ADVERTISEMENT

Heritage @ Mitchell

I think we all can agree that isn’t right.

Go Mountaineers
With the Max preps rankings being the way they are, i would guess they are taking into account you guys having beat a 3a and two 2a schools that pushes you guys to the top. I don't claim to understand them completely but I've saw Heritages rankings go up after beating Stuart Cramer last year due to them being a 3a team and our ranking go down after beating a 1a team that was better than the 3a team. Regardless of the maxprep system you guys would be top 3 in any ranking system I would think. But using whatever ranking system congratulations still a great accomplishment for a younger team.

Last edited:
We beat Rosman wk 1, 55-7 moved up from 41st to 40th.
Week 2 beat Hayesville 35-14 and dropped 15 spots to 55th.
Wk 3 beat Erwin 3a 35-28 and dropped 6 spots to 61st. I assume we will drop after the Cherokee game Friday.

• Wow
Reactions: 97Cougar
We beat Rosman wk 1, 55-7 moved up from 41st to 40th.
Week 2 beat Hayesville 35-14 and dropped 15 spots to 55th.
Wk 3 beat Erwin 3a 35-28 and dropped 6 spots to 61st. I assume we will drop after the Cherokee game Friday.
How in the world did you drop after beating a 3a???? I have not seen them do that before with a 1a or 2a school playing up a class and winning......unless I just haven't paid close enough attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
Robbinsville was ranked higher than Erwin in the Max Preps statewide ranking, so technically, Robbinsville played "down" while for Erwin, it was playing "up" for them. (For example), even though Erwin lost to them, they still moved up in the rankings because they played "up".
gotcha but still to me at any time a 1a is playing a 3a its hard to say a 1a is playing 'down' against a 3a team regardless of who it is. Just my opinion which don't mean much lol

gotcha but still to me at any time a 1a is playing a 3a its hard to say a 1a is playing 'down' against a 3a team
[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean, but to me its a more accurate measure of the skill of the teams regardless of division or classification.
Kinda gives some teams an incentive to schedule tough opponents too. Comes in handy come playoff seeding time.

It's a little scary though if you are a conference opponent that's fixing to play the #1 in division and 35th in the state. I've got kin in Yancey County and hope they bring their A game this week.

It's a little scary though if you are a conference opponent that's fixing to play the #1 in division and 35th in the state. I've got kin in Yancey County and hope they bring their A game this week.
i wouldn't say scary i do not think either team has ever looked at this game that way. they have probably been ranked ahead of us statewide 2-3 out of the last 5 years if we looked at it. then they may not have been who knows. I think the boys will bring their A game friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBBear51
I'm guessing that Statesville win is carrying and will continue to carry a lot of weight in Mitchell's maxpreps ranking as they have won their next two and I feel pretty confident they may win out the rest of their schedule as their conference seems a little down. Several McDowell friends had been telling me after their hot start that they wished they had a shot at Mitchell this year because they thought they would have a legit shot at them this year, after seeing the score of their game getting beat by South Caldwell 50 to 0 the week after Statesville beat South Caldwell by two scores I don't think they would be quite ready yet. But I still hate to not see that game happen for the first time in the history of the schools if I'm not mistaken, really our only traditional non conference rival.

I like looking at the Maxpreps state rankings. It shows the gap between each team.

1. Mitchell 35th
2. Tarboro 43rd
3. East Surry 46th
4. Holmes 48th
5. Murphy 54th
6. Robbinsville 61st
7. Thomas Jeff. 102nd
8. Mt. Airy. 116th
9. Winston Prep 120th
10. Princeton 141st.
Serious question.
What teams ranked 2-6 would Mitchell beat?

Serious question.
What teams ranked 2-6 would Mitchell beat?
Good question. I have no idea lol. We all thought Mitchell was going to have to go thru some growing pains this year, but they hit the ground running, and haven't let up. I think East Surry is going to get exposed this week against WSP, Holmes and Tarboro would be a stretch, but possible. I think Robbinsville is better than Murphy, and honestly, from the film I've seen, about even with Mitchell (if not a hair better). Tanner Duncan did just get 210 yards on 15 carries, and Ty Turbyfill had 81 rushing on 12 carries, and 95 yards passing 7/13 comp %. Pretty impressive stats regardless of who you are playing.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Everyone going find out about Mitchell friday, no excuses mountaineers let the best team win.

I don’t put much stock in max prep rankings
MaxPreps rankings are probably the most accurate rankings available, at the END of the season. Mitchell's rank is so high this week because every team they have played was ranked fairly high the week they played Mitchell. Statesville was in the 40's. Smoky Mountain was like 86, and Owen was 91 if I recall. All top 100 AT THE TIME OF PLAYING. That is the very reason you should take them with a grain of salt during the season, but they are a fairly accurate representation after the final game has been played.

Reactions: BK13T-$
How do their dreams die. Mitchell will still be the 1a conference champ more than likely and a chance to win a state championship.I hate split conferences.
Yes, but they will have accept that Heritage is their daddy

Those rankings are not very accurate early in the season, after about 6 games they are accurate .

Like others have said until Mitchell shows that they can win this game on a somewhat consistent basis you've got to give the nod to Heritage, but I still hope for the best and am proud of how this years team has played. Sometimes I try not to even look at this thread on the week of the game because I think we all in this community get a little carried away with the hatred sometimes, especially when that hatred gets directed towards kids that are good kids just not on our side of the battlefield. We need to all remember that we're neighbors that go to church together, work together, and go to the same family get togethers once this game is over.

Anyways I've been looking back at some stats and checked the records of these two teams over their last 60 regular season games in what has been an absolutely amazing run of dominance for both schools. But one thing that sticks out is just how much Heritage has had Mitchell's number compared to any other schools. So during this period Mitchell is 53-7 and Heritage is 51-9. What's crazy is 5 of Mitchell's 7 losses in the last 60 games have came to Heritage, with the other two being to Erwin and Hendersonville. Heritage's losses have been more spread out with only 1 of their 9 losses coming to Mitchell.

Another interesting stat to show the matchup issues Mitchell has with Heritage is just how much more dominant Mitchell has been (both teams have been dominant just talking score wise here) against the rest of the conference outside of this game, than Heritage has. Since the 2015 season Mitchell has only had one conference team come within 14 points of them which was a 1 point win over Polk in 2015, during that same time Heritage has had 7 conference games that they have won by less than 14 points including 2 conference losses both to Hendersonville. So whether it be just in Mitchell's head or just a bad matchup for some reason Heritage just has our number. I tend to lean towards it's a bad matchup because I think most of the time Mitchell will out physical every opponent except Heritage who will usually be the more physical team, we have also ran into this same problem of meeting our match physically against SMC teams in the past which are very similar to Heritage. It does seem like Mitchell tends to do better than Heritage against teams with a lot of speed or heavy passing attacks over the previous years, hence the reason for a couple of shared championships when Hendersonville would beat Heritage, and Mitchell would handle Hendersonville, and then Heritage handle Mitchell.

Win or lose Friday night both these programs have a lot to be proud of for what they've built, they've both come a long ways in the last decade or so.
I would have to agree with Mitchaneers1. I think it is all about the matchup. Heritage is always physical and set up to stop the run. Teams like Hendersonville and at times Erwin have caused issues with the air attack and put up some points and yards through the air with their speed. When Mitchell is forced to pass Heritage normally matches up well with them and can cover the receivers without having to drop a lot of the LBs into coverage. This causes a problem for a team who likes to break off large chunks of yards in the ground like Mitchell has been doing on the defenses they have faced this far.
I think Mitchell wil have to have a lot of success running the ball to pull off the win Friday night.

South Caldwell was a good team but McDowell didn't get off the bus and was embarrassed. Since Statesville beat them by one score I'm sure they are a good team. McDowell isn't ready for Mitchell but still seem to be on the upswing. Every year I think this is the year Mitchell will beat Heritage but every year I get proven wrong. I still think Mitchell should be considered a slight favorite here based on results so far but in this game it's hard to bet against Heritage under coach Robinson

Idk, I'd say they are pretty darn close...
Just by the schedule Mitchel has played ,beating a good Statesville team ,beating Smoky on there field is a good win ,then you throw in the way Mitchell totally dominated Owen.I would have to believe that Mitchell show be no worse than #2.lf they are number 1,they have earned it especially with East Surry getting blowed out by Reidsville.
What does Mitchell's 2021 schedule look like.

Reactions: Purple1995
I'm guessing that Statesville win is carrying and will continue to carry a lot of weight in Mitchell's maxpreps ranking as they have won their next two and I feel pretty confident they may win out the rest of their schedule as their conference seems a little down. Several McDowell friends had been telling me after their hot start that they wished they had a shot at Mitchell this year because they thought they would have a legit shot at them this year, after seeing the score of their game getting beat by South Caldwell 50 to 0 the week after Statesville beat South Caldwell by two scores I don't think they would be quite ready yet. But I still hate to not see that game happen for the first time in the history of the schools if I'm not mistaken, really our only traditional non conference rival.
Who's won the most games in McDowell , Mitchell series.
I've been to a few of those games .The Titans used to be one of Mitchell's top rivals, other than Avery. Don't hear any Mitchell fans saying much about Avery these days.

I can't stand either of these two squads, thanks to their gloating good for nothing fans! With that said, Mitchell fans will talk junk all week, (like they always do). Heritage will beat them, (like they always do). Then Mitchell will boast about beating the rest of the poor WHC, (like you know they will). Just a word of advice for your mitchell county boys, Stay in the poor WHC because you would be 4th on your best seasons in the SMC.

Playing at mitchell is Heritage 2nd home, the champs will take memorial stadium over, write this down mitchell offense will be totally shutdown just like last year except worse, to many people on here are comparing scores do the eye test, look at what the cougars have back. Heritage by 21, forgot something east yancey and came river both destroy mitchell middle school lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT