ADVERTISEMENT

ALBEMARLE BULLDOGS FOOTBALL COACH 2016?????????

Guess we can assume the guy has been hired. The job is no longer listed on SCS website. His name is Jim Mason. He teaches PE/Health at WSMS. Understand he coached at NS in the late 2000's. Friend of mine who knows him said he had very abrasive personality, temper, but that he respected him. That's all I know. Remember I said ASSUMING!!!

That description looks like Coach Gaster and we all know what he did.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Just learned he runs a wing-T offense and a standard defense. Somebody explain the wing-t to me. I love football but that's all. lol

Just learned he runs a wing-T offense and a standard defense. Somebody explain the wing-t to me. I love football but that's all. lol

I am optimistic to hear that Jim has been hired. I have never found him to be abrasive, and quite frankly I don't think he was given a fair chance at NSHS. He took over an absolute mess, and the team improved by his second year if I remember correctly. They were still in 2-A at the time and playing schools like Monroe, Forest Hills, Mt. Pleasant, Parkwood, Piedmont, etc. However, the community up there was going through coaches like a baby goes through diapers, and was not willing to give him any more time. I believe he was an assistant under Donnie Kiefer at East Carteret (Kiefer is at Central Cabarrus now), and worked with some good teams down there.

Buddy, the wing-t has been the bread-and-butter offense for schools like Charlotte Catholic and Starmount in the past, and West Montgomery ran it when BW Holt was coaching there. It incorporates a lot of misdirection and can be tough to stop when run well. There will be some learning curve for them to learn the techniques, but I don't foresee it being anything like the dismal double wing experiment last year.

I hope the community will get behind Coach Mason and the Dogs.

Last edited:
More double wing.... The wing is not fully for Albemarle. A Pro Set or pistol better suits Albemarle. It gets their athletes in space!

I'm going to be optimistic about the new coaching hire because surely it will be better than what we got last year. Go Dogs.

Coach Mason knows his stuff but his patience can run thin. You guys might be right and he's a great hire. I simply question whether this situation is any better than the situation he inherited at North Stanly in 2008. In some ways I admire him that he didn't kowtow to the parents and fans but he could have handled the situation better. Maybe he's learned from the past. Time will tell.

The wing can be an equalizer when you need to control tempo. A good year this year would be .500. To expect otherwise is living in the past. The program hit bottom last year. Chatham would have beat them if they had played the first quarter like they did the second half. Albemarle lacks numbers. Until they get some quality depth, the deeper rosters will wear them out. I do think the wing, although not the traditional attack of the Dogs, ...the wing gives them a chance to keep the defense off the field. It is not a come-from-behind attack. The double wing is simply a variation. The problem in the four games I saw last year was the lack of balance in the attack. There was no rhyme or reason to the play calling. I wish the new guy much success. The NCC needs to invite him over for lunch.

Think I would right now take a .500 season in a minute. Can always wish for better but I think that is more realistic.

Was told the high school would net 75 from WS. How many play football is anybodys guess.

More double wing.... The wing is not fully for Albemarle. A Pro Set or pistol better suits Albemarle. It gets their athletes in space!

One of the most explosive offenses I have seen in recent years was Butler 2009 and they were a base Wing T scheme with probably one of the most dynamic players I have watched play getting in space from a wing and slot position. It can be used in different fashions. I think the Wing T can work with any players but the players have to buy in and the staff has to coach it.

Reactions: sway1532
I saw in the SNAP where they were probably going to grandfather the seniors from West and not make them change schools for their senior year which is the right thing to do.

I thought it should have been for all rising juniors and seniors. Also, if a person that is a junior or senior has a sibling they should be allowed to stay. Never want to split the family up.

Wait and see if Melvin "Tuna" Poole and his cronies will start crying out "we are the victims" card before too long. Electing Poole with anything associated with education is stupid.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
The Endy people are complaining loudly but sending students that live east of Endy to AMS and AHS is 100% the correct move.

The Endy people are complaining loudly but sending students that live east of Endy to AMS and AHS is 100% the correct move.

Dows not surprise me at all. The Endy area will be a group that will have the most at stake. They will raise cain until they get some help. Let's see if Burr and Poole come flying to their rescue. My guess is that they will do nothing.

Saw your on the board ocdavis. What's Thomasville looking like this year?
Who knows, Buddy?
I was told we had significantly more numbers out in the spring than in many years. How many remain come August is anybody's guess. Some good talent returns, but some big holes to fill too. We lost two of our best assistant coaches, which will sting.
The biggest challenge for Thomasville will be keeping the players on the field. Discipline has been a huge issue at the high school. The school board has changed some policies that could affect eligibility. It needed to be done and hopefully our next superintendent will strengthen it even more and make discipline a priority.
If Coach Maxwell can convince the players to go to class, work on academics even harder than athletics, and stay out of trouble off the field, we'll be fine. But that would be a test, even of those vanishing breed coaches you listed on another thread. Until our kids recognize that playing sports is a privilege, not a right, you never know what team you will have. Hopefully, ours are learning. Unfortunately, Thomasville is not alone in that regard.

We're having a lot of the same problems you're facing in Tville. Discipline is a major issue. Last year we hit rock bottom. Another new HC this year. Don't know if this year will be any better. These kids just don't get it. At least the school will be open hopefully for many years to come. The school board finally appreoved redistricting which will help with our dropping enrollment. Guess we will see you in Aug.

Come on over Sway. I catch the best game in Charlotte every week. It's on a whole different level. We are hosting a national 7 on 7 tournament next weekend at Rocky River High. I got to work earlier in the day but will be out there to see the boys. NC Elite! Last year was our first year hosting a big tournament and it went well. We had teams from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, New Jersey, Texas etc. We won the event but it was tough. We have players from all over on the team Mallard Creek, Butler, Indy, Davidson Day, Mountain Island, Providence Day, surrounding schools, etc. Here is a recap of last year -

https://n.rivals.com/news/top-performers-carolina-classic-7-on-7

I got a chance to talk to Christian Wallace out of Texas. He was a freakish athlete. 6'2 217lbs playing corner and dominated. He is a kid to follow.

I'm definitely going to check out some games over that way. It's gonna feel strange at first, but I'll get used to it.

One of the most explosive offenses I have seen in recent years was Butler 2009 and they were a base Wing T scheme with probably one of the most dynamic players I have watched play getting in space from a wing and slot position. It can be used in different fashions. I think the Wing T can work with any players but the players have to buy in and the staff has to coach it.

Albemarle ain't no Butler....

Albemarle ain't no Butler....

Thank you! I have had more than a few Albemarle fans tell me the Dogs were near the same level with Butler or Indy. Still remember an Albemarle fan telling me in 2001 that Indy would not be to control the Albemarle running game and they would grind Indy down. Although Davidson Day is a private school, I think that game made people understand that there is a reason for classifications.

The purpose of the statement regarding Butler was that the Wing T can be used as a base to do different schemes with. I like a read option offense that allows the QB to ride the running back and also drop off the play action to pass the ball. Richmond did well with it. Regardless of what you run it all starts up front.

Lol, Even though Albemarle 2001 team was one of the best teams in the state and historic, Chris Leak and Indy would have taken Albemarle to the woodshed with no Vaseline. Riley would have smoked Albemarle DB's... even though we had D1 talent out there.

You right, it does start up front. I'm not sure what type of team Albemarle will have, but I know it will be a "South Davidson" type team compared the teams in the past....even 2006. I don't expect them to have a good line on O or D.

I expect a turnout of 40(Total) come August. @Buddy Rich the 2 platoon days are over...

I was informed of some decent new about the way this are going, but being the person that I am, I ain't saying ish.....

West Montgomery and the rest of 1A will still pound Albemarle into the ground now doubt, as long as I see progress and "Effort" from these young men and "Staff", I'm happy.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
We're having a lot of the same problems you're facing in Tville. Discipline is a major issue. Last year we hit rock bottom. Another new HC this year. Don't know if this year will be any better. These kids just don't get it. At least the school will be open hopefully for many years to come. The school board finally appreoved redistricting which will help with our dropping enrollment. Guess we will see you in Aug.
Hope the school board and your citizens get everything figured out, Buddy. It's a travesty that you're going into a second year of such uncertainty. Is the Blue Dog/Red Dog game still the first week of the season?

Hope the school board and your citizens get everything figured out, Buddy. It's a travesty that you're going into a second year of such uncertainty. Is the Blue Dog/Red Dog game still the first week of the season?
I hope we still play Thomasville but we have no business playing Concord in the second game.

Assuming the contract with Thomasville was a 2 year deal, it should be at your house ocdavis.

I hope we still play Thomasville but we have no business playing Concord in the second game.

Agreed. Concord's coach is a class at so he is not going to scorch an opponent but there is only so much the coach can do. Cannot tell kids not to go hard.

Reactions: sway1532
Concord dropped 60 on Albemarle... If Albemarle drops 60 on any opponent we're the bad guys...

Something tells me this team will be a little better than last years team, but not by much.. I believe we are getting a better coach and who actually "Cares" with supporting staff.

off topic but, honestly, and I'm just a bleacher coach here, I would but last years running backs and the DE and LB position and leave them there. Last years WR at DB and leave them there, last years punter on the bench and leave him there.. Strengthening the D should be the main goal. At least this will give the O a chance to win and develop the young guys. And what I mean by that is, I wish the best for the senior class, but winning the ship is highly unlikely...so go out and hit somebody and give your underclassmen a chance to make Albemarle great again.

I think it is "how" you lay 60 on someone that reflects your program. Some teams can get their 60 in the first quarter and can put on the brakes. Some are chunking the pumpkin in the fourth to get their 60. A true football fan knows the difference...and YES...a coach should not tell his subs to lay down. (He can tell the refs to throw a flag if they break one...)

Reactions: ThrowItAround
Assuming the contract with Thomasville was a 2 year deal, it should be at your house ocdavis.
We do in fact host Albemarle this year, Buddy. I spoke with the Thomasville athletic director tonight and he said we will play each other in basketball as well. Looking forward to continuing the rivalry as each of us tries to rebuild.

Reactions: ThrowItAround
We do in fact host Albemarle this year, Buddy. I spoke with the Thomasville athletic director tonight and he said we will play each other in basketball as well. Looking forward to continuing the rivalry as each of us tries to rebuild.
ocdavis, do You still have that Running Back that broke it on Us so much last year. I know it will be a Good Thomasville Team

ocdavis, do You still have that Running Back that broke it on Us so much last year. I know it will be a Good Thomasville Team
We had three that broke long runs against several teams, but I suspect you're talking about DJ Spann. He and Josh Scott are graduating. Jahare Taylor Thomas was the third and he primarily played defense. May be the best of the three. He's back, but not sure where he'll play. Thomasville tends to put the best players on defense and rarely plays kids both ways on a regular basis. Supposedly, we had significantly more players out for spring drills, so there may be wild cards.

I have never had the opportunity to go see Thomasville/Albemarle play. I do know they have a great history and would like to go see them play this year. Both teams have had some great players over the years. I remember reading about TA McClendon from Albemarle in the newspapers on Saturdays. I remember back in the Allen Brown era they had some stand out players such as Vincent Steele and Tim Sanders. Thomasville had some great teams and great players during those days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT