ADVERTISEMENT

****WNC 2024 HS football Helene affects****

BiltmoreCANE

Jan 7, 2002
First and foremost Godspeed to all affected by this storm. The damage, destruction, & loss of life in WNC is breathtaking even from afar!!! I wanted to start this thread as a place for information & more importantly prayer. Use it to check in, relay information both personal & team wise. My suspicion is there will be multiple seasons delayed, revised, or cancelled in the Mnts & possibly some in the foothills. While we all are passionate about football and our teams, it becomes secondary when you have a tragedy of this nature and magnitude. Sorry for the long post and again bless all you who have been affected both directly & indirectly.

Last edited:
Saw the Asheville field today and it was good....but the surrounding area around the school in the Biltmore area is devastating. I'm guessing no school for two weeks

Reactions: BiltmoreCANE
Freedom’s stadium flooded, but it’s not the first time since it sits right beside the river. No home games for awhile, so it should be okay.
I saw the river up at least 20 feet by there the other day as I went over the bridge near the school. I am told that the river was briefly over the bridge, but I didn’t personally see that.
For reference the bridge is usually about 40 feet above the Catawba River.

Freedom’s stadium flooded, but it’s not the first time since it sits right beside the river. No home games for awhile, so it should be okay.
I saw the river up at least 20 feet by there the other day as I went over the bridge near the school. I am told that the river was briefly over the bridge, but I didn’t personally see that.
For reference the bridge is usually about 40 feet above the Catawba River.
Was thinking about you guys when I heard about the Broad River being so high. Hope the clean up goes fast.

Here in Macon County the biggest issue keeping schools from being in session is no communications. Cell phones are down, most places don't have internet. It's a huge liability to invite every child in the county into your walls and not have an ability to communicate with the outside world. We're out definitely through Wednesday, but I cannot imagine we will be back in school before Monday and I think that is doubtful.

Per our normal guidelines, no school means no sports. We will see if they make an exception when the biggest revenue generator for the athletic programs isn't having games.

Yes all fields were flooded again. The devastation in Canton and Clyde is unreal! Sad!😢
For those that are familiar with Pisgah’s fields when the river crested it was into the top portion of the press box at the baseball field and reached the 3rd row of seats on the visitor’s side of the football field.

The highest river crest total in Canton before this flood was 22.8ft, this one measured at 25.8ft. I live upriver of Canton about 12 miles and the West Fork and Little East Fork of the Pigeon saw more water pushed through them than ever known before.

The boulders passing through the river sounded like thunder rolling through the valley even with the windows in the house closed and the sound of the rain beating down.

For those that are familiar with Pisgah’s fields when the river crested it was into the top portion of the press box at the baseball field and reached the 3rd row of seats on the visitor’s side of the football field.

The highest river crest total in Canton before this flood was 22.8ft, this one measured at 25.8ft. I live upriver of Canton about 12 miles and the West Fork and Little East Fork of the Pigeon saw more water pushed through them than ever known before.

The boulders passing through the river sounded like thunder rolling through the valley even with the windows in the house closed and the sound of the rain beating down.
WLOS said at one point, that the Pigeon River was moving 500,000 gallons of water per second. If you combined that with the water from the French Broad river, the total would like Niagara Falls.

WNC
Franklin High School
STRONG
Updated Varsity Football schedule after the NCHSAA extension of the regular season.
Friday, 10/11- North (home- Homecoming) (Kick-off @ 6:30)
Tuesday, 10/15-@Tuscola
Friday, 10/18-open as of now
Friday, 10/25-West (home)
Friday, 11/1-Pisgah (home- Senior Night)
Friday, 11/8- @ Smoky

WLOS said at one point, that the Pigeon River was moving 500,000 gallons of water per second. If you combined that with the water from the French Broad river, the total would like Niagara Falls.
I seen where the storm dropped 40 trillion gallons of water .. that’s enough water to keep Niagara Falls running for over 650 days .. enough water to cover the entire state in 3.5 feet of water .. that’s crazy

This is not football related but shows you how close Mnt communities are and how they support one another. Franklin’s biggest rival is Smky Mnt (Sylva). Smoky’s tennis team Senior night match was canceled. Franklin’s Senior night was vs Smoky. Franklin’s team awarded a bouquet of flowers to all the Smoky Sr’s and after the match they took the Smoky team out to dinner…..well done ladies!!!

Heard someone say they looked in the Bible and only worst flood they could find other than this one was the one in Genesis. Referring to Noah’s flood.
Well, when the flood came to Freedom High our wise men in the athletic department went down into the field house and gathered up every type of equipment they could find and carried it up to the Mt Ararat of our gym.
So now we just have to wait for the smiting of our enemies (metaphorical smiting of our sporting enemies, that is).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT