ADVERTISEMENT

Best football player to ever come out of NC

There are 8 Hall of Famers from North Carolina...good luck finding many who would agree with you that Bell was the best of them.

I would think for most, Sonny Jerguson or Bruce Matthews would top their lists.

There was never a more dominant highschool player in NC than James McDougald from old Maxton High. He was unstoppable in highschool and went on to star at Wake Forest.

Reactions: RaidersRocks
JURGENSON PLAYED THE GLAMOUR POSITION OF QB.BOBBY BELL PLAYED LB AND PREHAPS [PLAYED ON THE BEST SET OF LBS IN HISTORY] LYNCH AND LANIER. I WOULD GO WITH BOBBY BELL. MOST WOULD GO WITH JURGENSON SAW BOTH PLAY IN THIER PRIME.

There are 8 Hall of Famers from North Carolina...good luck finding many who would agree with you that Bell was the best of them.

I would think for most, Sonny Jurgensen or Bruce Matthews would top their lists.

Bruce Matthews played high school football in California at Arcadia

Reactions: mbdfan
Matthews was born in NC but not raised here. Think his father was a business executive after he finished his NFL career and was originally from SC.

Since Bell was mentioned I think the thread means best ever born in the state of North Carolina. 14 pro bowls. HOF. 19 year career. Father, brother, and sons. Gene pool was deep.

With Minnesota:

2 time All-American ('61-'62)
Outland Trophy Winner ('62)
3rd in Heisman voting as a DEFENSIVE LINEMAN ('61)
1960 National Champion
College Football Hall of Fame
College graduate May 14, 2015

With Kansas City:

AFL All-Star selection (1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969)
5× First-team All-AFL selection (1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969)
Second-team All-AFL selection 1964
AFL Champion, 1966 and 1969
Super Bowl IV Champion, 1969 season
AFL All-Time Team
3x NFL Pro Bowl selection (1970, 1971, 1972)
First-team All-Pro selection 1970)
Second-team All-Pro selection 1971
NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
Kansas City Chiefs retired his number 78

Now, tell me one better and more accomplished! End. Of. Discussion.

With Minnesota:

1960 National Champion

With Kansas City:

AFL All-Time Team

I can,t.

With Minnesota:

1960 National Champion

With Kansas City:

AFL All-Time Team

Marvin Powell had a great career but not HOF like Bell but he did make 5 pro bowls and is in the college HOF.

The messenger and the style of delivery here has a major influence on how the message is perceived. Thread travels somewhere between genuine admiration and fighting back laughter.

Anyway, after sometime has passed you can throw Julius Peppers in the conversation, at least on the same dartboard.

Julius Pepper is freak of nature. I saw him catching a guy from scoring a TD from other side of sideline. It was unreal. Pepper was on near side of the football field (near sideline) and ran all the way to far side of the field to catch the guy from scoring. He did that as a Panther. Maybe some of you guys remember this play. Bobby Bell is a great one and with that all awards he got. That is something to stand on. One thing I have to put in is the era. Some of the players today would have been a monster back then due to the size.

One of the example is this. Jim Bunch was All American Tackle from Alabama in 1979. He was a starter since 3rd game in his freshman year. He was also All SEC for three years and won a lot of awards. The thing is he is 6' 1" and half inches tall and weighted 240 during that span flash forward to now, Derrick Henry is up for award for RB in SEC and possible All American. He is 6' 3" and weight 248 pounds and he is a FREAKING RUNNING BACK. Back in 60's to 80's , the coaches would put Derrick Henry as a lineman!

Don't get me wrong, but 98' Champion, we couldn't really put one player as best player of all time in NC. That would be insult to some of the players that being mentioned as well beside Bobby Bell. He is ONE of the greatest players that came out of NC. Julius Pepper, Flip, and bunch of others that play the game as a great players. Just imagine if Julius Pepper playing back in 60's, he would have a TREMENDOUS career in NFL due to his size. (they probably wouldn't know what to do with him)

Since you 98' Champion, you were not clear with the title; What about Lawrence Taylor, HE change the game IN NFL. After he sacked Joe Thiesman and broke his leg, NFL realize that they have to get a great left tackle in order to protect the blind side. He did come from UNC. I know he wasn't born in NC. Anyway, there are many great players, it would be fun to put down all time best for each position from NC.

I would like to put down all time punter from HS days, Mike Thomas. I wish he did not concentrate as a QB at UNC because I felt that he would have been NFL punter. I do know he also enjoy playing baseball and try for majors after UNC. Correct??? anyone? He can kick a mile!

Don't get me wrong, but 98' Champion, we couldn't really put one player as best player of all time in NC. That would be insult to some of the players that being mentioned as well beside Bobby Bell.

Sure you can...lol. With his accolades, there is no one close. Was Peppers 3rd in voting for the Heisman as a defensive lineman? Peppers was good and still is. Saying Bell answers this question is not an insult to anyone else? Who is the best NFL quarterback of all time? My vote goes to Joe Montana...that's not an insult to any of the other great qbs like Brett Farve or Terry Bradshaw. There can be a single best and no one defines that better than Bell.

Did some internet fact checking after thinking about this for a while. What about Carl Eller? Remembered watching him play when I was young so looked up his stats,
2 time All American at Minnesota while playing BOTH ways
Runner up for the Outland Trophy 1963
College Football Hall of Fame 2006
6 time Pro Bowler
5 time All Pro
2 time second team All Pro
All Conference 7 times
1971 NFL Defensive Player of the Year
133 1/2 Sacks
1969 NFL Champion
3 time NFC Champion
Vikings won 10 Central Division Titles in 11 years beginning in 1968
NFL 1970s All Decade Team
Pro Football Hall of Fame 2004

Reactions: '98 State Champion
Chester McGlockton- Whiteville HS, Clemson, NFL.
McGlockton was drafted by the Los Angeles Raiders in the 1st round (16th overall) of the 1992 NFL Draft. He played six seasons with the Raiders, earning all four of his Pro Bowl appearances with them. McGlockton also played for the Kansas City Chiefs, the Denver Broncos, and ended his career by playing one season with the New York Jets. McGlockton finished his NFL career with 51 sacks including a career season high of 9.5 in 1994.

McGlockton was good but not the best player from North Carolina in high school, college or pro.

MDBfan.....McGlocton was not a good player......he was a GREAT player! Carl Pickens was a GREAT player too. Geez! Like I said in earlier post, any of us could not really pick the BEST player from NC due to different ERA! I believe that anyone that play in NFL and get a pro bowl is a GREAT player from NC. We do produce great players from our state indeed.

Reactions: portcity FB
MBDfan ......you said GOOD.....that is plain wrong! He was a great player PERIOD. You said it!

MBDfan ......you said GOOD.....that is plain wrong! He was a great player PERIOD. You said it!
great high school player, great college player, good pro player. my god, are semantics really that important to you?

MDBfan.....McGlocton was not a good player......he was a GREAT player! Carl Pickens was a GREAT player too. Geez! Like I said in earlier post, any of us could not really pick the BEST player from NC due to different ERA! I believe that anyone that play in NFL and get a pro bowl is a GREAT player from NC. We do produce great players from our state indeed.
Chester is as good high school player that played in NC. Ask coaches played against him. He has to be in discussion.

Clyde Simmons was a better pro than high school player. It can be argued he was not even in the top 5 players on New Hanover's 1981/1982 team. However, Clyde was a beast in the NFL with 121 sacks (18th all time), 19 in one season. Two int's for touchdowns and almost a 1000 career tackles. A good guy too.

Clyde Simmons was a better pro than high school player. It can be argued he was not even in the top 5 players on New Hanover's 1981/1982 team. However, Clyde was a beast in the NFL with 121 sacks (18th all time), 19 in one season. Two int's for touchdowns and almost a 1000 career tackles. A good guy too.

I remember a kid name Boney? Is that right? THat kid was a bEast

My vote for 2nd on the list to Bell...goes to Ted Brown from High Point Andrews/NC State/Vikings

NC State's Ted Brown still holds the record for most rushing yards in the ACC for a RB 4602yds (51TDs) finished 6th in the Heisman voting. He's in the College Football Hall of Fame
Running Back
Brown was drafted in the first round in 1979 and became a starter that year, a position he held through the 1985 season. He led the team in rushing touchdowns six times, a Vikings record that he shares with Chuck Foreman. He is 4th all-time among all Vikings with 40 rushing touchdowns. He has been named one of the 50 greatest Vikings.

A close 3rd who will pass Ted Brown would be Julius Peppers. Roman Gabriel is my 4th on the list

Photos, Video, and More About Ted Brown

Last edited:
wildcack 78, don't forget about Trot Nixon. Great high school Qb, wish he would stuck to football.

NO NO NO... I had seen him playing for Wilmington Legion team in State final against Kernersville Post 36 back in early 90's . He was the best HS baseball player I had ever seen. He made right decision going to Boston Red Sox. He won a ring and stay in the big show about 17 years? A friend of mine saw him in football and said he was a tremendous QB. He was offered to go NC State but turn it down to go Boston Red Sox.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT