ADVERTISEMENT

North Surry v Lincolnton

I saw clips of it. One of the NS team (memory uncertain) who was really accurate had longer hair. Just wondered if that is him. They were really good.
The forward Carter Philips making 3 pointers is West head coach. The point guard who could really handle the ball Mason Hawks is assistant coach. They looked ordinary in warmups but they were ball players. Lost in the state finals to a really good team.

The forward Carter Philips making 3 pointers is West head coach. The point guard who could really handle the ball Mason Hawks is assistant coach. They looked ordinary in warmups but they were ball players. Lost in the state finals to a really good team.
I saw every minute. They were exactly as you state. Provided they don't play Friday night, I feel like we have a punchers chance. I've seen none of Norths opponents play this year, except South Caldwell. I'd greatly appreciate it if one of your posters would smuggle me in a Pork Chop Sandwich from Snappy Lunch ..

Guess the winner get to come to Lions Den....could it be our old friends from Lincolnton...
Maybe if it is i can get my pals the Haynes to come.
Thanks Shelbyfan1, The way Shelby is playing not may teams want to go to the Lions Den. Daniel might be the only one who could survive it... About the Haynes family, at least some of them will be there. A few years back I was talking with one of the younger ones. He said that he was a team captain at Lincolnton High and his brother was a captain when he was there, and so was his Father and his Grandfather. To me, that's tradition.

Thanks Shelbyfan1, The way Shelby is playing not may teams want to go to the Lions Den. Daniel might be the only one who could survive it... About the Haynes family, at least some of them will be there. A few years back I was talking with one of the younger ones. He said that he was a team captain at Lincolnton High and his brother was a captain when he was there, and so was his Father and his Grandfather. To me, that's tradition.
Yes sir there still die hards to the wolves.
Kane coached at Shelby and we became great friends. Anytime Shelby plays Lincolnton. They like comming....Kane coached with coach Taylor...so its been some time ago, but hes now back to the family ice-cteam Business....

Yes sir there still die hards to the wolves.
Kane coached at Shelby and we became great friends. Anytime Shelby plays Lincolnton. They like comming....Kane coached with coach Taylor...so its been some time ago, but hes now back to the family ice-cteam Business....
Thank you my friend. I appreciate you being good to them. The first reason we here in Lincolnton respect the great Shelby football program is not because you have beaten us so many times, but because of classy, respectable people like yourself.

I saw clips of it. One of the NS team (memory uncertain) who was really accurate had longer hair. Just wondered if that is him. They were really good.
Back in my day (not as long as Mr. Lincolnton's) a group of Surry and Stokes kids would always play pickup basketball together. They didn't look athletic, but were so fundamentally sound that they would win most all the games they played against some good competition. Respect! They were a joy to watch. You also had the Kinston students, but that is a story for another day. In intramural softball the Cleveland County boys would form a squad and they were tough to beat. The fun part is someone if they care would have to guess which school and I am not telling

I believe Mason Hawks play basketball for Lenoir Rhyne and did a really good job there.

I don't know if NS has that many posters so you may not get that much info. @Slasher Killer would know the most, but I think he is close to the program so he may not give too many details.

I would say that the assessment done above is pretty accurate. North doesn't seem to be the team that is flashy or going to out run you. They seem to be playing good as of late, but there are some games they should have won that they didn't, some games they should have won by larger margins and then no one gave them a chance against East Surry and they surprised everyone by winning. The coach is in his second year and I think the team overall is on the younger side.

Based on what I've seen, If North plays sound ball and stick to what they know I could see them winning by a small margin (3-6 points). If North doesn't come out fired up, I could see Lincolnton winning by 14+.

North Surry is fairly young. Decent size and fairly (not overly) athletic. Since being shutout 58-0 by Mount Airy week 1, NS is 7-2 and has averaged 43 ppg and gave up 26. Very competitive in the two losses, but fell apart late in both of those games. Scoring 48 and giving up 19 during 6 game conference win streak. Survived a scare from county rival (Surry Central) and Led wire to wire n Conf Title game vs East Surry (though it got close in the 4th). Lincolnton comes from the deepest conference in 2A so their 5-5 record is very deceiving. I expect Hounds to have their hands full. Looking forward to the matchup.

North Surry is fairly young. Decent size and fairly (not overly) athletic. Since being shutout 58-0 by Mount Airy week 1, NS is 7-2 and has averaged 43 ppg and gave up 26. Very competitive in the two losses, but fell apart late in both of those games. Scoring 48 and giving up 19 during 6 game conference win streak. Survived a scare from county rival (Surry Central) and Led wire to wire n Conf Title game vs East Surry (though it got close in the 4th). Lincolnton comes from the deepest conference in 2A so their 5-5 record is very deceiving. I expect Hounds to have their hands full. Looking forward to the matchup.
I thought they gave up 28 against Surry Central alone. Maybe I misread what you posted.

They gave up 28 to West Stokes in the fourth quarter. It was an even game after three. I think being a young team they improved a lot during the year. I was surprised at the East Surry score because they beat West 20-0 third game of the year.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Pretty accurate summary. Not many seniors, but the few on the team have hopefully helped turned the team around for years to come.

I saw every minute. They were exactly as you state. Provided they don't play Friday night, I feel like we have a punchers chance. I've seen none of Norths opponents play this year, except South Caldwell. I'd greatly appreciate it if one of your posters would smuggle me in a Pork Chop Sandwich from Snappy Lunch ..
While the famous pork chop is considered fine dining by many far and wide, I feel the Big Moe from Odell’s is superior. Insider tip for Odell’s, call it in ahead, and when they say 15 minutes, wait 30 then go to pickup.

While the famous pork chop is considered fine dining by many far and wide, I feel the Big Moe from Odell’s is superior. Insider tip for Odell’s, call it in ahead, and when they say 15 minutes, wait 30 then go to pickup.
Slowdells is worth the wait.
Big Moe basket and a chocolate milk shake is hard to beat.
Best of luck to the Hounds this week.

Go Big Red
#27Forever

Best and easiest way to describe it is “small town diner Big Mac, but better”

Ground steak sandwiches are are also good. Dairy Center is the spot for those, but you’ll have to deal with the Bears’ crowd.
Sounds exciting! I may call in a few as we leave LTown.

I know way more about cheeseburgers and diner food than I do football. Waiting on that roadside diner thread to open, so I can show my expertise!

I don't know if NS has that many posters so you may not get that much info. @Slasher Killer would know the most, but I think he is close to the program so he may not give too many details.

I would say that the assessment done above is pretty accurate. North doesn't seem to be the team that is flashy or going to out run you. They seem to be playing good as of late, but there are some games they should have won that they didn't, some games they should have won by larger margins and then no one gave them a chance against East Surry and they surprised everyone by winning. The coach is in his second year and I think the team overall is on the younger side.

Based on what I've seen, If North plays sound ball and stick to what they know I could see them winning by a small margin (3-6 points). If North doesn't come out fired up, I could see Lincolnton winning by 14+.

We've changed a lot since we changed O Coordinator's. We were an Air Raid team for ages and had a lot of sucess in it, but we lost Lynch who was our main WR and the best athlete we had in a while. We returned Simmons at RB who's played for 4 years and he wanted to lead the offense and we let him. Nothing over-complicated. It's the first team I've seen us have in a long that that's had true balance intentionally. Our QB's a junior who played on JV for two years and built his experience up. He hadn't played much until he got to us. The other QB of the age group transferred out and we started him to end last year. WR core's full of juniors as is the line. Junior class won the JV title last year. East played us closest in that season. This year's team won behind the defense on JV, they will be up next year.

Defense has came a long way, it's been a challenge for us the past few years. Last year we had no size in the older kids and it's why we blew so many wins. The returning seniors and the juniors lifted really hard and dedicated and it made a difference. It also helped we got one of our best defenders back he didn't play last year. It took 5 games but defense has found it's way especially compared to the past few years. Last week's one of the best games I've seen the varsity play on that end in years, we got our breaks due to those 4th down stops. Those were big because East loved to break our will on those plays, they didn't this time.

To be honest we are ahead of my expectations a bit. The seniors really stepped it up this year and the younger fellas love it. I knew we'd improve and be in the thick of things. Conference went nothing like I expected I figured it would be a 3 or 4 team race, but we went out and played the games regardless of that. I expected a wide open conference but East really rose up this year while others fell down. SC gave us their best effort and made us earn it, we are their super bowl style game pretty much. That was when we got our eyes open and we focused more than they had before.

I'm excited to see what we do on Friday and I know the fellas are too. Last week showed we can handle the stage. We will have a lot of attention on us next year and they gotta get used to it. We will get a test we need. I'm just glad to see the program benefiting from all the hard work the fellas have put in. It's been a hard road but it's been worth it. Look forward to the journey ahead.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT