ADVERTISEMENT

Western Regional Championship Robbinsville vs Mitchell

I dont doubt that Robbinsville is the real deal, I already know that Walsh is a great coach, only coach to ever win a conference championship at Hayesville if my memory serves me thing is how much do you Robbinsville posters actually know about your football program? I'm calling BS on a few of you just like your wrestling coach did will Walsh run bucksweep all night? Yes until we stop it, then they will throw it's called watching film I can be a smartypants too lol

I dont doubt that Robbinsville is the real deal, I already know that Walsh is a great coach, only coach to ever win a conference championship at Hayesville if my memory serves me thing is how much do you Robbinsville posters actually know about your football program? I'm calling BS on a few of you just like your wrestling coach did will Walsh run bucksweep all night? Yes until we stop it, then they will throw it's called watching film I can be a smartypants too lol
Robbinsville is gonna run the ball lol

Is it just me or some of these freshman bigger these days? Plus I believe they start the weight program earlier these days as probably middle school , I never lefted weights until I was a freshman when I played. But I was going to a home game this year and saw a lineman running in the parking lot wearing his jersey and jeans and I thought son aren't you running late? I assumed since sophomores aren't on JV anymore that he couldn't be a freshman then saw him in the stands. Not no 325 but still big to me for a freshman this boys are still growing after all, looking at the roaster I believe it was #75 since he was the biggest one 6'2" 260lbs.

Last edited:
Is it just me or some of these freshman bigger these days? Plus I believe they start the weight program earlier these days as probably middle school , I never lefted weights until I was a freshman when I played. But I was going to a home game this year and saw a lineman running in the parking lot wearing his jersey and jeans and I thought son aren't you running late? I assumed since sophomores aren't on JV anymore that he couldn't be a freshman then saw him in the stands. Not no 325 but still big to me for a freshman this boys are still growing after all, looking at the roaster I believe it was #75 since he was the biggest one 6'2" 260lbs.
Back in the day if you weighed a lot you could not take the practices. I remember a dude in 7-8th grade that weighed nearly 300. He couldn’t make it through the first practice. We ran 25 100 yard wind sprints, 100 up downs, 50 push-ups and sit ups. It was more like military boot camp back then.

Back in the day if you weighed a lot you could not take the practices. I remember a dude in 7-8th grade that weighed nearly 300. He couldn’t make it through the first practice. We ran 25 100 yard wind sprints, 100 up downs, 50 push-ups and sit ups. It was more like military boot camp back then.
We had John Phillips who was a good size youngin and had a great college career but in high school I believe he was only 217 or so about 6'4"-5" but seems that's just average size these days for some high school teams.

Unless they're about 30+ points better than they were earlier in the year it ain't happening. Unless Robbinsville falls completely apart my guess is it isn't even close. They're a machine right now. With that said, I know it would mean the world to their community and for that reason it wouldn't bother me a bit to see them win it all
Well at least will need to be a couple scores better they only lost by one TD and extra point earlier in the year.

Reactions: Purple1995
Nobody cares about Bueladeans finest from the 70s
He was from Spruce Pine and it was 1982-83 season not the 70's and the comment wasn't to brag about him it was just a reference to it seems that the lineman in high school these days are bigger. I don't know why it's a big deal to anyone to make a comparison like that.

Reactions: Mhsneer
He was from Spruce Pine and it was 1982-83 season not the 70's and the comment wasn't to brag about him it was just a reference to it seems that the lineman in high school these days are bigger. I don't know why it's a big deal to anyone to make a comparison like that.
Different game nowadays. Back then option linemen had to be lean and fast

Different game nowadays. Back then option linemen had to be lean and fast
Well coach Coggins played at NC State and while I think there are some better decisions especially offensively he could have made he was really the first to introduce a good weight lifting program at Mitchell that's kinda taking for granted today in high school so I believe boys are probably stronger today as well.

Did any of you get to play with John or ever think he would go that far? I like to read stories like that.

While not football, thought I would give equal time to Graham county. This is a pretty neat series on athletes from all 100 counties.

Go Mountaineers

Did any of you get to play with John or ever think he would go that far? I like to read stories like that.
I played with him we graduated together had to go against him every day at practice I'm 5'9" not much of match lol But never went to his head always one of the nices guys you'll ever know.
Our coach who played for NC State new how to promote him so we knew he was getting offers, even meet Danny Ford when he came to see him. But if I remember right some schools wanted him for a lineman while Clemson wanted him for a linebacker but got there and became a lineman.
His little brother went to Clemson too and another guy our age James Phillips went to Wake Forest as I believe a tight end plus we had several guys on that team that went to small colleges like Mars Hill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT