ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Foothills/NW/Mid State JV Thread

Conference standings will be up tonight and tomorrow for the final week.

A lot of interesting stuff going on still to go with just one week left.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
FH-JV-Last-Week.png

Last week in the Foothills does still have some intrigue on the line for once unlike last year.

The Greyhounds have at least a share of the title locked up after their shutout win over SC last week, they finally got another shot after letting one slide vs Elkin earlier in the year. They have to make the long trek to Hays to play North Wilkes. It's been a tough year to say the least for the Vikings but they haven't given up, much respect there. I expect their best Thursday.

East meanwhile survived a near upset last week by a nothing to lose West Wilkes team in Pilot. That win secured 2nd place for them and they still have somewhat of a shot of a split. However they gotta take care of business on Thursday vs a very beat up SC team. SC was without their starting QB last week and their backup got thudded by the Hounds, yet somehow he came back in, tough kid. They are playing for a chance to irritate their rivals. East better be focused in.

The real intrigue here in the conference is the battle for third place between the 'Bush and WC. Both teams honestly had no business being close to third at the start of the conference slate but they have woken up to play some solid ball. WC was just ran over in the conference opener vs NS and East had their way with them too, but after that they woke up and have been way more consistent on offense than they have all year. Defensively they haven't done super hot but they've been gamers late in the year. That come from behind upset over West caused a lot of draws to drop, mine sure did. The 'Bush meanwhile is struggling with both youth and injuries plus the fact they aren't as big as they have been, it's a different Bush squad due to that. Their upset of West honestly made North's season a lot easier, then the Hounds came to East Bend and bombed through the air the Falcons all night for a thank you present. However the Falcons have had their moments since then. They came close to scoring on East a couple of times to make it close, and they had a solid shutout over NW last week. If the Bush is getting more healed this game may be a barn burner. A win here not only would make a team's year but provide them with some momentum going forward.

West Wilkes is done for the year; their season is a mixture of both solid wins however disappointing loses as well. They played the Hounds well for a half but couldn't handle North's offense and their own mistakes killed them. They gave East all they could handle but couldn't overcome their size. The Forbush loss however was one that they never truly recovered from. Time will tell moving forward if they will do so or not.

NW-JV-Final-Week.png

Northwest wise it's still MA's playground; however both East and Starmount made them earn it this year. Neither game was a cakewalk for the Bears.

The 2nd place game between the Ronda Cards and the Rams honestly is the hot ticket matchup this week. Both teams are a ton alike in a lot of ways; they are two tough physical squads that love to pound the rock. Defensively they are both super good and haven't gave up hardly any points. East on paper looks to have the edge but that is deceiving as they had a rout over South Stokes last week. Before that these two teams were literally almost even in the points line. This game could be one of the best played JV matchups in the area this year and these two are setting up for a fun varsity rivalry the next few years.

Alleghany is done for the year from the way it looks however they managed to have quite the respectable year. They played the Rams super hard last week and had some nice W's to make up for the loses.

Elkin is also supposedly done for the year; granted Max Preps still has their JV matchup listed for Thursday night. Hmm. This one would honestly be an interesting matchup to watch. Both teams are struggling and need some momentum moving forward. Elkin started the year off hot with a win and a very respectable loss to a conference champion; then their game at Toast vs NS proved to be a disaster as their best lineman went down and they got steamrolled. They've never really recovered from it. South meanwhile has had a rough one this year on JV. Defensively they are having quite the hard time and offensively they are in transition. A W here would help get these kids off the ground. But time will tell if this game is even played or not.

MS-Last-Week-Corrected.png

The Mid State is proving to be another wacky affair for another fun final week.

West Stokes has clinched their share of the JV title last week with a super, super close win over a very surprisingly tough North Forsyth squad. The Vikings were humiliated in Toast the week before but they musta turned the corner in an epic way to nearly spoil the Wildcats title run which woulda caused a mess. With the win West wins their first JV title since 2016 and did it with their first JV shutout in 3 years. Not too shabby! It looks like the Wildcats are done for the year as their school website doesn't have a JV matchup vs Galax mentioned. Not a bad way to end the year for the Wildcats.

Reidsville meanwhile is still in the hunt for the gold theirselves as they host a streaky Morehead squad Thursday. If the Rams win then they will split it with West, if the Panthers manage to pull a NF then West will be solo champions. Rams have a lot on the line in this matchup.

Walkertown meanwhile let the title slip away with an epic loss last week vs an out of nowhere Morehead team who is streaking to a end of the year run. The Pack now has to settle for 2nd place as they play HP Andrews Thursday. Whoever wins this one will be the official runners up.

Last but not least is NF and McMichael who play Thursday. What looked like a potential title year has slipped away for the Vikings as they let games they shoulda won slip away vs Andrews and Walkertown, however last week proved they still have something left in the tank. McMichael meanwhile has had a year to forget as like the other two last place squads have shown their defense just isn't performing. Both of these teams need some momentum moving forward so a win here would be huge for either program.

Broken shoulder and strained elbow? You wouldn't embellish just a little bit would you? When is it not OK to pull one sophomore QB for the other one if you think he gives your team a better chance that week? What's wrong with a little competition vs. a culture of entitlement? Maybe competing for a job will bring out the best in you and make your football team better. Since when is a sophomore entitled to top play QB without accountability while in high school. I'm not speaking poorly of the young man just your mindset that the staff at NS did something wrong by playing the best guy. Sounds like to me they have a head coach willing to make tough decisions in the best interest of his football program. What happens if there is a QB competition at Starmount and the kid doesn't win the job? What happens then?
He does have a broken collar bone and a broken finger I seen the x rays personally. And yes there already is a qb battle next year for the rams so it will get interesting

Wilkes Central 40, Forbush 12

Way more of a rout than I figured. 'Bush must be still banged up or just not at WC's level. WC's offense woke up late.

East Surry 40, Surry Central 12

Rare time of repeat scores back to back.. odd.

East gets 2nd place in the Foothills.

HP Andrews 24, Walkertown 20

HPA wins a thriller over a stubborn Walkertown team for 2nd place in the Mid State behind West Stokes and Reidsville. Walkertown's chances for a 3 way split fell away last week.

North Surry 32, North Wilkes 0

JV Greyhounds wrap up the Foothills title with another solid game. NW played us with a lot of heart and we had to step it up, but after a blah 2nd quarter we put it away with a solid 2nd half. They drove to the 30 on the bench late but we stopped them for the shutout. Quickest game we played all year oddly enough.

Awesome season for these kids. Opener stunk but after that we played like a different team and got better every week. The Elkin through East Surry games was when I realized we had potential, that East game was huge for us. We earned it then and the season got fun. I hate it's done honestly; most fun I've had in a long time.

Super, super excited to see how we do the next couple of years.

North Surry 32, North Wilkes 0

JV Greyhounds wrap up the Foothills title with another solid game. NW played us with a lot of heart and we had to step it up, but after a blah 2nd quarter we put it away with a solid 2nd half. They drove to the 30 on the bench late but we stopped them for the shutout. Quickest game we played all year oddly enough.

Awesome season for these kids. Opener stunk but after that we played like a different team and got better every week. The Elkin through East Surry games was when I realized we had potential, that East game was huge for us. We earned it then and the season got fun. I hate it's done honestly; most fun I've had in a long time.

Super, super excited to see how we do the next couple of years.
Varsity has been a disappointment but the jvs have shined

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT