ADVERTISEMENT

The Official RPI Thread (post updates here)

Half Rabun Gap yds came in 4th Q.
With our backups in.
It was 7-0 2 minutes before halftime
BS if yall held your own why you take starters out! SMH why not play starters to get better against better competition. That's dumbest thing I have ever heard! You smc boys kill me!!!!!!!! LMAO they get most of yards bc yall pulled your starters out lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2:31 left in 2nd qrt it was 14-0 you sure you seen the game?

Shhhhh…
Let them keep going at each other…
ER hasn’t played anybody…
Bunch of scrub teams…
Tired Go To Sleep GIF by Tierpark Berlin

Reactions: thekidd12
Also to note, Murphy's QB is only a sophmore and Franklin was his first game ever as a varsity player
@RexReally made a valid point. Murphy's QB is young and he does have good qualities (poised, makes good decisions with the ball, accurate) but his arm strength is a major weakness and really limits what Murphy can draw up in passing game. Arm strength is like speed, its mostly a natural ability and there's only so much you can do to improve it.

Murphy is largely dependent on short yardage throws because the QB can not drive the ball down the field, it's unfortunate because #1 and #3 would be big weapons if they could. #1 is 6'5 and can jump out of the gym (really good basketball player) and #3 is very fast, those qualities are largely neutered though because of the lack of verticality in the passing game.

This isn't college or the NFL though, you work with what you've got and I think Watson has done a good job of game planning to accentuate the strengths the Murphy QB does have as a player. It is what it is.

Last edited:
BS if yall held your own why you take starters out! SMH why not play starters to get better against better competition. That's dumbest thing I have ever heard! You smc boys kill me!!!!!!!! LMAO they get most of yards bc yall pulled your starters out lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2:31 left in 2nd qrt it was 14-0 you sure you seen the game?

You are the idiot.
You wouldn't understand that with 340 kids and down 22-00 end of 3rd we had to take out kids to avoid injury. The game was out of reach. I knew Coaches would do that if the game wasn't winnable. We can't just put another one in if someone gets hurt. You don't understand having limited kids.

Question about Polks seading for playoffs… they have moved us down from 2a back to 1a and Polk is in a 2a conference so they will be the #1 for the 1a side and they haven’t played a single 1a team all year. How will that affect them come playoff time? They are not a top team but in 1a they are not too bad of a team either

Question about Polks seading for playoffs… they have moved us down from 2a back to 1a and Polk is in a 2a conference so they will be the #1 for the 1a side and they haven’t played a single 1a team all year. How will that affect them come playoff time? They are not a top team but in 1a they are not too bad of a team either
Eastern Randolph in same situation basically. Non conference has been all 3A teams and conference will be all 2A. They have won conference each year since been in 1A though. I still think if you have best record of 1A teams and finish in top 3 of conference the team is then considered a champion. Someone correct me if I have that wrong please.

Dude, take a seat. Robbinsville, Murphy, Swain and Cherokee have all played teams better than anything Mt Airy has seen so far.
Really? I mean really? Which one of your teams have played 2A North Surry, 3A Ashe County or 1A Starmount?
When one of the many great SM teams have played these 3, then tell me and everyone they are nothing.

Really? I mean really? Which one of your teams have played 2A North Surry, 3A Ashe County or 1A Starmount?
When one of the many great SM teams have played these 3, then tell me and everyone they are nothing.
Which one of your teams has played 3a Franklin, 1a Mountain Heritage, 3a Pisgah, 3a Tuscola, 1a Mitchell…… list goes on and on…. These are all teams the SMC has played. Come on buzz jr. Gotta do better than that.

Which one of your teams has played 3a Franklin, 1a Mountain Heritage, 3a Pisgah, 3a Tuscola, 1a Mitchell…… list goes on and on…. These are all teams the SMC has played. Come on buzz jr. Gotta do better than that.
I mean Robbinsville did play two teams MA plays. Robb only played 5 games. So I'm still not sure what your saying?

I'll say this, the closest team to you, that would compare to RG would be Dudley, Grimsley, or another Guilford Co school loaded with studs. Film done this team absolutely no justice in regards to size and speed.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Well BK ER is 6th on Maxpreps in 1A with 12.8 and 4-1 record. Only team above them with tougher schedule is Rville?
Thomasville at 10 has 12.1. Only team with tougher schedule ranked higher, according to Maxpreps, is Rville. They are however 3-3.
Rankings are hard to figure out ain’t they?
First off, I am not on here claiming Thomasville is all that. But the facts are that they are 3-3 with losses to 2A RPI top 10's Randleman 6-0 and Salisbury 6-0. The other loss is to RPI 1A current top five N Rowan 5-1 whose only loss was to highly ranked RPI 2A Forest Hills. I have my doubts many 1A West teams would survive that schedule without a loss or two to those teams. Sad part is Thomasville out gained both Salisbury and NR in the 12-6 and 16-12 losses and had chances to win both games. Penalties and bad snaps are their cryptonite right now. Hope they solve it before playoffs come around.

As we all FULLY understand MA is the standard to which all other high schools should be measured against. Someone forgot to tell 247 this. Go look for yourselves but as of tonight MA has 2 players listed in the 247 database. Rabun Gap has 12. So obviously 247 scouts need more info from MA.

Again, I don’t see anyone in WNC beating MA this year (early running clock on Mitchell for sure). Tarboro is the best bet and I would still pick MA. So no Kool aid here just facts from 247. PS if you go look be sure to change the year, everyone isn’t listed in 2024 class.

Go Mountaineers

seriously I know we go back and forth a lot but…..I hope there are a lot of young men from MA who has the opportunity to play at the next level regardless of level, if that is their wish. Congratulations to the 2 young men who have committed to VA Tech. Great accomplishment

First off, I am not on here claiming Thomasville is all that. But the facts are that they are 3-3 with losses to 2A RPI top 10's Randleman 6-0 and Salisbury 6-0. The other loss is to RPI 1A current top five N Rowan 5-1 whose only loss was to highly ranked RPI 2A Forest Hills. I have my doubts many 1A West teams would survive that schedule without a loss or two to those teams. Sad part is Thomasville out gained both Salisbury and NR in the 12-6 and 16-12 losses and had chances to win both games. Penalties and bad snaps are their cryptonite right now. Hope they solve it before playoffs come around.
Well ER will travel to orange/blue last game of year. We shall see about that. Have already lost to Eastern Alamance in first game. They have done fairly well since I think. Southwestern Randolph this week’s opponent I believe is 13 in west in 2A. Providence Grove is 10th in west, again I think, and they in conference as well. Should learn a little about ER before Halloween anyway…

I guess someone has already said this but looking a the games ahead as close as the numbers are right now and with MA low oowp Robville is in control of whether or not they have the #1 ranking going into the playoffs if they win their remaining games.
One thing about it and I guess I'm being Mr obvious here but the SMC has 4 teams on the top 5 and 6 in the top 10 someone is going to lose 1 or multiple games just beating each other up leaving room for teams like ER & N Rowan to move up into and depending on Robville does one could move to #2 or #3. But with the strength of the SMC I would guess that they still will probably have at least 3 in the top 10.
Hopefully Mitchell can beat them but if not Draughn's issue will be their already low opw & oowp. Playing Mitchell will improve their owp but then they have Rosman & Madison the next to games and MH next.

In the movie Hoosiers, the coach took his team into the gym for the championship game and got his ruler out and measured the length of the goal (basket) to the floor, Surprising his team in that it was the exact same height as in their home gym.

While we all want to obsess with the RPI rankings for home field advantage, in the end I truly do not think it makes any real difference. The field is still only 100 yards long from goal line to goal line. It will not make any difference to Tyler Mason, Caleb Reid, Ian Gallimore and company, the same as It will not to Cutler Adams and his team, or any other group of young men.

Home field advantage will only really effect us fans and how far we have to ride to get to it. Come to think of it, that might be a big deal. SO, I suggest all playoff game be played at the beautiful Moretz Stadium on the campus of Lenoir Rhyne University.

I might have seen a good bit of that game. Can’t disagree with you on that. A few people remember it differently. Bless their hearts 😂
Yeah I don't know who would. We were out so I got to go see it. That was a game of back and forth. If number three had been healthy for Easter Randolph it would have been a little closer I think or maybe even a different score but those teams were both stacked and getting after it. With all kinds of athletes all over the field.

I also was at the Eastern Randolf and Mt Airy playoff game last year and I will say with absolute belief that ER was the best team Mt Airy played last year, and with no disrespect, including Tarboro. ER was a whole bunch of STUDS!

Since Polk is the only 1A team they will automatically qualify for the playoffs. However, they would either need to place in the top 3 or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or greater to be seeded with other conference champs. If not, they would be seeded with the other at-large teams.

Since Polk is the only 1A team they will automatically qualify for the playoffs. However, they would either need to place in the top 3 or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or greater to be seeded with other conference champs. If not, they would be seeded with the other at-large teams.
See and y’all thought I just made smart alec remarks…👍

Reactions: wncbowhunter
See and y’all thought I just made smart alec remarks…👍

Whoa now.

Polk doesn’t already qualify…there has to be at least 2 teams with the same classification within the conference for an automatic.

The rest of his statement is right.

Gotta feeling Polk might win that conference anyway. 😉

Reactions: BK13T-$
Whoa now.

Polk doesn’t already qualify…there has to be at least 2 teams with the same classification within the conference for an automatic.

It’s looking like Brevard is the team this year … but without a doubt Polk wins the 1a side 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I mean only 62 teams played in the playoffs last year top two teams east and west had a bye and there was some o for teams that made playoffs in 1a so I'd say polk has already qualified they definitely have a shot at conference title right now with only them and brevard unbeaten in confrence play but I'm not confident they will pull it off but top 3 is totally attainable the surprise to me was east Rutherford beating chase makes thing interesting the rest of the way with polk still having to play them chase and brevard along with rs this friday

Whoa now.

Thanks for the call out. I did read over that part. Since they are the only 1A, I guess they would have to finish top 3 or with a .500 or better record? If not they would not automatically qualify but would have to have a high enough RPI and be seeded with the at-large teams. They wouldn't have to worry about the leap frog rule since they are the only 1A school in that conference, correct?

This is from the handbook:
4.1.17 Playoff Berths/Qualification
(a) Each conference will be alloted automatic playoff berths based on the number of schools fielding a team in a particular sport in a given classification.
(1) 1-5 teams = 1 Berth (Conference Champion)
(2) 6+ teams = 2 Berths (Conference Champion and Second Place or Conference Tournament Champion)
(b) The highest finishing team from a given classification in a split conference will automatically qualify, regardless of overall conference finish, provided there are at least two schools from each classification in that split confernce.
(c) Any remaining, non-automatic qualifying teams in each region (East/West) will fill the remaining berths based upon their RPI rating. A team cannot qualify for a berth before all teams in their conference that finished ahead of them in the conference standings have qualified (Leap Frog Provision).

4.1.18 Seeding
(a) The pre-determined East and West Regions will be seeded independently of one another.
(b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows:
(1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).
NOTE: The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher in order to be seeded as a #1. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams.
(2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths or conference tournament champions and at-large berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).

Whoa now.

@Maiden Creek ain’t that what I said to start with???
Man scroll up sometimes. Geesh…
Better yet git on back to 2A!! Wait Reidsville was #1 in 1A RPI for awhile.
Naw git on back!
Git!!

Smart alec came back 🤷‍♂️

Well ER will travel to orange/blue last game of year. We shall see about that. Have already lost to Eastern Alamance in first game. They have done fairly well since I think. Southwestern Randolph this week’s opponent I believe is 13 in west in 2A. Providence Grove is 10th in west, again I think, and they in conference as well. Should learn a little about ER before Halloween anyway…
ER has played a tough schedule also and it will make them better for the playoffs. I like their chances to advance to the semis again. I wonder if they will end up in a conference with Tville next time. Both schools are about the same enrollment along with Trinity, Wheatmore and PG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT