ADVERTISEMENT

Chambers football

That's what's so sad. They are proud to milk the system. Then when they play other privates/ Parochial schools they get beat. They have a 25 mile radius and 6 county border to pull athletes from. They should win. He wont explain how 3 schools have nearly 250 ships in less than 25 years.

Let public schools have 25 miles, and 6 county borders with controlled admissions and see how the tide changes. They are playing by two very different set of rules.
“So sad” we win with talent from our school system. Name kids who we pulled from public schools in high school who went onto make a serious impact. Name them. Come on bigdaddy.
We have this debate every year, you think you know all based on numbers, you know not a thing. It’s fine you can die on this hill, but it’s a dumb one to die on if you’re going to be this uneducated on the mission of our school and what our goals are as a school.
Ignorance is complete and utter bliss.

A
That's what's so sad. They are proud to milk the system. Then when they play other privates/ Parochial schools they get beat. They have a 25 mile radius and 6 county border to pull athletes from. They should win. He wont explain how 3 schools have nearly 250 ships in less than 25 years.

Let public schools have 25 miles, and 6 county borders with controlled admissions and see how the tide changes. They are playing by two very different set of rules.
As Oddo once said “we don’t recruit em, we breed em here” guess Catholics are just better athletes

I could bring up facts and numbers about transfers, transfer policy, our academics, mission as a school, etc. All a mute point because bigdaddy knows all. People believe what they want, changing minds is something I gave up a long time ago.

Honest question because I really don't know but do the other privates in other states have the same rules as NC for privates in the NCHSAA? Like in NC no recruiting, no boarding and I think no scholarships to attend the school. I have seen this argument many times but if I remember correctly Charlotte Catholic has had less than 10 transfers in 15+ years that played football that didn't play for their middle school. Of those less than 10, I am pretty sure that almost all came from other Catholic schools in other states when they moved to the Charlotte area. I have talked to many coaches and they don't have a problem with them,but definitely prefer them playing up a division. If coaches really had a problem with them, a simple vote through the NCHSAA is all it takes. No political lobbying could stop that vote.
Not that simple. The parochial schools have lobbyist that get support for them to not get voted out. Then many abstain from the vote so the quorum is not met. If we count actual vote percentages they would be almost 85% for them to be kicked out. Pretty clear to me.

Its not about transfers. If you have a 6 county border, middleschool feeders, and a 25 mile radius you wont get a lot of transfers in/out because you have no border, and EVERYONE is automatically geographically eligible. If a Richmond county player wants to play at MC he has to move physically and is called a transfer. If any catholic athlete wants to play at CC or Gibbons all he has to do is be in a 25 mile radius regardless of state OR be on a neighboring county. No need to move thus less transfers. Its a pretty simple concept.

Reactions: 87SwO
Bigdadd tell them how you really feel about the parochial private schools lol. Not piling on CC or parochial schools in general but Bigdadd did drop a lot of facts in this post. The private parochial schools are dominating high school sports NATIONALLY when competing against their fellow public schools overall. The advantage of extra resources for athletics and athletic training over public schools in most cases are huge.
That's what Charlotte Catholic guys want you to overlook. FACTS. If this was an anomaly it would only be NC. Its in just about every state in the US where private non boarding parochial schools dominate sports. Not just football but the vast majority of sports. They simply have school choice with the athletes that they want with no geographic boundary. Geographic boundary is the essence of HS sports.

9 of 12 state title games with Catholic schools vs. public schools the Catholic Schools won. 75% win percentage. In most cases its the same schools year in and year out.

Again 3 schools over 250 ships in less than 25 years. Let that sink in when we talk sports fairness/equity.

You wonder why they don't want to compete with other privates/catholic schools? A great deal of private school leagues are watered down and don't get fanfare. No one really cares. By playing in a public league they get the benefit of better games, better revenue, and better winning/ship percentages which better sells the school. Catholic schools and sports and have been linked for over a century, It was their sense of pride. These schools are little sports factories with almost 90% of the student body playing sports.

Not that simple. The parochial schools have lobbyist that get support for them to not get voted out. Then many abstain from the vote so the quorum is not met. If we count actual vote percentages they would be almost 85% for them to be kicked out. Pretty clear to me.

Its not about transfers. If you have a 6 county border, middleschool feeders, and a 25 mile radius you wont get a lot of transfers in/out because you have no border, and EVERYONE is automatically geographically eligible. If a Richmond county player wants to play at MC he has to move physically and is called a transfer. If any catholic athlete wants to play at CC or Gibbons all he has to do is be in a 25 mile radius regardless of state OR be on a neighboring county. No need to move thus less transfers. Its a pretty simple concept.
I think once we all just acknowledge that Catholics are naturally better athletes it’ll all be ok!

• Haha
A

As Oddo once said “we don’t recruit em, we breed em here” guess Catholics are just better athletes
yeah they are great athletes and yes you do breed them. All the way from Holy trinity, ASt. Ann, and St. Patrtick. Its a great system.

When you have to deflect and can't argue facts it shows

I think once we all just acknowledge that Catholics are naturally better athletes it’ll all be ok!
When you can cherry pick athletes and restrict admission you will get a better athlete no doubt, because you get them in quantity. Its a pretty easy concept. Whereas public schools have to take what they get private parochial schools can be restrictive in admissions and get a player from anywhere in a 2-3 state radius. It makes a big difference in sports. Don't be offended someone is bringing light to this stuff.

Its nationwide too.

When you can cherry pick athletes and restrict admission you will get a better athlete no doubt, because you get them in quantity. Its a pretty easy concept. Whereas public schools have to take what they get private parochial schools can be restrictive in admissions and get a player from anywhere in a 2-3 state radius. It makes a big difference in sports. Don't be offended someone is bringing light to this stuff.

Its nationwide too.
See this is where you don’t know anything about our admissions process. If you knew the diocese and their mindset on admissions then you’d understand that statement is not true.

Dropped a few numbers and compared us to Aquinas, Elder and others which is laughable.
You are very comparable to Aquinas, Elder, and other catholic schools. All have restricted admissions, and non geographic boundary, and are private schools.

You go tell me Catholic and Cardinal Gibbons are more similar to Harding, East Meck, or North Meck or Aquinas, ELder, or Mater Dai? Be real. Just accept the fact you all are good and get to cherry pick the public school system vs. playing like minded private/catholic schools. The real victim are public school kids who get denied state championships because of these sports privates/charters playing with publics. Wont even touch demographics.....

See this is where you don’t know anything about our admissions process. If you knew the diocese and their mindset on admissions then you’d understand that statement is not true.
I do know some. They have priority admissions where they know or have knowledge of the student/family applying to attend. and admission through MACS. They also have tuition assistance and financial aid for students......

They also deny most non-Catholics and minorities admission into CC. They also fired a teacher for being gay. Public schools dont and cant do these things.......

I do know some. They have priority admissions where they know or have knowledge of the student/family applying to attend. and admission through MACS. They also have tuition assistance and financial aid for students......

They also deny most non-Catholics and minorities admission into CC. They also fired a teacher for being gay. Public schools dont and cant do these things.......
I’m not going to get into the hirings and firings of teachers as I’m not an admin. The athletes are not eligible for third party tuition assistance(have said this for years). You think you know some, but you’re not in those meetings, you’re not in the diocese. So in reality you know the surface, but not much. Not enough to make an educated statement on the admissions mindset of the diocese post-COVID.

Reactions: FBUncle
Does anyone think Catholic will go down to 3A in the future?
With their current enrollment no way. Freshman class is largest ever, over 400 kids. If state goes to 7 classes, they’d be 5A, but with no other 5A teams around I think CC would end up in 6A.

Reactions: FBUncle
I’m not going to get into the hirings and firings of teachers as I’m not an admin. The athletes are not eligible for third party tuition assistance(have said this for years). You think you know some, but you’re not in those meetings, you’re not in the diocese. So in reality you know the surface, but not much. Not enough to make an educated statement on the admissions mindset of the diocese post-COVID.
Not eligible for 3rd party but eligible for tuition assistance/financial aid through MACS. Stop playing semantics.

My point in the hiring firing is not what they do , but that they have a church based ability to do so as a private school/church. Its a part of the Roman Diocese of Charlotte. They are a private school, not a public school that must hire and admit any student in their geographical boundary. They have teh ability to restriction admission and hiring. thus not PUBLIC as are the highschools they compete against,. Thats how 3 schools are able to win 250 championships in less than 25 years.

Not eligible for 3rd party but eligible for tuition assistance/financial aid through MACS. Stop playing semantics.

My point in the hiring firing is not what they do , but that they have a church based ability to do so as a private school/church. Its a part of the Roman Diocese of Charlotte. They are a private school, not a public school that must hire and admit any student in their geographical boundary. They have teh ability to restriction admission and hiring. thus not PUBLIC as are the highschools they compete against,. Thats how 3 schools are able to win 250 championships in less than 25 years.
The only tuition assistance is through the third party. MACS doesn’t touch it they recuse themselves to prevent from showing favoritism if a certain family falls on hard times and applies for it. MACS has never been involved with it, it’s also extremely hard to get. I would know considering I lost a player because his family had to pull him because they didn’t get any financial aid. He had already stopped playing as well.

• Haha
Reactions: FBUncle and 87SwO
Honest question because I really don't know but do the other privates in other states have the same rules as NC for privates in the NCHSAA? Like in NC no recruiting, no boarding and I think no scholarships to attend the school.
Over the years I have visited most of the big time programs in the US including the Catholic powerhouses. Mater Dei, DeLaSalle, STA, Bishop Gorman among others. Those programs are nothing like Charlotte Catholic. They are more along the lines of what the Charlotte Big Four would do with a much bigger engine. They bring in players at all levels including rising seniors. Tuition is covered in full. The facilities are college level. They travel extensively to camps and in season games. They are not interested if a player is Catholic or interested in the faith at all and they do not let academics lead the admissions process.

The Parochial school systems in the north and midwest are huge and the center of the community.

Reactions: mrhonda
You notice how you didn't post any facts or dispute the info that was presented. Its FACTUAL. Your mission is the benefit of Charlotte Catholic no matter how it effects others and no natter how unfair it may be. Controlled admissions, and no geographic border are just too much for a public school to overcome.

-There are many that feel the way I do. Just as the prior vote showed. If not for the abstainers and The Parochial schools politicking to stay they would have easily been voted out of the NCHSAA. But the parochial schools have a great lobbyist system in NC. My aim is to bring more knowledge to the issue.
Now, you're not saying that public schools are part of the "oppressed" in society, are you?

From what I understand, Catholic draws primarily from Holy Trinity. Is that true or have I missed something?
95%+ of the student body from there. Not counting kids from St. Mark’s although since CTK opened the number of St. Mark’s kids has dropped.

Reactions: mrhonda
Over the years I have visited most of the big time programs in the US including the Catholic powerhouses. Mater Dei, DeLaSalle, STA, Bishop Gorman among others. Those programs are nothing like Charlotte Catholic. They are more along the lines of what the Charlotte Big Four would do with a much bigger engine. They bring in players at all levels including rising seniors. Tuition is covered in full. The facilities are college level. They travel extensively to camps and in season games. They are not interested if a player is Catholic or interested in the faith at all and they do not let academics lead the admissions process.

The Parochial school systems in the north and midwest are huge and the center of the community.
Btango respect your opinion but you too are missing the point and overlook the factual evidence thats presented in these public vs. Private debates. As a school CC is much closer aligned to Mater Dei, DeLassalle, STA, and Bishop Gorman than they are any public HS in North Carolina.

Also those schools have no geographic border just as CC, and CG have no border. This is a distinct advantage over public schools. Its the basis for school choice, and a great many of the transfers that occur in public school sports. Students/families choose these Parochial HS because of great sports and a good education. This can not be overlooked as some anamoly. Having a dedicated streamlined feeder system with like minded/belief individuals is a distinct advantage. Those families plan to play together and recruit each other even prior to middle school.

Explain how 3 HS have won over 250 ships in less than 25 years? Almost more than the entire rest of state combined? You will say country club sports because of demographics but wouldn't that same advantage apply to football and basketball? Dont give me the astronaut excuse. They have great athletes and are able to stockpile at one school. The Parochial schools take great pride in sports whereas most public HS are predominantly low income and the main goal is safety. The numbers nationwide show its a clear advantage.

Youd expect a private school to be safer, better academically, less diverse, but then think they wouldn't be better athletically when studies have clearly shown better academic HS are better sportswise. (Not talking magnets or specialzed programs.)

Btango respect your opinion but you too are missing the point and overlook the factual evidence thats presented in these public vs. Private debates. As a school CC is much closer aligned to Mater Dei, DeLassalle, STA, and Bishop Gorman than they are any public HS in North Carolina.

Also those schools have no geographic border just as CC, and CG have no border. This is a distinct advantage over public schools. Its the basis for school choice, and a great many of the transfers that occur in public school sports. Students/families choose these Parochial HS because of great sports and a good education. This can not be overlooked as some anamoly. Having a dedicated streamlined feeder system with like minded/belief individuals is a distinct advantage. Those families plan to play together and recruit each other even prior to middle school.

Explain how 3 HS have won over 250 ships in less than 25 years? Almost more than the entire rest of state combined? You will say country club sports because of demographics but wouldn't that same advantage apply to football and basketball? Dont give me the astronaut excuse. They have great athletes and are able to stockpile at one school. The Parochial schools take great pride in sports whereas most public HS are predominantly low income and the main goal is safety. The numbers nationwide show its a clear advantage.

Youd expect a private school to be safer, better academically, less diverse, but then think they wouldn't be better athletically when studies have clearly shown better academic HS are better sportswise. (Not talking magnets or specialzed programs.)
"The Parochial schools take great pride in sports whereas most public HS are predominantly low income and the main goal is safety". Sounds like there are some deeper issues to be dealt with in public schools, doesn't it, than just competing in sports?

"The Parochial schools take great pride in sports whereas most public HS are predominantly low income and the main goal is safety". Sounds like there are some deeper issues to be dealt with in public schools, doesn't it, than just competing in sports?
Fully agree, but that's not the topic here. You like other s deflect and over looks the issue. The issue is unfair competitive advantages for private/parochial/charter schools have over public schools. They should have spearte playoffs/conferences.

So how is Chambers going to be in football this year?lol
Back to the original topic. I don't have a dog in the fight but I think folks around the state are completely sleeping on Chambers this year. I think the biggest upgrade is in new OC Fecil Blango. Very smart football mind and I think that offense plays well this year. Skill player wise they are filled with division 1 talent that's on par if not better than most in the state. The names have just changed. If they can get the trenches clicking and stay healthy, look out!

Back to the original topic. I don't have a dog in the fight but I think folks around the state are completely sleeping on Chambers this year. I think the biggest upgrade is in new OC Fecil Blango. Very smart football mind and I think that offense plays well this year. Skill player wise they are filled with division 1 talent that's on par if not better than most in the state. The names have just changed. If they can get the trenches clicking and stay healthy, look out!
What does he have over Littlejohn, the OC last year? Why is it an upgrade. LJ won a State Championship the previous year as the OC at South Pointe. What is OC Fecil Blango accomplishments? FYI, The Biggs win State Championships. Skill guys don't work without them.

Last edited:
Do we have a justification for contrasting one with the other? Will the outcome of this conversation have any impact on the playing field in real time?

What does he have over Littlejohn, the OC last year? Why is it an upgrade. LJ won a State Championship the previous year as the OC at South Pointe. What is OC Fecil Blango accomplishments? FYI, The Biggs win State Championships. Skill guys don't work without them.
I agree. LJ is a big loss for that program. He was harshly and wrongly blamed for the demise of last season but he took it like a man and moved on. You will never hear him talk bad about the coaches or parents, and he loves those kids at Chambers, football player or not. Still teaches there and coaches at Butler. Hard to replace that kind of character guy. I respect him and know he’s going to do well at Butler.

I agree. LJ is a big loss for that program. He was harshly and wrongly blamed for the demise of last season but he took it like a man and moved on. You will never hear him talk bad about the coaches or parents, and he loves those kids at Chambers, football player or not. Still teaches there and coaches at Butler. Hard to replace that kind of character guy. I respect him and know he’s going to do well at Butler.
He’s the only OC we played against at the Creek, who effectively moved the ball down the field on us, outside of Buford.

Chamber’s parents collectively are tough to deal with. I called a game for the NFHS Network, the crowd was like a XXX version of death comedy jam. 😂

Said it before and ill say it again. Coach Brand and Coach Ferebee may be two of the all time greats to EVER coach in CMS/Meck County. Dont underestimate the effect of losing Richardson at AD. Also Hollywood was not and will not be easy to replace. Dont care how much talent they have there are levels to coaching. No offense to any coach there as they are good, but losing Hackett, Brand, Ferebee, and LJ will eventually catch up with u.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
He’s the only OC we played against at the Creek, who effectively moved the ball down the field on us, outside of Buford.

Chamber’s parents collectively are tough to deal with. I called a game for the NFHS Network, the crowd was like a XXX version of death comedy jam. 😂
The parents at Chambers are collectively ruthless. A lot of people don’t know that LJ couldn’t bring his family to games last year. Imagine bringing your 4 year old daughter to games and people in the stands are cursing at and calling for your dad’s job. Let’s not get it misconstrued, Vance/Chambers gets a very bad rep for low performance and behavior but there’s some great people in that community. Unfortunately the success has made a lot of people ungrateful for what they have. The fans/parents don’t realize how good they have it as Wiggins, LJ, Brian Frasier and the new principal, Hicks are outstanding men and leaders who do it for the kids. Can’t say that about a lot of adults in the education/coaching world.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Coach Brand and Coach Ferebee may be two of the all time greats to EVER coach in CMS/Meck County. Dont underestimate the effect of losing Richardson at AD. Also Hollywood was not and will not be easy to replace. Dont care how much talent they have there are levels to coaching. No offense to any coach there as they are good, but losing Hackett, Brand, Ferebee, and LJ will eventually catch up with u.
One more to add. Michael Bloomfield, their strength and conditioning coach for the past 4-5 years. He announced a few weeks ago that he’s taking the same position at Hickory Ridge. That’s a HUGE loss for Chambers.

The parents at Chambers are collectively ruthless. A lot of people don’t know that LJ couldn’t bring his family to games last year. Imagine bringing your 4 year old daughter to games and people in the stands are cursing at and calling for your dad’s job. Let’s not get it misconstrued, Vance/Chambers gets a very bad rep for low performance and behavior but there’s some great people in that community. Unfortunately the success has made a lot of people ungrateful for what they have. The fans/parents don’t realize how good they have it as Wiggins, LJ, Brian Frasier and the new principal, Hicks are outstanding men and leaders who do it for the kids. Can’t say that about a lot of adults in the education/coaching world.
Hard to single out Chambers for this kind of behavior. Been in alot of stands the last 10 years. Lots of terrible behavior.

Based on your response, my assessment is these parents are not parents. Acting like children, they are rather immature grownups running the stands, shouting profanity, and generally disregarding the environment & school officials. Surrounded by such pandemonium, it's hardly the best environment for both spectators and students. Sadly, this cancer has spread widely throughout its neighboring opponents. Respect begins at home. Their upbringing & environment they are raised in plays a huge factor in their adult actions.

Fully agree, but that's not the topic here. You like other s deflect and over looks the issue. The issue is unfair competitive advantages for private/parochial/charter schools have over public schools. They should have spearte playoffs/conferences.
I’m not deflecting at all. Most public schools have many non-sport issues that privates/parochials don’t have. You said it: the main goal is safety. If I have kids being shot at in school or at games I don’t care frankly about private/parochial schools. With most being low income with a concern for safety, it matters not about parochials and/or privates playing with public schools. They have deeper issues to worry about.

I’m not deflecting at all. Most public schools have many non-sport issues that privates/parochials don’t have. You said it: the main goal is safety. If I have kids being shot at in school or at games I don’t care frankly about private/parochial schools. With most being low income with a concern for safety, it matters not about parochials and/or privates playing with public schools. They have deeper issues to worry about.
Again you are getting off topic. The privates/Parochials dominate in every state not just NC. Don't make it so personal with CC. Its a nationwide issue. Instead of deflecting just listen and analyze what I'm saying. We wouldn't reasonably expect a public high school to compete with a private high school in the science Olympiad nor college readiness rates, but then we expect them to be able to compete athletically? The numbers are skewed in favor of charter/parochial schools winning state championships at an alarming rate.

Simply moving them up a class doesn't seem to solve the issue. Again not personal just look at the info provided and provide solutions. My solution is to remove them from playoff competition but allow regular season matchups.

Reactions: raiderstud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT