ADVERTISEMENT

Robbinsville stadium

recycled2

Feb 15, 2012
I just saw where the home bleachers were declared structurally unsafe. Will they replace the bleachers or move the stadium to the highschool? I can't imagine them moving it, but I know some folks wanted to change locations when the school opened. The only advantage I think they gain by moving is an increase in seating capacity.

They will probably move it if that's true but then again they will have to fix them for this season. They seem fine.

Robbinsville is waiting on the engineer to submit final report.
Robbinsville HS is working with commissioners to get a game plan as of now.
Isnt this a condition that could have (and SHOULD have) been spotted long before now? And at a different time of year?

Would it even benefit them to move it to the High school? maybe little more space as seem like Big Oaks is kinda narrow.

Also like Whoa Mule said - why did it take so long to get this taken care of

I just saw where the home bleachers were declared structurally unsafe. Will they replace the bleachers or move the stadium to the highschool? I can't imagine them moving it, but I know some folks wanted to change locations when the school opened. The only advantage I think they gain by moving is an increase in seating capacity.

Why would you build a new school and continue to bus over to an old stadium? Oh yeah, the trees... :p

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
Was this found in some type of Insurance Inspection. I just found it strange that someone out of the blue did such a structural inspection. Poured concrete into a side of a hill so I don’t get how it could be a safety issue but i’m sure someone will enlighten me.

Why would you build a new school and continue to bus over to an old stadium? Oh yeah, the trees... :p
Not the big oaks...but the big board that shows the biggest tradition in the SMC that was accomplished there under the likes of the late great Bob Colvin. I can understand how you couldn't understand though. If it's moved fine we'll still be Robbinsville..but hope it's fixable.👍

Last edited:
Not the big oaks...but the big board that shows the biggest tradition in the SMC that was accomplished there under the likes of the late great Bob Colvin. I can understand how you couldn't understand though. If it's moved fine we'll still be Robbinsville..but hope it's fixable.👍

Logic is always easier to use when you are not personally invested in a situation and making decisions based on emotion. Glad they caught it before someone got killed.

Reactions: sbbbfan
We had a similar issue on the home side at FHS about 20 years ago. We had to move home seating to the visitor side and put up temporary seating for visitors for a year, until repairs were made (you can still see where they sawed the concrete on the stands at FHS so they could make repairs, if you know where to look). These kinds of inspections are probably done intermittently by structural engineers according to regulation, so that was likely what found the problem.

Robbinsville is waiting on the engineer to submit final report.
Robbinsville HS is working with commissioners to get a game plan as of now.

Good. Hey, I hope they can get it straightened out so no home games are messed up. But I hope it's also the wake up call to build those kids a new stadium! It and Murphy are way overdue!

Good. Hey, I hope they can get it straightened out so no home games are messed up. But I hope it's also the wake up call to build those kids a new stadium! It and Murphy are way overdue!
From what I seen in article - Most kids don’t want a new stadium bc most kids have played in the current stadium since pee wee so

Reactions: RealStihl
Madison- moved their varsity games to Mars Hill U. last season, JV's were played at home but they flipped sides and put portable bleachers down on the home side track for the visiting fans. The problem with Madison was the issue was known for some time. They had started out fencing off the condemned areas but the problem grew. The county commission declined to give them the money to fix it initially.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
I watched part of the special called board of ed meeting online today. It sounded as if they are working on a contingency plan to play some games at Hayesville or Cherokee if need be. There is a second engineer's report to come.

Yeah they been waiting on second report.

I wonder if the cheapest way to have home games is to put some bleachers at the practice field. Not sure if that will work but it's probably the only way to have home games.

Cherokee and Hayesville is a long drive.
Probably 1 hr to Cherokee field and 1 hr 10 min
to Hayesville. By car

Just had another thought.
Block off home bleachers at Big Oaks and play football. Plenty of bank to watch from.

I just watched the meeting and someone mentioned watching games without using the bleachers. Might work.

Heard some gossip
Heard they are going fix BOs.

A more reliable source said Monday before they get the info back from engineer.

So no. I really don't know anything but I'm thinking they will fix it by the first home conference game.

How bad could the bleachers possibly be? I’ve seen some visiting bleachers that are one strong wind gust away from coming down that are still being used.

Have people been complaining about them or something?

They look fine.
It's underneath that is the problem
The concrete is losing the battle with time.

Erosion, corrosion. I know at CEW you can see the rebar showing through in places. Waynesville and Canton's home sides are about 3 years younger than Robbinsville.
Madison's was built in '72, I think. If their construction is on track, they should reopen this season.

Any update BK? I heard the other day that the stadium has been "condemned". I'm guessing this just means that people have heard about the situation with the bleachers and ran with it.

Will Robbinsville be coming to Surry County to play East Surry the first game because of the stadium situation???

Reactions: sbbbfan
Will Robbinsville be coming to Surry County to play East Surry the first game because of the stadium situation???

No.
Probably be at Cherokee.
Save East Surry an hr drive time.
I think friday is the meeting. Should know then.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT