ADVERTISEMENT

South Davidson

If it is this person, he did have some minor success for his couple of years at N. Stokes when Sessioms left the first time. Then poof he was gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Numbers are low but other teams in the state win with like size and enrollment. SD culture has to change from hunting, fishing, working, chasing girls and lake life. They have the people, just need a system of success and lots of time and energy to change the culture.

I dont think that's the problem.
I promise you not many if any places have more hunting,fishing, working, chasing girls, or lake life as Robbinsville does. We have 4 lakes and alot of streams.
Also when Robbinsville won a title in 2014 we was only bigger than 11 football playing schools in the state.

I dont think that's the problem.
I promise you not many if any places have more hunting,fishing, working, chasing girls, or lake life as Robbinsville does. We have 4 lakes and alot of streams.
Also when Robbinsville won a title in 2014 we was only bigger than 11 football playing schools in the state.
I assure you it is a problem. It is more important than football unlike RV where Championships are expected. In this league the new guy better strap up and prepare for some tough Friday nights of blowouts until he makes them better.

Last edited:
I assure you it is a problem. It is more important than football unlike RV where Championships are expected. In this league the new guy better strap up and prepare for some tough Friday nights of blowouts until he makes them better.
The problem I'm seeing here is the word "championship". Davidson County schools have some decent programs, but ain't none the communities expecting a championship, (although it might be nice to win one someday).
No one is asking SD to win a championship. I've said it before and I'll keep repeating it... 4-6 wins a year is a reasonable goal.

The problem I'm seeing here is the word "championship". Davidson County schools have some decent programs, but ain't none the communities expecting a championship, (although it might be nice to win one someday).
No one is asking SD to win a championship. I've said it before and I'll keep repeating it... 4-6 wins a year is a reasonable goal.
Gonna sum it up for yall, no disrespect to anyone, i know several of the coachs that have been there in the past, and this is there point of view im simply repeating, there are kids that can help this program walking the halls, middle school has decent number of kids, but when they come up there isnt enough push to play jv, Hill and maybe one more understood that and tried to work and get jv established and was going in that direction in the last three years and when Crowell was there but when you have coaches leave after one or two years and a different principal every other year it hard to establish any dependability for these kids they have no confidence in their leaders, it was asked to let them have just a jv team a fews year back when they only had 3 seniors and 4 juniors but the county wouldnt allow that, they could have had a jv team for a year or maybe two to get those 18 middle school kids to play verses only 3 freshmen coming and playing varsity, the coaches in the past have never had any support from the two ADs, this is a community that loves their football and a boosterclub that backs them but that isnt enough, you could have Saban come in but with a bad taste in your mouth from upper administration and county leaders than look down at SD this isnt gonna change and if they keep the path they are going by not embracing these kids and showing them they care they are gone end up losing the school there are less than 350 students there now cant take losing many more because they dont offer anything to draw the kids there, this is the only opne enrollment school in the county, but you have to have something to get them there, if they want to do ROTC they have to go to CD, welding at OG, they have a greenhouse at SD nothing wrong with that but you got all these welding manufacturers in Denton and SV and dont have a welding program, come on man. Ok i guess that will open the floor for some rebutles, still pulling for SD great people and some great friends there, rant over

I don't know the crowd all that well... but if they are a pain in the butt to deal with (more so than other fan bases), then they are sealing their own terrible fate.

When is the last time Denton or South Davidson finished .500? 2001, 2002 and 2003. Literally the pinnacle of South Davidson/Denton Football. Those three teams all finished 6-6. That is a respectable goal. 4-6 wins a year.
Those were the John Shelton years. Ran the ball very well and had a decent quarterback/kicker in Phillip Freeze. I remember one possession that lasted more than a quarter. Shane Timmons was on a couple of those teams and Ted Hoyle was a decent running back.

Those were the John Shelton years. Ran the ball very well and had a decent quarterback/kicker in Phillip Freeze. I remember one possession that lasted more than a quarter. Shane Timmons was on a couple of those teams and Ted Hoyle was a decent running back.

Indeed that was him. I couldn't remember his name. He was a heck of a perfect coach for them.

They had chances to get Shelton back as well but went with others and here they are struggling to find a win here and there. Admin has made very poor hiring decisions since Crowell passed and it has killed the program. Hopefully the new guy stays, builds from the JV up and gets the support needed to win some.

They had chances to get Shelton back as well but went with others and here they are struggling to find a win here and there. Admin has made very poor hiring decisions since Crowell passed and it has killed the program. Hopefully the new guy stays, builds from the JV up and gets the support needed to win some.

Indeed. They still haven't to be honest fully recovered from hiring that dude who really effed up and got busted. He was the first one after the coach who died I believe and really ran things down. After that it's been a real nightmare. Just comes to show you can't hire any hotshot and expect it to work.

Just hope they find someone worthy this time.

Shelton came back and was helping hill for the last 3 years

With the cat out of the bag: First Congrats to Coach Springer for getting hire.

2ndly: He does coaching for the right reason and he does it because of the kids and he will hopefully get everything out from kid athletes

3rdly: He understand this will a tough task but he likes the challenge and I’m sure his military background will help

Good luck to coach!

We will announce our new Football Coach tomorrow via social media. Then, you all can blow this thread up telling us what we did wrong, what we need to do going forward, and who we should have hired.
Good hire. He's an optimist. This is a good thing. Military guys don't make excuses.

Congrats to South Davidson on hiring Coach Springer. I think with a military background he will do well. Like PrepFanNC stated military guys don't make excuses but they know how to improvise and get the job done. Does anyone have any insight on what type of offense/defense Coach Springer runs?

Congrats to South Davidson on hiring Coach Springer. I think with a military background he will do well. Like PrepFanNC stated military guys don't make excuses but they know how to improvise and get the job done. Does anyone have any insight on what type of offense/defense Coach Springer runs?
I’m sure he prob run his own version of Wing T type but he may run spread but the spread won’t work until #s and such are up. So will see what he uses

Mmm I like it. He looks like he has a good head on his shoulders and I digged his article. The constant "I'm gonna challenge you," mantra is good for the kids. I always responded to that back in my day too. When a coach truly cares and the kids sense it, it helps change a culture. The Karens and Kyle's in the stands makes it hard at any school but it looks like he has had a good internal start. If he can overcome the stands then he can do something regardless of the record. They need that cultural stability more than anything.

The fact he wanted the challenge on his back at his age is very impressive; it's hard to find coaches in his age range that wants to take a nuke head on. Not the biggest Wing T fan in the world but a solid old school ball control offense is what South should always run until they get a QB who can chunk it. It is possible to do at a lower school (Ie Chatham Central.)

Good luck to South! Will be pulling for them.

Mmm I like it. He looks like he has a good head on his shoulders and I digged his article. The constant "I'm gonna challenge you," mantra is good for the kids. I always responded to that back in my day too. When a coach truly cares and the kids sense it, it helps change a culture. The Karens and Kyle's in the stands makes it hard at any school but it looks like he has had a good internal start. If he can overcome the stands then he can do something regardless of the record. They need that cultural stability more than anything.

The fact he wanted the challenge on his back at his age is very impressive; it's hard to find coaches in his age range that wants to take a nuke head on. Not the biggest Wing T fan in the world but a solid old school ball control offense is what South should always run until they get a QB who can chunk it. It is possible to do at a lower school (Ie Chatham Central.)

Good luck to South! Will be pulling for them.
+1 …. Couldn’t of said it any better.

I had heard this guy hasn't had the cleanest of slates and has bounced around alot. Be curious to see what happened with this one.

I had heard this guy hasn't had the cleanest of slates and has bounced around alot. Be curious to see what happened with this one.
Yes he has moved around a lot for a assistant but He was looking for the right gig ..... He gotten experience at HS/MS level so Yes it looks bad but I dont think that has any relevance here because they would of known this in his interview.

IF he was forced out, I think it was to allow someone else who was mention on here a ton for the job. i do feel like there more to this story.

You don't fire a coach to replace with someone else you want after you've already hired them before the season starts unless they did something to get fired. You also don't bounce around year to year looking for the right gig. That shows a lack of stability hence why you land a head coaching job at a South Davidson as opposed to let's say a Black Mountain(since that one is open).

You don't fire a coach to replace with someone else you want after you've already hired them unless they did something to get fired.
Oh come on now , we have seen people get forced out for one reason or another. Also We have seen shade stuff done in many cases in NC and other states, Hell in AZ i have have seen a coach (a state championship HC who won multiple titles) get forced out just so they could make a change to bring in a different coach so dont tell me that because I have SEEN it happen.

Also If the Admin had enough push back n the political agenda that does existence at SD/the community I could see that happen in which they wanted the other guy to be hired and so they did whatever to make it happen (Now this just speculation but It does sound like he was FORCED out for whatever reason)

I seen also in AZ : One school had parents say they would revolt if a specific HC wasn't hired , they did hire that said coach (it was the right move n hire but just show u it can happen that parents sometimes run the asylum)

If politics were a factor then it probably would have happened in the hiring process and not after a candidate was hired and announced while already hitting the ground I assume in working with the kids toward next season. We know South is a crapshow and has been but I would like to think there isn't that much bullcrap there.

I don't think neither in this situation where a good fit for each other to begin with.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
If politics were a factor then it probably would have happened in the hiring process and not after a candidate was hired and announced while already hitting the ground I assume in working with the kids toward next season. We know South is a crapshow and has been but I would like to think there isn't that much bullcrap there.

I don't think neither in this situation where a good fit for each other to begin with.
like they say - there a first time for everything or my personal fav - Shit Happens

I will agree maybe this wasn't the best fit but still like i said there more to the story n i do believe political is involved one way or another bc again why would u fire a coach (Yes given a first time HC but does it for the right reason n all) after all this n all i said they would known about his history or past before the hire him so

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT