ADVERTISEMENT

SimmonsRatings Playoff Bracket Projections

Just curious in the 3AA, wouldn't Asheville be seeded higher then Erwin since they beat them and they have the same record?

Just curious in the 3AA, wouldn't Asheville be seeded higher then Erwin since they beat them and they have the same record?

I think that's where the MaxPreps thing comes into play. Erwin's rating is higher. In this particular case it doesn't seem like it makes sense.

I think that's where the MaxPreps thing comes into play. Erwin's rating is higher. In this particular case it doesn't seem like it makes sense.

Max Preps shouldn't come into play unless there is no other way to break the tie. I know Marvin Ridge is tied with them also, but they do break the 3 way tie with max Preps because all the teams didn't play each other. However once MR got the higher seed, that leaves two teams tied and head to head should come into play with Asheville/Erwin.

Reactions: KM2ASU
Do teams stay in their initial subdivisions after the first round so that MW always plays a W or do they stay in there first groupings. For instance in 3A west if West Rowan beats Freedom would we play the winner of the Crest game? I'm gusssing the lower seed always plays the highest seed still available. Would West Rowan ever play teams from the other subsections prior to the Western Championship?

Do teams stay in their initial subdivisions after the first round so that MW always plays a W or do they stay in there first groupings. For instance in 3A west if West Rowan beats Freedom would we play the winner of the Crest game? I'm gusssing the lower seed always plays the highest seed still available. Would West Rowan ever play teams from the other subsections prior to the Western Championship?

It's set up where West would never meet West if the brackets hold true to form, however if there are upsets you could face someone in your pod.

Brian,
You show McMichael as the last team in, shouldn't it be Hunt. Reasoning is: all the 3 win teams have the same record 3-7 so head to head is out, winning percentage is out since they are all the same, so it would go to MaxPreps rankings in which Hunt has the lowest of all 3 win teams at 59, McMichael is at 67. So wouldn't this make Hunt the last team in.
Thanks for all the work you put into this as well as the weekly spreads.

I'm confused. When is using maxpreps as the tiebreaker appropriate? Why is there a coin flip for Burns, Crest and KM?

My understanding of the seeding process appears to be different from Simmons, however it is likely that he is right. He shows Crest as a #1 in conference in
3A and KM as #1 in conference in 3AA. I thought that they recognized #1 in 2A/3A split conferences (such as HH and SP), but not within 3A. With this setup a conference could get 4 teams as #1 in their conference. I am sure that he is right but not the way that I understood it.

Brian,
You show McMichael as the last team in, shouldn't it be Hunt. Reasoning is: all the 3 win teams have the same record 3-7 so head to head is out, winning percentage is out since they are all the same, so it would go to MaxPreps rankings in which Hunt has the lowest of all 3 win teams at 59, McMichael is at 67. So wouldn't this make Hunt the last team in.
Thanks for all the work you put into this as well as the weekly spreads.
From my understanding; the 1st tiebreaker is conference wins...

My understanding of the seeding process appears to be different from Simmons, however it is likely that he is right. He shows Crest as a #1 in conference in
3A and KM as #1 in conference in 3AA. I thought that they recognized #1 in 2A/3A split conferences (such as HH and SP), but not within 3A. With this setup a conference could get 4 teams as #1 in their conference. I am sure that he is right but not the way that I understood it.
It's my understanding that who ever wins the draw will be the #1 seed for our conference then the other 2 will be at large bids and seeded by their record

I guess it will all clear up after the coin toss. Other than that I guess that we could see some East/West movement based on Eastern teams playing next week.

Looking back up this thread. There seems to be a lot of seeding questions from certain fan bases. Would that be because a certain team is projected to be small 3a. hahahaha.....

Nah, the process seems to change every year at least a little bit so naturally there are a lot of questions. And if the almighty crest chargers are so scary and great this year than seeding shouldn't matter. Don't get me wrong though, Crest is still scary this year even though it's a "down year". I would love to see a SP v Crest rematch and/or Crest vs Burns rematch though.

They were tied for second because they lost to sorry TC!

Technically that doesn't matter since TCR is the 4A team in the split 3A-4A conference. Asheville and Erwin both have one loss in the 3A section of the MAC and Asheville has the edge because they beat Erwin heads up. Then again, I could be wrong which I often am.

The problem is in the seeding Asheville, Erwin, and Marvin Ridge all are 6-4, and they ALL didn't play each other. So I'm wondering will they use Max Preps rankings for the whole tie breaker, or since MR is ranked higher will they give them the 4 seed then break the Erwin/Asheville tie by head to head

Just seems after they determine the "winner" of the tie (Marvin Ridge) seems they would see if the two teams left played head to head and determine their seeding by that. I think Asheville is getting the shaft here because they finished tied with Erwin, beat them, and still get the lower seed.

Cougar90 good grief I know that what I'm saying is apparently head to head means nothing!!

Head-to-head means nothing unless ALL of the teams involved have played one other.

Marvin Ridge, Erwin, and Asheville (according to tie-breaker scenario #2) would then all report 6-5 for their 11-game record, so you must go to scenario #3.

The last scenario would be the "MaxPreps Rankings" factor and would, I guess, go by your Class 3A ranking. Looking at those (which were updated today) has the following:

Marvin Ridge - 28th in 3A
Erwin - 29th in 3A
Asheville - 40th in 3A

So, from the best I can tell it would go:
Marvin Ridge - 4W
Erwin - 5W
Asheville - 6W

So unfortunately for Asheville, even though they beat Erwin (and pretty convincingly at that) would be the one who gets the short end of the tie-breaker. By the way the "MaxPreps Ranking" being used as a tie-breaker should not be a real thing when making the brackets.

Erwin and Asheville both could easily lose their first games no matter what seed they are but if the NCHSAA has this hard of a time deciding seeding then maybe they need to just go back to four state champions. If they can't figure out a way to make it fair.

Who the hell is max preps and why would they ever have a saying in the seeding for the north Carolina high school football playoffs?

It's the website where all teams must report all of their final scores and records before the playoffs are seeded, this is where the NCHSAA goes to get all of that information.

And to be honest I think it's so they can have a "neutral" party in the playoff seeding process.

Reactions: Cougarsfan22
This is kind of interesting. This was updated today.

NC High School Football Rankings
  • Rankings updated: Tuesday, Last update: 11/6/2016
  • The following rankings listed by MaxPreps are not related or associated with process used for seeding the NCHSAA brackets.

NC Only Rating Str. +/-
1 David W. Butler (Matthews) 10-1 52.4 25.5 --
2 East Forsyth (Kernersville) 10-1 51.9 28.7 +2
3 Page (Greensboro) 10-1 51.6 25.6 -1
4 Scotland (Laurinburg) 11-0 51.5 20.9 +3
5 Davie (Mocksville) 10-1 51.3 29.8 -2
6 Dudley (Greensboro) 10-1 50.9 26.4 -1
7 Mallard Creek (Charlotte) 8-2 50.4 33.0 -1
8 Zebulon B. Vance (Charlotte) 10-1 48.4 20.7 +4
9 Shelby 11-0 47.6 15.1 --
10 Charlotte Catholic (Charlotte) 10-1 47.4 22.5 --
11 Middle Creek (Apex) 11-0 47.2 9.3 -3
12 Charlotte Latin (Charlotte) 11-0 46.0 16.8 -1
13 Wake Forest 11-0 44.8 12.9 --
14 West Craven (Vanceboro) 9-0 44.4 9.3 +2
15 West Forsyth (Clemmons) 9-2 44.1 26.2 --
16 Cape Fear (Fayetteville) 10-0 43.0 17.8 +1
17 Havelock 10-1 42.8 11.7 +4
18 Southern Nash (Bailey) 10-0 42.6 17.5 -4
19 Pinecrest (Southern Pines) 9-2 42.1 20.7 +1
20 Mount Tabor (Winston-Salem) 8-3 41.9 24.7 -2
21 Charlotte Christian (Charlotte) 10-1 40.5 15.0 +5
22 Hibriten (Lenoir) 11-0 40.4 4.5 +1
23 Garner Magnet (Garner) 10-1 40.4 10.2 +1
24 Myers Park (Charlotte) 10-1 40.3 22.3 -2
25 Richmond (Rockingham) 7-3 40.1 26.5 -6

Your probably right but damn if they find it that difficult just cut down on how many teams make the playoffs. This is the only sport from high school to professional that head to head means nothing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT