ADVERTISEMENT

Will AL Brown be looking for a new Football Coach?

The last four coaches they hired was there for at least 10 years.

Reactions: btango
One I thought was interviewing is not. Big winner but close to retiring.

What if he is coming up on thirty years in the system?
I don’t believe he is but he maybe I’m not sure his years in school system but I think he be there at least be there for about same time as Newsome was

With Concord I believe they had the Legend EZ Smith for 30 seasons as head coach. Smith was there for a long time taken with consideration of how long coaches stays. Glenn Padgett was with them for 9 seasons. Now I believe they are on 3rd coach since the days of EZ Smith. I believe Concord won the conference with Marty Paxton in 2021. I hope the best with the selection that will be made with AL Brown.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueDevil1996
With Concord I believe they had the Legend EZ Smith for 30 seasons as head coach. Smith was there for a long time taken with consideration of how long coaches stays. Glenn Padgett was with them for 9 seasons. Now I believe they are on 3rd coach since the days of EZ Smith. I believe Concord won the conference with Marty Paxton in 2021. I hope the best with the selection that will be made with AL Brown.
I had to block EZ in high school. Wait…..let me rephrase that. I attempted to block EZ. He had me by nine inches and 130 pounds. It showed.

Newsome was at ALB thirteen seasons. That is a long run at a high school.
No loyalty no more in this day in age in any aspect from players/coach I mean u rarely see coaches stay 10-20 yrs like they used to

Could Kannapolis be in danger of having its first losing seaaon since 1977? I hate to say it, but its not going to matter who the coach is until they get their talent level back up. Where is Wonder89? Anybody know if he is still alive? Would like to hear his thoughts.

Could Kannapolis be in danger of having its first losing seaaon since 1977? I hate to say it, but its not going to matter who the coach is until they get their talent level back up. Where is Wonder89? Anybody know if he is still alive? Would like to hear his thoughts.
There is still good talent there. Yes, Wonder89 is still around. Until Newsome left he wasn’t going to any games. Maybe he will one day come back on here.

I know the coach I would pick if that said coach does make it to the finals and all but i feel most would want the "fan" favorite in Hardin

Is Trent Lowman in the running?
I'm not going to totally disclose who is in the running, but I'd state this; Trent Lowman would be a damn good coach for Kannapolis or any other school. He's certainly among the top active coaches in NC at the moment.
Like Chris said Can’t Disclose outta respect and everything like that but as Chris said - He has done a phenomenal job at East Surry and Has a Championship Pedigree that MOST ALB fan want Back at ALB and I think he would be a great “Rebuilder” for the Middle School program and Get ALB back to being one of the top teams in NC and IF ALB ever goes back to 3A that would be a coaches dream

No loyalty no more in this day in age in any aspect from players/coach I mean u rarely see coaches stay 10-20 yrs like they used to
Why should coaches be loyal to a system that doesn’t value them at the pay rate they deserve? Be loyal to you and yours, coaches. Especially in North Carolina.

Loyalty doesn’t pay the bills.

Last edited:
HD, don’t you think the choice was made as soon as the application was received from the one coach? If he does not take the job do they go with one of the other two finalist or open it back up?

No second interview for the guy with sixty wins the last five years.

Could Kannapolis continue to struggle in the win column and this process be repeated in less than five or so years?

Last edited:
Brown isn't the job it used to be, but it still has to be one of the best in the state for a public school system. They need to make a strong hire like they previously did with Coach Newsome or the whole program will become irrelevant. Compared to the Charlotte schools. Those schools will remain strong.

Brown isn't the job it used to be, but it still has to be one of the best in the state for a public school system. They need to make a strong hire like they previously did with Coach Newsome or the whole program will become irrelevant. Compared to the Charlotte schools. Those schools will remain strong.
When considering what is a good job comes down to a few things
1. Facilities
2. Money for the program
3. Ability to win
4. Administration.
5. Players
6. Ability for coaches to make money
Now AL Brown may have some of that and is a great job not sure if I would rank it as one of the top jobs in NC but still a quality job

When considering what is a good job comes down to a few things
1. Facilities
2. Money for the program
3. Ability to win
4. Administration.
5. Players
6. Ability for coaches to make money
Now AL Brown may have some of that and is a great job not sure if I would rank it as one of the top jobs in NC but still a quality job
What are they missing besides the Jimmies and Joe's to compete with Charlotte schools? It's definitely one of the better paying HC jobs. You can recruit and retain great assistant coaches, the money is there. IDK about Administration but the facilities are great for a public school.

What are they missing besides the Jimmies and Joe's to compete with Charlotte schools? It's definitely one of the better paying HC jobs. You can recruit and retain great assistant coaches, the money is there. IDK about Administration but the facilities are great for a public school.
One has to also ask how is their feeder system, what’s that look like?

Right now they don’t have one. They need to get back playing middle school football. That is why the JV team gets killed every week. The freshman are playing their first year of ball an the JV team.

• Wow
Reactions: Crestuff
Right now they don’t have one. They need to get back playing middle school football. That is why the JV team gets killed every week. The freshman are playing their first year of ball an the JV team.
So wait, there is no middle school football in Kannapolis? That is really really bad.

I have to ask the question. Why no middle school football in Kannapolis or Forsyth Co?

I had no idea they don't have middle school football in K Town. That's insane. And most definitely changes the perspective of the job long term. They've always had stability so I thought they had that. We played when I was in Concord and it was a great atmosphere for HS Football.

Gosh, Forsyth County probably hasn’t has not had it for more than 25 years. I can’t even remember why they stopped, there has been rumors it might finally be coming back
Unbelievable. I never knew. That's the one area of the state I've never coached in is the Triad. Where do kids play the greatest game during Middle school years? Is there a really strong youth program run through the county? Or, has this led to the success of neighboring counties? I'd imagine some parents move to have that opportunity.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Like I said earlier middle school landscape will be priority #1 for this new coach! I believe this hire could be a Make or Break for AL Brown imo

Will be interesting what the Future hold for the Wonders.

Unbelievable. I never knew. That's the one area of the state I've never coached in is the Triad. Where do kids play the greatest game during Middle school years? Is there a really strong youth program run through the county? Or, has this led to the success of neighboring counties? I'd imagine some parents move to have that opportunity.
Well not trying to hijack AL Brown thread, but they play youth football. Is it good? NO. But it is all they have. Had one shut down last year due to an attack of coaches and police called. They were playing at a HS and school system pulled their contract. Had at least 2 other shootings at games.

Well not trying to hijack AL Brown thread, but they play youth football. Is it good? NO. But it is all they have. Had one shut down last year due to an attack of coaches and police called. They were playing at a HS and school system pulled their contract. Had at least 2 other shootings at games.
That's terrible.

Final interviews were held yesterday, I expect an offer to be made shortly. Of the four finalists, two are head coaches in the area, and all four have ties to the program.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT