ADVERTISEMENT

Tarboro and the postseason

Home games just aren’t what they used to be. When we were 2A, regular season games seemed to mean more and people showed up. Now every game is uncompetitive and the town doesn’t shut down entirely the way it used to on Friday night. I miss those days.
The only games that draw big crowds are non conference games (aside from north edgecombe) and playoff games.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
That team lost to Jim Brett in the eastern finals
Oh dear, God. I remember that game. It was truly bizarre. Tarboro has done what we’ve done for literally decades. Even back then, no one did what we do. Suddenly we are in the Eastern Finals playing a team that does EXACTLY what we do, right down to the pre-game warm up entrance. That was my first and only Viking radio network appearance, sidekicking with John Moore. We spent the entire ride back to Edgecombe County trying to unpack what we had just seen. It’s as if Brett took everything Tarboro had developed since Coach Alexander, stuck it in a bottle and poured it out on a different team in Shallotte and they morphed into mutant Tarboro players. It was mind blowing.

What schools opened that moved Tarboro down from 3A to 1A, or was it just a "mass exodus" from job related events?
We were never a 3A size school back in the 80’s and early 90’s, but we were competitive there and all our natural rivals were 3A. We lost our biggest employers (Carolina Telephone and Glenoit Mills) caused numbers to fall and nothing has really filled that void. The Prep school in town has had some impacts, but the biggest issue has been the economy.

What schools opened that moved Tarboro down from 3A to 1A, or was it just a "mass exodus" from job related events?
NAFTA hurt Tarboro for one. The toy factory, black and decker, and glenoit mills packed up and went to Mexico. The telephone company also moved their headquarters to Wake Forest. There weren't any new schools built, SouthWest was built in 79. Tarboro and SWE we're both 3a schools until sometime after the mid 90's early 2000's, and North was still 2a I believe, but not completely sure until about that same time.

NAFTA hurt Tarboro for one. The toy factory, black and decker, and glenoit mills packed up and went to Mexico. The telephone company also moved their headquarters to Wake Forest. There weren't any new schools built, SouthWest was built in 79. Tarboro and SWE we're both 3a schools until sometime after the mid 90's early 2000's, and North was still 2a I believe, but not completely sure until about that same time.
Thank you both for the details. Understand NAFTA's impact. We lost 7 manufacturing plants in two years back where I grew up in Siler City. Decimated the NC workforce from coast to mountains. BTW, what was the Toy Factory?

Thank you both for the details. Understand NAFTA's impact. We lost 7 manufacturing plants in two years back where I grew up in Siler City. Decimated the NC workforce from coast to mountains. BTW, what was the Toy Factory?
Empire Toys. They built battery operated trucks and cars for kids.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Hey Kidd, I talked to a truck driver today that was delivering to the place I was working at in Rocky Mount - he had an ER Football hoodie on.

He told me that the Cats are deeper this year and going to make some noise in the playoffs.

Reactions: thekidd12
Hey Kidd, I talked to a truck driver today that was delivering to the place I was working at in Rocky Mount - he had an ER Football hoodie on.

He told me that the Cats are deeper this year and going to make some noise in the playoffs.
It’s a small world ain’t it? I posted what I think about this year’s team just now on ER thread. Not going to take up space on y’all’s but it was kinda in same vein. Except I never make predictions on how teenagers will do.

We were never a 3A size school back in the 80’s and early 90’s, but we were competitive there and all our natural rivals were 3A. We lost our biggest employers (Carolina Telephone and Glenoit Mills) caused numbers to fall and nothing has really filled that void. The Prep school in town has had some impacts, but the biggest issue has been the economy.
And the Early College

I actually did to. I was 9 months old at the time though so I don't remember it lol. My mom and grandma said that we did.
I had been in a car wreck and was on crutches. The secret service took them all the way apart. They let me into the section blocked off for local big shots and Governor Hunt, and Clinton walked by and shook hands on the way to the podium area.

Crazyherl you really don't like Russell do you.
I only laid eyes on the man a few times when his kids were in a special at church, whether singing in a play or something of that nature. But you can learn a lot about people down at the Baptist church on Sunday morning. His wife, Linda, could sing. I mean sing, let me tell ya. She would sing "Love Could Build a Bridge" better than the Judd's, and she was more beautiful than them too. The Weinstien family was a picture perfect family, gorgeous wife and beautiful daughters. But, maybe the purple and canary Yella that are old enough to remember, will say, they lost more than was expected. I will admit, Brett is a tough act to follow, and it was prolly a win it all or nothing atmosphere at the time. Either way, he didn't keep the win total up enough to keep the job, and Viking fans old enough know I'm right, admit the truth, and let the Lord love ya

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT