ADVERTISEMENT

5-1 Robbinsville at 5-1 Murphy

If you could pay attention you would know that the time frame I referred to was from the time the rotation began and the comment to get better was made. Isn't that obvious.
Not really.. I just find it funny you get on defense mode now when it comes to that because even after that, we all know you were complaining about Murphy being in small 1a and worried about the adm's, however with recent success of Robbinsville, that talk has went out the window and don't hear about it anymore. We certainly didn't hear Andrews complain about the ADM's the past several years and they are one of the smallest football schools in the state.

I think we all were just tired of hearing about the crying of Murphy/Swain being last and also complaining about the ADM's all that time. It typically worked out better that way with Murphy/Swain being last because 9 times out of 10, that game was for the SMC Title.. why not have it last. Those times were also at a time when there weren't transfers, early colleges, charter schools, etc.. Murphy's enrollment at that time was hovering around 550 to 575, now this year.. I'm hearing the enrollment is 431 which is getting closer down to Robbinsville numbers now.
Its crazy how times have changed!

Tradition is important but it shouldn't stand in the way of improving the game. However, I understand your desire to uphold tradition. You should run for school board and force your school to embrace tradition. First on your list should be to reinstate the use of leather helmets with no facemasks, after all that was the first traditional headgear.
I dont get how it would improve the game at all i would think it hurts it more. yes was we lucky to have SMC championship the last game last year. But that only happen like 3 times. 2015 Robbinsville vs swain. 2017 Cherokee vs murphy and last year. Most of yall probably dont know when they changed it unless yall looked it up. But yall forgetting one important thing the 1st week of conference it was always Robbinsville vs swain. then the last game was Murphy vs swain. What made that game really great it was 90% always for the SMC title and that was when both of them was at there best before heading in to the playoffs

I dont get how it would improve the game at all i would think it hurts it more. yes was we lucky to have SMC championship the last game last year. But that only happen like 3 times. 2015 Robbinsville vs swain. 2017 Cherokee vs murphy and last year. Most of yall probably dont know when they changed it unless yall looked it up. But yall forgetting one important thing the 1st week of conference it was always Robbinsville vs swain. then the last game was Murphy vs swain. What made that game really great it was 90% always for the SMC title and that was when both of them was at there best before heading in to the playoffs
I completely agree BlackKnightPride.. I always remember the hill was PACKED with people, not just in the stands but on the hill itself when Murphy and Swain played. It was one of the best athmospheres in the entire state when the game was held at either Bryson City or Murphy. There was always a tunnel of fans lined up on the steps and onto the field welcoming murphy and it would always pump the kids up. There was nothing like a Murphy/Swain game that everyone talked about.. that was tradition.

But of course people complained and got their way and that tradition was taken away and since then.. there haven't been as many fans attend games not has there been that "need" to attend games. Football today was nothing like it was back in the 90's and early 2000's. How I wish it could go back to that!

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
Everyone talked about it was better for the game that they changed the schedule around. that hurts it more anything take tradition away. The whole SMC is built off tradition thats what sets us apart from everyone is tradition and how we all use to take pride in it. Thats all of the SMC is tradition. A bunch of mountian boys whipping anyone that comes to the mountain. When people start changing that then we got nothing.

It's streamed on fyntv
This might sound dumb, but bear with me? How would I find that network just google fyntv? I am sure you all have said this several times but I am still trying to learn all this history? How many times has Robbinsville won the SMC?

This might sound dumb, but bear with me? How would I find that network just google fyntv? I am sure you all have said this several times but I am still trying to learn all this history? How many times has Robbinsville won the SMC?
Lol bare** spell check maybe not sure what happened?

I completely agree BlackKnightPride.. I always remember the hill was PACKED with people, not just in the stands but on the hill itself when Murphy and Swain played. It was one of the best athmospheres in the entire state when the game was held at either Bryson City or Murphy. There was always a tunnel of fans lined up on the steps and onto the field welcoming murphy and it would always pump the kids up. There was nothing like a Murphy/Swain game that everyone talked about.. that was tradition.

But of course people complained and got their way and that tradition was taken away and since then.. there haven't been as many fans attend games not has there been that "need" to attend games. Football today was nothing like it was back in the 90's and early 2000's. How I wish it could go back to that!
I remember those times very well, and I too wish things could go back to the way they used to be. But I’m afraid we will never see times like that again. Too many old timers and their kids have either passed on or moved away, and a big part of the local population is now from other places. They don’t know or understand the tradition. Heck, a large portion of the kids who are in school now don’t even know the tradition or get excited for the games. There are just too many other things for people to do around here that didn’t used to exist. That’s why most games are sparsely attended (compared to the old days) and are usually so quiet that you don’t even have to raise your voice to have a conversation with the person next to you. Sad times indeed. But there is still the occasional big game like the one at the Hill tonight, so hopefully that will take us all back in time for at least a couple of hours! Would love to see that tunnel leading down the steps and out onto the field tonight like the old days! Go Dogs!

If you could pay attention you would know that the time frame I referred to was from the time the rotation began and the comment to get better was made. Isn't that obvious.
So a coach from Murphy told Robbinsville to get better? That’s sounds crazy to me lol

I knew which time frame you referring to, I also know why you used that time frame.

• Haha
So a coach from Murphy told Robbinsville to get better? That’s sounds crazy to me lol
You gotta keep in mind, at the time this comment was made, that it had been forever and a day since Robbinsville had beaten Murphy, played for a state title, or won an outright SMC title, and Murphy and Swain were both coming off very recent back to back state title game appearances in the same seasons (Murphy 1a Swain 1aa in 2011 and 2012), and both were piling up State and SMC titles just about every year. So Robbinsville really didn’t have a leg to stand on when they were leading the charge for the conference to rotate when games were being played. That rubbed Murphy and Swain the wrong way, and Gentry’s comment to Robbinsville rubbed the knights and their fans the wrong way. The war between Murphy and Robbinsville began in earnest then and is still raging with no end in sight now that consolidation is off the table (for awhile at least).

You gotta keep in mind, at the time this comment was made, that it had been forever and a day since Robbinsville had beaten Murphy, played for a state title, or won an outright SMC title, and Murphy and Swain were both coming off very recent back to back state title game appearances in the same seasons (Murphy 1a Swain 1aa in 2011 and 2012), and both were piling up State and SMC titles just about every year. So Robbinsville really didn’t have a leg to stand on when they were leading the charge for the conference to rotate when games were being played. That rubbed Murphy and Swain the wrong way, and Gentry’s comment to Robbinsville rubbed the knights and their fans the wrong way. The war between Murphy and Robbinsville began in earnest then and is still raging with no end in sight now that consolidation is off the table (for awhile at least).
That’s really interesting that a comment flipped the script. Anyway the pipeline had to be filling up with talent for Robbinsville or it would have just been a one hit wonder season.

That’s really interesting that a comment flipped the script. Anyway the pipeline had to be filling up with talent for Robbinsville or it would have just been a one hit wonder season.
Depends on where you want to start SMC been really competitive last 15 year with 5 Different teams winning the SMC championship since 2009 Cherokee won 1, Andrews won 1, Murphy won 5, swain won 5 and Robbinsville won 6. Out of all of them 2 years was a 3 way tie to share the title. 2009 was Robbinsville, Murphy and swain. 2017 was Swain, Murphy and Cherokee, so SMC been pretty competive throughout the years. Cool fact since 2010 a SMC been in a state championship game every year except the last 2

Oh it was, and still is. Robbinsville is loaded in youth football and at the JV level now, and they were then too. Murphy has hit somewhat of a lull in overall talent in recent years (to go along with a major coaching transition since Gentry left) but does still have some excellent young players on this year’s team and on the way from the JVs in the coming seasons. Murphy Just needs a little more time as a team and staff to grow, develop, and gel. They are well on their way.

Last edited:
Help me understand this comment?.. "So Robbinsville really didn't have a leg to stand on when they were leading the charge for the conference to rotate when games were being played"
Why?

Last edited:
Help me understand this comment?.. "So Robbinsville really didn't have a leg to stand on when they were leading the charge for the conference to rotate when games were being played"
Why?
Robbinsville struggled in the mid 2000 they had a couple of good teams at the time but would always get beat out by Swain or Murphy. Robbinsville had a share of the title in 09 but after that it was basically all Swain until 2014 rolled around when Robbinsville ran the table going undefeated. Since 2014 Robbinsville been in the picture more. The Mid 2000s Robbinsville struggled alot except for like 04 team but thats when swain went undefeated.

Oh it was, and still is. Robbinsville is loaded in youth football and at the JV level now, and they were then too. Murphy has hit somewhat of a lull in overall talent in recent years (to go along with a major coaching transition since Gentry left) but does still have some excellent young players on this year’s team and on the way from the JVs in the coming seasons. Murphy Just needs a little more time as a team and staff to grow, develop, and gel. They are well on their way.
No not really Robbinsville had good teams come threw little league don't get me wrong. But that was really just a group of boys on the same team. Now Robbinsville Youth is loaded last year out of the 4 championships Robbinsville won 3 of them. This year all there youth team will have a good chance to make the playoffs. Same way it is for swain. Swain got a great youth football league. But i wouldnt say it was always like this for Robbinsville.

Why?
Because at the time they hadn’t won anything in forever…..

But that’s just my opinion. They are doing more than fine nowadays.

Lol...thought that what you was saying. So if you don't win "anything" you have no say in the way the conference is run?
Silly.
What’s silly is expecting things to change just because they don’t suit your wants or needs at that particular time. It shouldn’t have took Gentry telling Robbinsville to “get better” to light a fire under them. If they had requested a rotating schedule after the last decade of football, nobody would have said much about it, and even if they did, so what? Robbinsville would have earned the right to change it, on the field.

Last edited:
I thought no one should use good youth league teams as a barometer for later on in High School. I guess it just depends on what school your talking about.
Not sure who you are directing that to, but that Andrews group from last year sure did good in youth league. IMO if you can keep a good group of kids together from youth league on up, then youth success can translate to high school success. Unless your group of youth players stop getting bigger, stronger, and faster while everyone else’s do not.

What’s silly is expecting things to change just because they don’t suit your needs at that particular time.
What's silly is thinking that teams that finish under your team in conference standings shouldn't have a vote in conference business. And when they rightfully get one and out vote you...you whine about it. Silly.

What's silly is thinking that teams that finish under your team in conference standings shouldn't have a vote in conference business. And when they rightfully get one and out vote you...you whine about it. Silly.
Lol I assure you I don’t whine buddy. I don’t give a rats ass one way or another. You came chirping at me.

Lol I assure you I don’t whine buddy. I don’t give a rats ass one way or another. You came chirping at me.
No you were on here chirping. I hardly ever say anything. I was just hoping I misunderstood what you were saying in the comment I asked about. I'm glad every school has a leg to stand on and has a vote and voice in conference business. I'm done with this.

No you were on here chirping. I hardly ever say anything. I was just hoping I misunderstood what you were saying in the comment I asked about. I'm glad every school has a leg to stand on and has a vote and voice in conference business. I'm done with this.
But the question is who started the whining. someone had to start it. They didnt wake up and said i think we should change schedule to make it more interesting when they did that. someone started whining

I was on here having a discussion, and I gave my opinion on something that happened 10 freaking years ago! That’s it. That’s hardly whining. You are whining because you don’t like my opinion.

Robbinsville rolls the next 3 weeks at home.
Yep but I bet you don't role in the finals Big Oaks or Wallace Shelton stadium I think we have you all number I think we are are light years better than Murphy you can't hide we are coming we want rematch of 09 game we'd love take you wallet at Big Oaks to

Reactions: curtiscummings1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT