ADVERTISEMENT

1A Girls

Girls bball Fan- you are correct. Yes Mt. Airy is the one team that probably shot fine from the free throw line because I don't remember them missing free throws that game and they probably should not have tried to stall the last few minutes. Mt. Airy had more talent that year. Yes you are right that McGuinness has had a LOT of luck along the way. You don't win championships without some. But E. Surry, Tville, River Mill, Chatham Central, WS Prep and one more team I can't remember name...all would have knocked McGuinness out of the playoffs if not for one night of horrific free throw shooting that was uncharacteristic. And that indeed involves some luck. So I don't disagree with you at all.

You are right Dosso. Coach Mayo got burned the previous year at River Mill by not trying to hold the ball and they missed some normal shots and River Mill came back and beat them. Against Bishop in playoffs he thought that would not happen again so he goes into a stall early in 4th qrtr and blew the game again. Way too early, Bishop just sat back and played good def and created several turnovers and came back to win. Mayo got out coached in playoffs regularly. If Mt Airy had Coach Hayes or even Coach Smith from ES they would have won a couple of Championships. Those two could coach

Originally posted by sbbbfan:

You are right Dosso. Coach Mayo got burned the previous year at River Mill by not trying to hold the ball and they missed some normal shots and River Mill came back and beat them. Against Bishop in playoffs he thought that would not happen again so he goes into a stall early in 4th qrtr and blew the game again. Way too early, Bishop just sat back and played good def and created several turnovers and came back to win. Mayo got out coached in playoffs regularly. If Mt Airy had Coach Hayes or even Coach Smith from ES they would have won a couple of Championships. Those two could coach
Very true! Cpach Hayes would have done the job.

Coach Mayo's teams play hard, they win, and they represent Mt. Airy High School with class. I would think he deserves better.

They have found a way to win with the talent they have and no heigth. Could play better on def. Mayo has improved a ton since coming to MA but got a long way to go to compare to Hayes or Smith. With those two you never knew what def you were going to look at when you came down the floor and that double line stall that Smith ran was very effective and frustrated everyone. When playing them you hoped you had a lead late and didnt have to see it
This post was edited on 3/25 3:43 PM by sbbbfan

I have no idea on the other coaches but will take your word for it, but having watched Mt. Airy girls teams over the past several years especially this year, I think they are very well coached. They execute quite well. This year they were competitive despite being smaller than most every team they played. I just don't see how one can watch the MA girls and not think they are very well coached. I think that may have been a tactical mistake that one game but I still think he is a really good coach.

As a Bishop fan who watched Coach Mayo's teams beat Bishop 7 times in a 10 game stretch hard for me to believe that anyone would remotely question his coaching ability.

Ok didn't mean to start a discussion you are odviously going to disagree with me. I have seen all three coach and the results they produced. Not saying he is a bad coach just saying impo the other two were on a level above him. We will see what he does next year after all these seniors are gone. Defense will have to improve.

"We came out the first possession and we got two offensive rebounds
before we knocked down an open 3 to tie it up," Mayo said. "We knew we
could continue to run, which was evident in the second half. They became
fatigued and we continued to run. We had a bunch of scoring
opportunities by a bunch of people." from Coach Mayo

FYI Albemarle's girls varsity team was far from tired in this game. Mt. Airy did not get the lead until the PG picked up her 4th and had to sit the bench with 3 min to go in the 3rd quarter. But thats ok Albemarle will be returning everybody except Akela who will be playing for Wingate University next year. Plus they will have one of their better guards at 100% ater being out a year I am confident they will be back. However, fatigued they were not. See you all in 2014-2015.

Why are we talking about Albermarle? They will be a good team next year I sure. Coach Davis is doing a good job. They need to player tougher competition to get ready for the play-offs in my opinion. Maybe they can scrimmage or play one of the schools in the Northwest

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT