ADVERTISEMENT

MAC confernece picks...

BD Warrior

Sep 20, 2006
This week starts conference play in the MAC. Things have panned out just like most thought they would with Erwin, ACR, and Asheville fighting for the top spot. The rest are not looking so hot. Here are the games this week. What you got?

Enka at NB
Asheville at Carver
Mcdowell at Roberson
Reynolds at Erwin

My picks.....

NB 35 Enka 21...What in the world has happened to Enka. I thought they might be decent this year but losing to Brevard is pretty bad. NB will get their qb back and should roll in this one.

Asheville 28 Carver 24....I really don't know much about Carver but they are usually pretty good and will have a lot of athletes. Asheville can not look ahead to the Reynolds game.

Roberson 21 Mcdowell 14...I cant get a good read on either of these teams. Mcdowell gets killed by 1A Mitchell and comes back and beats Owen handily. Roberson looked terrible all year but actually played Crest decent. Maybe they woke up?

Erwin 48 ACR 45...I am sure most will pick Reynolds and that is understandable. Erwin finally ends a brutal 6 game stretch of great opponents this Friday. Both teams look really good offensively but not as good defensively. Rico will get his yards and will be one of the better players Erwin has faced this season. I look for a shootout with the team with the ball last winning. These two programs have been very competitive over the last 6 years or so. This should be another good one.

The bottom of the MAC might be the biggest drop off from top to bottom that it has been in years....

Enka/North Buncombe- If the quarterback is back North Buncombe rolls by 2-3 scores.

Asheville/Carver- Carver is one of the top programs in the state. Should be a challenge for the cougs. Hope both Asheville and Reynolds come out of this week with wins. Sets up a massive crowd in R.L. Dalton next week. Asheville wins 24-21.

Roberson/McDowell- Have no idea on this one. TCR's offense has struggled so I'll take McDowell 35-17.

A.C. Reynolds/Erwin- What a great match up! Excited for this one! Should be a helluva game between two good teams. Much like the playoff game last year Rico Dowdle and the Rocket defense creating turnovers are going to be the keys to the game. Not sure how good this year's defense is for Erwin without #48 back there. Kid could fly. Looking for a high scoring game. ACR wins a big one on the road 45-35.

Is #42 playing this week? If I remember correctly he was in the middle with Chancey last year. Heard he's missed a couple weeks with an injury.

The bottom of the MAC might be the biggest drop off from top to bottom that it has been in years....

Enka/North Buncombe- If the quarterback is back North Buncombe rolls by 2-3 scores.

Asheville/Carver- Carver is one of the top programs in the state. Should be a challenge for the cougs. Hope both Asheville and Reynolds come out of this week with wins. Sets up a massive crowd in R.L. Dalton next week. Asheville wins 24-21.

Roberson/McDowell- Have no idea on this one. TCR's offense has struggled so I'll take McDowell 35-17.

A.C. Reynolds/Erwin- What a great match up! Excited for this one! Should be a helluva game between two good teams. Much like the playoff game last year Rico Dowdle and the Rocket defense creating turnovers are going to be the keys to the game. Not sure how good this year's defense is for Erwin without #48 back there. Kid could fly. Looking for a high scoring game. ACR wins a big one on the road 45-35.

Is #42 playing this week? If I remember correctly he was in the middle with Chancey last year. Heard he's missed a couple weeks with an injury.

He might be out another week or so. We don't have anyone as good as #48 this year, but the kid that replaced him is a lot like him. He is #5 and his name is Cameron Conners. He had one of the hardest hits I have ever seen on Franklins rb the other night. He sent the kids helmet flying down the field.

Reactions: AthleteVault
Well it's a fun week for me to be back on the board. Got married a couple of weeks ago so have been pretty busy. I think this will be a tough game for Erwin while I think we can score on Acr I have very little confidence in us stopping their high powered offense. I like Reynolds about 49-42.

Did marry a Reynolds grad though so maybe I should ignore her all week out of respect for the game on Friday haha.

Reactions: Packer10
Ehswarriors02, congrats on getting hitched. It's a shame that she's a Reynolds grad though. You'll be getting cut off at least one week every year.

North Buncombe by 14. Enka continues to suck far into the future.

Asheville by 14. If our secondary shows up we'll be fine. I look for a few more plays to be added this week on offense.

McDowell by 7. Roberson can't handle anything physical and McDowell is at least physical.

Reynolds by 7. I've picked Erwin every game this year partly because they are no where near as bad as their record indicates and partly because they are MAC and have been playing out of state teams. They pulled out a squeaker last Friday night to a damn good Franklin team, but it won't be enough this week. If they could stop Rico from running the ball they would have a better chance, but that won't happen. Either way, this will again be the best game to watch in the MAC this week. Good luck to both teams.

Well it's a fun week for me to be back on the board. Got married a couple of weeks ago so have been pretty busy. I think this will be a tough game for Erwin while I think we can score on Acr I have very little confidence in us stopping their high powered offense. I like Reynolds about 49-42.

Did marry a Reynolds grad though so maybe I should ignore her all week out of respect for the game on Friday haha.

I married a Enka grad so I never had to worry about that. :D

Thanks cougar. I am enjoying it so far, but in all honesty she'll cheer for Erwin on Friday. She really just wants me to be in a good mood on Friday night.

Reynolds 49-35 over Erwin, just too much Dowdle & company in this one for Erwin to keep up.

McDowell 35-28 over Roberson, Mcdowell will be too physical for Roberson.

NB 28-27 over Enka, both teams started with some promise but have been reeling the last couple weeks.

Asheville 35-21 over W-S Carver, if Asheville comes ready to play and takes care of the ball then we should be fine.

looks like the average iq in your house just spiked upward lol

It's about time for that Jihad weirdo with the Erwin obsession to make his prediction. I will go ahead and save him the time.

Reynolds by 42 over Erwin because they just suck and my word is final..
NB 0 Enka 0...Because Asheville plays them both later this season so why bother.
Mcdowell 55 Tcr 0....Tcr will be worried about the Asheville game as well.

Carver forfeits because they are too concerned about the Cougars. Asheville goes home and gets a early start on watching film for the epic beat down they will give Erwin in about 5 weeks.

Reactions: ai1015
That guy is still around? I thought he surely would be gone by now.

Well congrats for making it past the 2 week mark to him.

Just my guess, but at the end of the season I am betting Asheville, Erwin, and ACR all finish with one conference loss and there will be a draw for the one seed. I'm not saying who beats who though that's too tough to pick.

Oh and this is the same ole Reynoldsrocks, I just had to start a new account I lost all my info on the original one, so I'm no newbie.

Just my guess, but at the end of the season I am betting Asheville, Erwin, and ACR all finish with one conference loss and there will be a draw for the one seed. I'm not saying who beats who though that's too tough to pick.

I don't see that as being totally out of the question. The separation between the top three is not much this year. Asheville has physicality and a good defense, ACR has a stud QB and another mini-stud RB, Erwin has a passing game that (as we saw last week) can score with a minute left on the clock and has the dangerous factor. I'd have to agree with you. All of us could end up with one conference loss.

Should be a good game. Erwin pass offense will be able to move it pretty well on the rocket defense but I like the rockets by 3. Rico Dowdle will be the best player on the field and that will be the difference in the game.

Should be a good game. Erwin pass offense will be able to move it pretty well on the rocket defense but I like the rockets by 3. Rico Dowdle will be the best player on the field and that will be the difference in the game.
I agree with this.

Enka at North Buncombe: Enka has one very good player, their RB. NB has a couple pretty good players. North Buncombe 23-7.

Roberson and McDowell: The 2 biggest schools in WNC. Somehow neither of these teams is good. McDowell wins because they play harder and their coaches seem to have a brain 24-23.

Asheville at Carver: This one is a little scary as an Asheville fan. Very rarely does Asheville go into a game with a team that equals their speed. From what I have heard, Carver has a great QB and a very good WR. The last time Asheville high played Carver was in the 3rd round of the playoffs in 2007 and in my opinion was the best coached game Danny Wilkins has had in his coaching career. Carver was undefeated and number 1 in 3A at the time. Carver nearly started a fight before the game at midfield. Which was dumb because Asheville proceeded to embarrass them up at down the field and sent them to basketball season. Several years have passed, but I would still be willing to bet any remaining coaches for Carver will want revenge from that one. If Asheville is indeed the 3rd best team in 3A like the NCPREPS and AP polls say, then Asheville should wear Carver down by the 4th quarter and leave Winston Salem with a win, but if Asheville doesn't come to play and becomes too one dimensional, Carver will be good enough to send us home with a loss. Scary game.

Reynolds at Erwin: This is the game of the week obviously. I agree with what Packer10 said. Erwin has a good offense, Reynolds has a good offense. I think Reynolds will have a better defense by a small margin and I think Dowdle will be the best player on the field. I think Reynolds wins this game with a very high score of 49-35. Then again, I have been wrong before and I will certainly be wrong again.

635758013311901660-AshevilleFBvFranklin-013.jpg

Too quiet on here... Lets try and spice things up.

Erwin will smash those puny green boogers into an oblivion. Damien Ferguson will ride into the game on a white steed named buttercup. That way after the game is over he can take the Reynolds ladies on the night of their life. The rest of the Erwin players will head east to paint the rocket red. Signifying Erwin's dominance over that has been program in East Asheville. Rico Dowdle will have nightmares about Erwin for the rest of his life, and will one day scare his children by saying if you don't behave I'm taking you to the Erwin linebackers.

In short warriors roll 63-7.

Now obviously this is a joke but come on this is the biggest game so far this year in Wnc and its way too quiet on here.

Reactions: Rocket Pride
Reynolds will score so many points in the first half that the scoreboard will melt down. Reynolds defensive line will destroy the Warriors in the back field. It will be such a bloody mess that the Red Cross will have to hold an emergency blood drive so that no players lose their lives. Erwins receivers will get hit so hard that their parents noses will bleed in the stands, and their future children will all be born with concussions. Erwin will have to forfeit the remainder of their scheduled games because none of the players left unharmed will want to play. Reynolds will feel like gods riding bolts of lightning all week and then they will receive the ultimate smack down the next Friday night as the Cougars roll in and destroy them. That game will be told for generations over campfires as the night the Rockets ceased to be. Asheville with go on to win out the regular season and the 3AA state championship by a score of 10000 to 0. Statues of Battle and company will be placed in Washington DC to be honored for all time.

Hahahaha! For real though way too quiet! The thing that scares me is the defense. I think we've got to press up a little bit more than what we are comfortable doing to try and throw off the timing between Ferguson and his WR's. But Erwin will get their points. Their system works and they've proven it over the past few years. I just don't see Erwin stopping Rico. 48 was the equalizer on Erwin's side of the ball last year with his speed. Hope for a huge crowd and no rain (just so I don't have to sit in it/rain would help the green&gold this week)

Reactions: ehswarriors02
Many questions this week for both sides. Rocket Pride you are right last year Chancey was the great eraser for Erwin. This year it just seems as if there is no push from the defensive line and I don't know if Erwin can even slow down Dowdle and Logan.

I'm hopeful we can identify a couple of problems on film and make the necessary adjustments,but it's still an uphill climb. On the other hand I know Erwin can score on Reynolds but they have to protect the football. A couple of turnovers by Erwin could be too much to overcome.

Just out of curiosity, will erwin consider Reynolds this week a high school team or was it only Franklin last week that y'all considered being "like a middle school team" since you guys played those Tennessee teams? And if y'all were one play away from losing to that "middle school team", would that make you guys a middle school team too?

I've even been told the Buncombe county school board is considering a name change for Erwin to the Redheaded stepsisters of Asheville High. Mascot still up for discussion.

No we are a solid mite team.

Nothing like the great nfl pro bowl Asheville Cougars.
Oh we aren't talking about Asheville high. It was an Erwin poster that said "playing Franklin after last week would be like playing a middle school team". Nobody said a word about Asheville.

Yet here you are pointing out what was said. I'm sure nobody was actually Franklin to be a middle school team. They are a great football program. I didn't get to watch the Tennessee teams but I'm sure they were talented, and in comparison Franklin would look much less talented. Obviously we aren't as talented as those Tennessee teams either.

All BS aside, if Erwin can figure out how to stop the run they'll have a good chance in this game. Erwins secondary is solid against the pass. That's what they're built for. And from what I understand from other posters here, Erwin should be able to pass all night on Reynolds secondary. All in all this should be a good game. If Erwins defense doesn't let it get out of hand I can see this turning out like last week with which ever team has the ball last getting the win.

Rocket Pride has a good point in his post above. Reynolds corners need to stop giving that 8-10 yard cushion they're giving receivers. I can understand that against Shelby, but no one in the MAC that they will play against has the speed this year that Shelby has. With the style offense that Bucky Tarr runs, you have to...HAVE TO...jam those receivers and mess up the timing of the routes to have any success. That and pressure the QB.

Reynolds will score so many points in the first half that the scoreboard will melt down. Reynolds defensive line will destroy the Warriors in the back field. It will be such a bloody mess that the Red Cross will have to hold an emergency blood drive so that no players lose their lives. Erwins receivers will get hit so hard that their parents noses will bleed in the stands, and their future children will all be born with concussions. Erwin will have to forfeit the remainder of their scheduled games because none of the players left unharmed will want to play. Reynolds will feel like gods riding bolts of lightning all week and then they will receive the ultimate smack down the next Friday night as the Cougars roll in and destroy them. That game will be told for generations over campfires as the night the Rockets ceased to be. Asheville with go on to win out the regular season and the 3AA state championship by a score of 10000 to 0. Statues of Battle and company will be placed in Washington DC to be honored for all time.
Nice.

Rocket Pride has a good point in his post above. Reynolds corners need to stop giving that 8-10 yard cushion they're giving receivers. I can understand that against Shelby, but no one in the MAC that they will play against has the speed this year that Shelby has. With the style offense that Bucky Tarr runs, you have to...HAVE TO...jam those receivers and mess up the timing of the routes to have any success. That and pressure the QB.

I get what you are saying but they only team I have ever seen press us with any success is Asheville high. You guys can match our little guys with athletes who are as fast and probably a little bigger. I'm not sure Acr can do the same across the board.

Reactions: AHSDYNASY
Just out of curiosity, will erwin consider Reynolds this week a high school team or was it only Franklin last week that y'all considered being "like a middle school team" since you guys played those Tennessee teams? And if y'all were one play away from losing to that "middle school team", would that make you guys a middle school team too?

You couldn't help it could you. You have been pretty cool this year but I knew it was killing you inside to take a shot at Erwin. Since I am the one that said that I will say it again. Franklin felt like a middle school team compared to our last two opponents. I also said Franklin was a VERY GOOD team and that was not disrespect to them. Franklin or any other team in WNC feels like a middle school team compared to Ootwelha and Science Hill. That is just a fact. Before you misquote me at least know what I said. With that said, I still bow to the all mighty cougar!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT