Nobody’s second string would beat or be favored to beat Murphy last season. Of course I’m talking about nobody in 1a or 1aa. There might be some bigger schools that could pull it off. For you to even suggest something as ridiculous as that is total and complete disrespect to a proud program like Murphy, which has a long, rich, winning tradition.
I'm not disrespectful of Murphy's program. They are are an all time great 1A program. Tarboro should be a 2A if not for the charter. Just like Wallace Rose Hill, SW Onslow, James Kenan, who have won championships in 1A and are now 2A. Tarboro should be vying in the 2A east with these teams year end year out. Just like they were winning championships in 2A before the charter.

Nobody in 1A is going to beat Tarboro
With them playing by the rules as they are now, the state might as well just send them the trophy. They have more of an advantage in the adms than we do
I'm in total agreement here. Have a like sir.

Murphy would be in the 1aa if not for the EC the same goes for Mitchell. That’s why I say we have an advantage, if everyone plays where they should, that would put Robbinsville back in the drivers seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
Coastal Plains
Northside is only entering its 20th season.
South Creek is entering its 10th season.
Southside was built in 2000.
Riverside was Williamston High School until merging with Jamesville in 2010, so that program is only entering its 10th seasons. As Williamston High School, they won state championships.
No need to even waste time comparing the two conferences. 4 of the 7 schools in the CPC don't even have any tradition yet, whereas each school in the SMC is 50 years old or more. It's an unfair pissing match.

1. Jones senior zero titles / enrollment 310
2. North side zero titles / enrollment 404
3. Pamlico zero titles / enrollment 448
4. Riverside Martin zero titles / enrollment 524
5. South Creek zero titles / enrollment 245
6. Southside zero titles / enrollment 411
7. Tarboro ,2017,2018 1aa state champs
2011,2010,2009, 2a state champs
1984,1965 3a state champs
Enrollment 557
Conference enrollment 2,899
Titles 7 from 1 team.
only a few of those titles was won in this conference

1. Andrew 1967,1966,1964,1963,1958 1a state champs /enrollment 209
2. Rosman zero titles /enrollment 343
3. Hayesville zero titles / 370
4. Murphy 2018,2016,2013,2011,1996,1991,1987,1986 1a state champs
1974 2a state champs / enrollment 470
5, Cherokee 2017 1a state Champs / enrollment 324
6. Robbinsville 2014, 1992, 1983,1982,1981,1980,1979,1977,1976,1974,1973,1970,1969,1965
/ enrollment 362
7. Swain 2011 1aa state champs
2004,2001,1990,1989,1988,1985 1a state champs
1979 2a state champs /enrollment 550
2,628 conference enrollment.
Titles 37 from 5 teams.
All titles were won in the smc.

Last edited:
Yes. But my case for Tarboro is they won MULTIPLE titles in 3 different divisions. For catholic to win MULTIPLE titles in 3 divisions they would need to jump to 4A and win another title was my point. Catholic is the closest to doing this with Tarboro.
Tarboro only has one state championship at 3A (1984)

Coastal Plains
Riverside was Williamston High School until merging with Jamesville in 2010, so that program is only entering its 10th seasons. As Williamston High School, they won state championships.
No need to even waste time comparing the two conferences. 4 of the 7 schools in the CPC don't even have any tradition yet, whereas each school in the SMC is 50 years old or more. It's an unfair pissing match.

You right. It is unfair.

I'm not disrespectful of Murphy's program. They are are an all time great 1A program. Tarboro should be a 2A if not for the charter. Just like Wallace Rose Hill, SW Onslow, James Kenan, who have won championships in 1A and are now 2A. Tarboro should be vying in the 2A east with these teams year end year out. Just like they were winning championships in 2A before the charter.
There are two new manufacturing facilities being built on US-64 about 7 miles outside of Tarboro which projects roughly 1000 new jobs in the next five years. There is hope that ADMs in the county could increase in the coming years. The economy in Edgecombe County was utterly decimated when Sprint bought Carolina Tel and textiles moved across the border after the NAFTA deal. The region has struggled for years and its great that jobs are coming back.

Reactions: Crimson jacket 1991
Coastal Plains
Northside was created after Beaufort County schools consolidated Bath and Belhaven. Southside was a consolidation of Chocowinity and Aurora. South Creek and Riverside are essentially Roanoke and Williamston High after the consolidations in Martin County. One of my best friends graduated from Williamston High School. The Williamston Tigers had a pretty strong athletic program. All that history is lost in time now.

Reactions: SWE'98
There are two new manufacturing facilities being built on US-64 about 7 miles outside of Tarboro which projects roughly 1000 new jobs in the next five years. There is hope that ADMs in the county could increase in the coming years. The economy in Edgecombe County was utterly decimated when Sprint bought Carolina Tel and textiles moved across the border after the NAFTA deal. The region has struggled for years and its great that jobs are coming back.
Hopefully, most of those may become Nash residents. Although that would be the simple solution if Tarboro can see a bump in adm. I would like to think come this next relignment NCSHAA has a better grasp of what the charters do to adm numbers when those charters dont have football.

74 was a state title for 1a.
1a was playing for state titles in the late 60s. Other classifications didnt start until later.

Im not sure if 2a was legit in 74 but 1a was 4 sure. I think 68 1a started back.

Im not sure if 2a was legit in 74 but 1a was 4 sure. I think 68 1a started back.
Murphy's 2A title in 1974 is a state title. Murphy has another 2A title in 1970 but it's a western regional title as they didn't have 2A state title games from '61 thru '71.

1974 was a legit state championship though.
Wait a minute... Tarboro 1 and Graham 2 are the champions in each region in 3A that year. It's just a different way of being 3A and 3AA. The lower classifications 1A/2A had four regional champions and are not considered state champs extraordinaire. 3A and 4A still had the 2 regional distinction just like 1A and 1AA today. The lower classifications (1A-2A) schools were regional. The 4 teams listed as "state champs" in 1A and 2A doesnt have the legitimacy as a state champ for that reason. I gotta disagree here the 3A in those days is just as legit as any 3A or 3AA title under the circumstances of the time period.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT