ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATED RPI 2A

Whiteville is 7-1 maybe so who’s better smart guy n that’s taking nothing away from west craven in my prior statement they lost to 3 good teams!!

I'm not arguing that Clinton is not good they are . They are very good and probably the team to beat. And also I'm not trying to be smartass

Reactions: Swo1980
2A West 2023(1st place by RPI's)

As of Oct.15 7:21pm

ROCKY RIVER
Monroe(3)
CATAWBA VALLEY
Bunker Hill(6)
FOOTHILLS
North Surry(26)/East Surry(11)
MID-STATE
Reidsville(2)
MOUNTAIN FOOTHILLS 7
Brevard(16)
CATAWABA SHORES
Pine Lake Prep(13)/Comm. School of Davidson(7)
CENTRAL CAROLINA
Salisbury(5)
PAC-7
Randleman(4)
SOUTHERN PIEDMONT
Shelby(23)/Burns(10)
WESTERN HIGLANDS
Madison(39)
YADKIN VALLEY
North Stanly(9)
==========================
1. Reidsville
2. Monroe
3. Randleman
4. Salisbury
5. Bunker Hill
6. Comm. School of Davidson
7. North Stanly
8. Burns
9. East Surry
10.Brevard
11.Madison

12.Forest Hills
13.West Lincoln
14.East Gaston
15.Pine Lake Prep
16.Providence Grove
17.SW Randolph
18.West Stokes
19.Chase
20.Maiden
21.West Stanly
22.Mount Pleasant
23.McMichael
24.Shelby
25.Anson
26.Lexington
27.North Surry
28.East Davidson
29.Lincolnton
30.Bandys
31.TW Andrews
32.Newton-Conover
==================
1st Round games
1 vs 32
16 vs 17
9 vs 24
8 vs 25

4 vs 29
13 vs 20
12 vs 21
5 vs 28

2 vs 31
15 vs 18
10 vs 23
7 vs 26

3 vs 30
14 vs 19
11 vs 22
6 vs 27

Last edited:
Reactions: Lincolnton
But Wiz the factors of OWP and OOWP from those non conference games continue to be factored in as their records change. All games the team has played are factors in their final RPI. It keeps changing all year
You are correct, what I don’t get is how it’s changed during the week. I know some teams had to forfeit some games which started a ripple among a number of teams

the new rpi is out already at nchsaa.org
A new rpi has been out several times today. It will change again tomorrow at the rate it has been going. I have checked it a few times today. Earlier today 0.01105 seperated ED and Clinton then later in the day only 0.00391 seperated them. This is what everyone has been talking about it seems to be forever changing from Saturday to Thursday. So they question how if during season takes so long to get RPI finalized will they be able to finalize it from Friday night Oct. 27th to Saturday Oct. 28th seeding day?

Last edited:
West Craven is 6 and 2. One win came back to them because New Bern had to forfeit
West Craven did not pick up a win because of New Bern. We dropped the loss. It’s as if we never played them. That shouldn’t be hard to understand. It was a forfeit.

I see now maxpreps has it listed as a win. My understanding is that it would not count as a win. But without those 5 skill players they wouldn’t have beaten us to begin with. So I dunno. I’ll have to call someone tomorrow.

Last edited:
You are correct, what I don’t get is how it’s changed during the week. I know some teams had to forfeit some games which started a ripple among a number of teams
Some schools don’t report in with results like they are supposed too. I don’t know what the NCHSAA will do if they don’t report in after the last game before midnight. There should be fines.

Depends on what their opponents do, obviously if the best WRH that drops OWP
Yea it will depend on what the opponent’s do. There’s too much figuring and calculating in this rpi for me to be able to completely wrap my head around it. I hope you understand at no point am I arguing with you on this. I respect you too much. As long as Clinton wins non of this matters. It true for all the teams but Clinton has just been pounding the teams they play. Going to be an interesting playoffs for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980
West Craven did not pick up a win because of New Bern. We dropped the loss. It’s as if we never played them. That shouldn’t be hard to understand. It was a forfeit.

I see now maxpreps has it listed as a win. My understanding is that it would not count as a win. But without those 5 skill players they wouldn’t have beaten us to begin with. So I dunno. I’ll have to call someone tomorrow.
A forfeit is considered a loss, most of the time by a score of 1-0 in most sports. A loss can't exist without a win. If it counts as a loss for one school, that means that it counts as a win for the other. When a game isn't counted at all, it's called a no contest. That usually happens when a game is completely cancelled and won't be made up. All the teams that NB forfeited to had that game changed from a loss to a win.

A forfeit is considered a loss, most of the time by a score of 1-0 in most sports. A loss can't exist without a win. If it counts as a loss for one school, that means that it counts as a win for the other. When a game isn't counted at all, it's called a no contest. That usually happens when a game is completely cancelled and won't be made up. All the teams that NB forfeited to had that game changed from a loss to a win.
So, are you guys going to take the last week off and forfeit?? 😊😊

Why is it considered a win for us and it’s not a win for Grimesly in the state title game. It was vacated. I guess that is why I thought our game was not a win.

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980 and BK13T-$

I don't know if I'd say that as NB QB was eligible and he did most of the scoring himself. Would've been a good one. But yes, WC gets to drop the loss but also count the win.

A new rpi has been out several times today. It will change again tomorrow at the rate it has been going. I have checked it a few times today. Earlier today 0.01105 seperated ED and Clinton then later in the day only 0.00391 seperated them. This is what everyone has been talking about it seems to be forever changing from Saturday to Thursday. So they question how if during season takes so long to get RPI finalized will they be able to finalize it from Friday night Oct. 27th to Saturday Oct. 28th seeding day?
It will be very close. And that is considering that Easy Duplin wins out. If ED loses it's a done deal and they probably drop to the highest seed behind conference champions. Clinton will win out and I think Northeastern wins out. So there's a chance that Northeastern is the one seed.All depends on how teams everyone has played does. To be honest it will fine with me anyway it works out. I really didn't expect ED to be in this conversation this year but they are and that a credit to those coaches and players at ED.

Why is it considered a win for us and it’s not a win for Grimesly in the state title game. It was vacated. I guess that is why I thought our game was not a
It's considered a win for Grimsley, and all the other opponents New Bern beat in the playoffs. The only problem is you can't reward Grimsley for the winning the final round of the playoffs, because you can't reward the other teams in the previous rounds of the playoffs for their new found win. Basically, your reward for winning the final round is being named the champion. Your reward for winning a previous round is advancement to the next round. Since the other teams can't elevate their playoff positions with their new found win, neither can Grimsley.

Just an interesting footnote about a win against a weak opponent lowering your rpi:
This happens constantly in college basketball, especially for "power" teams usually in those November/December nonconference games played at home (which also factors in to the NCAA's rpi, i.e. you get more credit or in this case "less penalty" by playing a cupcake on the road than at home). A few years back there was even a case or two where a team with a decent rpi in a "power" conference could look down the road in the middle of the conference schedule to a throwaway game against a weak noncon, and see that it would significantly hurt their rpi and possibly even in getting in the NCAA tournament, so they attempted to cancel that game by paying the opponent not to play it. The NCAA wisely said that you were not allowed to cancel a game after the season starts specifically to prevent a lowering your rpi, just like for instance a midmajor like Wofford who is on the bubble couldn't have a mega-booster like the deceased Jerry Richardson come in at the last minute and pay Duke a couple of mil to play the Terriers on a Monday afternoon just to get Wofford's rpi up(even if they lost by 20).
Rpi is a great tool for NCAA basketball in determining 90% of who should be in the playoffs, but as far as the bubble teams and who the #1 seeds are, that could vary from the r.p.i. based the selection committee considering which teams are currently playing their best basketball, who was injured earlier in the season that may have affected a few games, midseason coaching change, etc. The NCHSAA I think wisely relies 100% on r.p.i. and conference champions for their seeding, b/c as much as many of us think we could reasonably sit down and determine seeds 1-32 on our own, I can't imagine who you could appoint to a "selection committee" that wouldn't be accused of either incompetence, bias or worse. Much cleaner to argue with a predetermined computer formula than a group of guys holed up at the NCHSAA offices the last weekend of October. There may be a better computer-based program than the current r.p.i., but unlerss/untill I hear a bunch of AD's and coaches squawking about it I'm going to assume the current system is as good (or no worse) as any.

Just an interesting footnote about a win against a weak opponent lowering your rpi:
This happens constantly in college basketball, especially for "power" teams usually in those November/December nonconference games played at home (which also factors in to the NCAA's rpi, i.e. you get more credit or in this case "less penalty" by playing a cupcake on the road than at home). A few years back there was even a case or two where a team with a decent rpi in a "power" conference could look down the road in the middle of the conference schedule to a throwaway game against a weak noncon, and see that it would significantly hurt their rpi and possibly even in getting in the NCAA tournament, so they attempted to cancel that game by paying the opponent not to play it. The NCAA wisely said that you were not allowed to cancel a game after the season starts specifically to prevent a lowering your rpi, just like for instance a midmajor like Wofford who is on the bubble couldn't have a mega-booster like the deceased Jerry Richardson come in at the last minute and pay Duke a couple of mil to play the Terriers on a Monday afternoon just to get Wofford's rpi up(even if they lost by 20).
Rpi is a great tool for NCAA basketball in determining 90% of who should be in the playoffs, but as far as the bubble teams and who the #1 seeds are, that could vary from the r.p.i. based the selection committee considering which teams are currently playing their best basketball, who was injured earlier in the season that may have affected a few games, midseason coaching change, etc. The NCHSAA I think wisely relies 100% on r.p.i. and conference champions for their seeding, b/c as much as many of us think we could reasonably sit down and determine seeds 1-32 on our own, I can't imagine who you could appoint to a "selection committee" that wouldn't be accused of either incompetence, bias or worse. Much cleaner to argue with a predetermined computer formula than a group of guys holed up at the NCHSAA offices the last weekend of October. There may be a better computer-based program than the current r.p.i., but unlerss/untill I hear a bunch of AD's and coaches squawking about it I'm going to assume the current system is as good (or no worse) as any.
Good post, acknowledging there could be flaws in anything but I like the predetermined aspect. I think it’s interesting it’s based not just on youa teams %. and opponents % but your opponent’s opponent % . I just sssume there are computers that can crunch those numbers quickly and accurately.

It's considered a win for Grimsley, and all the other opponents New Bern beat in the playoffs. The only problem is you can't reward Grimsley for the winning the final round of the playoffs, because you can't reward the other teams in the previous rounds of the playoffs for their new found win. Basically, your reward for winning the final round is being named the champion. Your reward for winning a previous round is advancement to the next round. Since the other teams can't elevate their playoff positions with their new found win, neither can Grimsley.
If our non conference game with New Bern counts as a win now and improves our RPI then Grimesly should have been rewarded with the trophy. I believe right is right and wrong is wrong no matter who it is. If they are not going to award tge trophy to Grimesly then I don’t think West Craven , Havelock and whoever the other 3 teams are this season should benefit from it in the RPI. It is a benefit no matter how small it may be. Rules should be black and white and all teams treated equally. You can’t tell me Grimesly is not getting the short end of the stick here. If I’m a booster of Grimesly I’m leading a movement to buy rings and have pictures of the kids as Champions. I had no idea we got a win over New Bern in this and Grimesly gets a win but no recognition for playing the game the right way. I wish Que Tucker could see this. It’s just wrong.

It will be very close. And that is considering that Easy Duplin wins out. If ED loses it's a done deal and they probably drop to the highest seed behind conference champions. Clinton will win out and I think Northeastern wins out. So there's a chance that Northeastern is the one seed.All depends on how teams everyone has played does. To be honest it will fine with me anyway it works out. I really didn't expect ED to be in this conversation this year but they are and that a credit to those coaches and players at ED.
Honestly They still have what could be considered their toughest games to play

Reactions: FootballDad2023
If our non conference game with New Bern counts as a win now and improves our RPI then Grimesly should have been rewarded with the trophy. I believe right is right and wrong is wrong no matter who it is. If they are not going to award tge trophy to Grimesly then I don’t think West Craven , Havelock and whoever the other 3 teams are this season should benefit from it in the RPI. It is a benefit no matter how small it may be. Rules should be black and white and all teams treated equally. You can’t tell me Grimesly is not getting the short end of the stick here. If I’m a booster of Grimesly I’m leading a movement to buy rings and have pictures of the kids as Champions. I had no idea we got a win over New Bern in this and Grimesly gets a win but no recognition for playing the game the right way. I wish Que Tucker could see this. It’s just wrong.

Lol dude it's not to hard to understand, last year NB beat multiple teams until the title game. Therefore each team they beat could say they're the champs or could have beat grimesly. This year, NB is not the champ, therefore the forfeit is a 1-0 win. Same as last year but only 5 games and haven't played for the title yet. Simple understanding old wizzzz jr

Btw hating on NB and the kids, for weeks on other threads, is a low blow by yourself. You are the adult, act like one.......

I respectfully disagree simply because this year's RPI rankings and games already played last year are two completely non related things. I understand what you're saying about RPI, and your argument about benefiting from it is correct, but it's still fluid. Last year's playoffs are done and can't change. It's over and done with. And if you reward the new winner of the final round, then what about the new winners of the other rounds? All of New Bern's playoff opponents could say "Hey, what about us? They cheated vs us too." Especially the Eastern runner up. If you give the trophy to Grimsley, then the Eastern runner up will cry that they should have been playing in the championship, and they'd be right. And the Eastern semifinalist would be saying that they should have played for the regional championship. And they'd be right. And so on and so forth. Everybody got the short end of the stick. Not just Grimsley.

Good post, acknowledging there could be flaws in anything but I like the predetermined aspect. I think it’s interesting it’s based not just on youa teams %. and opponents % but your opponent’s opponent % . I just sssume there are computers that can crunch those numbers quickly and accurately.
Wiz, I'm going to assume w/o any basis of fact that the current computer system and any that might update or replace it is as "quick" and "accurate" as the info that is fed in to them, i.e. the system is totally dependent on when the schools send it in and how accurate it is. For example you can go on High School OT any Saturday morning and see a handful of games still requesting for scores to be posted, and a game or two showing team A beating team B and you know for a fact that it was B who beat A, i.e. the score is correct but the winners got transposed (which could be a result of the winner being reported incorrectly from the school, or the person who input it from whatever source HSOT uses transposed it on their end); understandable given there are over 200 games on most Fridays and still a bunch of Avg. Joes supplying the info (If I'm a head or coach or AD, that's the last thing I'm worried about doing after a long gameday and a full week work; I'm designating that task to a booster, or even one of my kids who is going to be on their phone or tablet anyway so why not). Ideally the head official would have that task and for all I know maybe they do, but again subject to error or just plain not getting "roun' to it".
I'm going to further guess again w/o any factual basis that when the folks at the NCHSAA gather on the last Saturday of the regualr season that they'll accept as accurate the r.p.i.'s after all data is in as accurate and initially seed from there, but in the case where there is a very small difference in r.p.i. particularly between the very top seeds, and also the very bottom seeds as to who gets in the playoffs and who doesn't, that the committee (or whatever body they are gathered as) will take those teams on a game-by-game basis for the entire season and make sure there are no obvious errors in the data provided that could affect two teams with very finite differences between their r.p.i.'s. But for the overwhelming majority of teams and matchups, you take what's given as accurate...or accurate enough when your algorithm includes literally thousands of games; for example at season end each team has their own 10 game record, then the record of each of the 10 teams they played, multiplied by those teams own 10-game season = well over a hundred games just to derive a single team's r.p.i. Count me amongst the "above my pay grade" to follow it on a week-to-week basis , thought the basic formula based on a full 10 game season makes sense to me in total.

Also, allow me a "get off my lawn", old school moment here: computers are nice for getting us info, and also probably necessary for something as complex as a 400-team league, but I still miss the old Saturdays when the only way to find the scores was to open up the Fayetteville Observer, Raleigh N&O, Greensboro Record, etc. on a Saturday morning and get the scores; that over a cup of coffee and a Hardee's biscuit was my idea of a Saturday morning.

Also, allow me a "get off my lawn", old school moment here: computers are nice for getting us info, and also probably necessary for something as complex as a 400-team league, but I still miss the old Saturdays when the only way to find the scores was to open up the Fayetteville Observer, Raleigh N&O, Greensboro Record, etc. on a Saturday morning and get the scores; that over a cup of coffee and a Hardee's biscuit was my idea of a Saturday morning.
Yea I miss those days also. We use to have the N&O at the local diner and go over all the scores. So many of those guys are gone and I sure miss them.

How did things change after tonight’s games? Assuming Clinton beats St. Paul’s.

Clinton's now #1 in the East RPI and that's not likely to change after the next 2 games in fact right now the DarkHorses have the highest RPI in the state 2 A east or west😎

Last edited:
Reactions: daagoob
Clinton's now #1 in the East RPI and that's not likely to change after the next 2 games in fact right now the DarkHorses have the highest RPI in the state 2 A east or west😎
As I said in an earlier post, the r.p.i. by season's-end will work itself out to be fairly close to what the consensus is on who the best teams are. We'd be better served as fans if they didn't even publish an in-season r.p.i. until after the 7th game or so.

Looking at the updated RPI, ED is now 4th behind Nash Central and Nash won't win their 3A/2A conference. Which if things hold would mean ED would get the 12 seed vice the 11 seed. I would much rather have the 11 seed so we wouldn't have to play Clinton until the end because I think Clinton is clearly the best team in the east this year.

For the RPI nerds out there, Nash Centrals last game is against a 1-7 team and EDs is against SWO who just beat JK. If both NC and ED win their last game could ED jump them in RPI?

Reactions: FootballDad2023
As I said in an earlier post, the r.p.i. by season's-end will work itself out to be fairly close to what the consensus is on who the best teams are. We'd be better served as fans if they didn't even publish an in-season r.p.i. until after the 7th game or so.
I agree. I don't think RPI needs to be released so early. Even if they wait until week 8 that would be better. Saw it changed a lot after Thursday and Friday's games and is getting closer to being accurate than a week 5 release.

Looking at the updated RPI, ED is now 4th behind Nash Central and Nash won't win their 3A/2A conference. Which if things hold would mean ED would get the 12 seed vice the 11 seed. I would much rather have the 11 seed so we wouldn't have to play Clinton until the end because I think Clinton is clearly the best team in the east this year.

For the RPI nerds out there, Nash Centrals last game is against a 1-7 team and EDs is against SWO who just beat JK. If both NC and ED win their last game could ED jump them in RPI?
I have been wondering that also and to me I think they would move back above Nash Central. Especially if both ED and Wallace win on the 27th. Grizzly will be able to help with this question I am sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT