ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Anyone remember the movie "All's quiet on the western front". That seems to be what's happening now. Is no news good news or bad news. The next school board meeting is next Tuesday followed by a joint meeting with the county commissioners the following Tuesday. Just wondering what's going on . I hope they are working on a redistricting plan for the whole county. One can always hope.

The School Board members have probably gone into hibernation right now and I don't blame 'em. The School Board has to figure out whether they can expect new revenues via a sales tax increase referendum. If a referendum passes, and I think it's going to be a close vote, they still need to come up with some more money. The state isn't giving any additional funds so they have to wait on the Commissioners. I think that Gene McIntyre is the one everyone needs to watch. By all intents and purposes he is the leader of that group and the one with the closest ties to Burr and Poole. Gene might be getting a little long in the tooth, but he can do a Texas two-step as good as Terry Labonte. He'll tell you what you want to hear and then do what Burr and Poole wants to happen.

Albemarle will be open next year. It's simply too late in the year to close the school.

That's my thought also Buddy. Gene will fight tooth and nail to keep Poole happy. Luckily for the families in Stanly County the redistricting will be outside of Gene's direct control. Gene is a whisperer and he will start whispering pearls of fear to those who are willing to listen.

It's too bad about Gene. He was at one time a fine educator but he got bit by the political bug. For any of you that have enjoyed a cocktail with Gene, he will be more than willing to admit that he'd prefer living in Raleigh working in the legislature than stuck in Stanly County.

I really look for some news from the school board at next Tuesday's meeting. Just saw on facebook where they have scheduled the meeting to last 3 hrs. This must be unusual or they wouldn't have posted it. They meet with the county commissioners the following thur.of the next week for a joint meeting. I think this meeting will be about a proposed sales tax increase that the commissioners promised them. However who knows if a referendum will pass? Money is going to be a really big issue as to what the BOE does. Or I should say a lack thereof.

Buddy, I personally wonder when the referendum will make the ballot. Would it be in 2015 or 2016? If 2015, you can expect lower voter turnout which might skew the referendum to one side or another. Both sides want to get their folks out and when it's a non-Presidential/non-Gubernatorial year, who knows what will happen with lower voter turnout. Since the financial purse strings are tight I imagine that the timing of the referendum will come into play.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
There are so many moving parts it is tough to bring it all together.

My concern is if Burr gets his recall passed then we will see the Commissioners appoint the School Board members. I call big BS on that especially after the way they would not speak about the HB's when Ascuitto brought them up. I was disappointed that they did not even engage in the conversation.

The recall debacle is nothing more than grandstanding. The County, and that means the citizens, will have to pay for the recall election. This is the easiest sale for the good folks against the recall, something a second rate bails bondsman will never understand. Talk about wasteful spending: flushing money down the drain and then in the same breath cry about supposed wasteful spending. They might get a recall vote with some shenanigans, but Stanly won't vote the board members out. Burr and Poole hate the idea of tax dollars going to public education and that is far too easy to expose. Get a couple of drinks in Gene and he will tell you the same exact thing.

The recall snafu is merely a distraction. While they try to be Merlin with their magical hat, they talk under the breath about how stupid the citizens of Stanly are.

Gene would love to appoint his own school board members. I'm sure the committee of three for making that decision is Burr, Gene, and Poole. People elect these guys periodically but they won't trust them to make this decision. The "no" vote for recall

I am amazed at the stupidity going on with our state representative. 1. Burr wants an election recall. (Recall his elected position! Don't waste money trying to remove the BOE. That special election is another waste of funds in a county that needs to be frugal.) 2. Idea...let's put a painting of George Washington in every school. (Better idea...let's don't and say we did.! Another way to spend money needed elsewhere.) 3. Let me fix your problem. (I have an idea...run for re-election. Lose! Your moves are too politically motivated. Praise and worship is over...time to move on.)

Reactions: new_dawg
Stanly County people can be stubborn, but they are some smart folks when the truth is exposed. Exposing the truth about Burr is what needs to happen and Burr is doing a great job at exposing the truth with his hypocritical actions. Bail Bondsman Burr got elected to serve in the legislature and not micromanage the elected officials in Stanly County. Period. He speaks of being frugal and how he despises wasteful spending, but he unwittingly contradicts himself with his own actions. The George Washington portraits, really? Why on God's green earth do we need to spend money on portraits that the kids, not to mention the teachers, could care less about? Is George Washington such a beautiful man that a mere portrait of him will lead to better learning? I imagine the dander of the teachers will be raised if our legislature passes the bill while underpaying the teachers at the same time. All teachers should be insulted by this hypocrisy.

Stanly needs to "primary" his butt out of office. Only another Republican can defeat him because a Democrat will be DOA.

I'd like to get someone to review the Stanly News and Press back in the early 60's about how smooth it was for the county to consolidate. I betcha that there was some outrage like we are hearing today. It's been over 50 years since a traditional high school opened in Stanly County, and probably right under 50 years when the county integrated the schools.

Btango, Buddy, do either of you know who can perform some research? I don't live in Albemarle and I can't get to their library.

I am amazed at the stupidity going on with our state representative. 1. Burr wants an election recall. (Recall his elected position! Don't waste money trying to remove the BOE. That special election is another waste of funds in a county that needs to be frugal.) 2. Idea...let's put a painting of George Washington in every school. (Better idea...let's don't and say we did.! Another way to spend money needed elsewhere.) 3. Let me fix your problem. (I have an idea...run for re-election. Lose! Your moves are too politically motivated. Praise and worship is over...time to move on.)

If you want to read some funny satire about Burr and Poole, subscribe to this blog:
https://makethismakesense.wordpress.com/about/
On the right side of the page under "Archives", click the drop down menu and start with April 2015.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Thanks for the link new dawg. That was some very funny, educational, and informative reading.

I'm confused. I thought the SCS's were in bad financial shape. But according to Bill Josey the finace officer for the schools the school system is in good shape. He said the only thing we need to do is redistrict. All I have been hearing from Dr. Griffin and the board of education is they don't have the funds to operate all the schools. Somebody please tell me who is lying!!!!

I'm confused. I thought the SCS's were in bad financial shape. But according to Bill Josey the finace officer for the schools the school system is in good shape. He said the only thing we need to do is redistrict. All I have been hearing from Dr. Griffin and the board of education is they don't have the funds to operate all the schools. Somebody please tell me who is lying!!!!

Nothing more than a difference of opinion. I don't think either are lying, but each are giving their own opinion from their own perspective.

The schools are having to do more with less. The bills are being paid but the quality of instruction has suffered. Stanly is no Mecca for quality instruction, so if quality of education matters, Dr. Griffin is right. If your only concern is that the bills are being paid timely, then Josey is correct.

BTW, Josey isn't a bad guy at all. He's in a delicate situation so I don't fault him whatsoever for this statement. In fact, I respect Josey as I do Dr. Griffin. Both are reasons why Stanly will find a solution that is a win-win for all.

Thanks for the input, forever. I don't really know Dr. Griffin or Mr Josey, but sounds like they are both very capable people.

My wife knows Dr. Griffin very well and highly respects her as I do. The wannabes that vilify her in Stanly should be ashamed.

Josey's main focus is to pay the bills. Griffin's main focus is budget and educating the students. She feels she needs more money to improve the education. That was the whole point of what was put out. She wants to do more but has no money to do it with. Josey's statement that we are in good shape is probably true. He has the funds to pay every bill that comes in and keep the needed reserves in the account. If they keep the same budget and Dr Griffin adds the educational instruction she desires then Josey will not have the needed funds.

Unfortunately I am finding people in Stanly County have had a hard time understanding this logic.

If the school board does decide to redistrict what is the procedure. How do they draw new district lines, how long will it take, is there any kind of map in place. etc.

They have had at least two studies, if not four, completed the last 18 or so years and have never acted on it.

The only area that is really conceivable to redistrict for the high schools is making the West district smaller geographically. The main focus is a student attends the school nearest his residence unless the other options is faster and much more simple to transport the students. I do not think this will really add many, if any students to South. North is about right at 580 which is the average if the high school students were evenly distributed so I do not recommend taking from their district unless the Richfield area picks up. Students that live in the city limits but go to North are probably all closer to North either by mileage or drive time although it may be close with a few. I think neighborhoods should not be split if at all possible.

South will always have a tough time increasing their enrollment without growth. That is why I fear that with Albemarle increasing its enrollment with sensible redistricting will not work with South. The population density of the area is very low. If South continues to dwindle and reaches the sub 400 and down to 350 enrollment then the closing of the school will have to be addressed again and unfortunately the case will be stronger for its demise from a financial aspect. For all the people that say do not put a dollar sign on "our children" they need to remember that they do it everyday for the most part due to necessity, budget, and hopefully common sense in some cases.

The elementaries schools in the western district need to be redistricted. I think if the schools were drawn up properly they probably could do fine with three elementaries there now but future growth over the next few years would be a disaster.

Something definitely has to be done with West Stanly MS. Bad move totally. I fully support the middle school concept but that should have been a new high school built with current one becoming the middle school. Instead they went with the idea of appeasing the western crowd with another K-8 at the time.

Last edited:
Looking at Albemarle and Western Stanly in a business point of view it is always good to see the East Albemarle area getting new Businesses. We are the County Seat and Albemarle and it's Schools should be growing. Thank You TJ Maxx and other Businesses for choosing Us

Tonight the school board has their May meeting. Suppose to last 3 hrs which is unusual. I believe they will make some kind of decisions. After all school starts again in 3 months. I really believe its to late to close any schools, but I could be wrong. Will they redistrict? That is the main issue I would like to see them address. Also offering some STEM courses in the schools would be nice. On Thursday of next week they will have a joint meeting with the BOCC, at which time I think money issues will be discussed. The people in the county have spoken so it is time for the BOE to make some choices. Good luck to them!

This board needs to come out and say all HS will be open and the decision is to redistrict. Very tough to schedule games when you can't say 100% that your school will be there. Just saying it's about time to begin doing the right things!!!! Take it off the table so these kids and teachers can focus and move on.

Any news about the supposed sales tax referendum? I'm wondering if this talk about the sales tax referendum will actually come to fruition or whether it will be tossed to the side of the road.

In my opinion the sales tax needs to pass so that we can improve the education in our schools and also hopefully get alittle more competitive with pay. To my knowledge from most of the people I have talked too the only reason they didn't vote for it last time is because it was packaged. If they present it as a tax that goes directly to the schools I believe their will be plenty of support behind it IF they keep all the schools open and redistrict.

As I said before I think we will get some kind of decisions tonight. I think they will keep all the schools open for at least another year and probably vote on a tax increase in 2016. I think it stands a good chance of passing since it will be for the schools and nothing else. The finance officer said the schools are in good financial shape to run what we have now, but anything new like advanced courses would require more money. Now watch the school board throw me a left hook when I'm not expecting it. lol.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I am assuming so. Essentially what is on the table is a one time payment from the commissioners and a tax referendum if they agree to keep the schools open. BUT the board has been asked to take the closings completely off the table and they have yet to agree which from a athletics scheduling prospective is a nightmare

Nation I know you're a basketball coach, but wondering if you know anything about the first football game. We were suppose to open with Thomasville but think I read where that was canceled. Also I think the second game was orginially MP but was changed to Concord. Like you said scheduling at this point in time is a nightmare.

I just know about Bball right now. The bball schedule is crazy lol. I believe the football schedule is done though and should be released soon. I believe concord is on their but now positive.

Essentially some schools don't want to play our bball teams and some say their schedules "are full" some won't schedule us until they know we are going to be around 100%. Our bba teams will most likely be playing pretty much a 2a-3a non conference schedule.

Thanks. Seems like I read somewhere that we told Thomasville to try and find another team to play as things were really up in the air at that time and are still pretty much the same. Would appreciate letting me know when the football schedule comes out.

LOL oh I love football as well. I'm looking forward to this football season. Nothing like being out there on a Friday night.

In case anyone's interested go to ACES website on facebook and you can see the agenda for tonights BOE meeting. I don't know how much you can derive from an agenda but it looks long to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT