ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball 1A & 2A Baseball Playoff Standings as of Apr. 24

I have a question about the 1a? Why is union going to be the 5 seed in the mid east instead of the 4 in the east? Putting them east would make 4 conference "champions" on each side? instead of 5 and 3? Would it be the same for WRH? Just trying to get some clarification. Thanks
It is all about geography, longitude. After 64 are picked listed in order of longitude from East to West. Then divided into 4 regions of 16 teams. Strictly by the longitudinal coordinate, no consideration for how many #1s end up in a single region.

Did East Wilkes win their conference tournament? All I can find is that they are in the finals against Wilkes Central.

WOW Yeah that'll move things around a little bit. The West was looking a little weaker than the MidWest so that might beef it up a little.

Ok I have mentioned on occasion my problems with new pod system for playoffs which have resulted in Eastern Randolph traveling all across the Tarheel state this year.

Well in tarheelg's latest projections it baffles me that ER which finished as co-champions of PAC6 regular season could receive a #9 seed and travel, in his latest scenario, over 2 1/2 hours for a 1st round game against a team with a worse reporting record that sits currently 3rd in their conference standings.

Now in the past proponents of the new system have extolled its virtues to me whenever I brought up its shortcomings. They like that all teams go into wild cards after 1st and a few 2nd tier seeds.

Well in ER's case, and again I know it could change, they finished 9-1 in conference 15-8 overall while the team they would TRAVEL to is currently 5-4 in conference 13-10 overall with a game left to play?

I know if ER wins 1 more game against Randleman they stay home at least in 1st round but even in that scenario they were a #5 seed and if seeds held would have been on road in 2nd round.

Did I mention they tied for regular season with Randleman at 9-1?

Ok I have mentioned on occasion my problems with new pod system for playoffs which have resulted in Eastern Randolph traveling all across the Tarheel state this year.

Well in tarheelg's latest projections it baffles me that ER which finished as co-champions of PAC6 regular season could receive a #9 seed and travel, in his latest scenario, over 2 1/2 hours for a 1st round game against a team with a worse reporting record that sits currently 3rd in their conference standings.

Now in the past proponents of the new system have extolled its virtues to me whenever I brought up its shortcomings. They like that all teams go into wild cards after 1st and a few 2nd tier seeds.

Well in ER's case, and again I know it could change, they finished 9-1 in conference 15-8 overall while the team they would TRAVEL to is currently 5-4 in conference 13-10 overall with a game left to play?

I know if ER wins 1 more game against Randleman they stay home at least in 1st round but even in that scenario they were a #5 seed and if seeds held would have been on road in 2nd round.

Did I mention they tied for regular season with Randleman at 9-1?
Is your potential opponent in a split conference?

WOW Yeah that'll move things around a little bit. The West was looking a little weaker than the MidWest so that might beef it up a little.
How would adding a team with an 8-16 record beef up the West? If anything, it could make the Midwest even stronger by potentially shifting a team like Mt.Airy (12-9) back to Midwest.

Beef up wasn't the best term. It adds another team to the West pod. Not sure that it would move someone from the midwest to the west though. It's all based on longitude and E Wilkes is fairly West. I just means that the loaded bottom of the East bracket may get shifted to the mideast. Also, a team that was barely in with a .350 winning% is now out.

Is your potential opponent in a split conference?
No sir. But as things stand in projections their record in the wild cards gives them an 8 seed in east while ER would get a 9 in mideast.

Sad. Like I said in beginning comes down to non-conference strength of schedule and how you fare against those teams as to where you get seeded if you don't win conference. Now I do not know how tough this team's schedule is but if you break it down just by classifications and compare with ER's that is where I find fault with the new playoff system.

This east team played 14 non-conference games:

2 against 3A
7 against 2A
5 against 1A

Non con record 8-6.

5-4 in 2A conference with 1 left to play.

Eastern Randolph played 11 non-conference games

5 against 4A
4 Against 3A
2 against 1A

Non con record 5-6

9-1 in conference regular season

1-1 in tournament.

And if you want to go by that idiotic Maxpreps rankings ER is currently 15th in 2A while east team is 45th.

New system will encourage scheduling down if left in place so you can play at home in playoffs no matter what the sport.

Does that make teams better?

I also realize right now these are only projections but allowed me to get on my soapbox.

Last edited:
Other big shakeups for the West - Cherryville falls to Pine Lake Prep in the tournament semifinals, paving the way for Lincoln Charter to gain the #1 seed from the conference. If I've looked at it correctly, Cherryville and Lincoln Charter split during the regular season and both finished 14-2 in conference. With LC advancing to the tournament finals, they should earn the #1 from their conference by default (since Cherryville went out earlier and LC advanced further).

Those same links posted above should still work....i had been updating every few days and sometimes reminding folks on twitter (@tarheel61581) and facebook but forgot to comment here for a while....I know i could be wrong but i've taken a Colossians 3:23-24 approach over the last few days (and weeks actually) to trying to dot the is and cross the ts and double check and triple check things

4A Projections before they come out in the next few hours.

The number to the left of the team is their overall seed in the region. The number in parenthesis is their "pod" seed (West, Midwest, Mideast, East)

Last 4 in: Davie, High Point Central, South View, Mallard Creek

First 4 out: Person, Riverside, Cary, Independence

West/East line: Southeast Guilford/Scotland

4A West

1 TC Roberson (1W)
30 Grimsley (16MW)

18 Richmond (8MW)
15 Alexander Central (9W)

7 Hough (5W)
25 Glenn (12MW)

10 North Davidson (4MW)
24 McDowell (13W)