ADVERTISEMENT

MAC confernece picks...

02' .....
Didn't say they could. I said they have to. I haven't seen Reynolds play this year so I'm going off what other people are saying. Honestly with the run game that ACR has going right now, if I were coaching them I'd play ya'll Asheville style. I'd line up every play and run the ball....score....and try like heck to burn up at least 8 minutes of clock each quarter. Like I've been saying for the past four or five years. The only way to beat a fast paced spread offense is to not let it on the field.

Rocket Pride has a good point in his post above. Reynolds corners need to stop giving that 8-10 yard cushion they're giving receivers. I can understand that against Shelby, but no one in the MAC that they will play against has the speed this year that Shelby has. With the style offense that Bucky Tarr runs, you have to...HAVE TO...jam those receivers and mess up the timing of the routes to have any success. That and pressure the QB.

Good points. I will say if you pressure Ferguson he is a lot faster than people think. He is nothing like Dowdle, but very dangerous on the ground too.

From the way their offensive line looks that would be a great game plan for them. They have a huge line and great backs.

I was comparing the two teams in the Iwanna as far as size wise. Erwin is actually bigger on the line.

Not trying to start an argument, since I don't have a dog in this one anyways but the size really isn't of much concern when you're talking about guys over 225 lbs. The biggest difference is the fact that Erwins O-line is drilled in pass blocking where as Reynolds is more geared towards run blocking. This is a huge difference. Run blocking requires quick feet, low pads and brute force. Like I said, I haven't seen ACR play this year but I'd say ACR will win the battle in the trenches just because and only because of the type offense they run. It's hard to describe in text. It's more like....explosive line play compared to finesse line play. Does that make any sense?

In certain packages they do but for the most part I haven't seen hardly any that play both ways.

With the way Reynolds secondary has struggled at times, I'm surprised they don't use some of their offensive skill guys on defense.

Due to the Rain that is predicted on Friday, Asheville and Carver are playing tomorrow at 7:30pm.

Can't wait til Friday! I know we're the underdogs, but I hope we figure out a way to stop Dowdle! All in all I hope for a injury free game that allows both teams to make a better run come playoff time! Just a side note: Simmons ratings has our strength of schedule at #1 in 3a and #7 overall. Hope this pays off come playoff time!

Due to the Rain that is predicted on Friday, Asheville and Carver are playing tomorrow at 7:30pm.

I heard it was a start time of 7. That means there will be an even bigger crowd at the Erwin-Reynolds game Friday.

So if I'm understanding, Asheville carver is tomorrow at 7 and Erwin Reynolds is still Friday at 7:30? If that's true the entire Asheville coaching staff will be at the game Friday.

So if I'm understanding, Asheville carver is tomorrow at 7 and Erwin Reynolds is still Friday at 7:30? If that's true the entire Asheville coaching staff will be at the game Friday.
Lol think that's what they trying to do, since past years this week is our bye week and coaches go watch this game

Asheville game is at 7:30

Was told from about as reliable of a source that you can get that game start is at 7. Doesn't really matter, there will probably be about 50 Asheville fans there with the distance and it getting moved to Thursday.

I hope we can get at least a decent crowd, but more importantly a win. This is a scary game as it is, playing it on Thursday could have a negative effect

I don't think it'll mess us up too bad. Asheville city has a teacher work day Friday so it might've actually worked out better. You going down there tomorrow Ahscougar1?

The whole teacher work day thing may work out better for fans, but it sucks for the team. We've seen how that has worked out for us in the past. Kids show up in a Cheetos and chocolate milk induced coma after staying up all night long. I agree with Cougar1 about this one being scary. This game has trap written all over it. Carver may be 2A but they are no joke.

Reactions: AHSDYNASY
Yeah I'm pretty sure Reynolds has a couple of OL in the 6'4 300 range

Acorrding to their roster they have one at 320 and another at 290. They also have one guy at 275. They have about the exact same size as Erwin. It really doesn't matter though. I watched Havelock and Northern Guilford in the 3A and 3AA state titles a few years ago. Neither team had a lineman over 230 and they were VERY good.

Right now 80% chance of rain tomorrow night. I hate to say it but that will really hurt Erwin. That is the problem with being a pass first team. Wet hands and slick fields can really slow you down. It happened a few years ago vs Asheville in a snowstorm. It didn't help that Erwin's stud qb was ejected for the 2nd half. Reynolds was the favorite on a dry night so I am not making excuses but if it rains it will change things.

All the way across is- 6'1" 275 LT (11) 6'2" LG (10) 5'11" 210 C (10) 6'6" 320 RG (10) 6'4" 290 RT (12)

They have done a fantastic job so far! The 3 sophomores have really stepped up to the table and produced.

I really look for Reynolds to do some things they haven't shown so far on both sides of the ball. Hope the rain holds off for a few hours in the evening although it's not looking too promising.....

BD would the rain maybe help Erwin. A WR knows where he is going. Where he is going to plant his foot and make his cuts.You might not see the deep pass has much but the short passing game could really work. The rain might slow Dowdle down.

Rain is not that big of a factor. Wet hands and wet arms and wet balls have an effect on passing, catching and holding the ball. What's true for the QB and receivers is also true for running backs. The real problems for a passing spread offense team are high winds and very cold temperatures. As Appvol said above, Erwins short passing game (hitting guys in the flats on crossing routes) should be just as effective. And they should definitely NOT abandon the run game. Seems like if Erwin tries to run the ball 2 or 3 times without success they abandon the run the rest of the game.

Rain is not that big of a factor. Wet hands and wet arms and wet balls have an effect on passing, catching and holding the ball. What's true for the QB and receivers is also true for running backs. The real problems for a passing spread offense team are high winds and very cold temperatures. As Appvol said above, Erwins short passing game (hitting guys in the flats on crossing routes) should be just as effective. And they should definitely NOT abandon the run game. Seems like if Erwin tries to run the ball 2 or 3 times without success they abandon the run the rest of the game.

That is true. They handed Poore the ball a few times last week and one of them he took it to the house. I disagree about rain not affecting a passing team. Try catching or throwing a soaking wet ball with a driving rain in your face as well. A running team will not be affected because it is on turf. I really am not making excuses because Reynolds will be very tough on a dry field, but it will affect the outcome. Where it will really suck is for the Erwin athletic department's pocket book. This game is homecoming and vs a big time rival. Also Asheville fans would be there in large numbers too. It has the making of a huge crowd, but the rain will keep a bunch of them away.

Yeah, I know you're not making excuses BD. I was just trying to explain that the rain effects both passing and running teams. For us, in heavy rain we're limited to running between the tackles. Wet turf is like glass, and a good running back can't plant his foot and make cuts. Granted, it does suck worse for a passing team.

I seem to remember an old, old, old, old, old NFL film about the Dolphins I was when I was a kid. Coach Shula was making his QB and receivers practice throwing and catching in a muddy pit with two or three assistant coaches hitting them full force with water hoses from different directions. So yeah, you do have a point.

Yeah, I know you're not making excuses BD. I was just trying to explain that the rain effects both passing and running teams. For us, in heavy rain we're limited to running between the tackles. Wet turf is like glass, and a good running back can't plant his foot and make cuts. Granted, it does suck worse for a passing team.

95 percent of our offense is between the tackles in August and December. It can be raining, snowing, sleeting, windy, hurricane conditions or sunny...we are running it between the tackles with our runningback or fullback. MAYBE if its 3rd and 29 we will run a fly route to a receiver, but more than likely it will be a draw or a handoff to the fullback.

That is true. It is much easier to handoff a ball then to throw it 20 yards and catch it with limited mobility and sight. With that said, Erwin has relied on the pass so much that they have no excuses when these type of games happen. There is usually one or two every season. Why cant it be Enka though:confused:..

Pisgah game has been moved up. I look for others to follow. I wouldn't be surprised if the Erwin game gets bumped up a day.

Ahscougar1, you forgot the sweep, that has to be at least 10% haha. Joking aside, I do like ground and pound, but we have to use our receivers more. Jet sweeps, bubble screens, quick slants/curls, something to get Brewer and Drummond more touches. I know there have been years where we've been really shaky at receiver where you can't rely on anyone to even catch it, but this isn't one of those years.

Reactions: AhsCougar1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT