ADVERTISEMENT

Hough at Grimsley - 4th Round

Charlotte vs Charlotte metro -- two separate things.

If you're not from Charlotte or familiar with the area, then you're probably thinking the city. I would not say Weddington is in Charlotte.

If you're from Charlotte or familiar with the area, then you're probably at least a bit familiar with Charlotte metro. I would say Weddington is definitely part of the Charlotte metro. Geographically, it's a pretty large area.

Charlotte vs Charlotte metro -- two separate things.

If you're not from Charlotte or familiar with the area, then you're probably thinking the city. I would not say Weddington is in Charlotte.

If you're from Charlotte or familiar with the area, then you're probably at least a bit familiar with Charlotte metro. I would say Weddington is definitely part of the Charlotte metro. Geographically, it's a pretty large area.
This is correct. I will add that I never said Weddington HS is in Charlotte, I said it was considered "Charlotte area" because its close to Charlotte, part of the Charlotte Metro, and a suburb of Charlotte.

I was born in Connecticut, about 45 minutes northeast of New York City, so I know a thing or two about Metro areas. I also have lived in Charlotte for 2 years, when I attended UNC Charlotte, before I moved back to Greensboro and finished my B.S. at UNC Greensboro.

This is correct. I will add that I never said Weddington HS is in Charlotte, I said it was considered "Charlotte area" because its close to Charlotte, part of the Charlotte Metro, and a suburb of Charlotte.

I was born in Connecticut, about 45 minutes northeast of New York City, so I know a thing or two about Metro areas. I also have lived in Charlotte for 2 years, when I attended UNC Charlotte, before I moved back to Greensboro and finished my B.S. at UNC Greensboro.
You're definitely right. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. Just thought that's where people were getting hung up.

Reactions: PagePirates44
This inquiry was intended for you, Mister Pirate, and I felt you may have a few ties to Charlotte somewhere down the line.
Yeah, I figured. I do have some ties to the Charlotte area as noted above, but for a very large portion of my life I've lived and grew up in Greensboro.

Weddington is close to Charlotte and is a Charlotte Suburb. Reidsville isn't nearly as close to Greensboro and is its own Town that is not a Greensboro Suburb. Weddington is part of the Charlotte Metro area, Reidsville is not part of the Greensboro/Piedmont Triad Metro area. You're comparing apples to oranges now.
I am from Reidsville as a player, teacher and coach. It’s closer to Danville, Va. As far as media coverage, we certainly belong to Greensboro. Just look at N&R and local TV coverage.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
GSO
Geeez-oh-Weezzzz. Wats ah-hatning in hear my cousin.
I remember GSO when you use to drop some nuggets about the Guilford clan. Then you met me on here GSO, i'd say it was 2007. You followed and studied me for some time and one day you made your announcement "Swett2victory for Governor". I agreed and my name suddenly became Governor Purnell. I felt the most famous when you took me to that joint up younder and introduced me to them Southern Pines rich golfing broads dancing around a pole. Yet, to this day I have not seen any one of your goats which has been my prorities.

We have been out of touch for the past two yeers cause COVID-19 and Ive been dranking likker. Since then, you have thrown me to the wolfes and you have attracted and made friends with these Metropolitan suburb STRANGERS like Mr. Pirate and Mr. Honda. Nepsy7 is a close next candidate. You certainly have his attention.

Anyhow, to get back to this border, claiming another near by school thang. I live in Pembroke which is home to my mighty Purnell Swett Rams. So since the trees and the people and the twang on the border is the same as Lawnburg GSO, I claim the Fighting Scots. Scotland high is 7.5 miles from the closest Robeson County Line or 10mins....which ever way you wants to look at it. so they part of me GSO. When they win, I win and when we lose and they win, I win. Yeah I claim them

Last edited:
I am from Reidsville as a player, teacher and coach. It’s closer to Danville, Va. As far as media coverage, we certainly belong to Greensboro. Just look at N&R and local TV coverage.

Yeah, I mean, I guess Reidsville is close enough to be considered "Greensboro area."

The way I look at it.. Greensboro is like a mini Charlotte, the two cities actually have quite a bit in common. Call it I-85 kin. And I also consider Charlotte to be a mini Atlanta. Still part of the I-85 Family. :)
High Point =/= Kannapolis/Concord
Reidsville =/= Mooresville
Burlington =/= Gastonia, Belmont =/= Elon, Mebane =/= Kings Mountain
Summerfield/Oak Ridge/Stokesdale =/= Matthews/Mint Hill/Weddington

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
How is the renown distributed throughout Mecklenburg County, given that Charlotte is verbally & geographically claiming Weddington, IF they are to win it all?

How is the renown distributed throughout Mecklenburg County, given that Charlotte is verbally & geographically claiming Weddington, IF they are to win it all?
I have always considered Weddington a Charlotte "area" school but not "a" Charlotte school. Never really considered Weddington a town the way I do Belmont, where South Point is located, which is just over the river from Meck and is the actual border for Gaston and Meck. So never really called SP a Charlotte "area" school although I guess it technically is.

Porter Ridge always considered a Charlotte "area" school. To me it is more like Weddington. Not so much Sun Valley although it is five miles from the line but it is in Indian Trail, a long establish town which is the same with Jay Robinson, Cox Mill, and West Cabarrus which are all near the Cabarrus/Meck border. Always thought of those three as Concord schools.

There are four major privates (The Big Four) and Charlotte Catholic that play football. Christ the King is 1A and located just outside Meck in Cabarrus County along with a few other privates that have football.

Meck County has 19 public high schools with the opening of Palisades this year. Appears Waddell will reopen as a high school soon. Berry is a county wide magnet school with no neigborhood disrict. That twenty and then Waddell when opened would be my "Meck schools."

I'm attempting to understand why Weddington High School is claimed and mentioned in the Charlotte word itself. Weddington high school is also 45mins away from Charlotte. Nowhere close...

Weddington High School is located in Matthews, North Carolina, which is in Union County. Charlotte belongs in Mecklenburg County, which Union County is located outside of. Weddington High School is located four miles outside the boundaries of Mecklenburg County. This school would be regarded as a Mecklenburg County school, which it is not, since it is not in the Charlotte metropolitan area.

Would it be accurate to state that Mallard Creek is the only Weddington-area team left?
Weddington High school is 8 miles from Ardrey Kell high School (one of the largest in Charlotte). It is maybe 2 to 3 miles outside the city limits of Charlotte and Mecklenberg County. Saying it is not a Charlotte area School is like saying Cary is not in the Raleigh area. I have met people from Weddington by chance in other areas of the country, if you ask them where they are from they say Charlotte. also the high school listed address is Matthews, NC. which is in Meck county (home of Butler High School) and extends very slightly into union county for mailing purposes. Weddington is absolutely a suburb of Charlotte. If you think Weddington is not a Charlotte area school, you have no idea what you are talking about. I agree it is not physically in the city limits of Charlotte, but the Nearest Charlotte address is several minutes away, you have to go to the far North side of Charlotte during rush hour to get to your claimed "45 minutes" away.

Last edited:
When Porter Ridge played in their second state title game a friend from New Bern (NUUUBurn) asked where it was. I told him the location east of 485 and north of Highway 74/Independence Blvd and that it had an Indian Trail address. (Even with Indian Trail's crazy annexations over the last two decades) it still is not in the city limit.

The New Bern guy replied, "oh, it's a Charlotte school." Nah, Charlotte "area" school.

As a result, we will change and expand the definition from "Charlotte schools" to "Charlotte area school" in order to keep the city of Charlotte in the picture since they have been eliminated from the Playoffs and the Big Dance. Fits the bill

As a result, we will change and expand the definition from "Charlotte schools" to "Charlotte area school" in order to keep the city of Charlotte in the picture since they have been eliminated from the Playoffs and the Big Dance. Fits the bill
I do not think it is necessary but I would consider that to be correct.

It is a school in the suburbs of Charlotte, it just is. I see it more often claimed by Union County as a Union county school than claimed by Charlotte as a Charlotte area school. Weddington fans have long complained the the local Charlotte media (Especially the Charlotte Observer) do not give them the same type local coverage as the other South Charlotte schools like South Meck, Audrey Kell, Butler and Catholic that are just a few miles away.

PS: Weddington has gotten a lot more exposure in the Observer the last few years.

What exactly is your problem with Charlotte or "Charlotte area" schools? Were you hoping against hope that we could reach a west final with no Charlotte representation? Unfortunately for you and others, due to the shear geographical size of Mecklenburg County and the number of 4A schools in the area, compared with the rest of the western part of the state, the chances of having a west regional final or semi-final with no Charlotte area representation is slim to none.

Reactions: CCougarsfan
I'd imagine GW is still the main attraction in Danville? I know Reidsville played them a couple times years ago, but now you have the game with Page. Then you have six or seven conference games. No reason for Danville to cover those. So, that kinda makes sense, to me at least.

Incidentally, it's kinda the same way with Weddington. Used to be in the same conference as CC. Porter Ridge used to be in a Mech-centric conference. So, those schools are going to get a fair amount of coverage in Charlotte media.

What a tempest in a teapot over Charlotte or Charlotte area schools. Can't everyone agree the West region is made up of Charlotte area, Triad and Mountain area schools and call it a day? I want my school to advance. That's all I care about. I don't see them as a standard bearer for anything other than the West region should they win. I bear The Charlotte area no ill will as a region and certainly welcome the competition. How else do you really know if you have what it takes?

Can you believe you guys managed to seize control of a school on the other side of the Mecklenburg County boundary when there wasn't a single Charlotte high school left to defend?

That's comparable to the Mexican Cartel claiming El Paso, Texas because it's close to Chihuahua, Mexico, and is therefore legitimate.

This world is full of crazy people.

Can you believe you guys managed to seize control of a school on the other side of the Mecklenburg County boundary when there wasn't a single Charlotte high school left to defend?

That's comparable to the Mexican Cartel claiming El Paso, Texas because it's close to Chihuahua, Mexico, and is therefore legitimate.

I guess we should rename our classes 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m like they do in Florida, so everyone from outside Charlotte can easily understand it's a metro without us having to draw maps 😂😂

GSO N&R, Fox8 WGHP, News 2 WFMY, and WXII Ch 12, claim 3 teams in the Piedmont Triad are in State Title games. Grimsley, Reidsville and Mt. Airy. So it's not just us who claim teams as "area" schools. The newspapers and television news broadcasters cover these areas so it's only natural the general public and fans do too. In my eyes Mt. Airy is a stretch, but they cover that area.

Last edited:
GSO N&R, Fox8 WGHP, News 2 WFMY, and WXII Ch 12, claim 3 teams in the Piedmont Triad are in State Title games. Grimsley, Reidsville and Mt. Airy. So it's not just us who claim teams as "area" schools. The newspapers and television news broadcasters cover these areas so it's only natural the general public and fans do too. In my eyes Mt. Airy is a stretch, but they cover that area.
All five of the conflicts the United States has fought—Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Iraq, and Afghanistan—have been reported by newspapers, television news programs, Social Media and LIVE, yet this country has not yet made a claim to the territories.

Does the fact that American Programming Company (ABC) and CBS have complementary broadcasting platforms allow CBS to stake a claim to the Academy Awards?

NBC is based in New York City and has provided coverage of the Olympics in Tokyo. Does this imply that Tokyo is a territory of the United States?

Give me a fresh perspective.

• Haha
It's like they're coming out the woodworks, na-na na-na boo-boo Charlotte teams are out! It's like nobody knew, and they had to remind everyone. What next? People from Charlotte start jumping off bridges over High School football teams taking L's 😂 Win or lose, NC has delivered some great football games thus far. That's all that matters.
Hahahahaha
I love watching you eat crow.
You, more than anyone on ncpreps football, has preached that anything out of your holy 4A Charlotte community is second rate in NC.
For you to now try to take the high road is hilarious and enormously hypocritical.
Charlotte 4A football can and has been great. But so have many counties in the state that you disrespect every chance you get.
BIGBOY FOOTBALL ….
That was your motto.
Your big boys are watching from the couch this year…….and so are you.
Make yourself useful and go get some kid a scholarship.
Then you can act like you are better at that than anyone else, also.

• Wow
Reactions: greywolfrun
I don't recall anyone saying anything about being satisfied with 3 points. You didn't really make a point, seems like you're upset with people you believe are from Charlotte. A great kicking game is Universal, has nothing to do with Charlotte guys, although you're assuming everyone who feels that way, must be from Charlotte. That's not factual. Kicker had 6 kickoffs with 3 TB's
Another Hahahahaha.
Such the diplomat now.

We know Hauser is a junior.
Senior kicker for Shelby is this year’s kicker for the NC Shrine Bowl team.

We will stand by for your similar acknowledgement and praise.
Loving this.

Another Hahahahaha.
Such the diplomat now.

We know Hauser is a junior.
Senior kicker for Shelby is this year’s kicker for the NC Shrine Bowl team.

We will stand by for your similar acknowledgement and praise.
Loving this.
You took time out of your day at the Trailer Park to tell a guy who looks at you, as a fly on road kill, to say absolutely nothing of value. Go home little lady, your skirt is showing. 🤷🏾‍♂️😂

• Haha
Hahahahaha
You, more than anyone on ncpreps football, has preached that anything out of your holy 4A Charlotte community is second rate in NC.
For you to now try to take the high road is hilarious and enormously hypocritical.
Charlotte 4A football can and has been great. But so have many counties in the state that you disrespect every chance you get.
BIGBOY FOOTBALL ….
That was your motto.
Hahahahaha
BIGBOY FOOTBALL ….
That was your motto.
You’re obsessed with me, and I’m loving it 🥰 What’s your dress size, maybe I can buy you something pretty for Homecoming next year. Lmao! 😂

• Haha
All five of the conflicts the United States has fought—Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, Iraq, and Afghanistan—have been reported by newspapers, television news programs, Social Media and LIVE, yet this country has not yet made a claim to the territories.

Does the fact that American Programming Company (ABC) and CBS have complementary broadcasting platforms allow CBS to stake a claim to the Academy Awards?

NBC is based in New York City and has provided coverage of the Olympics in Tokyo. Does this imply that Tokyo is a territory of the United States?

Give me a fresh perspective.
This is high school ball we are talking about, you're taking it to a far extreme that is irrelevant. I even agreed and said what the media outlets are covering is a stretch, but it is what it is.

Reactions: mrhonda
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT