ADVERTISEMENT

Tarboro and the postseason

vikandpirate4christ

Apr 21, 2021
With playoffs right around the corner, I figured I’d start this thread for Tarboro fans. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Vikings going into the postseason? Can they avenge last years lost, or are they still to young? Can their defense hold up, or is their offense so explosive they can overcome any defensive woes? Anyone concerned with the turnovers? So, let’s hear it Viking fans, what’s your thoughts, and let’s be honest, but have some fun with this thread.

I think our offense has played outstanding this year. The turnovers are starting to concern me but I'm sure craddock and company are going to address that. Our line on both sides of the ball is playing exceptional. Run defense has been kinda shaky at times but slowly getting better. I think our secondary is outstanding. As for the east, the only team that I believe may give Tarboro a game is west Columbus.

Reactions: Swo1980 and sbbbfan
I think our offense has played outstanding this year. The turnovers are starting to concern me but I'm sure craddock and company are going to address that. Our line on both sides of the ball is playing exceptional. Run defense has been kinda shaky at times but slowly getting better. I think our secondary is outstanding. As for the east, the only team that I believe may give Tarboro a game is west Columbus.
Thanks for responding. I’ve gotta say, the fumbles are starting to concern me a little. We can overcome those turnovers against the teams we’ve been playing, but can’t afford to do that against better teams. We’ve had a few goal line fumbles at that. Let’s hope that gets cleaned up

I hope we can make a run and get the chance to play y’all. Our defense is solid, but going up to Tarboro and winning would be a tall task. I think we could give you a pretty close game, but think y’all win in a low scoring game 21-13. I have y’all and Mt. Airy playing for the state championship.
You guys are having a tremendous year. I would not be surprised at all to see you guys in the playoffs.

I think we are clearly better than last year in all 3 phases. Just have to fix the turnovers.
Agreed, I certainly think we are better than last year, but I feel our youth shows at times. I’m sure outsiders don’t realize how young this squad is. We are very fortunate to still be as good as we are this year considering the age of most of our skilled players

Last edited:
I hope we can make a run and get the chance to play y’all. Our defense is solid, but going up to Tarboro and winning would be a tall task. I think we could give you a pretty close game, but think y’all win in a low scoring game 21-13. I have y’all and Mt. Airy playing for the state championship.
I hope y’all bring a crowd like South Columbus did in 2011. That was a great high school environment

Agreed, I certainly think we are better than last year, but I feel our youth shows at times. I’m sure outsiders don’t realize how young this squad is. We are very fortunate to still be as good as we are this considering the age of most of our skilled players
If I'm not mistaken we only have nine seniors on the roster this year. We definitely are better than last year imo. Turnovers just need to be addressed. Most of the turnovers have come when we are inside the opposing teams Red zone.

Reactions: Swo1980
If I'm not mistaken we only have nine seniors on the roster this year. We definitely are better than last year imo. Turnovers just need to be addressed. Most of the turnovers have come when we are inside the opposing teams Red zone.
Yea, I don’t know if it’s just playing lack luster because of the competition, but agreed, it needs to improve in order to get where we all wanna go.

You guys are always good and always have a good mix of youth and leadership. Reloading is definitely it. When we beat you in 19 it took our best game but man you sure took it back the next two. I have a question has anyone out there tried to play a 10 man box against you or a 6 4 like Mount airy did. It's not a bad idea to get your LBs to run free but of course Mount airy was big upfront. Do you see that much out east? I'm not sure you aren't still favored against them if you both get to the ship especially since I see you are opening it up quite a bit more than last year.

You guys are always good and always have a good mix of youth and leadership. Reloading is definitely it. When we beat you in 19 it took our best game but man you sure took it back the next two. I have a question has anyone out there tried to play a 10 man box against you or a 6 4 like Mount airy did. It's not a bad idea to get your LBs to run free but of course Mount airy was big upfront. Do you see that much out east? I'm not sure you aren't still favored against them if you both get to the ship especially since I see you are opening it up quite a bit more than last year.
Not many teams have tried putting 10 in the box against Tarboro this year. Mainly because Tarboro has opened up its offense and now if you stack 10 in the box it's a chance Tarboro could come out with a play action pass. As for who the favorite would be IF Tarboro and Mount Airy face each other, it'll be Mount Airy most likely. They'll be favored til proven otherwise.

Not many teams have tried putting 10 in the box against Tarboro this year. Mainly because Tarboro has opened up its offense and now if you stack 10 in the box it's a chance Tarboro could come out with a play action pass. As for who the favorite would be IF Tarboro and Mount Airy face each other, it'll be Mount Airy most likely. They'll be favored til proven otherwise.
Injury Bug has hit MA hard.....hope they make it to the ship ! May have two out rest of season that plays both ways. Big time players! Tarboro Coach is one of the best in the State and i'm sure he has his team playing lights out and will have those Vikings prepared and Hungry for the title. Good luck to the Vikings!

Injury Bug has hit MA hard.....hope they make it to the ship ! May have two out rest of season that plays both ways. Big time players! Tarboro Coach is one of the best in the State and i'm sure he has his team playing lights out and will have those Vikings prepared and Hungry for the title. Good luck to the Vikings!
I appreciate your kind words, but as others have said, you guys got us last year, so y’all are still “the man” until someone beats you guys. You all have a fine program, and much to be proud of

Not sure where your info is from. But Reid back for playoffs and gallimore just sprained his ankle. He's back in 2 weeks. Will need them both.

I believe we will make it back to the Championship game, but MA is VERY good again, especially the defense. We will struggle. Can we win? Yes we can. Special teams are much better this year, which is what hurt us last year. I would still have to lean towards MA winning. I hope I am wrong.

As for the east, West Columbus should be the game.

Thanks for responding. I’ve gotta say, the fumbles are starting to concern me a little. We can overcome those turnovers against the teams we’ve been playing, but can’t afford to do that against better teams. We’ve had a few goal line fumbles at that. Let’s hope that gets cleaned up
Most of the turnovers have came from backups in the 2nd half. Our 1st team has had 3 fumbles and 1 int in 8 games. Rest of turnovers are from our younger back ups

I believe we will make it back to the Championship game, but MA is VERY good again, especially the defense. We will struggle. Can we win? Yes we can. Special teams are much better this year, which is what hurt us last year. I would still have to lean towards MA winning. I hope I am wrong.

As for the east, West Columbus should be the game.
A good honest assessment. You’re right, special teams killed us last year and set up two of their scores. As bad as we played, take those away, who knows what happens. With that said, special teams is part of the game, and we need to make sure we are performing well in all of the phases of the game

Reactions: vikewuf1
Most of the turnovers have came from backups in the 2nd half. Our 1st team has had 3 fumbles and 1 int in 8 games. Rest of turnovers are from our younger back ups
Absolutely! And you can expect that with backups. It’s great they are getting game experience though. I’ve always been in favor of winning a game 35-7 or 42-7 and the backups get reps versus 55 -0 with the backups getting no reps

This will be a great clash of titans if we both make it. I have to be careful what I say because I will get ambushed by the mountain boys but as long as I have watched mount airy they are as fast defensively from sideline to sideline as they have ever been. But tarboro brings a running game like no one else and if they have developed a passing game to go with it they will be a very hard team to beat. I think one reason both teams are so good is that both teams have tremendous coaching staffs and know how to get the max out of the kids. I hope we get to see this game could be one for the ages. I know mount airy fans respect tarboro. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs!!!!!

Tarboro has the most consistent program across the classifications for the past couple of decades. They run a tried and true offense that rarely has any changes. You know what's coming when they take the field, but they are so fundamentally sound that, while you may stop them here and there, they will begin clicking and roll through the mistakes you make. A+ coaching staff. Student athletes who go out for the team know what will be expected and the tradition that they have to uphold. The only downside is that they lack competition. That's not a knock on Tarboro at all. It is what it is. The impressive part is that they take care of business every Friday, regardless of the level of competition (see VA/UNC game). Ever so often a Mt. Airy caliber team can outmatch a Tarboro tradition, and it's neat to see those games. But the next season comes, and Tarboro still pounds you with that same game plan. It's impressive, and in a day and age where coaches will change offenses or defenses year after year depending on the fad, I'm still in awe at the Tarboro T formation. So many things you can do with that setup, and they do them.....and have for so many, many years. I've spoken to many 1A coaches over the years who just wanted to play Tarboro in the playoffs. They've heard of them and know their history. It's not that they or their teams are bragging, they just want to play the school they always hear about--year after year after year. One thing left on my coaching conversation bucket list, for some reason I've never had a conversation with Coach Jeff Craddock.

And I've never seen a Tarboro game IN Tarboro. They've always been the visitors.

This will be a great clash of titans if we both make it. I have to be careful what I say because I will get ambushed by the mountain boys but as long as I have watched mount airy they are as fast defensively from sideline to sideline as they have ever been. But tarboro brings a running game like no one else and if they have developed a passing game to go with it they will be a very hard team to beat. I think one reason both teams are so good is that both teams have tremendous coaching staffs and know how to get the max out of the kids. I hope we get to see this game could be one for the ages. I know mount airy fans respect tarboro. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs!!!!!
And Tarboro fans have a great respect for Mount Airy...aside from having possibly the greatest mascot name after the G'boro Grimsley Whirlies, MA has a tremendous tradition...and we seem to have developed this plan for meeting up with someone from Surry county for the title for longest time, lol...Good luck to you all...hope your injured make it back quickly with no lasting affects.

Tarboro has the most consistent program across the classifications for the past couple of decades. They run a tried and true offense that rarely has any changes. You know what's coming when they take the field, but they are so fundamentally sound that, while you may stop them here and there, they will begin clicking and roll through the mistakes you make. A+ coaching staff. Student athletes who go out for the team know what will be expected and the tradition that they have to uphold. The only downside is that they lack competition. That's not a knock on Tarboro at all. It is what it is. The impressive part is that they take care of business every Friday, regardless of the level of competition (see VA/UNC game). Ever so often a Mt. Airy caliber team can outmatch a Tarboro tradition, and it's neat to see those games. But the next season comes, and Tarboro still pounds you with that same game plan. It's impressive, and in a day and age where coaches will change offenses or defenses year after year depending on the fad, I'm still in awe at the Tarboro T formation. So many things you can do with that setup, and they do them.....and have for so many, many years. I've spoken to many 1A coaches over the years who just wanted to play Tarboro in the playoffs. They've heard of them and know their history. It's not that they or their teams are bragging, they just want to play the school they always hear about--year after year after year. One thing left on my coaching conversation bucket list, for some reason I've never had a conversation with Coach Jeff Craddock.

And I've never seen a Tarboro game IN Tarboro. They've always been the visitors.
Thank you so much for those kind words. We take great pride in the T and doing exactly as you described. The coach when I was in High School was Jim Brett...he use to say give me 10 points and I will win by keeping the ball away from you...thats a paraphrase of course, but thats what we have always done since the 60s at least, maybe further back than that. Thank you again, and please feel free to catch a game from our side of the field lol.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
Thank you so much for those kind words. We take great pride in the T and doing exactly as you described. The coach when I was in High School was Jim Brett...he use to say give me 10 points and I will win by keeping the ball away from you...thats a paraphrase of course, but thats what we have always done since the 60s at least, maybe further back than that. Thank you again, and please feel free to catch a game from our side of the field lol.
I've seen Jim Brett teams back in the day,he run sissor offense and man was it effected. He had his special tough at West Brunswick. Great coach. Russell Weinstein came to Whiteville. He coached with Jim at Tarboro. Then head coach there. He was great coach too. My son played for him 2 years at Whiteville. I've seen some really good football in my time. You are talking about some coach's on another level. Coach Craddock in that category also. I hope you get to play West Columbus.

I've seen Jim Brett teams back in the day,he run sissor offense and man was it effected. He had his special tough at West Brunswick. Great coach. Russell Weinstein came to Whiteville. He coached with Jim at Tarboro. Then head coach there. He was great coach too. My son played for him 2 years at Whiteville. I've seen some really good football in my time. You are talking about some coach's on another level. Coach Craddock in that category also. I hope you get to play West Columbus.
Wienstien a great coach? Lol. He got told to kick rocks at Tarboro.. I wish he was still their coach....I went to church with his wife and kids, he didn't go, heathen, but trust me, those weren't good times for Tarboro football..However, Tarboro was still 3a then, they hadn't been crowned king of the fruit flies then.😁

Wienstien a great coach? Lol. He got told to kick rocks at Tarboro.. I wish he was still their coach....I went to church with his wife and kids, he didn't go, heathen, but trust me, those weren't good times for Tarboro football..However, Tarboro was still 3a then, they hadn't been crowned king of the fruit flies then.😁
Weinstein was the head coach of that 93 Tarboro team that is regarded by some longtime Tarboro faithful as the best team to ever come through Tarboro. Even though they didn't win the state title they had a very good team that year.

Home games just aren’t what they used to be. When we were 2A, regular season games seemed to mean more and people showed up. Now every game is uncompetitive and the town doesn’t shut down entirely the way it used to on Friday night. I miss those days.

Home games just aren’t what they used to be. When we were 2A, regular season games seemed to mean more and people showed up. Now every game is uncompetitive and the town doesn’t shut down entirely the way it used to on Friday night. I miss those days.
Agreed completely

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT