#1 Mount Airy (14-0) vs. #1 Tarboro (14-0)

Finish Strong2

Oct 23, 2017
Let me say this in regards to the roster size of Mt. Airy. While it does help to have depth when you have players going both ways let’s rewind the clock and debunk the myth about needing a larger team. The 1984 Tarboro Vikings had to go play at Kannapolis Brown at Kannapolis brown for the 3A State championship before they started playing at college venues. Kannapolis was ranked in the country that year and came out onto the field with 100 or more players. The band had just as many. Tarboro entered the field looking like they didn’t have a chance with the small roster size they had and you know what happened Kannapolis Brown didn’t even get a first down that game and Tarboro was victorious over a much larger foe. So to say Mt Airys roster hurt them is debunked!

w.wolf15

Dec 4, 2017
So stating one exception in a 30 year time frame is now the rule. I'm sure you can state a few more exceptions, but numbers matter. With all else being equal, give me numbers year in and year out.

Reactions: BK13T-$

FridayNiteLights1217

Oct 2, 2007
Let me say this in regards to the roster size of Mt. Airy. While it does help to have depth when you have players going both ways let’s rewind the clock and debunk the myth about needing a larger team. The 1984 Tarboro Vikings had to go play at Kannapolis Brown at Kannapolis brown for the 3A State championship before they started playing at college venues. Kannapolis was ranked in the country that year and came out onto the field with 100 or more players. The band had just as many. Tarboro entered the field looking like they didn’t have a chance with the small roster size they had and you know what happened Kannapolis Brown didn’t even get a first down that game and Tarboro was victorious over a much larger foe. So to say Mt Airys roster hurt them is debunked!
What was both teams win lose record going into into that 1984 game.Also how many players did Tarboro field . What % was Kannapolis JVs that had not played varsity that year, same for Tarboro. Post website source for this Infro please ...Was Tarboro 3A and how many players did the have on the field that night and how pany players did each team have going both ways ? I am sure Tarboro had far less with 58 players going both ways Saturday then Mount Airy with 37 had both ways. Bears QB even webt both ways and even hurt and kept play late in the 4the Qtr.Others may have questions on your post. I am sure they're is more I missed.

Last edited:

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
Kannapolis was the almighty Powerhouse in 1984 was rank number and undefeated in the State that year. They had all American FB Tracy Johnson and RB James Lott both went on to play for Danny Ford at Clemson. I am sure their is alot more on the roster. Kannapolis was favored, but lost 20-0 to Tarboro. Kannapolis had a total of 32 Yards of offense 1 yard passing and No first downs. Kannapolis people tell me that was the worse game ever to watch at Kannapolis. I believe Tarboro had only 1 lost that year and they had a player named Donald Frank that played in the NFL.

FridayNiteLights1217

Oct 2, 2007
Kannapolis was the almighty Powerhouse in 1984 was rank number and undefeated in the State that year. They had all American FB Tracy Johnson and RB James Lott both went on to play for Danny Ford at Clemson. I am sure their is alot more on the roster. Kannapolis was favored, but lost 20-0 to Tarboro. Kannapolis had a total of 32 Yards of offense 1 yard passing and No first downs. Kannapolis people tell me that was the worse game ever to watch at Kannapolis. I believe Tarboro had only 1 lost that year and they had a player named Donald Frank that played in the NFL.
Was Tarboro 3A ,what were the ranked and # of players and was it a playoff game.

Last edited:

mactazheels

Oct 21, 2005
Was Tarboro 3A ,what were the ranked and # of players and was it a playoff game.

Here is Tarboro schedule in 1984.

Fri Aug 31 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) L 3-9
Fri Sep 07 Rocky Mount (Rocky Mount, NC) W 15-14
Fri Sep 14 Ahoskie (Ahoskie, NC) Conference W 21-0
Fri Sep 21 Bertie (Windsor, NC) Conference W 40-0
Fri Oct 05 Williamston (Williamston, NC) Conference W 53-12
Fri Oct 12 Roanoke Rapids (Roanoke Rapids, NC) Conference W 42-0
Fri Oct 19 Roanoke (Robersonville, NC) Conference W 53-0
Fri Oct 26 Washington (Washington, NC) Conference W 62-32
Fri Nov 02 Holmes, John A. (Edenton, NC) Conference W 21-3
Fri Nov 09 Plymouth (Plymouth, NC) Conference W 55-6
Fri Nov 16 Southeast Halifax (Halifax, NC) Playoff W 35-12
Fri Nov 23 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) Playoff W 29-6
Fri Nov 30 Webb, J.F. (Oxford, NC) Playoff W 14-6
Fri Dec 07 Brown, A.L. (Kannapolis, NC) Playoff W 20-0

Reactions: Doppleganger#

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
Tarboro went from 3A to 1A for the past 25 30 years. Did Tarboro lose some of their students to the Prep School that open recently?

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
Tracy Johnson family moved around. I believe his dad was a Minister. I know for a fact that Tracy Johnson played his Freshmen year at North Iredell and his Senior Year was at Kannapolis. His 10th and 11th grade year might have been at Kings Mountain.

FridayNiteLights1217

Oct 2, 2007
Here is Tarboro schedule in 1984.

Fri Aug 31 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) L 3-9
Fri Sep 07 Rocky Mount (Rocky Mount, NC) W 15-14
Fri Sep 14 Ahoskie (Ahoskie, NC) Conference W 21-0
Fri Sep 21 Bertie (Windsor, NC) Conference W 40-0
Fri Oct 05 Williamston (Williamston, NC) Conference W 53-12
Fri Oct 12 Roanoke Rapids (Roanoke Rapids, NC) Conference W 42-0
Fri Oct 19 Roanoke (Robersonville, NC) Conference W 53-0
Fri Oct 26 Washington (Washington, NC) Conference W 62-32
Fri Nov 02 Holmes, John A. (Edenton, NC) Conference W 21-3
Fri Nov 09 Plymouth (Plymouth, NC) Conference W 55-6
Fri Nov 16 Southeast Halifax (Halifax, NC) Playoff W 35-12
Fri Nov 23 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) Playoff W 29-6
Fri Nov 30 Webb, J.F. (Oxford, NC) Playoff W 14-6
Fri Dec 07 Brown, A.L. (Kannapolis, NC) Playoff W 20-0
Still not saying how many players 3A Tarboro fielded for that state playoff game against Kannapolis.Probably none going both ways. The 2017 Bears had 37 player not 58 and was boarder line of being 1A instead of 1AA so you are some what debunked....
Not giving excuses,it is what it is !

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
Ok I found the 1984 Tarboro Vikings football team photo. If all of you poster above that are involve in this discussion. If your on FB their is a group page that I found called Welcome to Tarboro. Their is a lot of photos that were taken around the Town of Tarboro. I came across the 1984 Team. I counted the number of players in the photo. If I did my math right. I counted 33 players in that photo.

Mbulldog42

Aug 15, 2014
Tracy Johnson family moved around. I believe his dad was a Minister. I know for a fact that Tracy Johnson played his Freshmen year at North Iredell and his Senior Year was at Kannapolis. His 10th and 11th grade year might have
He must have been a jr when I played against at Ashbrook my senior year. He was a load to take down, I personally know that

JKVikes

Dec 10, 2010
Tarboro went from 3A to 1A for the past 25 30 years. Did Tarboro lose some of their students to the Prep School that open recently?
Tarboro lost students to the early college, the charter school and the negative population growth as jobs have moved away. Also, Tarboro can be a hard sell to folks who want a larger city with Rocky Mount and Greenville being so nearby.

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
I have been through Tarboro a few times. To me it look like a beautiful small peaceful town and a great place to live and raise a family. I have no idea what the people are like or how they operate in Tarboro. Maybe, economic growth will show some improvement in the future. .

Latest posts