ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA Gives Schools The Opportunity To Vote On Seven Classifications for Sports beginning with the 25-26 Season.

Concord wouldn’t take it for the Kannapolis game last year and it made a lot of people mad. It was the only game all year that Concord didn’t honor it.

I didn't realize many conferences accepted them. Northwestern 3A/4A DID NOT accept them and has no plans to start for regular season games. This is Watauga/AC/SC/Hibriten/Ashe/Freedom.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Is there any update on SB 636? Not too big on political speech. The one I read on trackbill says withdrawn from com. What exactly does that mean?

Is there any update on SB 636? Not too big on political speech. The one I read on trackbill says withdrawn from com. What exactly does that mean?

If was withdrawn from the Rules and Operations Committee and referred to the Education Committee with notion to refer back to the Rules Committee if favorable.

When a bill gets filed it gets referred to a committee that focuses specifically on a certain issue. Each committee is made up of members of the chamber sometimes with background in that area but not always as committee assignments become poltical like Horseface Greene and her space lasers in DC getting assigned to the Committee on Oversight. But that aside. The committee reads bills and votes whether or not to send them to the Speaker for a vote. They may send bills back to be reworded, make changes, or refer to another committee if there are questions that may be outside their scope as seems to be the case here.

I think it is really important more than ever that people learn how government works and dig in to see the inner happenings instead of letting some network classified as entertainment yell at you about what they want you to think happened.

Last edited:
Have you seen this one yet ? Looks like it would require all districts to become open enrollment
HB 793 as written:
https://webservices.ncleg.gov/ViewBillDocument/2023/4180/0/DRH10392-NH-80
I see no way this would go wrong. /s

Sarcasm aside, which counties would this affect the most? We're pretty close to a one district county (nobody goes from Highlands or Nantahala to Franklin) so probably won't mean much to us. However, I know you metropolitan places will have to deal with this a lot.

It's time to call high school athletics what it is, a joke. I say if you have private and charter schools in the NCHSAA then choice transfer should be allowed state wide. Some schools would win some would lose but if you provide a choice then it's on the up and up. If not it's a joke. If I am a county super I allow this to limit charter schools. I would say all kids in this district have a school they can go to so no need for charter schools. After 25 years+ of teaching and coaching it is time to call out charter schools for what they are , money makers for the people in charge of charters and to line certain politicians pockets.

I was told by one of the most respected coaches in NC several years ago that students would be able to choose what school they wanted to attend and it would be allowed by the state. He was correct. My guess is the only barrier will be if the school is a certain percentage of capacity. if the student leaves their "home system" and attends a school where their local taxes do not go they may have to pay the "tuition."

I was told by one of the most respected coaches in NC several years ago that students would be able to choose what school they wanted to attend and it would be allowed by the state. He was correct. My guess is the only barrier will be if the school is a certain percentage of capacity. if the student leaves their "home system" and attends a school where their local taxes do not go they may have to pay the "tuition."
I realize that this is a website about high school sports, but for a minute let’s leave athletics out of it. Open enrollment is not just racial segregation. It’s economic segregation.
Granted, it will affect communities differently. But in Thomasville, there are many kids who are bused, but could walk to the middle or high school (many do). But they sure aren’t walking to Ledford or East Davidson. There’s a charter school in High Point and one in Lexington. Not walking to those. And only the one in High Point would provide transportation.
So, in effect, the kids who will go to Thomasville will be the ones with no choice. And most of them live in poverty, with many having little or no positive parental influence.
It began in 1983 when the district lines were frozen and white flight took hold. It has now become a self fulfilling prophecy. The school system didn’t start out as what people fear for their kids. But open enrollment and an elected school board may be the last straws.
Then, at some point, it will merge with Davidson County, but with no redistricting and no city school supplement. I hope I’m wrong, but I think it’s inevitable and the general assembly can chalk up another victim in the name of parents’ rights (better known as for profit education).

If public education would put out a better product there wouldn't be a need for charter schools or schools of choice. if public education was a business it would be out of business.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Most teachers are working their ass off! If there's not a change in the way schools are ran don't expect changes in the kids education. No child left behind was the worst thing to happen to public education. Some superintendents and principals will sale their souls to meets their standards so they can get the federal dollar

If public education would put out a better product there wouldn't be a need for charter schools or schools of choice. if public education was a business it would be out of business.
Charter schools are a bigger joke than the traditional schools. Charter schools take monies from traditional schools, do not have to follow the same guidelines and still produce squat. Charter schools not the answer

Well they fixed their own mistake.
Which was charters moving up and only allowing 4 classes.

The education problems fall on both political sides! Neither side has done a damn thing to fix the real problems!
Well as far as I know
Not paying for masters pay, getting rid of teacher fellows, cutting the top of the pay scale , creating a 10 year pay freeze, no health insurance for new teachers when they retire, cut longevity pay, ect. Those were GOP led

I dont wanna get to political- Im Not a Democrat or Republican - NOW Even on those Online test they say im a Conservative Demo but I vote by BEST Candidate but ANYWAY - Political stuff shouldnt be involved in Sports - you see it in IL, AZ, FL and Now NC and other states where Political stuff in involved all the time and It ruins Sports

Well as far as I know
Not paying for masters pay, getting rid of teacher fellows, cutting the top of the pay scale , creating a 10 year pay freeze, no health insurance for new teachers when they retire, cut longevity pay, ect. Those were GOP led
The GOP has had a strangehold on the state legislature since 2008 or 2010 with several sessions owning a super and veto proof majority. To blame both parties is simply not possible when one has controlled the legislature where those matters are decided.

You hit the nail on the head. The legislature wants it be a business. It’s not and shouldn’t be a business. Let traditional schools do all the things charters can do, especially as it regards curriculum, and see how long the advantage lasts. That was the selling point originally for charters. They were to be an incubator for strategies and innovation that traditional schools could incorporate. Instead it’s about for profit schools, which in my opinion shouldn’t get a penny of taxpayer money.

Well as far as I know
A lot of what you have said is true. But I worked through Jim Hunt's pay freeze. The federal government has gotten too involved in each state's public education. So in my opinion both parties are to blame. All everybody wants to talk about is teacher pay, but it doesn't matter what you pay teachers, if you don't change the way schools are ran. Example- kids misbehaving and raising hell with nothing happening to them, passing courses without doing the work, and kids being promoted in the early grades that can't read or do math on grade level. Teachers can work their ass off, but if these things are allowed you can't expect to produce a good product. I was a teacher and coach for 34 years and like I said no kid left behind was the worst thing for education in my opinion.

Reactions: btango
A lot of what you have said is true. But I worked through Jim Hunt's pay freeze. The federal government has gotten too involved in each state's public education. So in my opinion both parties are to blame. All everybody wants to talk about is teacher pay, but it doesn't matter what you pay teachers, if you don't change the way schools are ran. Example- kids misbehaving and raising hell with nothing happening to them, passing courses without doing the work, and kids being promoted in the early grades that can't read or do math on grade level. Teachers can work their ass off, but if these things are allowed you can't expect to produce a good product. I was a teacher and coach for 34 years and like I said no kid left behind was the worst thing for education in my opinion.
Nah this is a republican issue. Republicans have super majorities in NC and have controlled politics in NC for decades. This is a power play for issues on the 1A level. Charters, privates, nor parochials should be allowed to play with public schools.

When forced busing was stopped it doomed education in NC. When the breakdown of the family occurred it doomed education as parents, particularly fathers werent in homes. Agree no child left behind doomed education. Children graduating and cant do basic math nor read. Its crazy.

The sad thing is that many great teachers are leaving the profession. So guess what this leaves, the ones we see on social media saying some of the outlandish things they put out there. You gotta love the fuzzy math that the state is using when it comes to teacher pay. They shout how they have raised pay by such and such percent but when you dig into the numbers, front loaded for new teachers, who most likely won't stay, and nearly nothing for your veteran teachers. But at the end of the day, R or D, just follow the money.

Has anybody ever thought about getting rid of the teachers that can’t seem to teach a kid how to get a passing grade
That sounds great in theory and there are a few who need to be doing something else like in any business. What do you do for the teacher who is pouring everything they have into a child and when that 2nd grader is asked what they want to be when they grow up and the response is..."stay at home and get a check like my momma"? Hard to beat that kind of apathy. The issues are way more complex than just getting rid of a teacher.

Nah this is a republican issue. Republicans have super majorities in NC and have controlled politics in NC for decades. This is a power play for issues on the 1A level. Charters, privates, nor parochials should be allowed to play with public schools.

When forced busing was stopped it doomed education in NC. When the breakdown of the family occurred it doomed education as parents, particularly fathers werent in homes. Agree no child left behind doomed education. Children graduating and cant do basic math nor read. Its crazy.
There's enough blame to go around!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT