ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Mount Airy (14-0) vs. #1 Tarboro (14-0)

Kannapolis was the almighty Powerhouse in 1984 was rank number and undefeated in the State that year. They had all American FB Tracy Johnson and RB James Lott both went on to play for Danny Ford at Clemson. I am sure their is alot more on the roster. Kannapolis was favored, but lost 20-0 to Tarboro. Kannapolis had a total of 32 Yards of offense 1 yard passing and No first downs. Kannapolis people tell me that was the worse game ever to watch at Kannapolis. I believe Tarboro had only 1 lost that year and they had a player named Donald Frank that played in the NFL.

Kannapolis was the almighty Powerhouse in 1984 was rank number and undefeated in the State that year. They had all American FB Tracy Johnson and RB James Lott both went on to play for Danny Ford at Clemson. I am sure their is alot more on the roster. Kannapolis was favored, but lost 20-0 to Tarboro. Kannapolis had a total of 32 Yards of offense 1 yard passing and No first downs. Kannapolis people tell me that was the worse game ever to watch at Kannapolis. I believe Tarboro had only 1 lost that year and they had a player named Donald Frank that played in the NFL.
Was Tarboro 3A ,what were the ranked and # of players and was it a playoff game.

Last edited:
Was Tarboro 3A ,what were the ranked and # of players and was it a playoff game.

Here is Tarboro schedule in 1984.

Fri Aug 31 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) L 3-9
Fri Sep 07 Rocky Mount (Rocky Mount, NC) W 15-14
Fri Sep 14 Ahoskie (Ahoskie, NC) Conference W 21-0
Fri Sep 21 Bertie (Windsor, NC) Conference W 40-0
Fri Oct 05 Williamston (Williamston, NC) Conference W 53-12
Fri Oct 12 Roanoke Rapids (Roanoke Rapids, NC) Conference W 42-0
Fri Oct 19 Roanoke (Robersonville, NC) Conference W 53-0
Fri Oct 26 Washington (Washington, NC) Conference W 62-32
Fri Nov 02 Holmes, John A. (Edenton, NC) Conference W 21-3
Fri Nov 09 Plymouth (Plymouth, NC) Conference W 55-6
Fri Nov 16 Southeast Halifax (Halifax, NC) Playoff W 35-12
Fri Nov 23 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) Playoff W 29-6
Fri Nov 30 Webb, J.F. (Oxford, NC) Playoff W 14-6
Fri Dec 07 Brown, A.L. (Kannapolis, NC) Playoff W 20-0

Reactions: Doppleganger#
Tarboro went from 3A to 1A for the past 25 30 years. Did Tarboro lose some of their students to the Prep School that open recently?

Tracy Johnson family moved around. I believe his dad was a Minister. I know for a fact that Tracy Johnson played his Freshmen year at North Iredell and his Senior Year was at Kannapolis. His 10th and 11th grade year might have been at Kings Mountain.

Here is Tarboro schedule in 1984.

Fri Aug 31 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) L 3-9
Fri Sep 07 Rocky Mount (Rocky Mount, NC) W 15-14
Fri Sep 14 Ahoskie (Ahoskie, NC) Conference W 21-0
Fri Sep 21 Bertie (Windsor, NC) Conference W 40-0
Fri Oct 05 Williamston (Williamston, NC) Conference W 53-12
Fri Oct 12 Roanoke Rapids (Roanoke Rapids, NC) Conference W 42-0
Fri Oct 19 Roanoke (Robersonville, NC) Conference W 53-0
Fri Oct 26 Washington (Washington, NC) Conference W 62-32
Fri Nov 02 Holmes, John A. (Edenton, NC) Conference W 21-3
Fri Nov 09 Plymouth (Plymouth, NC) Conference W 55-6
Fri Nov 16 Southeast Halifax (Halifax, NC) Playoff W 35-12
Fri Nov 23 SouthWest Edgecombe (Pinetops, NC) Playoff W 29-6
Fri Nov 30 Webb, J.F. (Oxford, NC) Playoff W 14-6
Fri Dec 07 Brown, A.L. (Kannapolis, NC) Playoff W 20-0
Still not saying how many players 3A Tarboro fielded for that state playoff game against Kannapolis.Probably none going both ways. The 2017 Bears had 37 player not 58 and was boarder line of being 1A instead of 1AA so you are some what debunked....
Not giving excuses,it is what it is !

Ok I found the 1984 Tarboro Vikings football team photo. If all of you poster above that are involve in this discussion. If your on FB their is a group page that I found called Welcome to Tarboro. Their is a lot of photos that were taken around the Town of Tarboro. I came across the 1984 Team. I counted the number of players in the photo. If I did my math right. I counted 33 players in that photo.

Tracy Johnson family moved around. I believe his dad was a Minister. I know for a fact that Tracy Johnson played his Freshmen year at North Iredell and his Senior Year was at Kannapolis. His 10th and 11th grade year might have
He must have been a jr when I played against at Ashbrook my senior year. He was a load to take down, I personally know that

Tarboro went from 3A to 1A for the past 25 30 years. Did Tarboro lose some of their students to the Prep School that open recently?

Tarboro lost students to the early college, the charter school and the negative population growth as jobs have moved away. Also, Tarboro can be a hard sell to folks who want a larger city with Rocky Mount and Greenville being so nearby.

I have been through Tarboro a few times. To me it look like a beautiful small peaceful town and a great place to live and raise a family. I have no idea what the people are like or how they operate in Tarboro. Maybe, economic growth will show some improvement in the future. .

Just got this off Go Bears Athletics today. Once Again Congrats To Those BEARS

26231555_686722058382647_8099116957001683392_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearfan71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT