ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Picks!

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
ES at Robbinsville

Time for the Pilot Cards’s new era to start anew while they travel into the twilight zone of Robbinsville. These two have always had some really hard fought games dating back to the 90’s so I expect nothing less than a good old fashioned physical hit fest. The pressure lies all on the Cards’s backs here; they are pretty much brand new in a ton of ways. Rville meanwhile is a trusted reliable force in 1A ball. They are usually pretty solid on the line and they love to thud you without thinking twice. East definitely needs to make the long haul with some wheaties in their diet.

This one will go either two ways: 1. It’s a barnburner with a win for either team, or 2. Robbinsville wins it going away. I just don’t see it working out either other way.

Robbinsville has sold me a little better in hindsight. East has a lot of ? marks and the coaching staff has changed so much to what it was, they have to find ways to improve every week moving forward. This week they go to one of the harder places to play and will get hit in the mouth. Can they respond properly to it? If not it will get even harder next week. A lot of the time season openers are proving grounds to see what you are destined for, definitely a case here for the Pilot Cards.

Surry Central at Alleghany

Time for another solid old school rivalry. Not many people realize these two have played for decades, in fact Central’s last win before the long losing streak of the 80’s was Alleghany in 1986, and these two played some hard games in the 90’s as well. I was really glad to see this schedule renewed recently and last year’s matchup was one of the finest and funnest games I watched last year, with Alleghany’s late comeback from the dead, which showed Central’s struggles the rest of the year in spades. This year I expect another close matchup. Alleghany is coming off a solid scrimmage last week while Central struggled some with their previous matchups. Alleghany is favored as an X factor in their conference, Central meanwhile is more hard to predict. They have a very solid QB in Jewell and a decent sized senior group, however their defense has got to improve and find some consistency to contend. This game will show how that is going.

At this point i can’t pick a winner here. It’ll be an old fashioned hit fest between these two, like they all enjoy.

North Wilkes at Elkin

The Scott Wood tribute bowl starts another season between these two squads. Both will feature brand new talent all over for the most part, Elkin brings up a respectable JV team while North Wilkes is completely barren of the seniors who won 7 games out of nowhere last year. North Wilkes has some of the most ? marks around them out of any varsity squad around here as they just haven’t had a good run on JV the past 2 years, they’ve went 0-18 in the past 2 years on JV. This game will help to show a lot of what they will have moving forward. Either they just didn’t focus on JV and this team will be more talented than we think as the better kids were up, or the results don’t lie and it will be a tough repairing journey for the Vikings.

Elkin meanwhile has nothing to lose, they’ve been in that same spot for 2 years. This group now is quite a step up from last years team in talent. Their QB runs the option fundamentally the best out of any QB they’ve had since the Strickland days 10+ years ago. Their line has some size and they don’t run anything super fancy.

Elkin badly needs a good start to the year and I think they will get it here, granted it might be closer than we expect.

South Stokes vs West Stokes

Battle of 2 new faces in King as Rodgers and South Stokes heads up West to play UpChurch and the Wildcats. West has had South’s # the past 2 years as the number and athlete edge has been in their favor especially in 2021, that game was beyond ugly. This year it looks like things will be more different than it has been to the nadir of the Sauras. West has gained some size with the transfer of Whitt from ES, that changes their line up quite a bit. South meanwhile has a couple big players to match but not the most huge I’ve seen either. South meanwhile has an experienced QB and some athletes to match, but West brings up a solid core of new skill players. It’s like West has something to match in every way. The South Stokes game has always been one of UpChurch’s finest performances, he only lost to them just a couple of times. I don’t see it being #3 this week.

Trinity at Starmount

New era for the Rams tonight as they host a very athletic and good sized Bulldog squad from deep in the Triad. These two had a very entertaining scrimmage last season at South Stokes as it was a literal slugfest for the entire time. Starmount controlled the ground and pounded them, but Trinity would come right back with a deep bomb for 6 as the Rams couldn’t control their passing game. It woulda been a high scoring slugfest much like the CSD game was for the Rams last year.

This year these two face off again completely different than from last year. Starmount’s the most athletic they’ve been in a while as they have a more open offense than in a good while. Trinity meanwhile is a lot younger in the backfield than they have been. Line wise both look to be about equal in age, Starmount has the biggest player out of both this year, but Trinity is more consistent across the board with their size. They return a really solid RB, so we will get to see what the Rams have vs the run off the bat.

This is the Rams’s biggest game pre September 22nd vs MA. A lot of the season’s direction depends on this game, if they win here they can cruise to that game if they dedicate and find the consistency the program’s lacked for a few years. A loss means they have to fight through adversity. A lot on the line more than people figure here. We will see.

North Forsyth at Forbush

In what has turned into a solid rivalry since 2020, the Vikings take the short trip to East Bend to play a very young Forbush team who is in a state they haven’t been in a while. The Falcons graduated a very deep senior class last year which accounted for pretty much all of their starting line last year which was their strength. The Falcons will be the youngest and smallest they have been in a good while, they aren’t as big as they have been in terms of size. #’s are also down. The Falcons have gotten out of the Wing and into the Spread and switched QB’s to a senior. It looks like the QB from the past year is either at RB or not in the program, I can’t tell if he is or not. Lots of ? marks for the Falcons, who have been unusually quiet which hasn’t been a thing since 2019 for them.

North Forsyth meanwhile has had a lot of momentum this off season. The senior class stayed in place and has nice numbers, and they picked up new coaches with experience that the program’s needed for a while. Coach Williams has them turned around in the right direction.

? mark in this one is who will seize the consistency first and longest. Honestly I think NF has more checks on paper. Senior class is deeper, returns a lot of starters on the line, and the speed advantage is solid on NF’s side. However it isn’t easy to win at Forbush so they will have to fight to get there. But NF did it last year, and could easily do it again.

Chatham Central at North Stokes

In what has become a solid series between two programs who are desperate for wins, it has become a quintessential game for both. Last year N Stokes won a surprisingly easy win over a more athletic CC team, while in 2021 these two played in probably one of the sloppiest and rough games I ever watched with the Danbury Vikes winning 12-0. This year’s matchup has potential to be a hard hitting slugfest. Both teams are way more mature on the line than they have been the past couple of years. North Stokes’s strength is they have a lot of seniors this year so that might give them a mental edge in terms of maturity and leadership. CC meanwhile wants revenge for being embarrassed the past two years. They are in the Air Raid and love to chunk it, if N Stokes can’t defend it then it may be a long night for them.

It can go either way in this one, with it being both’s best shot at a Win I expect it to be a hard fought affair. This is honestly N Stokes’s best option, so I went with them.

Ashe County at Wilkes Central

In what has always been one of the area’s more underrated series, these two teams have always brought the best out of each other since 1998 when Ashe opened. In the mid 00’s they literally played for the conference title in 2006 and 07. Last 2 years they have been each other's openers and they have already been quite a wacky and unique series. In 2021 a lightning storm delayed the game until late in the night into the morning when WC won in a thriller. Last year the stud lineman no showed the game and Ashe’s RB went ham on the mountain to an upset in one of Ashe’s defining moments for the year. This year I expect something else entirely wacky to happen.

I’m not certain at all about WC, I’ve seen no film anywhere of them or are sure what to expect since the coaching change. Cannon was always a deep option dude when we played Hibriten when I was 10/11, but there’s no telling what they run now. Their roster has a ton of JV aged kids on it as they lost a very deep senior class of lineman and skill guys. Their two best athletes have graduated as well as the QB. Ashe meanwhile has a decent sized senior class including the QB returning after a knee injury vs North Wilkes, he looked solid and very poised last Friday. Running game needs some work due to the RB graduating, but if the QB for Ashe can get settled WC might have a long evening. WC’s chances will depend on if the younger line can get settled with the new backfield. Not having Smith really hurts their chances.

Could go either way but Ashe surprised me last week and figured I’d take a risk.

East Wilkes at West Wilkes

The game is being held at West Wilkes this year due to field repair at East Wilkes, so that will provide an edge West needs in a game like this. Last year the game was way closer than many expected, it was even for a majority of the game but East used their experience to pull it out late. This year East is a lot young and West has a ton of expectations on them. East has a new HC for the first time in 6 years, while West has switched their offense out of the Wing T to a more shotgun based look with Wing elements, they ran and chunked quite a bit at West Stokes’s scrimmage last Friday. East has the most ? marks though.

EW backed out of their scrimmage up in Boone last week supposedly due to a mass injury streak after the East Surry scrimmage, they told Watauga’s coach they had 16 healthy players. If that’s true then that’s not good and a bad omen, with East’s #’s they have to have more available kids. But with the time off maybe that has occurred. However with the time off they missed valuable scrimmage time and may be rusty. Everything is lining up against East and they gotta find ways to overcome it, but this week just isn’t the week.

Given the nature of a rivalry game I expect this may be close but wouldn’t be surprised if West runs away with it here. It will get more challenging for the Blackhawks especially weeks 3 and 4 vs two well disciplined 3A teams.

North Moore at Carver

Carver hosts a recurring opener with North Moore. The Yellow Jackets begin anew after the controversial coaching change at the end of last year. The #’s aren’t great for Carver, I didn’t see very many kids on the sideline at their scrimmage last Friday, so it looks like it will be a battle with attrition year for them. They face a very consistently stout program in North Moore who has changed their reputation after decades of being the push over, they are now a pusher theirselves. Carver meanwhile wishes they can get back to that old level, however a wish this week won’t help stop that complex and tricky offense North Moore runs.

I’ll be surprised if this one’s close.

Walkertown at Atkins

Camels open a new era tonight as they have a new HC (never knew what happened to Hamlin, he was a good dude though.) They welcome in Walkertown from just a little ways down the road for what has turned into a recurring series. Last few games haven’t been close as Walkertown’s won them solidly (Atkins hasn’t won since 2017 when they both joined the WPAC, wow feels not so long ago.) I don’t expect that to change as the Pack still has some solid lineman and speedsters despite losing a few to transfers. HC is settled now and has the kids bought in, I don’t expect anything crazy. Atkins will have the #”s edge but time will tell if that will help. This is one of Atkins’s few chances for a win so they gotta bring it here, I just don’t see it.

Bishop, WS Prep are off

This will be only the second time East has played Robbinsville going back to 1980.
The other time was 1999.
Far west north Carolina sports has a nice write up on this game.

Massy pick East by 14
Simmons pick East by 4
ACT rville by 21
Far West Rville by 4
Who knows at this point.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
North Forsyth at Forbush

In what has turned into a solid rivalry since 2020, the Vikings take the short trip to East Bend to play a very young Forbush team who is in a state they haven’t been in a while. The Falcons graduated a very deep senior class last year which accounted for pretty much all of their starting line last year which was their strength. The Falcons will be the youngest and smallest they have been in a good while, they aren’t as big as they have been in terms of size. #’s are also down. The Falcons have gotten out of the Wing and into the Spread and switched QB’s to a senior. It looks like the QB from the past year is either at RB or not in the program, I can’t tell if he is or not. Lots of ? marks for the Falcons, who have been unusually quiet which hasn’t been a thing since 2019 for them.

North Forsyth meanwhile has had a lot of momentum this off season. The senior class stayed in place and has nice numbers, and they picked up new coaches with experience that the program’s needed for a while. Coach Williams has them turned around in the right direction.

? mark in this one is who will seize the consistency first and longest. Honestly I think NF has more checks on paper. Senior class is deeper, returns a lot of starters on the line, and the speed advantage is solid on NF’s side. However it isn’t easy to win at Forbush so they will have to fight to get there. But NF did it last year, and could easily do it again.

In what has become a solid series between two programs who are desperate for wins, it has become a quintessential game for both. Last year N Stokes won a surprisingly easy win over a more athletic CC team, while in 2021 these two played in probably one of the sloppiest and rough games I ever watched with the Danbury Vikes winning 12-0. This year’s matchup has potential to be a hard hitting slugfest. Both teams are way more mature on the line than they have been the past couple of years. North Stokes’s strength is they have a lot of seniors this year so that might give them a mental edge in terms of maturity and leadership. CC meanwhile wants revenge for being embarrassed the past two years. They are in the Air Raid and love to chunk it, if N Stokes can’t defend it then it may be a long night for them.

It can go either way in this one, with it being both’s best shot at a Win I expect it to be a hard fought affair. This is honestly N Stokes’s best option, so I went with them.

In what has always been one of the area’s more underrated series, these two teams have always brought the best out of each other since 1998 when Ashe opened. In the mid 00’s they literally played for the conference title in 2006 and 07. Last 2 years they have been each other's openers and they have already been quite a wacky and unique series. In 2021 a lightning storm delayed the game until late in the night into the morning when WC won in a thriller. Last year the stud lineman no showed the game and Ashe’s RB went ham on the mountain to an upset in one of Ashe’s defining moments for the year. This year I expect something else entirely wacky to happen.

I’m not certain at all about WC, I’ve seen no film anywhere of them or are sure what to expect since the coaching change. Cannon was always a deep option dude when we played Hibriten when I was 10/11, but there’s no telling what they run now. Their roster has a ton of JV aged kids on it as they lost a very deep senior class of lineman and skill guys. Their two best athletes have graduated as well as the QB. Ashe meanwhile has a decent sized senior class including the QB returning after a knee injury vs North Wilkes, he looked solid and very poised last Friday. Running game needs some work due to the RB graduating, but if the QB for Ashe can get settled WC might have a long evening. WC’s chances will depend on if the younger line can get settled with the new backfield. Not having Smith really hurts their chances.

Could go either way but Ashe surprised me last week and figured I’d take a risk.

The game is being held at West Wilkes this year due to field repair at East Wilkes, so that will provide an edge West needs in a game like this. Last year the game was way closer than many expected, it was even for a majority of the game but East used their experience to pull it out late. This year East is a lot young and West has a ton of expectations on them. East has a new HC for the first time in 6 years, while West has switched their offense out of the Wing T to a more shotgun based look with Wing elements, they ran and chunked quite a bit at West Stokes’s scrimmage last Friday. East has the most ? marks though.

EW backed out of their scrimmage up in Boone last week supposedly due to a mass injury streak after the East Surry scrimmage, they told Watauga’s coach they had 16 healthy players. If that’s true then that’s not good and a bad omen, with East’s #’s they have to have more available kids. But with the time off maybe that has occurred. However with the time off they missed valuable scrimmage time and may be rusty. Everything is lining up against East and they gotta find ways to overcome it, but this week just isn’t the week.

Given the nature of a rivalry game I expect this may be close but wouldn’t be surprised if West runs away with it here. It will get more challenging for the Blackhawks especially weeks 3 and 4 vs two well disciplined 3A teams.

North Moore at Carver

Carver hosts a recurring opener with North Moore. The Yellow Jackets begin anew after the controversial coaching change at the end of last year. The #’s aren’t great for Carver, I didn’t see very many kids on the sideline at their scrimmage last Friday, so it looks like it will be a battle with attrition year for them. They face a very consistently stout program in North Moore who has changed their reputation after decades of being the push over, they are now a pusher theirselves. Carver meanwhile wishes they can get back to that old level, however a wish this week won’t help stop that complex and tricky offense North Moore runs.

Walkertown at Atkins

Camels open a new era tonight as they have a new HC (never knew what happened to Hamlin, he was a good dude though.) They welcome in Walkertown from just a little ways down the road for what has turned into a recurring series. Last few games haven’t been close as Walkertown’s won them solidly (Atkins hasn’t won since 2017 when they both joined the WPAC, wow feels not so long ago.) I don’t expect that to change as the Pack still has some solid lineman and speedsters despite losing a few to transfers. HC is settled now and has the kids bought in, I don’t expect anything crazy. Atkins will have the #”s edge but time will tell if that will help. This is one of Atkins’s few chances for a win so they gotta bring it here, I just don’t see it.

Bishop, WS Prep are off
I do understand the omission ;)🏈🏈🏈🏈

North Forsyth at Forbush

North Moore at Carver

Walkertown at Atkins

Bishop, WS Prep are off
Thank you, Slasher Killer, you do such a great job on your posting on the area teams and I always look forward to seeing your posts. Please keep doing what you are doing I am loving it ! 🏈 🏈 🏈 🏈

Reactions: KW23 and sbbbfan
9-1 to start the season.. wow. Barely missed a 10.

My gut was telling me to pick Alleghany I shoulda listened lol. Best of luck this year KW! I hope your Trojans do well, that new turf is beautiful!

The Wilkes game got me, was not expecting that one at all. Ashe I was expecting something wacky like it, wonder what happened there? North Stokes's 4 OT game is insane, I hope there is film of it somewhere to watch. Congrats Vikes.

I'll be back for week 2 on Thursday. I'm gonna return the power rankings for week 3. I haven't done it in a couple of years and I figured why not?

Reactions: KW23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT