ADVERTISEMENT

South Davidson

South parents and others wouldn't allow this to happen imo
It isn't really a good idea. South is a very large district and it would be a real hardship on the kids way down in Healing Springs to drive up to Thomasville every day.

I guess I was just trying to put the shoe on the other foot.
I keep hearing "redistrict, redistrict"... but also "not me". That's all over the county, not just one area.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Hanner is a good coach. Did good things at East the first time and has them back where they should want to be now. Upsetting Tville and finishing good enough for playoffs is something East fans couldn't dream of long ago. East was really good back in the 60s but fell off big time. Same with Central in the 70s.

Tville has the best tradition and success with 8 state titles. Lexington has old tradition and success that needs revitalized with multitudes of titles themselves. North is a good program with 2 state titles (66 area and 75 NCHSAA) but not expected to contend for State year after year because of overall team speed. Even transfers from Lexington don't change that.

Ledford, West, East and Central have all had good periods and all fall off the map most of the time for a good while. Then rise again for a few years but nothing consistent in their history. Ledford benefited greatly starting in the 90s and up to recently from getting kids that should be at Tville. That's why Ledford has been more consistent especially since Coach Cline went there and changed the culture in the 90s. But nobody talked about Ledford being a threat for State even as a 3A school playing 2A. Because they had big brother to deal with and as the record shows that is too much for them to handle... 44-6-1.

South is South. A winning season as Denton back in the 70s and a few years that ended 6-6. No playoff wins. Toughest job in the state. But I believe with an attitude change actually a sleeping giant. Get a few kids from East, Central and West and keep the kids from private school and South all of a sudden is VERY different. But that takes a HUGE culture change and most coaches leave too soon for it to happen.

Oak Grove is the new school. Nuff said. They will have a strong tradition in the future and are off to a good start with a conference title and playoff win. Problem is they've lost 2 playoff games to ND. And I know they hate it, especially the Midway people... OG will be just fine though. Parents want to send their kids there and will find ways to make that happen. Rightfully or wrongfully...

Reactions: Slasher Killer
In yall opinion is South Davidson the hardest job in NC over say North Iredell or a Paquotank which is very similar to SD n Thing with Paquotank they have Camden co HS across county line and Northeastern in the city limit to deal with - Paquotank was set up to fail like SD esp due Location n other things (My good friend is the current HC at Paquotank n we were talking about this)

South Davidson has many reasons for being hard. All of which have been gone over. The biggest thing is the one nobody talks about. Except behind closed doors.

Reactions: ocdavis31
We certainly will not. You can forget closure I can assure you.
I don’t expect that either. But as long as the political power is concentrated in the north part of Davidson County, I wouldn’t be assured of anything. Everybody else (including Thomasville and Lexington) aren’t factors in most decisions.

Reactions: Wow71
Numbers are low but other teams in the state win with like size and enrollment. SD culture has to change from hunting, fishing, working, chasing girls and lake life. They have the people, just need a system of success and lots of time and energy to change the culture.

Paquotank was set up to fail like SD esp due Location n other things (My good friend is the current HC at Paquotank n we were talking about this)
That is some South Davidson level thinking that your friend has... SD wasn't set up to fail. If that were the intent, they wouldn't have added Silver Valley when they replaced Denton High School.
It is a tough position. Coaches are inclined to go to an easier set up.

I do not agree with the fact that SD isn't allowing an non-staff member to head coach. Yes, that is not ideal... but they need the best possible candidate.
I don't agree with the that you can't win at South. Tough? yes.

Reactions: WASSUP54
That is some South Davidson level thinking that your friend has... SD wasn't set up to fail. If that were the intent, they wouldn't have added Silver Valley when they replaced Denton High School.
It is a tough position. Coaches are inclined to go to an easier set up.

I do not agree with the fact that SD isn't allowing an non-staff member to head coach. Yes, that is not ideal... but they need the best possible candidate.
I don't agree with the that you can't win at South. Tough? yes.
Same admin involved in all the bad hires after Crowell passed is in the process. SD is doomed until he is out of the picture. Stick with Hill or give it to the wrestling HC.

Last edited:
Agreed. He isn't at all afraid of a challenge. He's a winner!

That's what South needs when it comes down to it. They had it with the guy who went .500 those years but he left and they haven't had anything close since.

They just need to stay away from hotshots from top programs and find someone who's tough and can handle the crowd. Karen's can ruin even rough programs.

That's what South needs when it comes down to it. They had it with the guy who went .500 those years but he left and they haven't had anything close since.

They just need to stay away from hotshots from top programs and find someone who's tough and can handle the crowd. Karen's can ruin even rough programs.
I don't know the crowd all that well... but if they are a pain in the butt to deal with (more so than other fan bases), then they are sealing their own terrible fate.

When is the last time Denton or South Davidson finished .500? 2001, 2002 and 2003. Literally the pinnacle of South Davidson/Denton Football. Those three teams all finished 6-6. That is a respectable goal. 4-6 wins a year.

Last edited:
Maxpreps only goes back to 2004 but to give it some context since 2004
I don't know the crowd all that well... but if they are a pain in the butt to deal with (more so than other fan bases), then they are sealing their own terrible fate.

When is the last time Denton or South Davidson finished .500? I have a feeling it might have been well over 30 years ago. I need to look and see if I can find that data.
South Davidson is 26-171 Overall (0-5 playoffs) (7-62 in Non conference/19-104 in conference) https://www.maxpreps.com/nc/denton/south-davidson-wildcats/football/schedule/all-time/

After watching what East Surry did to Reidsville and Tarboro that ONE year, everyone thinks its possible. Year in and year out, most all small schools do not have the "salad eaters" or the "buffet boys" to get that done...

If I think its the guy i know then YOU ARE GETTING a great hire. He doing it for the right reasons and he will work hard. idk if he will run a "spread" but if he does , I'm sure he will have the right coaches in place to make it happen. He has a lot of work to do so HOPEFULLY he isnt there just for 2-3 years , he need be there more for like 4-7 years if any true change happens

If I think its the guy i know then YOU ARE GETTING a great hire. He doing it for the right reasons and he will work hard. idk if he will run a "spread" but if he does , I'm sure he will have the right coaches in place to make it happen. He has a lot of work to do so HOPEFULLY he isnt there just for 2-3 years , he need be there more for like 4-7 years if any true change happens
Good for the Wildcats and time will tell. Best wishes and I hope those "positions" suddenly become open. Only one coach on staff as of today.

Good for the Wildcats and time will tell. Best wishes and I hope those "positions" suddenly become open. Only one coach on staff as of today.
WOW I didnt know they only had 1 coach but I am sure the "NEW" HC will get guys on board I'm sure. Maybe the Wrestling coach will n stay involved as he seem to be a very good asset to the SD community and school.

WOW I didnt know they only had 1 coach but I am sure the "NEW" HC will get guys on board I'm sure. Maybe the Wrestling coach will n stay involved as he seem to be a very good asset to the SD community and school.
He is a good guy and loves the kids and program. SD has relied on volunteers for many years now. It is a very small school and rarely has open spots. Most good assistants tend to leave after a few years taking those beatings and working as hard as anyone does at any school. Good luck to the Wildcats, especially in that conference with THS, Salisbury, and N Rowan.

Are we talking about a coach that has has multiple head jobs at several HS around the state?

Last edited:
Gotta have the players to make it work. Just having the coaches isn‘t enough. Can’t see it at South.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT