ADVERTISEMENT

****WNC 2024 HS football Helene affects****

BiltmoreCANE

Jan 7, 2002
First and foremost Godspeed to all affected by this storm. The damage, destruction, & loss of life in WNC is breathtaking even from afar!!! I wanted to start this thread as a place for information & more importantly prayer. Use it to check in, relay information both personal & team wise. My suspicion is there will be multiple seasons delayed, revised, or cancelled in the Mnts & possibly some in the foothills. While we all are passionate about football and our teams, it becomes secondary when you have a tragedy of this nature and magnitude. Sorry for the long post and again bless all you who have been affected both directly & indirectly.

Last edited:
Saw the Asheville field today and it was good....but the surrounding area around the school in the Biltmore area is devastating. I'm guessing no school for two weeks

Freedom’s stadium flooded, but it’s not the first time since it sits right beside the river. No home games for awhile, so it should be okay.
I saw the river up at least 20 feet by there the other day as I went over the bridge near the school. I am told that the river was briefly over the bridge, but I didn’t personally see that.
For reference the bridge is usually about 40 feet above the Catawba River.

Freedom’s stadium flooded, but it’s not the first time since it sits right beside the river. No home games for awhile, so it should be okay.
I saw the river up at least 20 feet by there the other day as I went over the bridge near the school. I am told that the river was briefly over the bridge, but I didn’t personally see that.
For reference the bridge is usually about 40 feet above the Catawba River.
Was thinking about you guys when I heard about the Broad River being so high. Hope the clean up goes fast.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Here in Macon County the biggest issue keeping schools from being in session is no communications. Cell phones are down, most places don't have internet. It's a huge liability to invite every child in the county into your walls and not have an ability to communicate with the outside world. We're out definitely through Wednesday, but I cannot imagine we will be back in school before Monday and I think that is doubtful.

Per our normal guidelines, no school means no sports. We will see if they make an exception when the biggest revenue generator for the athletic programs isn't having games.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT