ADVERTISEMENT

Swain Murphy, let’s do the rest of the board a favor and keep it all in here!

Good article from Toby Burrell in regards to the game Friday night.
https://maroondevils.com/2019/10/15/gentry-shoots-for-win-413-here-on-friday/

Also heard rumor that Murphy is brining 413 balloons for them to release after the game if Murphy wins Friday night....

Like KevinfromSwain said “gut check time”. Are we really going to give them a opportunity to celebrate this on our field? All do respect for Coach Gentry and what he has accomplished as a coach but no way are our boys going to let that happen Friday night. It’s just going to have to wait another week! The most physical team will win this game! I foresee a bloodbath on this field Friday night. Our boys are going to leave everything they can on the field and will have a perfect effort to keep that from happening.

Last edited:
I've gotta go to Fontana friday and board up the boat house for the year, so me and a friend are going to stick around and watch this game since Pisgah has a cakewalk. Should be a hell of a game. Looking forward to watching these 2 teams play finally. Never been to an SMC vs SMC game. I've seen Murphy play once this year (Pisgah, 1st game) and they looked good. Was still figuring a lot of things out then. David Gentry teams only get better as the year goes on. Most people on here are saying that Swain should win. I haven't seen them, so it would be ignorant of me to comment on who I think will win. But, if they are indeed as good as people say, then they are very good. State championship good. On another note, where do the locals eat out there? When I go to the lake I usually go by Na-bers, which has sadly gone way down hill or Guaybitos in the plaza. Any other suggestions?

Where are all the SMC people this week? Did everyone get banned? Awful quiet round here...
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me there's not a lot to add or say. 'Dogs are bringing a young team that unfortunately has had some untimely injuries. Murphy staff will have the boys well prepared and I anticipate they'll make a good account of themselves win or lose.

Coach Gentry will not celebrate if Murphy were to win , he will look back on the record one day after he retires , right now he is focused on one friday night at a time.

he’s focused, he’s the best all time. Be like coach

Reactions: Gps62
Are you going to Fontana Village or Fontana Lake?
Stecoah Dinner.

There use to be a restaurant in Robbinsville knights??? It was really good. Had a suit of armor in it

The Italian restaurant in Bryson is good, Pasqualinos. There is also another good pizza joint, Anthonys.

The Dungeon looked like a Dungeon when you walked in.

Huddle house and Bo jungles both shut down recent.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Watched Murphy play this year and their front 4 are as good as they come. Very hard to run on them, with that said I think they’ll keep Swain in some 3rd and longs all night and force them to throw. No disrespect to Swain intended but I don’t think their passing game is good enough to keep up w the dogs. Everyone’s passing game looks better when you throw on the downs you choose instead of 3rd and long. Again , no disrespect intended both may beat brakes off my Knights but I’ll say Murphy 20 Swain 14. Hope both dodge the injury bug, want the big 3 healthy for the next few weeks to avoid any excuses go Knights

I didn’t know. Hate to hear that. Best of luck to both teams and I’ll stick w my prediction. Don’t know who’s injured, as long as raburn and maruigbil (spelling) are on the field very good run defense and pass rush.

Too late for that. It hurts no doubt but I don't think you'll hear anyone from here crying about it, it is what it is.

We're still hearing about the running back in 2014. One Murphy fan blamed the ref for the 2014 loss to Robbinsville just last week.

Reactions: Swain97
Cox was literally the best player in the conference and it changed the whole complexion of the team. Apples to Oranges
Very opinionated statement since he’s your avatar photo. Matheson and Galaviz were “literally” right there with him. Gaige was a great player, hate his season got cut short!

Reactions: BK13T-$
Good article from Toby Burrell in regards to the game Friday night.
https://maroondevils.com/2019/10/15/gentry-shoots-for-win-413-here-on-friday/

Also heard rumor that Murphy is brining 413 balloons for them to release after the game if Murphy wins Friday night....

Like KevinfromSwain said “gut check time”. Are we really going to give them a opportunity to celebrate this on our field? All do respect for Coach Gentry and what he has accomplished as a coach but no way are our boys going to let that happen Friday night. It’s just going to have to wait another week! The most physical team will win this game! I foresee a bloodbath on this field Friday night. Our boys are going to leave everything they can on the field and will have a perfect effort to keep that from happening.

Can this game be watched Saturday morning or is it live only?

Very opinionated statement since he’s your avatar photo. Matheson and Galaviz were “literally” right there with him. Gaige was a great player, hate his season got cut short!
And Im pretty sure your son played with those two, so we all have our opinions. No doubt those two were very good players, I never said otherwise, but only one was ever a ranked recruit by ESPN. Matheson was a great two way player, if he'd been a bit bigger he would have been a good college LB. Galaviz was a good hard nosed back but he also had a great line blocking for him. I don't think Galaviz was quite on Matheson's level personally. And no, I wouldn't have taken him over of Cox, especially the senior year version.

Gaige finally got serious about his craft his senior year and had himself in shape in a way he hadn't been up to that point and it showed. If you had saw him go for 150 yards and 9 YPC against the best run defense in WNC that season (Franklin) you would know what I mean. Murphy scored more points than anyone on Franklin that season besides the 2AA state champs East Lincoln in the 2AA regional finals.

That Murphy team was not remotely the same after he went down, the fullback Roberts missing most of the year too was just more salt in the wound. Anyway Robbinsville is and forever will be the 2014 1A state champs, so it's all irrelevant now, but I'm not the one that brought it up either.

Last edited:
Galaviz was the best and proved it...dont have to make any excuses for him or his didication.

In town for this one tonight , looking forward to some mountain football. Is Murphy gonna break the Bryson city jinx? Really interested to see the maroon devils. I foresee a playoff game in pilot mtn with the cards and them, that’s if Mitchell don’t throw the cards east. Would like to meet some fellow posters and talk a little football. Murphy going big or small this year ? I know mbdfan will be there, been a few years since I’ve been up this way

In town for this one tonight , looking forward to some mountain football. Is Murphy gonna break the Bryson city jinx? Really interested to see the maroon devils. I foresee a playoff game in pilot mtn with the cards and them, that’s if Mitchell don’t throw the cards east. Would like to meet some fellow posters and talk a little football. Murphy going big or small this year ? I know mbdfan will be there, been a few years since I’ve been up this way
Unfortunately I won't be there gdawg. I hate it but with a 2 yr old and my ole lady's work schedule I'm limited to home games for the most part the next few years. If 'Dogs are fortunate enough to make it to the title game I'll be there though.

As for where Murphy will be in the playoffs I'd be shocked if they're anything but small, have heard their numbers are basically the same as last year.

Enjoyed meeting you at the 2017 Murphy - East Surry game, we'll get together again one of these years, hopefully a 'Dogs - Bears rematch.

Reactions: gdawg74
I know we will , threw me off last night , rode over to Murphy to see what I thought would be the dogs and devils jv game. Figured out you guys do it a little different here. Bears are a 2nd round maybe 3rd if lucky team this year. Better next year, 8th grade class is as good if not better than the 2008 class at this point. Maybe they pan out . We are rebuilding. As long as gentry is there the dogs will always contend for a ship. The Cards are the best team offensively I’ve ever seen in our area, that includes the 2008 bears and all the elkin teams. But I think a physical run base football team gives them FITS. Reidsville was a great match up for them , two spread offensives in a shootout. Little defense. Position per position matched up perfect. No physicality just a lot of offense. I’m here to see if the devils fit the bill. They were the ones that ended the bears season last year , not the cards. They beat the bears up all over the field. To the point they couldn’t field a complete team next game. Bout the same as what robbinsville did to the bears in 09. If my instincts are correct the cards don’t want to see that Cherokee boys club charter bus in there parking lot in the 4th round. But I could be wrong, that’s why I’m here tonight, that and the rivalry :)

Really looking forward to seeing how this game turns out, I think swain needs to keep the tempo at a decent pace, if they don't then murphy may run away late in the game. I'm taking swain by 1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT