ADVERTISEMENT

Best football player to ever come out of NC

NO NO NO... I had seen him playing for Wilmington Legion team in State final against Kernersville Post 36 back in early 90's . He was the best HS baseball player I had ever seen. He made right decision going to Boston Red Sox. He won a ring and stay in the big show about 17 years? A friend of mine saw him in football and said he was a tremendous QB. He was offered to go NC State but turn it down to go Boston Red Sox.
He actually went to States spring practice because he and the Sox couldn't get a deal done. I believe it was day 1 of practice when Boston worked out the deal and Trot left. Trots oldest son has a great arm and may follow in his dads foot steps. We will see.

Chester is as good high school player that played in NC. Ask coaches played against him. He has to be in discussion.
I agree. Any coach that had to go against him will start getting nervous just talking about it. CM numbers don't jump off the chart because, in his prime, no one ran at him. The Deon Sanders effect, just don't go there.

Would love to have seen Trot Nixon play QB at NC State.
I believe I am correct in saying that NC State was not Trot's first choice. Alabama recruited him but they did not allow dual sport recruits and Trot wanted to play baseball and football in college. I think the State deal was more of a gesture to the Red Sox that he was willing to play college football / baseball if they didn't meet his financial demands.

The 1992 - 1995 New Hanover baseball teams were as good as I have ever seen in high school, especially the 1993 and 1994 teams. As good as Trot was I thought he was the 3rd best hitter on these teams behind Sean Gallagher and Chris Moore. I think Gallagher may have peaked after Trot left. However, Trot's overall baseball ability and swagger that he brought the team made him the best player on these teams.

I believe I am correct in saying that NC State was not Trot's first choice. Alabama recruited him but they did not allow dual sport recruits and Trot wanted to play baseball and football in college. I think the State deal was more of a gesture to the Red Sox that he was willing to play college football / baseball if they didn't meet his financial demands.

The 1992 - 1995 New Hanover baseball teams were as good as I have ever seen in high school, especially the 1993 and 1994 teams. As good as Trot was I thought he was the 3rd best hitter on these teams behind Sean Gallagher and Chris Moore. I think Gallagher may have peaked after Trot left. However, Trot's overall baseball ability and swagger that he brought the team made him the best player on these teams.
You are correct. I think Gallagher holds just about every offensive record at NH. he was a tremendous hitter.

I do remember him too (Gallagher) playing Legion ball too against Kernersville Post 36. K'ville won it all in 92 and I think Post 10 won the year after. I have to check the record for that. By the way, That Kernersville Post 36 was LOADED. Greg Payne play third base and now he sings for Piedmont Boys. Ray Farmer play CF and now he is GM for Cleveland Browns. Joe LaGarde play pitcher and outfield(I think)....he was QB for that great 92 East Forsyth Team that ran the table that fall. Many of those boys play on Senior Little League All Stars that went to World Series in Kissimmee Florida. Rusty LaRue play on same team (SR all stars) Most of you know who Rusty LaRue is. He is now coaching West Forsyth BB team.

Those three teams were mighty special for Kernersville Sports legacy. Sorry I went off the track ...I was mighty lucky to watch those legion games and see how many great players on that field alone. Where is Gallagher now? You said Trot Nixon's son is pretty darn good....which HS is he at now?

I do remember him too (Gallagher) playing Legion ball too against Kernersville Post 36. K'ville won it all in 92 and I think Post 10 won the year after. I have to check the record for that. By the way, That Kernersville Post 36 was LOADED. Greg Payne play third base and now he sings for Piedmont Boys. Ray Farmer play CF and now he is GM for Cleveland Browns. Joe LaGarde play pitcher and outfield(I think)....he was QB for that great 92 East Forsyth Team that ran the table that fall. Many of those boys play on Senior Little League All Stars that went to World Series in Kissimmee Florida. Rusty LaRue play on same team (SR all stars) Most of you know who Rusty LaRue is. He is now coaching West Forsyth BB team.

Those three teams were mighty special for Kernersville Sports legacy. Sorry I went off the track ...I was mighty lucky to watch those legion games and see how many great players on that field alone. Where is Gallagher now? You said Trot Nixon's son is pretty darn good....which HS is he at now?
Post 10 did win states in 93 and 94.

as far as High School alone, I'd say Carl Pickens. 6'4". No one scored on their defense with him at FS. 100 m champ for a long time and until 2 years ago still the sate high jump champ. Now all he does is trout fish.

Julius Pepper is freak of nature. I saw him catching a guy from scoring a TD from other side of sideline. It was unreal. Pepper was on near side of the football field (near sideline) and ran all the way to far side of the field to catch the guy from scoring. He did that as a Panther. Maybe some of you guys remember this play. Bobby Bell is a great one and with that all awards he got. That is something to stand on. One thing I have to put in is the era. Some of the players today would have been a monster back then due to the size.

One of the example is this. Jim Bunch was All American Tackle from Alabama in 1979. He was a starter since 3rd game in his freshman year. He was also All SEC for three years and won a lot of awards. The thing is he is 6' 1" and half inches tall and weighted 240 during that span flash forward to now, Derrick Henry is up for award for RB in SEC and possible All American. He is 6' 3" and weight 248 pounds and he is a FREAKING RUNNING BACK. Back in 60's to 80's , the coaches would put Derrick Henry as a lineman!

Don't get me wrong, but 98' Champion, we couldn't really put one player as best player of all time in NC. That would be insult to some of the players that being mentioned as well beside Bobby Bell. He is ONE of the greatest players that came out of NC. Julius Pepper, Flip, and bunch of others that play the game as a great players. Just imagine if Julius Pepper playing back in 60's, he would have a TREMENDOUS career in NFL due to his size. (they probably wouldn't know what to do with him)

Since you 98' Champion, you were not clear with the title; What about Lawrence Taylor, HE change the game IN NFL. After he sacked Joe Thiesman and broke his leg, NFL realize that they have to get a great left tackle in order to protect the blind side. He did come from UNC. I know he wasn't born in NC. Anyway, there are many great players, it would be fun to put down all time best for each position from NC.

I would like to put down all time punter from HS days, Mike Thomas. I wish he did not concentrate as a QB at UNC because I felt that he would have been NFL punter. I do know he also enjoy playing baseball and try for majors after UNC. Correct??? anyone? He can kick a mile!

It's Peppers, not Pepper. But I do think that he is one of the greatest ATHLETES to ever come out of NC. I think he is the only person to ever play in a Super Bowl and a Final Four. The second pick in the NFL draft, I'm sure he would have been a first round draft pick in the NBA draft as well, had he chosen to go that route. SWE was in his school's conference and I remember playing against him in football, basketball, and track. People don't know that he was a running back in high school. He played SOME defense, but his focus was offense until he went to UNC. I wholeheartedly believe that had he came along in the 60s, his career would have rivaled that of Bell.

Reactions: mactazheels
Bobby Bell of the old Cleveland High in Shelby- went to Univ. of Minnesota- drafted by Kansas City Chiefs in 1963` 6 time AFL all star-2 time college first team all American-5 time all AFL first team selection 1965,1966,1967,1968 & 1969 -AFL champions 1966 & 1969-Superbowl Champion in 1969-1962 Outland trophy-NFL 1970's all decade team-his number 78 retired by Kansas City- WHO TOPS THAT FROM N.C,

Keenan Allen and Carl Pickens have a lot of similarities, you'd be hard pressed to find athletes from two different generations so similar in achievements.

Pickens and Allen both played safety and wide receiver in high school, both were ranked among the top 5 high school players in the country their senior year (Pickens actually ranked #1 by one source, only other NC player ranked #1 coming out of high school by any source: Chris Leak) both were viewed as potentially better NFL prospects at free safety but ended up at wide receiver. Both were high school track stars, both are 6'2-6'3, both fell in the NFL draft despite being obvious 1st round talents (Carl attitude/Keenan injury) both won the NFL offensive ROY award. Now all Keenan has to do is become an All Pro and he looks on course to do that this season.

The edge goes to Pickens in the comparison because he was a Freshman All American safety at Tennessee (four interceptions in only four games at safety, '90 Cotton Bowl Defensive MVP) before being moving to wide receiver full time (where he also became an All American) and he was a bit faster than Allen.

As an added bonus Pickens averaged 27 points per game in basketball, was a D1 player in that sport had he chose that route.

Last edited:
You have to remember that Allen came from brand new high school, Northern Guilford. He went to California which is a bit of different breed from Tenn as far as starting on the team as a freshman. What's more, Carl played in late 80's and Tenn was not that good so he had a better chance to start. Both players are great and in my eyes, they are even as of right now, Kennan Allen could have better pro career but that remain to be seen. His career is not over yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT