ADVERTISEMENT

Heritage @ Mitchell

Even last year against Mitchell super team we fumble inside the 5 yard line that game should have been 21 - 6 you Mitchell people seem to forget that

Ok, so I have a question semi-unrelated to this discussion. If Mitchell were to lose to Heritage, and Owen beat Heritage, that would make Mitchell 4-1, Owen 4-1, and Heritage 3-1. (Assuming all 3 won the rest of their conference games, and the Avery-Heritage game was unable to be made up.) How would that work? Would it be a 3 way tie, 2 way tie between Mitchell and Owen, or Mitchell the outright champion since they beat Owen head to head? This is all hypothetical, obviously, there is much ball to be played, and its probable that it wont shake out like this. I'm just curious.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Guys got question about mitchell, do you ever get any players near Rome mtn, that's long ride mitchell high?

Going to be honest everyone in yancey county expects a beatdown friday, joey got tough job keeping players focus , ask anyone from yancey and if they are honest they will tell you that. Attack away just being real.
Just talked to two people from Yancey County today. Both said this years team is way down from the past few years and expect a close game. They are realists unlike your dumb $&&.

Just talked to two people from Yancey County today. Both said this years team is way down from the past few years and expect a close game. They are realists unlike your dumb $&&.
This years team isn’t way down at all. I do expect a competitive game but by no means is this years team “way down”.

Heritage was the best defense we faced last year. After watching the Hendersonville game, the defense still looks stout. In my opinion for us to win, we are going to have to throw the ball over 150 yards to even have a chance of winning. Joey knows how to stop our Wing-T. Passing is critical.
Now 2020 may try to pour some gas on the fire at times, I must agree, but not sure who you have been talking to about drop off in talent. If Heritage is down by very much, I have not seen it so far. Defense if very stout and offense moved the ball at will against Hendersonville. Timing was definitely off in the first game on offense, but expected when any teams QB is on the sideline. This game is always competitive but I would not be counting on a stiff drop in talent on the Heritage side. Could have been the opponent on Friday and the heavy lead but physicality definitely goes in favor of Heritage in the trenches and at LB. But I’ll agree I have only seen coverage of one game. Should be a dandy and hope both teams have an injury free game and have success after this matchup.

You need keep dearhunting clueless about football, friday night you will realise everything I said going to happen.

I had a yancey county coach tell me that the talent is there, but the boys didnt look in shape. He has coached everyone of these boys (except the ones from Madison) and I trust his judgement. Mitchell has played better competition, and won by a larger margin. Brevard sucks this year. They scraped by 2 VERY bad teams. Hell Owen beat East Henderson 41-7, Brevard won 14-0. Hendersonville isn't very good either, they had their full roster this week, and still got beat by a not very good Franklin. Y'all keep bringing up basketball, but you know what? Mitchell played bball the same amount as Heritage, and still beat a very good 3a team, all while Heritage fans keep saying "you cant go by the Brevard score blah blah blah" "basketball blah blah blah". I'm confident that Mitchell is the better team, but whether or not they can get their heads right wont be answered until friday. I doubt the Cougars will be the toughest opponent Mitchell will face this year, certainly weren't last year.

I had a yancey county coach tell me that the talent is there, but the boys didnt look in shape. He has coached everyone of these boys (except the ones from Madison) and I trust his judgement. Mitchell has played better competition, and won by a larger margin. Brevard sucks this year. They scraped by 2 VERY bad teams. Hell Owen beat East Henderson 41-7, Brevard won 14-0. Hendersonville isn't very good either, they had their full roster this week, and still got beat by a not very good Franklin. Y'all keep bringing up basketball, but you know what? Mitchell played bball the same amount as Heritage, and still beat a very good 3a team, all while Heritage fans keep saying "you cant go by the Brevard score blah blah blah" "basketball blah blah blah". I'm confident that Mitchell is the better team, but whether or not they can get their heads right wont be answered until friday. I doubt the Cougars will be the toughest opponent Mitchell will face this year, certainly weren't last year.
But you have been confident the last few years. I think the confidence and drive of the players will determine the outcome and the coaching staff will once again throw a new kink into everything.

Did your basketball players play against statesville? Last post on any of the basketball stuff since that seems to be an issue I was just curious.

Sure did. Played basketball on tuesday, football friday, basketball Saturday.
Wow that’s a rough week. Glad our football coach made the decision to hold the heritage guys out with them playing in the playoffs. And yeah you can say blah blah blah and all that but it did affect the game but a win is a win. And you should be confident in your team as we are with ours but I wouldn’t put to much stock in “what I’ve heard” or “I was told comments”

Reactions: Mhsneer
Wow that’s a rough week. Glad our football coach made the decision to hold the heritage guys out with them playing in the playoffs. And yeah you can say blah blah blah and all that but it did affect the game but a win is a win. And you should be confident in your team as we are with ours but I wouldn’t put to much stock in “what I’ve heard” or “I was told comments”
What's your reasoning for Heritage letting Hendo hang around? The Bearcats were without 2 of their best athletes (basketball). Your defense gave up 27 points, while a bad Franklin defense allowed the same amount, while hendo had a full roster, and won.

What's your reasoning for Heritage letting Hendo hang around? The Bearcats were without 2 of their best athletes (basketball). Your defense gave up 27 points, while a bad Franklin defense allowed the same amount, while hendo had a full roster, and won.
40-27 isn’t exactly hanging around considering Hendo scored on good field position on an unforced TO later in 4th quarter at that. But hey maybe your right maybe you guys are that much more superior than us this year. Wouldn’t that make a loss Friday suck even worse for you. Especially to get beat by a inferior and out of shape team.

Last edited:
Mountie putting big target on his boys , he brags every year then his boys get beat then he whines

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work on that stat comparison. The Brevard game stats are a little hard to go by due to so many starters on offense being out due to basketball but overall these are interesting to look at and discuss leading into Friday.
Going to be honest everyone in yancey county expects a beatdown friday, joey got tough job keeping players focus , ask anyone from yancey and if they are honest they will tell you that. Attack away just being real.
I’d say y’all are right we are horrible y’all at least 3tds better

• Haha
I am talking about roan mtn nc above bakersville , yes we have had players from Madison, got surprise for you guys friday
There isn’t any houses up that way really just the Appalachian Trail on the state line. That would be a long haul to go to Mitchell. Usually a Avery kid will go to Cloudland or a Cloudland kid might go Avery. The backup QB for Elizabethton is a Avery kid.

There isn’t any houses up that way really just the Appalachian Trail on the state line. That would be a long haul to go to Mitchell. Usually a Avery kid will go to Cloudland or a Cloudland kid might go Avery. The backup QB for Elizabethton is a Avery kid.
Actually, quite a few houses up on the roan. Obviously not on top, but a lot in Glen Ayre, about 3/4 up.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Actually, quite a few houses up on the roan. Obviously not on top, but a lot in Glen Ayre, about 3/4 up.
I go up a lot that way to the Rhododendron Gardens and hike some on the trail.Still a lot closer to Roan MTN. Most of those are seasonal houses towards the top. It’s wild to think there was a Motel on top of the MTN at on time.

Like others have said until Mitchell shows that they can win this game on a somewhat consistent basis you've got to give the nod to Heritage, but I still hope for the best and am proud of how this years team has played. Sometimes I try not to even look at this thread on the week of the game because I think we all in this community get a little carried away with the hatred sometimes, especially when that hatred gets directed towards kids that are good kids just not on our side of the battlefield. We need to all remember that we're neighbors that go to church together, work together, and go to the same family get togethers once this game is over.

Anyways I've been looking back at some stats and checked the records of these two teams over their last 60 regular season games in what has been an absolutely amazing run of dominance for both schools. But one thing that sticks out is just how much Heritage has had Mitchell's number compared to any other schools. So during this period Mitchell is 53-7 and Heritage is 51-9. What's crazy is 5 of Mitchell's 7 losses in the last 60 games have came to Heritage, with the other two being to Erwin and Hendersonville. Heritage's losses have been more spread out with only 1 of their 9 losses coming to Mitchell.

Another interesting stat to show the matchup issues Mitchell has with Heritage is just how much more dominant Mitchell has been (both teams have been dominant just talking score wise here) against the rest of the conference outside of this game, than Heritage has. Since the 2015 season Mitchell has only had one conference team come within 14 points of them which was a 1 point win over Polk in 2015, during that same time Heritage has had 7 conference games that they have won by less than 14 points including 2 conference losses both to Hendersonville. So whether it be just in Mitchell's head or just a bad matchup for some reason Heritage just has our number. I tend to lean towards it's a bad matchup because I think most of the time Mitchell will out physical every opponent except Heritage who will usually be the more physical team, we have also ran into this same problem of meeting our match physically against SMC teams in the past which are very similar to Heritage. It does seem like Mitchell tends to do better than Heritage against teams with a lot of speed or heavy passing attacks over the previous years, hence the reason for a couple of shared championships when Hendersonville would beat Heritage, and Mitchell would handle Hendersonville, and then Heritage handle Mitchell.

Win or lose Friday night both these programs have a lot to be proud of for what they've built, they've both come a long ways in the last decade or so.

Back to WAY WAY off topic. Went across the Roan some random weekend last summer and road was basically 1 lane with so many folks parked along the side. My wife went to counting and saw vehicle tags from 29 different states. Loving it to death I tell ya.
Anyway now that I have shared that little useless nugget of useless unproven knowledge I will return to the yearly regularly scheduled program of bashing the neighboring county. No matter what happens on the field these threads always deliver. Suprised no one has mentioned that Burnsville now has Bojangles to counter the Western Sizzlin. But Mitchell has just upped the stakes with the opening of overpriced sugar water in PELICANS, Granted it is good sugar water though.

Still way to early but thinking something along the lines of 24-14. Heritage, Geez I fell so dirty when I type that

Go Mountaineers and for the love of all thing that are good Please prove me wrong!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT