ADVERTISEMENT

Will AL Brown be looking for a new Football Coach?

One of the best to do it. Would think they could stay in house and make a pretty dang good hire, but will have no shortage of applicants.

I know one coach I would go after if he is willing to leave where he is now.

Best of luck to Coach Newsome to the direction he goes. I’m sure there will be a long list of applicants for this job.

Is there any good young coaches in CMS that would be a good hire.

Coach Newsome is a class act, while it hasn't been fun losing to him/Kannapolis, his wanting to be there more as a husband and father is very understandable. Kannapolis will pickup and carry on..

To coach from the Concord side,, job well done, enjoy the retirement that you have worked so hard for and earned,

CC14 you are right. 25-30 years ago AL Brown might have been one of the best jobs in the entire Southeast. But as soon as Pillowtex left and the schools around AL Brown continued to grow things changed for the Wonders. I think there will be solid interest for this job, this job pays very well has very nice facilities , has backing from the community BUT but but but its not 1990 Kannapolis anymore. What are the expectations there? Are they realistic? You can win there but can you really make those deep playoff runs into the 4th 5th round every year. Will the fanbase compare you to the Hardin years or even before? I a sure there are not too many kids like Nick Maddox walking the halls there . So I am assuming that has to be considered when any coach applies for this job. But again this is still a very good job with decent perks, should have a good list of candidates

Last edited:
You'll certainly hear some of the locals immediately asking for either Justin Hardin or Blair Hardin to return to town.

While I don't see Blair Hardin leaving his very good situation at River Bluff, I could somewhat see Justin showing some interest. Time will tell.

Looking back at nearly every hire Kannapolis has made since the 1970's, every coach that they have hired has been roughly 40 years old and had about 100 wins. So that tells me that they will not hire a coach who hasn't been a head coach in the past.

I say there is zero chance that they hire anyone on staff. I also, much to some dismay of some local supporters, think that there is zero chance that someone like Todd Haglar comes back to coach the team.

If I'm in charge, I would look at some guys like this....

Trent Lowman - East Surry
Matt Beam - East Lincoln Asst.
Jupiter Wilson - Hickory Ridge
Brandon Gentry - Hopewell
Greg Lloyd - Former Kings Mountain HFC
Mark Harmon - Former Myers Park HFC
Chris Metzger - Montgomery Central
Steve Davis - Dudley
Mark Holcomb - Bishop McGuinness
Joe Nixon - Mooresville
Josh McGee - Reagan
Clayton Trivett - Salisbury
Brian Flynn - North Davidson
Joe Evans - South Meck
Chris Adams - Former Ledford HFC

It's a pipedream...but he's wanted the job twice in the past so I would throw the kitchen sink at Tom Knotts. I know it won't happen, but if anyone could throw together the money to pay him, Kannapolis could. I know the boosters behind the program.

I believe if there is a coach that could get AL Brown back to their winning traditions, Tom Knotts could do it. But I know that would 0 chance of him coming.

Last edited:
You'll certainly hear some of the locals immediately asking for either Justin Hardin or Blair Hardin to return to town.

While I don't see Blair Hardin leaving his very good situation at River Bluff, I could somewhat see Justin showing some interest. Time will tell.

Looking back at nearly every hire Kannapolis has made since the 1970's, every coach that they have hired has been roughly 40 years old and had about 100 wins. So that tells me that they will not hire a coach who hasn't been a head coach in the past.

I say there is zero chance that they hire anyone on staff. I also, much to some dismay of some local supporters, think that there is zero chance that someone like Todd Haglar comes back to coach the team.

Steve Davis - Dudley
Joe Nixon - Mooresville
Josh McGee - Reagan
Joe Evans - South Meck

It's a pipedream...but he's wanted the job twice in the past so I would throw the kitchen sink at Tom Knotts. I know it won't happen, but if anyone could throw together the money to pay him, Kannapolis could. I know the boosters behind the program.
There is a couple of names on this list that I would like to see get the job.

I would be surprised if Nixon would want to leave Mooresville anytime soon.

Steve Davis - Dudley
Joe Nixon - Mooresville
Josh McGee - Reagan
Joe Evans - South Meck

All great points. My first experience at a Brown game was back in the 70s, I thought I was at a college game. It will be very difficult to get things back to those days. The admin was 100% committed to the football program back then. There were a lot of perks given to the FB players that other sports just didn’t have. I don’t have a problem with that but many did. I remember when the soccer teams were not allowed on the football field. I feel the FB program is no different that the swimming program now. Chris, you make good points about the hire but there are different people in charge now so that trend may change.
I think TK would have the same success at Brown that he’s had everywhere else he has coached. Kann has had a lot of talent poached over the past 10 years which has really hurt them. They are not the only school to deal with this. There is a lot of talent in that area and a big name like TK draws more talent in. I have always said that TK doesn’t need to recruit, his program does that for him.

Hahahahahahaha AL Brown needs to find a new football team first. What a joke. 🤣
Can’t remember the year but I saw Catholic and Brown play in the playoffs. I was watching the game with a friend and the score was 7-3 Brown and the place was rocking. Catholic won the game something like 43-7 or 45-7. Nice place to watch a game but Catholic had to get 500 yards of offense that game.

Reactions: footsoldier
I can see interest this job is like Crest Page Ect. The name Has a lot of weight with it but just isn’t what it used to be. But AL Brown has nice facilities and is a good paying job. You can win there but not like you could say 2002

I can see interest this job is like Crest Page Ect. The name Has a lot of weight with it but just isn’t what it used to be. But AL Brown has nice facilities and is a good paying job. You can win there but not like you could say 2002
Agreed, until they get out of the 4A they won’t compete for a state championship every year. But there is still a lot of talent there.

Reactions: sammyk
Hearing there is a lot of top tier coaches applying for the job.
A lot of interest due to the salary being probaby about $20k more than CMS. Also, automony. Not sure most are as impressed with other aspects. If the NCHSAA goes to five or more classifications I can see that as a big positive for AL Brown competitively.

The number one hire was possibly just made at Kings Mountain getting Strait Herron. Home run hire. KM and Cleveland County pay well but not like Kannapolis City but it is much less cost of living. Also, your chances to win at KM under the current classification system and placement will be much more likely at KM.

Biggest thing for the Next HC is keep ALB players there as we have seen some backup or other go to other schools n such which hurt the depth chart and also Rebuild the middle school as middle school program is down

Darius Robinson from J.M. Robinson, maybe? Just saw he has resigned/is resigning and that they are currently looking for a new HFC.

Didn't Robinson asked to get moved back to 3A? If so that could be the reason for the opening?
Definitely could be the case - either way he’s a pretty big rising star in the NCHS football coaching ranks - J.M. Robinson definitely wasn’t going to be his last stop.

Interviews will take place this week. About 5 of the coaches I speculated on could still be in the mix, along with some out of state and local college coaches with ALB connections. Solid list they are picking from.

Reactions: Hon Dines
Interviews will take place this week. About 5 of the coaches I speculated on could still be in the mix, along with some out of state and local college coaches with ALB connections. Solid list they are picking from.
Looks like four on your list and one you discussed in your post are in the mix plus a couple of others with Wonder roots. Going to be interesting.

If I am Kannapolis I am not hiring a guy that has not been a high school head coach or a coach that has over 30 years or right at it (in the NC retirement system). I want a coach that is going to be there for ten plus years if successful.

There 1 coach that I have heard has applied- Idk if he in the 4 coaches selected but He been a WINNER at his current NC team and He would be at ALB for the long haul since it’s a bigger job then say where he is now in more of rural area of NC

There 1 coach that I have heard has applied- Idk if he in the 4 coaches selected but He been a WINNER at his current NC team and He would be at ALB for the long haul since it’s a bigger job then say where he is now in more of rural area of NC
More than four interviewing.

More than four interviewing.
I only heard 4 names myself so Im sure more but 1 stands out to me and If he is in the interviewing procress i think he should be a top one bc he been a very successful coach and had won a few state titles so I think he would fit the pedigree for ALB Football

I only heard 4 names myself so Im sure more but 1 stands out to me and If he is in the interviewing procress i think he should be a top one bc he been a very successful coach and had won a few state titles so I think he would fit the pedigree for ALB Football
What if he is coming up on thirty years in the system?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT